Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I get why the ice beam fires so slowly since it’s so overpowered but god the ice troopers are such a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I get why the ice beam fires so slowly since it’s so overpowered but god the ice troopers are such a pain in the rear end.

That, but also

"Hey Samus, take this Plasma Beam that is the penultimate weapon that can fry pirates in a single shot! It's a weapon you have been building up to for the course of the entire game!

Also, here are three enemies that are invulnerable to it for no good reason!"

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bleck posted:

You have to fight Chozo Ghosts the first time they appear, as a sort of mini-boss. By the time actually fighting them becomes necessary again - close to the end of the game - you have the X-Ray Visor and enough Super Missiles that beating them shouldn't take more than a few seconds.

Also they no longer lock the doors so you can skip them most of the time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My Figma Samus figure just got delivered but I won’t actually get her until I’m home from work, woop woop. :woop:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

My Figma Samus figure just got delivered but I won’t actually get her until I’m home from work, woop woop. :woop:
It's been really fun watching you become a fan. Or a bigger fan. Not sure which. But either way, super fun.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LividLiquid posted:

It's been really fun watching you become a fan. Or a bigger fan. Not sure which. But either way, super fun.

Bigger fan, I think. I liked the Metroid games I’d played in the past, and I like other metroidvanias, but this is the first time I’ve made a dedicated effort to play through all of them.

I already had the other two Figma Samus figures, but the new one I got is such a huge upgrade, I wish I’d gotten her sooner.

I’ve been sick for a few weeks and my ears are totally plugged and I haven’t been in the mood to continue playing Prime 2 just yet.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
What about the Ligma Samus figures?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

What about the Ligma Samus figures?
What's Samus?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Simply Simon posted:

What's Samus?

deez Maru Mari!!! :xd:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

What's Samus?

The armor guy from smash bros

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Simply Simon posted:

What's Samus?

https://www.youtube.com/clip/UgkxygSmGjarRn-4YPU2KNT6jotXVcfLvabS

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

CuddleCryptid posted:

The armor guy from smash bros
No that's Marth

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Wrapped up Prime after getting distracted after beating Ridley, the Metroid Prime boss went down a lot easier than I expected. I think the boss I had the most trouble with was the phazon pirate one and that's because I kept stepping in all the drat phazon puddles.

The whole thing at the end with having to switch visors to track Prime was weird because "suddenly I have no bones" isn't a thing, but it's barely staying in this dimension anyways so whatever. Still, the first form wasn't that hard once you figured out how to dodge the charge and then the second form was mostly a jumping puzzle. You don't even get that much use out of missiles.

Still, game good, where's my Prime 2 remaster

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm still playing through Other M. Basically I only have the patience to go from one nav room to the next and then I have to put it down for a few days. I suppose I'm still pretty early in the game, but I've noticed the map is utter nonsense. It's like the worst procgen map but someone had to actually make this. There's no real structure, symmetry, or anything. Stuff just sprawls off in whatever direction. The maps in the Prime games at least feel like coherent places even if the places themselves are a bit abstract.

This is easily the worst "first-party" Nintendo game I've ever played.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's ludicrously bad. If you programmed an AI to make the exact wrong decision at every step in the long, arduous process that is making a Metroid game, it really wouldn't be that far off.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm still playing through Other M.

You do not have to keep doing this to yourself

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Grace Baiting posted:

According to the best authority available (Calvin's dad) being miserable builds character.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Grace Baiting posted:

Yeah, maybe I'll give up. I don't know.

I foolishly assumed there must be something redeeming about Other M. I was fully aware going in that the story was absolute garbage and things like Adam authorizing Samus to use her Varia Suit is completely farcical. But like, the actual game should be fine right?

No, it's not fine.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah, maybe I'll give up. I don't know.

I foolishly assumed there must be something redeeming about Other M. I was fully aware going in that the story was absolute garbage and things like Adam authorizing Samus to use her Varia Suit is completely farcical. But like, the actual game should be fine right?

No, it's not fine.

Yeah it's real bad, op

Every individual good thing about Other M is done better in the the original game (Fusion), in the Prime series, or especially in Dread.

If you have some brain need to experience the game's completion / vanquishing, I would seriously recommend just watching the (iirc excellent) LP on the LP Archive rather than playing the rest of it. It's not worth it.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Grace Baiting posted:

Every individual good thing about Other M is done better in the the original game (Fusion), in the Prime series, or especially in Dread.

Gonna rant on this topic for a minute, actually. Because Other M does genuinely have some good bits (under the all-suffusing terrible choices and direction), they're just... worse than those same elements in any other Metroid game that also has them.

A nonexhaustive list follows.

The general plot and setting, with a multi-biome research zoo(?) of a space station and some Federation fuckery thrown in? Fusion did it way better before Sakamoto decided to remake it but 3D and worse as Other M.

Some of the Mother Brain plot beats? Prime 3's Aurora Units are far more compelling and much less whacked out story-wise.

3D beam shots and explosions? The Prime series did it better and earlier. (And I hear the Prime Remake is pretty choice!!) Dread too, on the higher rate-of-fire side of things.

