Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LeisureSuit Canary posted:

Half-life alyx has terrifying parts. Same with half-life 2 with the Vr mod. Black Mesa's VR mod is in beta and has some issues. Resident Evil 2 and the other remakes have solid mods for VR though it can be a little clunky until you get used to it. Definitely scary. I haven't tried 7 or Village but have heard great things.

Doom 3 and half-life 1 with the quest mod are really good too.

Cosmodread has really good sound and atmosphere. It's a bit more gamey and is a rogue-like but it sets the horror feel really well.

I haven't touched Phasmophobia, The Forest, or the other co-op horror games but have heard good things. Though Phasmophobia seems to be much scarier if played solo.

Thanks! I picked up a few of these because they were pretty cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I’ve never considered anything in HL horror, but it took me a long time to play a full phasmophobia single player game. The resident evils are great. Playing through the RE2 mod was one of my favorite experiences ever in VR. and honestly the Jurassic world game is not terrible.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I'd love a good native quest horror multiplayer like phasmaphobia but not rear end.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

MixMasterMalaria posted:

The Prey VR mod is actually really good horror. You need a strong stomach though and the framerate is meh.

I was looking to try this but the base game isn't for sale on steam so I'd need to track down an old key or something to get the base files.

Half-life isn't really horror but in VR it hits differently in my experience. Like the majority isn't but a few of the segments earlier on in each game have a strong scary feel to them.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream
Can anyone recommend software for doing 3D CAD / Art / Sculpting? I'd like to try to use VR to make tabletop gaming figures and objects.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

With the steam sale going on what are the best horror games? Sure as hell not for me but my partner and maybe the more scary the better?

Just remember VR horror has a different sort of feel than flat screen horror. You're *in* it. I'm not scared of flat screen phasmophobia, VR phasmophobia though? I turn into a babbling baby when a ghost comes at me.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

LeisureSuit Canary posted:

I was looking to try this but the base game isn't for sale on steam so I'd need to track down an old key or something to get the base files.

Half-life isn't really horror but in VR it hits differently in my experience. Like the majority isn't but a few of the segments earlier on in each game have a strong scary feel to them.

The mod includes the demo so you get the first hour or so. The :files: are on archive and fanatical had keys as part of a bundle last week so they're floating around.

Half-life definitely has a horror component, alyx especially (be ready for scary poo poo in the dark) but I'm anticipating Ravenholm in VR when I get around to playing the HL2 VR mod.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
I'll say it again and I know its just jump scares but FNAF in VR is the only horror experience that legit scares me. Movies, Flat stuff, nothing phases me when it comes to horror. VR FNAF is just, idk. Something about it really gets me.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

In a flat screen game, the danger can’t come up ‘behind’ you like in VR, so the animal senses crank to High.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you are of that certain age to have both grown up with Chuck E Cheese but also of the age to have found the animatronic band creepy rather than fun, FNAF hits a certain nostalgia fear

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Beve Stuscemi posted:

If you are of that certain age to have both grown up with Chuck E Cheese but also of the age to have found the animatronic band creepy rather than fun, FNAF hits a certain nostalgia fear

The only thing scary about FNAF is the creator's beliefs

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Improbable Lobster posted:

The only thing scary about FNAF is the creator's beliefs

I mean you can think its not scary thats cool. But in VR its not the same thing.

But yeah agreed, gently caress the creator.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

It also preys on claustrophobia quite a bit.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

EbolaIvory posted:

I'll say it again and I know its just jump scares but FNAF in VR is the only horror experience that legit scares me. Movies, Flat stuff, nothing phases me when it comes to horror. VR FNAF is just, idk. Something about it really gets me.

I think there's a sequel to the VR FNAF coming out, too?

But yeah, I'm past the FNAF age so the rest of the FNAF games just kinda seemed stupid to me, there just arent really flatscreen games that are gonna be scary.

But I got the VR one and, yeah, it's legitimately hard to play because of it. It's not just the jump scares (though the tension of knowing ones right there gets to you) but it was just really well done with the mood and sense of scale. You're sitting there feeling kinda helpless, added to by the fact that I dont really know how to play it, look over to your left and there's a giant animatronic this close so you hurry to shut the door, that's good VR horror.

