Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

litany of gulps posted:

Do you have an unclaimed reward for finding the ship? Check the expeditions menu.

THANK YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I've been trying to play this game with friends, and the parts that I actually get to play are fun enough, but I rarely get to do so. I'm constantly getting extreme storms, so I can't be outside for more that a few seconds at a time, and tornados will literally hunt me down and then juggle me in the air until I die. And when I say constantly, I mean we played today for 2.5 hours, and I spent more time waiting for storms to clear than actually having clear weather. It's like this on every planet. My friends aren't having these problems; it's just me. Between the two of them, they only had to deal with a single extreme storm today.

And if it's not the weather, the sentinels continuously hunt me down. I don't have anything illegal on me, but they still start attacking me every time they see me, so I can never get anything done.

I tried to google it, and I found a bunch of other people complaining about the same issue but I couldn't find a solution. Has anyone else dealt with this? When we first tried to group up to play, we had to do some nonsense with deleting settings files just to force the game to actually let us join each others' sessions, so I'm hoping there's something similar I can do.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Noper Q posted:

I've been trying to play this game with friends, and the parts that I actually get to play are fun enough, but I rarely get to do so. I'm constantly getting extreme storms, so I can't be outside for more that a few seconds at a time, and tornados will literally hunt me down and then juggle me in the air until I die. And when I say constantly, I mean we played today for 2.5 hours, and I spent more time waiting for storms to clear than actually having clear weather. It's like this on every planet. My friends aren't having these problems; it's just me. Between the two of them, they only had to deal with a single extreme storm today.

And if it's not the weather, the sentinels continuously hunt me down. I don't have anything illegal on me, but they still start attacking me every time they see me, so I can never get anything done.

I tried to google it, and I found a bunch of other people complaining about the same issue but I couldn't find a solution. Has anyone else dealt with this? When we first tried to group up to play, we had to do some nonsense with deleting settings files just to force the game to actually let us join each others' sessions, so I'm hoping there's something similar I can do.

How obnoxious those factors are (or if they're even an issue at all) is specific to the planet rather than to the particular place on the planet, but it varies wildly from one planet to another. Every now and then you get an exceptionally rear end in a top hat star system where every planet hates you like that, but most of them are more varied.

NMS is a game about - among other things - exploring, and it's wiser to go somewhere else in the game than it is to force yourself through an experience you're not enjoying until you're so fed up that you quit the game entirely.

If a given planet is giving you obnoxious windstorms that sling you into the air, and you don't want to deal with that, go to a different planet.
If a given planet has sentinels that are in kill-player-on-sight mode, and you don't want to deal with that, go to a different planet.

... and so on.
  • You can have multiple bases, so you can build another (and either deconstruct or just leave your old base), only restriction there is "max one per planet".
  • If you have a settlement on a planet you hate, use settlement maps in other systems to find another one in a place you like better, go there, and take over to switch to controlling that settlement instead.
  • For quest destinations, have Polo give you directions to the nearest black hole, and once that's yeeted you to the far side of the galaxy, any quests in your log asking you to go to Very Specific Place XYZ should have an option to restart the quest using nearby destinations.

Also it wouldn't hurt to check your current difficulty settings (these can be tweaked mid-game for everything except a handful for "what do you start with") and adjust them to personal taste. Avoid permadeath (that's 90% bragging rights and 10% one achievement, which can be done on a secondary save file), and avoid the option of locking the difficulty settings from making any further changes (that's 100% bragging rights), but otherwise tweak to your heart's content.

Vil fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 20, 2023

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

permadeath owns, actually

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

permadeath owns, actually

Not as a recommendation for a new player who's already frustrated with the game, it does not.

I've edited my previous post in case it was unclear that it was a reply to the one immediately before that, and not just me vomiting random opinions apropos of nothing.

Vil fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 20, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Vil posted:

[*]You can have multiple bases, so you can build another (and either deconstruct or just leave your old base), only restriction there is "max one per planet".

Has this changed lately, because I have built multiple bases on single planets. It bugs out a lot when trying to teleport to them though.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Has this changed lately, because I have built multiple bases on single planets. It bugs out a lot when trying to teleport to them though.

You can have multiple bases on one planet, but only the newest one will show up for other players.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

no you can have more than one per planet

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Vil posted:

Not as a recommendation for a new player who's already frustrated with the game, it does not.

I've edited my previous post in case it was unclear that it was a reply to the one immediately before that, and not just me vomiting random opinions apropos of nothing.

i didn't intend for that to be anything more than a shitpost lol

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Noper Q posted:

if you play in creative mode, you don't have to deal with any of that stuff. the storms will still be there but they won't hurt you, and the sentinals won't gently caress with you either

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Vil posted:

go to a different planet.

Noper Q posted:

It's like this on every planet.

I've been to a dozen planets in four systems. The storms follow me everywhere.

I'm usually on the same planet as my friends, often within eyesight. My settings are default, just like theirs. I have ten storms to their one. This has been consistent across around seven hours of playtime.

