Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah as much as I love Entryway and consider it likewise iconic (it gets referenced all over the place, Turbo Overkill being the most recent I've seem it homaged), I'd probably have to give the nod to Hangar. It's got a lot going on in a little bit of time/space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lost Souls should die to one shotgun blast.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
When I was a kid, I had the Doom II Strategy Guide and it had an interview with Romero in the back that I would read over and over (there was a section where he described what he thought Quake was going to be like), and I distinctly remember him saying that they redid E1M1 at the last minute because the original one sucked. I always wondered what the original E1M1 looked like.

There's also this video filmed just weeks before release and it shows Romero playing an early revision of E1M1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpEBUV_g9vU&t=575s

Milo and POTUS posted:

Has anyone done all the achievements in the quake remaster? Not 2 which is pretty sparse, the first one. Some seem kinda suspect, like the one where you have to get through something called a "pain maze" without taking damage, which seems unlikely to say the least.

(I'm pretty sure most of the Quake achievements are extremely rare because it counts anyone who played the game, even if they didn't play the remaster when achievements were added)

Volte fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 23, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Do it Volte. We believe in you.

Mordja posted:

Lost Souls should die to one shotgun blast.

Why the SSG is NOT OP. In this essay,

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Volte posted:

When I was a kid, I had the Doom II Strategy Guide and it had an interview with Romero in the back that I would read over and over (there was a section where he described what he thought Quake was going to be like), and I distinctly remember him saying that they redid E1M1 at the last minute because the original one sucked. I always wondered what the original E1M1 looked like.

There's also this video filmed just weeks before release and it shows Romero playing an early revision of E1M1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpEBUV_g9vU&t=575s

(I'm pretty sure most of the Quake achievements are extremely rare because it counts anyone who played the game, even if they didn't play the remaster when achievements were added)

I think he said the computer room was swapped out entirely several times, there'd be different things on the other side of that doorway until relatively last minute. E1M2 was the level they'd test things in during development, presumably because they were planning on either that being the first level or it was the first one they actually completed.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The music does so much of the heavy lifting for Entryway.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
New Civvie for Christmas

https://youtu.be/2-NuqCNQSqE?si=q4cIpOntEc5pWMUx

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Looking at you, godawful crate level.

Wow...that's my favorite doom 1 level. If you're talking about E2M2

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
E2M2 is a pretty good level, once you get out of the godawful crate part

manero
Jan 30, 2006

You're playing E2M2 wrong if you don't go through the entire crate maze with just the berserk, melting every imp.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

manero posted:

You're playing E2M2 wrong if you don't go through the entire crate maze with just the berserk, melting every imp.

Uh I think I knoooow how to use the berserk pack

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Doom and Doom 2 always kind of falter when they just do a maze. Mazes are boring.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I officially lost it at the new sewer count. What a game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

In case anyone cares, Cohh is streaming Deus Ex right now for some JC Denton goodness:

https://twitch.tv/cohh

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Guillermus posted:

In case anyone cares, Cohh is streaming Deus Ex right now for some JC Denton goodness:

do you have a single fact to back that up

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Quake is.... good. Very good, definitely a better single player than Quake 2. It's a lot harder than I anticipated, though they are very generous with health so. Not doing so hot on secrets

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a conversation that's been had so many times already but i really do have to put my opinion in for doom 2's expanded roster more or less being the thing that makes it for me compared to doom 1. it's why i don't really care about either sigil level pack. i don't want to shotgun 50 cacodemons to death in a level and that sort of gameplay really doesn't do it for me. even if doom 2 didn't have the super shotgun the expanded cast of enemies would still be what sets it way above for me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's a conversation that's been had so many times already but i really do have to put my opinion in for doom 2's expanded roster more or less being the thing that makes it for me compared to doom 1. it's why i don't really care about either sigil level pack. i don't want to shotgun 50 cacodemons to death in a level and that sort of gameplay really doesn't do it for me. even if doom 2 didn't have the super shotgun the expanded cast of enemies would still be what sets it way above for me.