I saw today on Sidequest what looks like a port or recreation of Undertale in VR. I dunno, I'm not a huge Undertale guy but I am all about weird stuff like this in VR. Like this demo recreation of a Pokemon Snap stage but with a giant dickbutt added to the end for some reason.

I don't even know how I found out about the Pokemon Snap demo, I'd be archiving this stuff but there's probably tons that I dont even know exists.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Are you talking about Five Nights at Freddy's: Help Wanted 2? I don’t see the first one on steam?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Staying in a hotel for a christmas visit. Put on my Quest 3 and the guardian border was already set.

It remembered my guardian setting from a previous stay a couple months ago. Either I got the same room (among 1000 rooms) or it did it because the room looks identical. Either way, thats pretty good, considering my Quest 2 forgot my living room border all the time.

Time to binge on Asgards Wrath 2.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

weird... I use the Quest 3 consistently in the same room of my house which doesn't change and once a week it just forgets the boundary completely and makes me draw it again

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

weird... I use the Quest 3 consistently in the same room of my house which doesn't change and once a week it just forgets the boundary completely and makes me draw it again

My PSVR2 does this too. It's not suppose to and I know others who never have to redraw their boundaries.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

echo465 posted:

Can anyone recommend software for doing 3D CAD / Art / Sculpting? I'd like to try to use VR to make tabletop gaming figures and objects.

Gravity sketch is great and pretty popular. Best for concept art style stuff (I.e. rough and not worrying about it being too clean) but you can do more too.

I’ve heard good things about shape lab but never tried it.

I will say if any of you have artistic inclinations, just as a VR experience gravity sketch can be great. Being able to model a building itty bitty in front of your face and then grab it and in a second scale so that you’re suddenly sitting inside a vast hall is really great.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It forgets my room boundary about twice a month. My friends house I go to about once a month? Remembers that perfectly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BrainDance posted:

I think there's a sequel to the VR FNAF coming out, too?

FNAF: Help Wanted 2's already out.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

FNAF: Help Wanted 2's already out.

Well there you go. Is it any good? I cant imagine what you can add to it that would be substantial but at the same time theres a million FNAF games I think, so they must have something figured out.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

ChocNitty posted:

Staying in a hotel for a christmas visit. Put on my Quest 3 and the guardian border was already set.

It remembered my guardian setting from a previous stay a couple months ago. Either I got the same room (among 1000 rooms) or it did it because the room looks identical. Either way, thats pretty good, considering my Quest 2 forgot my living room border all the time.

Time to binge on Asgards Wrath 2.

When I hadn't had my Q2 for very long, I walked out of the upstairs room I was playing in wearing it and went downstairs with passthrough on to grab a drink. As I came down the stairs I realised it was showing the outline of the guardian I had set up a few days previously in my downstairs living room. I was outside the room, so just saw the boundary from the outside. When I looked upwards I realised it was also showing the boundary of the upstairs room I'd left which wasn't even in line of the sight anymore. I don't make a habit of wandering around wearing it much, and I'm not sure I'd even done it before that day, yet somehow it had figured out where those two rooms were relative to one another. Really clever. But yeah, also sometimes it just randomly fails to recognise the room I'm in.

Hattie
Aug 26, 2005

echo465 posted:

Adobe medium is very good, especially if you are more used to traditional sculpting and don't have experience with vertex/polygon things.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have not tried that but I will give it a try.
It's great. It gives you both a real world reference and helps to keep you cool.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

echo465 posted:

Kodon (on steam) is prrrobably the closest to what you want i think, it's basically zbrush in VR.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Strangely enough, I had sent in the request for a refund a few days ago and today, I got an email telling me that they were refunding me “as a one time exception”.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
VR horror favorites, in no particular order:

Into the Radius

Sclerosis - VR fan remake of the first Amnesia game
https://www.moddb.com/mods/sclerosis-an-amnesia-vr-remake/downloads/

The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners

Propagation: Paradise Hotel

Subnautica

Praydog's Resident Evil VR mods are excellent, if you have a powerful rig.

