Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Know i'm late to the game, but just ran through it over the last week and had a blast. AC6 kicks rear end.

One of the best paced games i've played in a minute. Got a really brisk campaign that know the right time to spice up its pretty fair and generous campaign with the ocassional roadblock boss or challenging mission and you're never far away from a great setpiece or sick encounter. It just knows how to keep the hits coming. Mech construction is great too, feels very rewarding to make a bunch of builds so you always have something for any occassion and even after I basically zoned in on a preferred playstyle of speedy close to mid-range mechs I still made like 6 variations of that type just to try out all the cool weapons the game throws at you. Highlight of the game was being stuck on Balteus 2 for a couple of hours before trying out a half-baked pilebuker mech i'd made chapters ago and never felt was that useful and then watching it wreck the boss in like 4 hits.

Writing's also pretty strong too. All the characters that show up more than once are pretty cool guys and its always a treat when you get a mission where one of your pals shows up. Even Iguazu, that useless loser. Do think the game kinda falters at some of its bigger ideas though. As you're running through the game there's this pretty clear thread of freedom and spreading your wings and making your own choices. The whole conversation around the real Raven fight is about this and Walter's last words are something like "you gotta make your own choices now" but then there's this other thing about the virtue of fighting for someone or something that needs you and both these things culminate with your best buds throughout the game who have been giving you all your missions, giving you one last mission each and although you choose which pal you stick with it doesn't really feel like you're doing anything different than you've been doing in the rest of the game. Just doesn't quite come together. Even moreso in the bonus route where you just kinda go along with this random AI's plan just because, and then kill it at the end. Though I do like how this random bit of UI that is the only thing that reacts to NG+ ends up being the secret final boss because its been studying your previous runs. That's very funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Neat! haven't played in a while. how do you unlock the new weapons? My save is at the point where I've beaten NG++ and at the start of NG+++,, so hopefully I won't have to go through the missions again

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

hey mom its 420 posted:

Neat! haven't played in a while. how do you unlock the new weapons? My save is at the point where I've beaten NG++ and at the start of NG+++,, so hopefully I won't have to go through the missions again

They are added to the shop for purchase.

The 1v1 match making is a lot of fun and I dig the new maps. Only blemish I'm feeling is the occasional person from across the goddamn planet being super laggy. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Are you able to matchmake with specific people or does From still not support that? I would love to host a tourney and fight with my friends with Battlebots

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CJacobs posted:

Are you able to matchmake with specific people or does From still not support that? I would love to host a tourney and fight with my friends with Battlebots

You can lobby up and manually set sortie status and keep a bracket somewhere else but you can’t do it all in-game

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Know i'm late to the game, but just ran through it over the last week and had a blast. AC6 kicks rear end.

One of the best paced games i've played in a minute. Got a really brisk campaign that know the right time to spice up its pretty fair and generous campaign with the ocassional roadblock boss or challenging mission and you're never far away from a great setpiece or sick encounter. It just knows how to keep the hits coming. Mech construction is great too, feels very rewarding to make a bunch of builds so you always have something for any occassion and even after I basically zoned in on a preferred playstyle of speedy close to mid-range mechs I still made like 6 variations of that type just to try out all the cool weapons the game throws at you. Highlight of the game was being stuck on Balteus 2 for a couple of hours before trying out a half-baked pilebuker mech i'd made chapters ago and never felt was that useful and then watching it wreck the boss in like 4 hits.

Writing's also pretty strong too. All the characters that show up more than once are pretty cool guys and its always a treat when you get a mission where one of your pals shows up. Even Iguazu, that useless loser. Do think the game kinda falters at some of its bigger ideas though. As you're running through the game there's this pretty clear thread of freedom and spreading your wings and making your own choices. The whole conversation around the real Raven fight is about this and Walter's last words are something like "you gotta make your own choices now" but then there's this other thing about the virtue of fighting for someone or something that needs you and both these things culminate with your best buds throughout the game who have been giving you all your missions, giving you one last mission each and although you choose which pal you stick with it doesn't really feel like you're doing anything different than you've been doing in the rest of the game. Just doesn't quite come together. Even moreso in the bonus route where you just kinda go along with this random AI's plan just because, and then kill it at the end. Though I do like how this random bit of UI that is the only thing that reacts to NG+ ends up being the secret final boss because its been studying your previous runs. That's very funny to me.

I'm 98% sure that one of the patches/DLC is gonna add some more missions and an additional 'route' or two, and I feel like the whole thing of Raven's handler showing up, having a few lines, then never being seen again after saying they'll keep 'close watch on this one' when they're saying they have a mission on Rubicon, and how that goes absolutely nowhere means we'll eventually get an update where we get a Raven Route or something like that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Foo posted:

You can lobby up and manually set sortie status and keep a bracket somewhere else but you can’t do it all in-game

Hell yess i;m going to get the poo poo beat out of me admiring all my friends' cool mechs and that could not be more exciting

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Finally got around to playing ranked, only got to D rank 1v1 before I got distracted painting my mech. The game continues to be Very Good.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CJacobs posted:

Hell yess i;m going to get the poo poo beat out of me admiring all my friends' cool mechs and that could not be more exciting

hell yeah

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is there like a ranked queue tool now in the game or do you still have to find random lobbies and join and go through the busy work before getting into a match?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rascyc posted:

Is there like a ranked queue tool now in the game or do you still have to find random lobbies and join and go through the busy work before getting into a match?