If you’re playing doom.wad PWADs the chain gun is a notable upgrade over the shotgun and you use that as your standard weapon, not the shotgun. It’s not as bad as you’re making it out to be, the chain gun is a perfectly useful weapon on anything less than a baron.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

:lol: I didn't expect to see Civvie cover that piece of Lithtech jank. I accidentally stumbled upon it on Mobygames and was immediately taken with a) that I wish alien invasions were more common in FPS gaming, and 2) holy poo poo it looked loving bad.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Johnny Joestar posted:

Once I actually get time to finish it normal I want to try running through it with the doom 2 in doom 1 mod. I did that with sigil 1 and it was a good time

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

catlord posted:

:lol: I didn't expect to see Civvie cover that piece of Lithtech jank. I accidentally stumbled upon it on Mobygames and was immediately taken with a) that I wish alien invasions were more common in FPS gaming, and 2) holy poo poo it looked loving bad.

Definitely a case where the game should have been cancelled but instead they handed it to the Z-team and demanded something, any damned thing, be delivered, hell or high water. When it sounds like your developers are also your voice actors*, you know it’s being made on paper route money.

* I’m thinking back to FEAR: Perseus Mandate, which had that problem as well as some flat-out Quake II mod-quality character animation and machinima vibes. Felt weirdly nostalgic, even back then; I imagine it’s aged like curdled milk.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Uh I think I knoooow how to use the berserk pack

Yeah, the buff stops when the screen goes back to normal, obviously.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

catlord posted:

Civvie should cover more Lithtech shovelware. There's so much to choose from.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

UnknownMercenary posted:

Civvie should cover more Lithtech shovelware. There's so much to choose from.

lol I have a right-click context menu extension* that will let you highlight text and then search it in a specified website, visiting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LithTech

and selecting the game names to view on YouTube is a cavalcade of jank.

* https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/context-menu-search/ocpcmghnefmdhljkoiapafejjohldoga

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
On the topic of Lithtech jank, just tried playing Contract JACK, out of curiosity about it being so clearly a precursor to F.E.A.R in a lot of ways and jeez, even with the mod specifically to add widescreen support, that game just does not want to run at resolutions or aspect ratios other than the exact ones specified by the display menu.

And when I said "screw it" and just tried playing it in 4:3 just to make sure it would even be worth the effort of messing with it in general, the mouse aiming feels all wonky despite applying the "fix" for mouse sensitivity.

With Lithtech's notoriously long list of issues it's had since day 1 (the big ol G logo on my Logitech mouse seeming almost to mock me here), who knows why nothing about this game seems to want to work, but it's honestly remarkable that any good games got made with this cursed engine and sad that they're saddled with it (to say nothing of the copyright nonsense surrounding Monolith's old games), particularly the ones that don't get all the attention so there's less comprehensive info on trying to fix compatibility issues.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Quake down, good game. Definitely a stronger single player game than Quake 2, if for no other reason than it doesn't drag as much in the back half. I... like the shotguns better in quake 2? More fun with RL in 1, GL could go either way. Super nailgun more fun than hyperblaster, but I think I prefer the automatic weapons in 2 to the nail gun. What the gently caress is up with Vores, is there really no way for their projectiles to expire save getting caught on the level geometry? lovely enemy. Fiends suck too, and shamblers are probably a little spongy by half. My most hated enemy though is the weird rear end blob things.

1stGear posted:

Yeah, the buff stops when the screen goes back to normal, obviously.

I did think this for a looong time. Like had beaten the game multiple times on UV (and lower) a number of times.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Nearly all of the Quake enemies are bullet sponges; that’s one of my main gripes compared to Doom.

Fun fact: Sandy originally made the vore projectiles faster than the player, but Romero got so infuriated he yelled at him successfully lobbied to get the speed lowered.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Milo and POTUS posted:

I did think this for a looong time. Like had beaten the game multiple times on UV (and lower) a number of times.