Somewhat decent gamefeel on the running and jumping and gunning gameplay (a.k.a. the best of what remained from Team Ninja through the thick and viscous Sakamoto edicts)? Dread fuckin blows Other M out of the water here.

Some cool sync'd melee animations, like the Overblast and the Lethal Strike and sometimes Samus escaping from an enemy's grabs etc? (Especially as you tire of the repetitive nature of the same Overblasts and Lethal Strikes over and over again, since there's minimal variety and so much frustrating enemy respawns!!) Again, Dread in a huge way here, with the melee parries on regular enemies, plus the boss parries and excellent resulting cutscenes.

The first few times you use SenseMove and feel cool (before you realize you can just mash the D-pad to become nigh-invincible through almost every moment of danger)? Bah gawd it's Dread again with the Phase Shift this time, which is a key for several door locks as well as an incredible tool for general mobility — and it's useful as hell in battle while not trivializing all combat 99% of the time either!

Speed booster + shinespark? Literally every other iteration of Metroid that contains the Speed Booster + shinespark does it better than Other M; Dread especially has some fantastic shinespark puzzles as well as a lots of room sequences where you can Speed Boost through to feel like a badass while traversing extra quickly. (Minor point: Speed Booster + shinespark sounds like it should be really cool in 3D, but Other M simply does not let you use it like almost anywhere outside some narrowly prescribed circumstances, with waist-high rubble in every corridor that would otherwise be good for building up a charge!)

The Nightmare fight and the related gravity effects? Lifted directly from Fusion, where it was also way better!

The final boss battle, before the cutscene fakeout FINAL final boss non-battle (gently caress YOU PIXEL HUNTS, WHY IS THERE ANOTHER ONE HERE)? Yeah there were some cool moments in there, but the numerous irritations vastly outweigh those cool moments in my mind; and every other Metroid game I've ever played has a significantly better final boss battle(s) too.

Ridley in 3D? Prime 1 and 3, by far.

In conclusion, you truly deeply do not have to play Other M.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Y'know I disagree

I think it is important to get all the way through Other M

So you can get to the final boss, and beat it, and say "WAIT FUCKIN THAT'S IT? I PLAYED ALL THAT FOR THAT?"
"oh okay there's a post-credits boss I'll go check that out" "THAT WAS loving IT"

It's not enough to play Other M and say "hey this isn't any fun"
You need to know that there isn't even anything good waiting at the end. You need to feel that your time was completely undisputably wasted.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
There’s a reason I skipped it in the OP.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

There’s a reason I skipped it in the OP.

Skipped what

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just doing a little thread necromancy to say that something cool came in the mail today.

Figma Metroid Dread Samus figure. She comes with a special magnetic piece specifically so you can have her cling to (metal) walls, which is rad as hell. But she’s fully articulated so you can have her in all kinds of kickass poses. Been waiting for her since, like, July.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

FIGMA BALLS

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that's rad

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shine posted:

FIGMA BALLS

No, unfortunately it does not have morph ball capability.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Augus posted:

that's rad

co sign

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Just doing a little thread necromancy to say that something cool came in the mail today.

Figma Metroid Dread Samus figure. She comes with a special magnetic piece specifically so you can have her cling to (metal) walls, which is rad as hell. But she’s fully articulated so you can have her in all kinds of kickass poses. Been waiting for her since, like, July.

That is extremely cool

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I got myself the Prime remaster for Christmas and I'm super looking forward to breaking that open on Christmas morning.

Something about a new game on Christmas. Always makes me feel like a kid again.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

No, unfortunately it does not have morph ball capability.

lmao

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Grace Baiting posted:

deez Maru Mari!!! :xd:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

When I play in Gamecube mode, my hands want it to be dual analog. When I play dual analog, my hands keep trying to use Gamecube controls.

Be better, brain and hands.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Every time I replay Prime, I keep forgetting to resist the urge to go to the Crashed Frigate after the Ice Beam because the elevator is *right there!* and I get to the point where the game completely stonewalls you and tells you to get the gravity suit and yeah, mistakes were made but getting out of that place without the gravity suit isn’t great

Also gently caress Chozo Ghosts

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The Sunken Frigate is so rude I can only assume it was intentional just because it will likely immediately come up to the players mind when they get the ice beam. Makes getting the gravity suit all the more satisfying though.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The underwater music from the downed frigate in Prime would be stuck in my head every time I went scuba diving :unsmith:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Icon Of Sin posted:

The underwater music from the downed frigate in Prime would be stuck in my head every time I went scuba diving :unsmith:

Strange, every time I go swimming all I hear is the Sonic the Hedgehog drowning music. :shrug:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Strange, every time I go swimming all I hear is the Sonic the Hedgehog drowning music. :shrug:

Floating through a shipwreck must’ve reminded me of the downed frigate at one point, it was an absolute moment of zen for me. The soft piano in the background was just perfect there.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Icon Of Sin posted:

I put a remix of it on my Autumn VG Walking Mix for 2023 on those rainy Pacific Northwest days.

It ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

LividLiquid posted:

I put a remix of it on my Autumn VG Walking Mix for 2023 on those rainy Pacific Northwest days.

It ruled.

That and Phendrana Drifts are perfect walk-and-chill music.