You press the ranked game button

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Rascyc posted:

they added proper ranked matchmaking along with a bunch of new maps and parts in the latest patch, it's great

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

they added proper ranked matchmaking along with a bunch of new maps and parts in the latest patch, it's great

The watch point map is really bad unfortunately, but everything else has been fun

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Captain Foo posted:

The watch point map is really bad unfortunately, but everything else has been fun

I'll never understand people picking Watchpoint for 3v3. It feels like mashing your transformers together and calling it a fight.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

War Wizard posted:

It feels like mashing your transformers together and calling it a fight.

hey don't kinkshame

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

Reaching the point in 1v1 match making where a large portion of the ACs are some variation of double zimmerman and double viento. The new shoulder mounted las cannons feel strong.

edit: Noticing that a lot of the more annoying matches are buerzel booster related. :v:

Droxis fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 22, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've done it!

I've beaten Armored Core!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

WHAT IS THIS SONG

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Finally got all my S ranks done; the one that gave me the most trouble was Stop the Secret Data Breach, but I was overthinking it and realized I just had to clown on Iguazu harder.

The new machine guns and the autonomous little drone launchers legit do a lot of work once you get the rhythm of never stop pressing shoulder buttons to keep replenishing your little laser fellas. Feels real good to just melt BALTEUS with them.

Alkarl fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 24, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Waffleman_ posted:

I've done it!

I've beaten Armored Core!

:toot:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

WHAT IS THIS SONG

lmfao

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Waffleman_ posted:

WHAT IS THIS SONG

thats what all armored core music used to sound like lol

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
i learned this recently myself by playing 4 and for answer

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

people didn't know fromsoft had that dog in em

(that dog's name is shoegaze)

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
like genuinely the osts for 4 and for answer sound so much like "friends goofing off in their garage and making an endearingly earnest set of rock albums that they had to record on casette tape cuz they didnt have money" and its so charming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTSZDsrDn7I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2vib83SYTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxhAnz0wwDM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuFMFe-T3rM

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

yep https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kLPPUQyLNA

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

This game has been in my backlog for a while and I finally gave it a crack but I think I made a mistake. I got stuck on the boss that does a bunch of drunken missiles, looked up a "best early game builds" video, and got turned on to the plasma rifles.

That worked great except they seem to be carrying me through the whole game. I've already beaten everyone in the arena with them plus anything shoulder mounted that will throw plasma. Seems like plasma is kinda OP.

I'm still having fun though so it's not the end of the world.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 24, 2023

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

there's a lot of builds that are op but most likely the real reason you're coasting is that you Got Good

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

there's a lot of builds that are op but most likely the real reason you're coasting is that you Got Good

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Thank you for believing in me, Armored Core Thread.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

like genuinely the osts for 4 and for answer sound so much like "friends goofing off in their garage and making an endearingly earnest set of rock albums that they had to record on casette tape cuz they didnt have money" and its so charming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTSZDsrDn7I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2vib83SYTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxhAnz0wwDM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuFMFe-T3rM

The OST for Armored Core was the first part of the series I got really into. 4's music is something else.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, even though there are weapons that are Extremely Effective in PvE (dual Ransetsus my love), I don't think any of them are powerful enough to trivialize the game on their own without you being good at Not Dying.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
stun needle launcher probably comes the closest but theyre also loving heavy so a lot of builds arent gonna go in on them regardless

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

thats what all armored core music used to sound like lol

It's all about the techno, drum and bass, and weird experimental tracks from AC1 and 2 gens for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g54DVpnxhqI

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I love how after three complete banger soundtracks from the 3-era between AC3, Silent Line and Nexus, Last Raven's soundtrack is just a bunch of weird experimental atonal poo poo like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDpsXl24v9c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-vEdG2TkaA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovXXZitwjKc

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Spent forty minutes running out of ammo on the third final boss before I realized he wrecks the sea spiders too when he phases

Anyway, cool game

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, while it's helpful to take out a couple of the trash mechs in the first phase to ease the pressure, you're probably best ignoring the spiders in the second phase because they really only seem to do the one laser attack you can avoid and they take too much time and ammo for how much pressure Allmind is gonna put on you while doing it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Just gave the people of Rubicon a wonderful Christmas present: death by space fire.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

wash bucket posted:

This game has been in my backlog for a while and I finally gave it a crack but I think I made a mistake. I got stuck on the boss that does a bunch of drunken missiles, looked up a "best early game builds" video, and got turned on to the plasma rifles.

That worked great except they seem to be carrying me through the whole game. I've already beaten everyone in the arena with them plus anything shoulder mounted that will throw plasma. Seems like plasma is kinda OP.

I'm still having fun though so it's not the end of the world.

All weapons are legit good and have their places in the game, the part where it gets going is when you find a weapon the just clicks with how you like to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Zelgameth1/status/1739303417682751785?t=AhW6pn7YqGvsnnN8QN4dNg&s=19

When you draw it that way...