I believed for 20+ years. I was pretty sure one of the retail manuals I had listed it wrong, but it may have just been the red effect tricking my 10 year old brain.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 24, 2023

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

david_a posted:

Nearly all of the Quake enemies are bullet sponges; that’s one of my main gripes compared to Doom.

Fun fact: Sandy originally made the vore projectiles faster than the player, but Romero got so infuriated he yelled at him successfully lobbied to get the speed lowered.

That's a good idea for a Brutal Quake mod or something

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Milo and POTUS posted:

shamblers are probably a little spongy by half

Something I'm always kind of curious about with first-time Quake players today... did you realize that shamblers are resistant to explosive weapons?

(Back in the day many players probably read that in the manual, but not so much these days.)

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

That's a good idea for a Brutal Quake mod or something

You might enjoy the latest version of Nightmare mode in the Copper mod.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

JLaw posted:

Something I'm always kind of curious about with first-time Quake players today... did you realize that shamblers are resistant to explosive weapons?

Explains quite a bit. Oh well, that's what the SNG is for I guess. Shame the lightning gun has so little ammo.

Anyway this cursory playthrough has got me hyped again for Wrath

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Yeah the super nailgun makes quick work of shamblers; I always save nail ammo for them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Doctor Bishop posted:

With Lithtech's notoriously long list of issues it's had since day 1 (the big ol G logo on my Logitech mouse seeming almost to mock me here), who knows why nothing about this game seems to want to work, but it's honestly remarkable that any good games got made with this cursed engine and sad that they're saddled with it (to say nothing of the copyright nonsense surrounding Monolith's old games), particularly the ones that don't get all the attention so there's less comprehensive info on trying to fix compatibility issues.

What are the "good Lithtech games"? I mean, NOLF 1 and 2 and AvP2, obviously, I've heard good things about Shogo, and I vaguely remember Tron 2.0 being pretty alright, but what are the others?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Fear

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Q1 obviously has better vibes by a million but I have a lot of personal love for Q2 and frankly I like most of Q2's armory and bestiary better than Q1's.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

What are the "good Lithtech games"? I mean, NOLF 1 and 2 and AvP2, obviously, I've heard good things about Shogo, and I vaguely remember Tron 2.0 being pretty alright, but what are the others?
If we're talking early Lithtech, Sanity: Aiken's Artifact was a perfectly 7/10 game for 2000.
If we're talking any era, Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War are generally positively received.

None of those are FPS, mind, but they are made in iterations of Lithtech.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

turns out they’re all good

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol I didn’t even know about this one. Looks good

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/arthurs-quest-battle-for-the-kingdom-review/1900-2880448/

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

ToxicFrog posted:

F.E.A.R and Condemned are the two big ones that you missed there.

Other than those, I'm not sure how good any of the surprising number of other Lithtech games are supposed to be.

As for Contract J.A.C.K, I finally did the sensible thing and used dgVoodoo, which solved the aspect ratio and resolution problems fine, though not the mouse aiming.

So the mouse aiming jerks up and down slightly when doing something as simple as moving left or right, like a milder version of Dusk's intoxication.

Edit: Found a Reddit post saying to turn down the polling rate of your mouse to the 250-125 range and turns out that works perfectly.

Doctor Bishop fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Doctor Bishop posted:

F.E.A.R and Condemned are the two big ones that you missed there.

Other than those, I'm not sure how good any of the surprising number of other Lithtech games are supposed to be.

Lithtech has some real high highs, but some real low lows. It was cheaper to license than iDTech or Unreal so you get lots of shovelware using it and since it was always a little jank most of the time bigger devs would prefer to use something a bit more stable. I think the only game that wasn't developed by Monolith (who, having made it, know how to use it to great effect) that made good use of the engine was Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault, which barring the terribly bad plane level was pretty decent.