Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
This movie is not very good. But then i think of Zack Snyder as a slightly different riff on Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich, neither of whom I care for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Panzeh posted:

This movie is not very good. But then i think of Zack Snyder as a slightly different riff on Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich, neither of whom I care for.

thanks, former hitler avatar guy

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

No Luck Needed posted:

you are correct. The point was to scare the villagers into complying.

And, specifically, making a bunch of villagers comply because they are scared is the point. The cruelty is the point. That's why Noble wants "everything." If he only takes the villagers' surplus, then he doesn't get the pleasure of dominating them. This is why the attempted rape is in the movie. The soldiers aren't going to rape the villager because they want to get laid and that's the only way they can manage it. They're going to rape her because they specifically get off on the violence. That's why that one soldier abuses Jimmy. It's not a calculated attempt to motivate Jimmy to be a more useful servant. The soldier is enjoying his position as someone who gets to dish out abuse.

Noble does want the grain: his soldiers do need to eat. But he goes to a village instead of a city precisely so that he can luxuriate in the extended domination. The insincere attempt at reasonableness, the escalation into personal violence, the demand that they give more than they can afford, and their ultimate destruction are all fun for him in themselves and not just as a means to an end. He can raze a city from the sky, but his troops, who are cowardly bullies, can't hold and slowly brutalize one the way they can the village. He can destroy a city, but he can't play with it the way he does the village. And, again, he does also want the grain. He's the one in command because he can channel his sadism into tasks that serve the empire. This is unlike his soldiers, whose attempted rape has no pragmatic cover. But on a personal level he's in it for the sadism.

One of Snyder's consistent themes is the eroticization of violence. That's the oiled-up musclemen thrusting spears in 300. That's the Comedian in Watchmen. That's Batman exhilarated at having Superman at his mercy in BvS. That's all of Sucker Punch. It's what the guy does.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Papercut posted:

That's a good question, there are a lot of d-level horror movies my partner watches but I don't even remember the names usually

“D-level” horror rules. Get outta here.

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

I'm just going to wait for the Snyder Cut, I've learned my lesson about watching chopped-up versions

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

oshuaj posted:

I'm just going to wait for the Snyder Cut, I've learned my lesson about watching chopped-up versions

I’m leaning that way as well, but I had no major issues with Watchmen theatrical, and BVS theatrical is at least interesting for having a full-on alternate plot.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm definitely gonna watch at some point, probably soon cause hell, I got free time, and I'm too impatient to hold out fully until next summer. I do wish they just did the PG and R cuts at once or barring that at least prioritized the extended cut sooner than pt 2, it will be slightly weird watching part 2 then waiting for extended cuts of both

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Panzeh posted:

I agree. All of them have put out movies that I have fun watching along with some unwatchable trash.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought the movie sucked

But I thought the universe was cool as gently caress.

It was a movie that was simultaneously begging me to hate it and begging me to love it at the same time.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
Watched this last night. Wanted to like it if only for some fun dumb action scenes. But alas.

Some of the fight choreography was laughably bad. Like when she jumps up on the guy, wraps her legs around him and pulls the trigger. Why? It didn't accomplish anything, not even 'looking cool.' That one really stood out. But I remember there being several other moments. Times where characters deliver these awkward and floaty strikes with seemingly no effort or power behind them.

It felt like watching the leg sweep gif from Napoleon Dynamite.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The soldier is a rapist, and she's "loving" him, get it?

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
oh. now i dislike it even more :(

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Good

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE posted:

Watched this last night. Wanted to like it if only for some fun dumb action scenes. But alas.

Some of the fight choreography was laughably bad. Like when she jumps up on the guy, wraps her legs around him and pulls the trigger. Why? It didn't accomplish anything, not even 'looking cool.' That one really stood out. But I remember there being several other moments. Times where characters deliver these awkward and floaty strikes with seemingly no effort or power behind them.

It felt like watching the leg sweep gif from Napoleon Dynamite.

Actually thanks for highlighting this for me.

This has been one of those very few times where I've watched a main character attack other characters...and just not bought into the damage being inflicted.