It is a bug, and a frustrating one. I was hoping someone else had run into it and had a solution, but that's clearly not the case so far.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I think that during the tutorial of the game, at least the first planet you spawn on, will become hostile regardless of what it actually is in the game so that even if you spawn on a paradise planet, for you it's not paradise to help teach the survival mechanics. It sounds like a bug might be related to this, bugs in No Man's Sky are pretty common. It's hard to say exactly what would fix this, but my first attempt would be to play the storyline a little further to see if that solves anything. Other than that, there's not really that much harm in starting with a new save.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Noper Q posted:

I've been to a dozen planets in four systems. The storms follow me everywhere.

I'm usually on the same planet as my friends, often within eyesight. My settings are default, just like theirs. I have ten storms to their one. This has been consistent across around seven hours of playtime.

It is a bug, and a frustrating one. I was hoping someone else had run into it and had a solution, but that's clearly not the case so far.

If you can run down the specifics of it happening (does it happen when you're hosting, or when you're joining, or both? does it happen on multiple save files?), Hello Games is good about fixing bugs that are reported. You won't necessarily get a response back of "hey we fixed this" but I don't think I've ever had a bug submitted that didn't end up being actioned on later.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I've done QA as a job; I'm sure as hell not doing it for free.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Noper Q posted:

Just report a bug if you find it, they look at their reports and fix stuff constantly. Like sure, it's not your job but if you find a bug you want fixed then help the devs out, there's only like a dozen of them and they can't catch everything that's wrong without people reporting them.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Noper Q posted:

so what are you hoping for here?

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
A solution.

Like I said earlier, when my friends and I first tried to play together, we ran into an annoying bug that other people had figured out how to fix. Both that multiplayer issue and this constant-bad-weather one have existed for years, so I was hoping for something similar here, that someone else had dealt with this and there would be an easy fix.

The fact that not many people have dealt with it means that it's a rare-enough issue that figuring out what's causing it will be a lot of work. I am not willing to do that work. I want to play a game, preferably one that doesn't put me and me alone in a weird hard mode.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This might be a bit weird but maybe try turning PVP off.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

fart simpson posted:

no you can have more than one per planet

Huh, I stand corrected.

On the topic of frequent storms, it's notable that they function on a system timer rather than an in-game timer: for example, you can ride out a storm in single-player by hanging out in the pause menu (by hitting escape; not to be confused with inventory menu by hitting tab), even though most other things in game completely pause. This is also true for any quests or other things that have a timer counting down until they're done - they check the system clock for that, and keep counting down their timer while paused.

As your friends are experiencing, storms normally hit all players concurrently ... because players normally have system clocks set to (and automatically synced to) current datetime. Therefore the players' systems all give NMS the same input of what time it is, and NMS in turn gives them the same result of "is there a storm right now Y/N".

If I were in your shoes, first thing I'd do is verify that my computer's system clock isn't doing any weird fuckery.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Vil posted:

Huh, I stand corrected.

On the topic of frequent storms, it's notable that they function on a system timer rather than an in-game timer: for example, you can ride out a storm in single-player by hanging out in the pause menu (by hitting escape; not to be confused with inventory menu by hitting tab), even though most other things in game completely pause. This is also true for any quests or other things that have a timer counting down until they're done - they check the system clock for that, and keep counting down their timer while paused.

As your friends are experiencing, storms normally hit all players concurrently ... because players normally have system clocks set to (and automatically synced to) current datetime. Therefore the players' systems all give NMS the same input of what time it is, and NMS in turn gives them the same result of "is there a storm right now Y/N".

If I were in your shoes, first thing I'd do is verify that my computer's system clock isn't doing any weird fuckery.

Holy crap, you might have cracked the case. My system clock gets stuck every time I reboot, which I assumed was just a result of a computer well past its prime, a minor annoyance but with an easy solution (flicker the Set time automatically option). From there it appears to work normally, but maybe there's more screwing up under the hood.

That least gives me something to go on. Thank you!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is the expedition really buggy? My game must have crashed 6-7 times now in a couple of days.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Is the expedition really buggy? My game must have crashed 6-7 times now in a couple of days.

It’s been fine for me, but when I had crash problems on previous expeditions turning multiplayer off sorted it out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wow, after doing some googling, I found I’ve absolutely hosed myself on this expedition. I forgot expeditions don’t pause when you PlayStation button to the desktop menu. So I was outside when a firestorm turned and I died a number of times, losing my whole inventory. In it there was a quad servo you need for a later mission, and is now pretty impossible to get one on your own.

Your weapon is next to useless against sentinels and there’s no anomaly to summon to learn new recipes/blueprints. Trying to kill enough to get a dog sentinel to turn up is an exercise in boring attrition.

gently caress this expedition.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can summon the anomaly in that expedition.

Edit: You HAVE TO summon the anomaly several times in that expedition, because you have to speak to Nada repeatedly. But I remember doing it before it was actually an explicit mission goal.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 22, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I swear it wasn’t showing up in the menu when I was in space. :psyduck:

Thank you, though!

My main problem now is the game crashing about once every 10-20 mins. I’m probably not going to finish, but I’m much further along than I was!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I had the exact same thing happening and since then always turn off Multiplayer for expeditions. That solved it for me.