Dagon - Lovecraftian visual novels with VR support

Iron Lung VR (Quest native) - https://jackaapacka.itch.io/iron-lung-vr

Doom 3 has PC and native Quest VR ports

Half-Life: Alyx, Half Life, and Half Life 2 all have good VR options

Dredge VR mod - https://github.com/xen-42/DredgeVR

Multiplayer:
Phasmophobia
Labyrinthine
Forewarned
Left 4 Dead 2 VR mod - https://github.com/sd805/l4d2vr
GTFO VR mod - https://github.com/DSprtn/GTFO_VR_Plugin
Lethal Company (upcoming VR mod)

Praydog's universal Unreal Engine VR injector is imminent:
Visage
Demonologist

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Great list. Anything else you're looking forward to with the UE injector?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

MixMasterMalaria posted:

WRC.. at least early attempts seemed surprisingly good but only rendering in 1 eye but has supposedly improved since the vid I saw of 2mo old wrc and uevr builds

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Thoatse posted:

WRC.. at least early attempts seemed surprisingly good but only rendering in 1 eye but has supposedly improved since the vid I saw of 2mo old wrc and uevr builds

That's supposed to be getting official VR support at some point but who knows if that's gonna happen since the game apparently didn't sell that well and Codemasters got gutted by EA.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Typical of EA to learn the wrong lessons.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I'm trying not to get hyped up about it, but it's hard not to. There's a chance it wont work out as great as I'm thinking it will for a bunch of games but, still, you look at those videos of people playing test versions and it really does look like a legitimately universal UE mod, with motion controls and 6dof just kinda added to everything.

I am hoping this means I'll be able to play a bunch of RPGs in VR. I dunno if UEVR can handle making games first person, but Trials of Mana is UE and has a first person mod. DQ11 doesn't have a first person mod I dont think, but it's still UE. If it works how it looks like it'll work we're about to basically have 100x as many huge high quality VR games.

This is what I always kinda thought was the ideal for VR, like there should be explicitly VR only games too but since the number of VR headsets is always gonna be lower than the number of people with a computer or console it isn't really ever gonna make that much financial sense for companies to make these huge, AW2 or HL:Alyx type games when they could just make a normal game and sell a lot more, but what does make more sense it to make games that are both flatscreen and VR. If it becomes practically a toggle in the engine to do it, why not? And maybe this is a good first step to that.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
lol I have a buddy who likes trying vr stuff and I told him I got Premium Bowling ready for him and he was like, Bowling…?

Now he’s shouting strike when he gets one and telling everyone his latest high score.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you too, compliance and ethics leadership team :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Meatmas Day presents are up in H3VR and holy poo poo are they amazing this year :magical:.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lots of people got a Quest on Christmas day. On the slowest days of the year, on summer, I saw something like 3000 daily referrals. When Quest 3 released, it climbed up to 14k or so. Today it's almost 45k daily referrals.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I got a meta quest 2 for Christmas and I am actually really impressed at how well a lot of its functions work.

It's tracking is really good, as long as there is good lighting.
The hand controllerless tracking controls actually work pretty well.
The steam link app works really well.

This thing was a steal at the black Friday price my wife paid for it

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I got a meta quest 2 for Christmas and I am actually really impressed at how well a lot of its functions work.

It's tracking is really good, as long as there is good lighting.
The hand controllerless tracking controls actually work pretty well.
The steam link app works really well.

This thing was a steal at the black Friday price my wife paid for it

Post itt for a referral if you look into the Quest store. Enjoy your Quest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

njsykora posted:

That's supposed to be getting official VR support at some point but who knows if that's gonna happen since the game apparently didn't sell that well and Codemasters got gutted by EA.

I host a DR2/WRC league (Expert Historic) but don't even have a monitor at my rig so desperate times call for desperate measures! for reasons you mention plus the memory of going through the same blueballs playing DR1 after DR2 dropped with no (working) VR for 9mo-1yr. I feel compelled to take matters into my own hands if there's a chance and the early uevr vid was surprisingly smooth albeit in 1 eye. So far virtual theater has sucked, especially with SteamVR's dashboard having a terrible interaction with the game (0fps/system freezes) so can't recenter hmd. Tried vorpX and that was awful too the fake 3d effect makes my eyes bleed.

Here's the old vid if anyone is curious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gLL3as_nAo