Generic Main Character girl...whatever her name was who spent half the movie thoughtfully squinting. I know she's had a bucketload of training in all sorts of rear end-kickery, but so had the people she was facing off against. All of which were significantly larger than her. It's been one of the few times I've watched a movie like this and gone: "Those guys could probably beat her into a fine paste if it wasn't for the plot armour"

The problem may have been what you've said here, whereby a lot of the choreography just didn't look impactful enough for it to be believable.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I liked it and I thought there was a lack of impact too but that's them cutting around the violence, goodness knows why. I'm sure when the R (R for real) cut comes out I'll go "oh, that's why".

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I just rewatched that first village fight. Impact or not, Kora is not physically overpowering these bigger guys. She stabbing, cutting, and shooting them. This is not a fight scene where she’s out punching and kicking a guy twice her size. She’s just being very lethal.

And the leg thing yeah is to counter the rape aspect, provide cover, and because why not who cares.

Also Sofia Boutella looks quite ripped. Those arms. She’s been part of the Synder gym crew it seems.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

checkplease posted:

I just rewatched that first village fight. Impact or not, Kora is not physically overpowering these bigger guys. She stabbing, cutting, and shooting them. This is not a fight scene where she’s out punching and kicking a guy twice her size. She’s just being very lethal.

And the leg thing yeah is to counter the rape aspect, provide cover, and because why not who cares.

Also Sofia Boutella looks quite ripped. Those arms. She’s been part of the Synder gym crew it seems.

Yeah, this time of year means I've been exposed to different family members and thus to different (gross and upsetting) corners of nerd fandom, a lot of which has been loudly scoffing about a woman beating up a bunch of guys. So I was primed to look out for it.

In that scene it was made abundantly clear that a nimble, lethal super elite fighter was up against a gang of lumbering grunts who were out of their depth. It was fine and made sense in the context of the film.

The only time that kind of thing was noticeable was at the bar, when the gross fat alien took a punch from farmer man (who is ripped) and smiled, but was knocked down with ease from a punch to the head from Kora.

In any case it's just a movie, so.... Y'know.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hmm, that's interesting. So it very well be a completely different movie besides just more R-rated stuff and extended character arcs, lore, ect.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Simiain posted:

Yeah, this time of year means I've been exposed to different family members and thus to different (gross and upsetting) corners of nerd fandom, a lot of which has been loudly scoffing about a woman beating up a bunch of guys. So I was primed to look out for it.

In that scene it was made abundantly clear that a nimble, lethal super elite fighter was up against a gang of lumbering grunts who were out of their depth. It was fine and made sense in the context of the film.

The only time that kind of thing was noticeable was at the bar, when the gross fat alien took a punch from farmer man (who is ripped) and smiled, but was knocked down with ease from a punch to the head from Kora.

In any case it's just a movie, so.... Y'know.

Reminds me I was watching Midnight Run last week and De Niro keeps knocking people out with one punch. Which maybe isn’t unrealistic compared to action movie beatings, but it just looked funny as he wasn’t throwing the most real looking punch and the other bounty hunter was like twice his size.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

H13 posted:

The problem may have been what you've said here, whereby a lot of the choreography just didn't look impactful enough for it to be believable.

I get this and I wonder how much is that comes from the film being bloodless. If the R cut comes with a couple buckets of blood I think that'd help sell some of the impact.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Jimbot posted:

Hmm, that's interesting. So it very well be a completely different movie besides just more R-rated stuff and extended character arcs, lore, ect.

Lol

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

good god man lol.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Seems cool? Different versions of a film is fun.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Studios keep trying to think of ways to gently caress him but he's too many steps ahead, love it

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the movie, its good

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

checkplease posted:

Look, I'd have to watch it again (which I'm unlikely to do so)

But I just remember watching it and almost feeling like I was watching WWE whereby the bad guys were letting the good guys do fancy cool poo poo and then fall down in pain. Not that I do any sort of combat sport, but it just felt like the entire time the bigger dudes (who have also had an rear end-load of combat training, were twice the size and twice as ripped) had openings where they could have stopped her doing whatever she was doing.

