Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Knightsoul posted:

Some reviewers rate it with godlike numbers, others say it's a boring walking simulator/woke game ......guys, I can't decide if Alan Wake 2 deserve my money. :negative:

It does

e: as a new page snipe, this post is true according to forums law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I don't think you should listen to anyone who describes something as "woke", OP

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If someone complaining about a game being woke isn't enough for you to completely disregard their opinion then lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ahti is too woke, obviously

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

People call it "woke" because it went from having one white male protagonist to him sharing billing with a black lady and also there's a gay minor character. That's it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
alan woke

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

People call it "woke" because it went from having one white male protagonist to him sharing billing with a black lady and also there's a gay minor character. That's it.

They're so minor I don't remember them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It was the FBC Agent

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was the FBC Agent

Ah! I snapped my finger in memory the moment I read that. They had a cute dynamic with Casey.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Where is the mayor setter dlc.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think the best bit in the entire game is when Alan is at the endless Deerfest and you find the Koskela Brothers’ TV ad for Alan’s book. The cutaways where Ilmo is trying to his brother to say something in the commercial but it’s just an empty background because he died is a great subtle joke

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Kchama posted:

Ah! I snapped my finger in memory the moment I read that. They had a cute dynamic with Casey.

I smell a buddy cop show

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I saw a video review on youtube and when they called Saga a Mary Sue character I just turned off lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I saw a video review on youtube and when they called Saga a Mary Sue character I just turned off lol
They clearly don’t know what that means

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kchama posted:

Yeah her and Casey commiserating over their ex wives was really nice.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

lol, wonder if they'd say that about literally any guy character with the same exact skillset.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think the best bit in the entire game is when Alan is at the endless Deerfest and you find the Koskela Brothers’ TV ad for Alan’s book. The cutaways where Ilmo is trying to his brother to say something in the commercial but it’s just an empty background because he died is a great subtle joke

That spot added like two weeks to the time it took me to beat the game, because there was a chair in the way to the kitchen in the back you have to go through and it blocked me from progressing. Prolly would have been easy to push past normally, but it was different to do that WHILE dodging instakill attacks from multiple people.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kchama posted:

lol, wonder if they'd say that about literally any guy character with the same exact skillset.

That spot added like two weeks to the time it took me to beat the game, because there was a chair in the way to the kitchen in the back you have to go through and it blocked me from progressing. Prolly would have been easy to push past normally, but it was different to do that WHILE dodging instakill attacks from multiple people.

Same thing almost happened to me. I was running toward the door and saw the chair slide into place and I got halfway through a “gently caress!” and then I hit the right spot for Alan to push it back the way it came.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
One bug I encountered that, thankfully, fixed itself with a reload was in Watery. One of the ferris wheel cars somehow came off and landed on the sole path forward into the amusement park, completely blocking all progress. It was just rattling around but otherwise wouldn't budge at all.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

One bug I encountered that, thankfully, fixed itself with a reload was in Watery. One of the ferris wheel cars somehow came off and landed on the sole path forward into the amusement park, completely blocking all progress. It was just rattling around but otherwise wouldn't budge at all.

Lol, somehow that just feels like an event that would naturally occur in the game :allears:

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Just finished the main game. I assume I need to play NG+ to experience the full story? Because the ending didn’t really seem like an ending at all

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kefa posted:

Just finished the main game. I assume I need to play NG+ to experience the full story? Because the ending didn’t really seem like an ending at all

Yeah, essentially. New Game Plus has several changes, some meta, that make it a continuation of playthrough 1. It might sound daunting but it won't feel like playing through the same game again, they made sure to change enemy timing and placements to keep it fresh.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, essentially. New Game Plus has several changes, some meta, that make it a continuation of playthrough 1. It might sound daunting but it won't feel like playing through the same game again, they made sure to change enemy timing and placements to keep it fresh.

Found a video on YouTube with all the new content and the new ending, doesn't seem worth it at all.. I initially thought it would be like NieR Automata, but it seems like it's literally exactly the same thing with some very minor changes and extra minute of the ending.

