Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Who's the newest recurring character in the Simpsons? Apu's children? I haven't watched it in forever so maybe they're still adding new guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

dads_work_files posted:

Who's the newest recurring character in the Simpsons? Apu's children? I haven't watched it in forever so maybe they're still adding new guys?

Bart’s new teacher that’s played by Kerry Washington would be my guess.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

dads_work_files posted:

I think Comicbook Guy's wife, from 2014. Which I guess it was kinda bold to throw in a big status quo change new character after not adding anybody for a very long time, but then they didn't really do much with her.

Before that, I guess Shauna Chalmers, who the writers actually have fun with, and they slowly upgraded her from having a bunch of incidental bits to being the daughter of superintendent Chalmers so that they could do stories with them as more primary characters.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Someone gonna say the introduction of Apu's children is closer to the moon landing than to us

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

If Apu's children had aged at a normal rate from the episode they were introduced they would each be 50 years old today

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

dads_work_files posted:

If Apu's children had aged at a normal rate from the episode they were introduced they would each be 50 years old today

Weren't they already older than Maggie, somehow

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Kinda wild to think Simpsons was already dipping into that "add a baby to keep things fresh" well in the 90's.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Das Boo posted:

Kinda wild to think Simpsons was already dipping into that "add a baby to keep things fresh" well in the 90's.

You're thinking of a little box of baking soda

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Am uh... am I hallucinating or didn't the Simpsons do a gag of Robocop bringing his robo-baby to work at the police precinct?

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
who do I think for the new av? Been here almost dickety years and nobody ever spent money on me before. Almost brings a tear to this crusty shitposters eye.

anyway, was disco stu ever given a backstory? I could have swore I turned on the TV once like 5 years ago and disco stu was being fleshed out and I was like, wow. just come up with new characters at that point.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think every side character has had their own episode by now. The last new one I saw from this season or last focused on Carl and it sucked.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Data Graham posted:

Am uh... am I hallucinating or didn't the Simpsons do a gag of Robocop bringing his robo-baby to work at the police precinct?

cyborganiser

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Cosmik Debris posted:

who do I think for the new av? Been here almost dickety years and nobody ever spent money on me before. Almost brings a tear to this crusty shitposters eye.

lol I love this place and I dig the new avatar, honestly.

twern’t me, though.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
right? it's really good. I feel honored. nice work, whoever is repsonsible.

so something I've been thinking about re: simpsons, since that short that was posted and I mentioned that krusty and troy mcclure didn't even seem to know each other in the show:

Other than A Fish Named Selma, and when he auditioned for poochy's voice, did Troy McClure ever have a speaking role as a citizen of springfield? He was almost always protrayed on screen, or as host of an episode.

Just something I've been wondering.

Troy McClure is, unfortunately due to Phil Hartman's untimely death, almost a perfect time capsule of Classic Simpsons (and lionel hutz)

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 24, 2023

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cosmik Debris posted:

anyway, was disco stu ever given a backstory? I could have swore I turned on the TV once like 5 years ago and disco stu was being fleshed out and I was like, wow. just come up with new characters at that point.
I like to think he used to be the kabuki boss in the Simpsons arcade game. "Kabuki Stu is gonna fight you!"

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Cosmik Debris posted:

right? it's really good. I feel honored. nice work, whoever is repsonsible.

so something I've been thinking about re: simpsons, since that short that was posted and I mentioned that krusty and troy mcclure didn't even seem to know each other in the show:

Other than A Fish Named Selma, and when he auditioned for poochy's voice, did Troy McClure ever have a speaking role as a citizen of springfield? He was almost always protrayed on screen, or as host of an episode.

Just something I've been wondering.

Troy McClure is, unfortunately due to Phil Hartman's untimely death, almost a perfect time capsule of Classic Simpsons (and lionel hutz)

He emceed Krusty's funeral, does that count for both questions?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Cosmik Debris posted:

Yeah, this happened. But like all newspim episodes, I don't remember a single thing about it.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cosmik Debris posted:

What even is the point of dissing someone for explaining an alternate interpretation of a joke after multiple people asked for an explanation? that's more of a reddit thing.

fwiw, i totally agree with your analysis. i never made the "chuck's suck and gently caress" connection, and it seems like even if it was one of those multi-layered jokes, it would take too much needless effort to make such a connection. and tbh, i don't think anything related to that sign was funny really.

as far as the responses in this thread, it seems that despite all the growth this forum's made over the decades, there still appears to be some residual douchery and mean-spiritedness hanging about. friendly ribbing is one thing, but people being needlessly acting like assholes is another

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That particular joke is basically a math problem, and the mockers want to feel smarter than the people who don't immediately get the joke (a joke whose entire point was to be obfuscated enough to slip past censors that were going over the network with a fine-toothed comb)

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I always thought that joke was extremely new Simpsons because it was so overtly sexual and crude. Episode bad

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Ehh. They had a restaurant called Gulp n Blow as early as season 3. The Sneed episode (Tomacco) IS bad though and firmly in post-good Simpsons.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

drat :stonklol:

Was this the only time they were shown in that manner?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

So um, that screenshot reminds me of this moment with Bart and Lisa.

"We're going to the Highway 9 bird sanctuary. I understand they've installed a new bird feeder this year."

"It's shaped like a diner! And it's on this really tall pole!"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's also literally a 2 second background gag in a scene with like 8 other jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3ElIvNBYj0

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The tomacco episode is good.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 28, 2023

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Piksons

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I Have No Mouth and I Must (Annoyed Grunt)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

You Are A Werewolf posted:

So um, that screenshot reminds me of this moment with Bart and Lisa.

"We're going to the Highway 9 bird sanctuary. I understand they've installed a new bird feeder this year."

"It's shaped like a diner! And it's on this really tall pole!"

I think it's lazy framing because they just reused his open mouth frame to make him also have a mouth agape at Adam West but I love how absolutely terrified he looks here for a while before telling the kids to back away

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Das Boo posted:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

This has a eurojank look about it. Like it's the "looking up" animation for a platformer that was only released on the Amiga.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Party Boat posted:

This has a eurojank look about it. Like it's the "looking up" animation for a platformer that was only released on the Amiga.

The jank makes it work better as a joke IMO. They look doofy, and they're supposed to, they're cartoon characters.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Das Boo posted:

Lmao

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Oh yeah I'd take any amount of weird poses and giant season 3 pupils over the eternally on model and perfect eyelines of modern Simpsons.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Das Boo posted:

Camera pans through utterly destroyed, desolate Springfield. Burns loud, slightly bitcrushed voice can be heard over the picture doing the "Hate" speech, but when it comes to "circuits in wafer thin layers", Homer can be heard saying "mmm, wafers".

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Weirdly not quite off-model, there. Heck, they're even charming. Homer and Marge look like they're having a great time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5D6hxQ3L1Y