I also remember feeling in the bar shootout that wasn't Mos Eisley: "Wow, stormtroopers have better aim than this"

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

H13 posted:

Look, I'd have to watch it again (which I'm unlikely to do so)

But I just remember watching it and almost feeling like I was watching WWE whereby the bad guys were letting the good guys do fancy cool poo poo and then fall down in pain. Not that I do any sort of combat sport, but it just felt like the entire time the bigger dudes (who have also had an rear end-load of combat training, were twice the size and twice as ripped) had openings where they could have stopped her doing whatever she was doing.

I also remember feeling in the bar shootout that wasn't Mos Eisley: "Wow, stormtroopers have better aim than this"

Ed Skrein absolutely sold Kora in their fight at the end, it was great

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blood Boils posted:

Studios keep trying to think of ways to gently caress him but he's too many steps ahead, love it

It was part of the plan

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

H13 posted:

Kora whiffs a handful of shots at the bartender.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

Kora whiffs a handful of shots at the bartender.

So stormtroopers have better aim than our heroes as well.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If I were in a shootout I would have simply landed a quad kill with headshots.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Roth posted:

If I were in a shootout I would have simply landed a quad kill with headshots.

oh yeah totally I expect to see everybody with a gun doing 360 no scope headshots, multiple headshots with the same bullet in SUPER slow motion and lens flare like it's some sort of Snyd-oh wait...

The issue that I'm raising is that the plot armour was visible and the action wasn't believable.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Your issue is a cinema sin critique of "They missed shots"

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Roth posted:

Your issue is a cinema sin critique of "They missed shots"

Thank you for explaining my own argument to me. I thought I knew what I was talking about but here you are explaining what I actually meant instead!

I'd heard the reputation of Snyder fanboys, but christ is this really what they're like? Are you actually this bad?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

H13 posted:

I'd heard the reputation of Snyder fanboys, but christ is this really what they're like? Are you actually this bad?

We’re worse bitch

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

H13 posted:

Thank you for explaining my own argument to me. I thought I knew what I was talking about but here you are explaining what I actually meant instead!

You should try saying something interesting instead because complaining about the bad guys not being able to kill the main character because of a tv trope is the most banal poo poo, and should not be taken remotely seriously by anyone.

Also I'm a girl.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

H13 posted:

So stormtroopers have better aim than our heroes as well.

I think the more interesting point is that Snyder attempts to show that Kora isn't John Wick and/or that the firearms tech in the Rebel Moon universe is unwieldy and wildly inaccurate.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Bar was full of cover and walls anyways and baddies were low level criminals. Final fight though was full of soldiers so I guess could complain more there. But this is just normal for the genre be it Star Wars, Dune, and pretty much any action film. Just think of it like a video game with our heroes having high AC/dodge and enemies attack with disadvantage.

Also gotta remember that CineD is full of Sickos who love a good neck snapping.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's not that these complaints are necessarily invalid (*cough*) but, like, have you watched any other scifi adventure films at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Kora's gun is literally an antique. A lot of the armor and weapons everyone in the movie uses is covered in intricate carvings, like it's ceremonial wear that was never really intended to be used in war. The technicians in this setting double as priests. The Motherworld's military, at least so far as we've been exposed to it, is undisciplined at best -- as illustrated not only by the brutish would-be rapists, but also by the teenage boy who clearly hasn't been very effectively propagandized.

There are definitely some things I'm dissatisfied with the way the movie portrays violence -- as someone pointed out earlier it constantly cuts away from the impact of blows too early, probably due to some combination of wanting to maintain a PG-13 rating and the actors not actually being martial artists. (It's especially bad in scenes with lots of extras and better in ones where the stakes aren't lethal and/or where people are just getting glowing orange holes blown in them instead of e.g. getting carved up with an axe.)

But "the soldiers miss a lot" isn't a technical flaw in the story; it is the story. The entire movie is about how the Motherworld rules through fear because they don't actually have the military might to keep everyone in line through force at once. If you're going "wow, these idiots are getting dunked on by a farmer, a drunk, and a deserter who hasn't seen action in years," you're having exactly the same reaction that an observer in this universe who sees or hears about would have.