I still have no clue what happened to Alan's wife. Or what the ending means to be honest :\

Not quite sure why people have been praising AW2 so much. I was a big fan of the original so I was confident I'd like this but it feels like the story is all over the place (or perhaps I'm too dumb to understand it), the combat isn't much better than the original, it seems like Remedy tried to make the game similar to Resident Evil/Silent Hill with the maps and rooms you need to explore but they completely missed what made those games work. There's nothing in the rooms... no puzzles to solve, no items to collect and then try to remember where to use them. The entire game is basically a walking simulator. A good walking simulator but still not much more than that. I did enjoy exploring the forest, and the towns but I did expect a lot more.

I also expected to like Alan's story more because well it's Alan Wake, but his story was just so boring gameplay-wise. You just walk around and try different things until something works. I felt like I played it all on autopilot. Normally I like when the story gets a little fever-dreamy but I think they overdid it in this game.

And also gently caress jumpscares holy poo poo.

I'm a Remedy fan so despite everything I still had a good time but I did expect more from this, especially after Control.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

^^^edit: You could say a lot of games are just walking simulators where you go from point A to B. Calling AW2 one does it a disservice imo, and you get plenty of optional stuff to explore and poke at. Or you could just ignore it too. Also I hear people mention jumpscares but I didn't even notice a single one. Maybe I'm just inoculated to jump scares but if the game had any they were pretty tame and decently signaled.

Not to mention Saga's nursery rhymes to find and puzzle out. Alan's side is def a bit more sparse but I don't mind that too much, the aesthetics and plot board of his side kept it interesting.

Overall I'd say NG+ was a great excuse to play the game again but now you can do it with your tricked out guns you didn't really get to make use of before as much. P satisfying blasting through enemies with the Rifle or Flare Gun that've been fully powered up.

CJacobs posted:

I'm gonna be honest playing on Nightmare in NG+ I haven't even noticed any enemy placement differences. By timing do you mean on enemy attacks or enemy types appearing ahead of when they normally would?

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 24, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kefa posted:

I still have no clue what happened to Alan's wife. Or what the ending means to be honest :\
The game makes it seem like she killed herself over Mr. Scratch tormenting her, but apparently at some point between the end of AW1 and the beginning of AW2 she came back to Cauldron Lake and is now in the lake to try and help get Alan out.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

SirSamVimes posted:

who's the gay character?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kefa posted:

who's the gay character?

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was the FBC Agent

And you won't even know she's gay unless you sit around and listen to some optional dialogue between her and Casey.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Evil Kit posted:

I'm gonna be honest playing on Nightmare in NG+ I haven't even noticed any enemy placement differences. By timing do you mean on enemy attacks or enemy types appearing ahead of when they normally would?

It's REALLY subtle. I don't think the enemies attack faster or differently but Coffee World for example has more roamers come out of the well. The first one I noticed is at the general store. In NG there's a flow to it: The deer runs by and scares Saga, you walk closer, the dude breaks out. In NG+ All 3 of those things happen at once and he beelines for you. The jump scares also like all have very slightly different timing, the earliest one I think is one they omit from the Nightingale sequence only to have it happen after the tree 2 seconds later.

Kefa posted:

Found a video on YouTube with all the new content and the new ending, doesn't seem worth it at all.. I initially thought it would be like NieR Automata, but it seems like it's literally exactly the same thing with some very minor changes and extra minute of the ending.

[game critique go here]

And also gently caress jumpscares holy poo poo.

I'm a Remedy fan so despite everything I still had a good time but I did expect more from this, especially after Control.

Honestly this is about how I felt. As an experience it's one of my favorite games this year, but as a video game I'm cool with watching the NG+ changes on YouTube instead of playing it myself. It was a fantastically memorable one-and-done.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CJacobs posted:

It's REALLY subtle. I don't think the enemies attack faster or differently but Coffee World for example has more roamers come out of the well. The first one I noticed is at the general store. In NG there's a flow to it: The deer runs by and scares Saga, you walk closer, the dude breaks out. In NG+ All 3 of those things happen at once and he beelines for you. The jump scares also like all have very slightly different timing, the earliest one I think is one they omit from the Nightingale sequence only to have it happen after the tree.

I had to restart my NG+ save for the patch (was right after coffee world) but anecdotally I didn't notice any more roamers than the NG playthrough, seemed about the same. Blasted them all with a rifle so maybe it was harder to notice a difference compared to when I felt like I had to sneak around them before lol.