Turning of MP makes NMS more stable no matter what game mode.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Piiiiimp

The whole expedition took like 3 hours, too.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Trying to boot up NMS on my newly built PC to do the current expedition because it's one I missed, but NMS is defaulting to the AMD iGPU and not the NVIDA Discreet GPU. Haven;t been able to figure out a fix with all my googling yet. Any suggestions to try?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Trying to boot up NMS on my newly built PC to do the current expedition because it's one I missed, but NMS is defaulting to the AMD iGPU and not the NVIDA Discreet GPU. Haven;t been able to figure out a fix with all my googling yet. Any suggestions to try?

idk

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
man am I suddenly glad I upgraded NMS to PS5 instead of my PC, that's enough weird bugs and glitches for me already, thanks

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

If you're on a newer version of Windows, go to Settings: System -> Display -> Graphics and see if NMS shows up in the list of apps there. If it doesn't, pick "Desktop App" from the menu on top and click Browse, then find the executable (you can use Steam to find local files to get the path for it). Then pick nms.exe, which should add it to the list. Now that it's on the list, click on it, press the "options" button, and pick "high performance".

If you're using an older version of Windows for some reason, you can do the same thing with the NVIDIA control panel.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

This is probably obvious but make sure your HDMI or Display Port cable is not plugged into the integrated GPU, but your discreet GPU instead.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

This is probably obvious but make sure your HDMI or Display Port cable is not plugged into the integrated GPU, but your discreet GPU instead.

Yeah that’s my first thought too. Something is definitely not right with the configuration.

Short of that disable the iGPU in the bios unless you are really using it for something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Completed the expedition! :toot:

I was very far from everything, but spending 15 minutes booster jumping in the Minotaur was a lot of fun to get to my nearest building.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah that’s my first thought too. Something is definitely not right with the configuration.

Short of that disable the iGPU in the bios unless you are really using it for something.

I didn't even realize PCs could still have this issue. I remember when I got a 3DFX Voodoo Banshee for my PC way back in the 90s, and one of the issues I constantly ran into was that Windows 98 did not have an easy way to switch between the discreet graphics chip and the video card you put in your PC. If there was a bios option I didn't know about it or didn't understand that at the time. It wasn't as straight forward as just plugging your VGA cable into the right graphics card port.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

If you're on a newer version of Windows, go to Settings: System -> Display -> Graphics and see if NMS shows up in the list of apps there. If it doesn't, pick "Desktop App" from the menu on top and click Browse, then find the executable (you can use Steam to find local files to get the path for it). Then pick nms.exe, which should add it to the list. Now that it's on the list, click on it, press the "options" button, and pick "high performance".

If you're using an older version of Windows for some reason, you can do the same thing with the NVIDIA control panel.

Yeah looks like it was windows 11 trying to run NMS as "power saver" and not high performance. Got it working and managed to finish the expedition :)

e: and I should have said new build from end of October, but the first time I was trying to play NMS on it. Other games have been working fine on the correct GPU

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 25, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So steam says I haven't played this in over 4 years. I downloaded the game, entered my save file, have no idea what im doing. Should I start clean or will I kick myself for doing that later on down the line?

Also...are there any specific guides to follow? I feel like the resources I used 4 years ago are probably very outdated.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Stare-Out posted:

The whole expedition took like 3 hours, too.
Bah, I spent much more than that just trying to find crystal sulphide. :mad: Never did find a big enough body of water, finally found a couple groups of floating crystals to gather enough (and the magnogold too).

And then I spent hours more trying to find larval cores. Finally, as I was just spinning around looking at the map markers I saw a base icon labeled "Laval Cores (off world)". So I flew there and some kind soul had found an abandoned building with whispering eggs and walled it in.

What I'm saying here is that it was a PITA and I hate that shithole planet. :colbert:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Presto posted:

Bah, I spent much more than that just trying to find crystal sulphide. :mad: Never did find a big enough body of water, finally found a couple groups of floating crystals to gather enough (and the magnogold too).

And then I spent hours more trying to find larval cores. Finally, as I was just spinning around looking at the map markers I saw a base icon labeled "Laval Cores (off world)". So I flew there and some kind soul had found an abandoned building with whispering eggs and walled it in.

What I'm saying here is that it was a PITA and I hate that shithole planet. :colbert:

The worst thing about it by far were the hostile fauna, like constantly getting hassled by them. But I spawned right next to a huge crater lake that had the crystal sulphide and I thought the larval cores would take forever but I just flew around the planet scanning for buildings and it only took like 10 minutes to find one with biological horrors.

Also it turns out they fixed the Golden Vector in that it now costs the same 1,200 nanites as the Utopia Speeder does so you can't cheese stuff by grabbing it super early on a new save or an expedition. According to some people you used to be able to claim it for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Stare-Out posted:

Also it turns out they fixed the Golden Vector in that it now costs the same 1,200 nanites as the Utopia Speeder does so you can't cheese stuff by grabbing it super early on a new save or an expedition. According to some people you used to be able to claim it for free.

Booooooo