When I get there again I'll try and pay attention. As for the jumpscares, see one of my previous posts lol. :shrug:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
The Nightingale fight for me went differently in NG+. Like, it went the same as the original time but much quicker because I was ready for what to do, and then He summoned the giant storm again and I had an extended chase sequence before I could kill him for good.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Evil Kit posted:

^^^edit: You could say a lot of games are just walking simulators where you go from point A to B. Calling AW2 one does it a disservice imo, and you get plenty of optional stuff to explore and poke at. Or you could just ignore it too. Also I hear people mention jumpscares but I didn't even notice a single one. Maybe I'm just inoculated to jump scares but if the game had any they were pretty tame and decently signaled.

Not to mention Saga's nursery rhymes to find and puzzle out. Alan's side is def a bit more sparse but I don't mind that too much, the aesthetics and plot board of his side kept it interesting.

Nah, I don't think all games are walking from point A to B. Even the examples I provided (Resident Evil/Silent Hill) actually make you thoroughly explore each room and location and then use your memory and brain to connect everything and solve puzzles. In AW for the most part it actually felt like going to A to B without doing anything in-between, maybe occasionally killing an enemy.
I don't know how you can say you didn't notice any jumpscares... it gets especially annoying in the nursery home when you get them almost every other minute. They weren't scary or too loud, but I think there were definitely too many of them. And they were all the same, just a scary face with a loud noise. No play with the shadows and objects, or perhaps they could hide some characters in the dark so you run into them accidently... so many ways to scare the player instead of using cheap jumpscares.

I did do most nursery rhymes (the ones I could find) but come on... they barely even felt like puzzles most of the time. I did get stuck on some of the stash puzzles but they felt so pointless though... the rewards didn't seem worth it at all.

And the board while seemed like an interesting mechanic at first very fast became actually pointless since it doesn't actually help you, the player, solve anything in any way. At least that's how I felt.

What did you think of the first game?

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

FlamingLiberal posted:

The game makes it seem like she killed herself over Mr. Scratch tormenting her, but apparently at some point between the end of AW1 and the beginning of AW2 she came back to Cauldron Lake and is now in the lake to try and help get Alan out.

But what happens in the ending of AW2 then? Alan still has the bullet inside his head and he seems to be out of the dark place. Is Alice still there?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Honestly I thought the first game was even more "walk from point A to point B and fight", which is well... basically most games. Walking simulators are uhh, distinguished by 'not fighting, but light puzzles' aspect, not by having fighting AND light puzzles.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Kchama posted:

Honestly I thought the first game was even more "walk from point A to point B and fight", which is well... basically most games. Walking simulators are uhh, distinguished by 'not fighting, but light puzzles' aspect, not by having fighting AND light puzzles.

To be fair I played it a lot time ago but I have fond memories of it. I remember liking the characters a lot more, there was driving, the story made more sense to me at the time, I liked the "previously on Alan Wake" bits, but I guess it was mostly just walking too. I'll probably replay it, maybe not fully but this really got me curious.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kefa posted:

there was driving

All other points aside, I think AW1 might have my least favorite incorporation of driving in a game, relegating it to loading screens was a massive improvement here.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kefa posted:

But what happens in the ending of AW2 then? Alan still has the bullet inside his head and he seems to be out of the dark place. Is Alice still there?
At the end of the game, just about every major character is in the Dark Place. Alan, Saga, Casey, the Anderson brothers, Thomas Zane, and Alice

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

FlamingLiberal posted:

At the end of the game, just about every major character is in the Dark Place. Alan, Saga, Casey, the Anderson brothers, Thomas Zane, and Alice

so no one actually escapes???

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kefa posted:

so no one actually escapes???
No, it seems like once you get in it's really hard to get out permanently. Alan has gone in and out a few times, so have the Andersons, etc.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

FlamingLiberal posted:

No, it seems like once you get in it's really hard to get out permanently. Alan has gone in and out a few times, so have the Andersons, etc.

so Saga isn't actually on her way home to see Logan :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks

Kefa posted:

so Saga isn't actually on her way home to see Logan :(

nah, tor and odin show up in dark place new york for saga in ng+ and mention that ahti's left a puddle for her to use to get out.