Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkPRnHQJrws

Noice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
saw they animated the apothecary diaries and palace intrigue ftw.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Islamic Shock posted:

I'd like to see a 9000 year-old vampire depicted as they actually would be: exceptionally well-versed in the entire field of academia and books in general, not because they're particularly interested but because they're perpetually desperate to do anything to stop being so loving bored after seeing basically everything interesting there is to see

I like how some stories do it where they just don't have the memory capacity to handle nine millennia, so they gradually turn into different people as they forget and learn new things. Nobody ever said immortality would also upgrade your brain to be capable of storing all that information.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

The Islamic Shock posted:

I'd like to see a 9000 year-old vampire depicted as they actually would be: exceptionally well-versed in the entire field of academia and books in general, not because they're particularly interested but because they're perpetually desperate to do anything to stop being so loving bored after seeing basically everything interesting there is to see

There was a book about immortal werewolves the title of which I forget where the protagonist is the last one, he's lived for 500 ish years, and he at one point was a master of unarmed combat but then didn't practice for 50 years because of ennui and reflects on this as he gets his rear end kicked in a brawl.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Darth Walrus posted:

I like how some stories do it where they just don't have the memory capacity to handle nine millennia, so they gradually turn into different people as they forget and learn new things. Nobody ever said immortality would also upgrade your brain to be capable of storing all that information.

Chainsaw Man author did a one shot about a vampire with this exact problem. Only instead of a ship of Theseus situation it was that vampire brains just factory reset every couple hundred years when they pop from being too full.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I do like seeing me some anime that's the origin of a trope run into the ground

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Being embraced as a vampire is a power fantasy where you become a monster yourself. That's bourgeois aspiration.

Which is why Hunter the Reckoning is about the working class eliminating its oppressors

To make this about Anime wasnt there an anime a season or two back about the Soviets oppressing an ethnic vampire group to win the Space Race?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

KomradeX posted:

Which is why Hunter the Reckoning is about the working class eliminating its oppressors

To make this about Anime wasnt there an anime a season or two back about the Soviets oppressing an ethnic vampire group to win the Space Race?

Yeah

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So yeah wanting to be a vampire is anticommunist propaganda

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

The Apothecary Diaries is the standout of the winter season I think

nothing else I started was as consistently good

Frieren is interesting but doesn't seem to be as ruthless a story of time passing as I thought it would be

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm a sucker for a mystery of the week so side from Apothecary Diaries I've also really enjoyed Kamonohashi's Forbidden Deductions. Good mix of mystery and drama with comedy.

I'll also give Under Ninja for keeping me interested and being a sleeper hit for me. The soundtrack is really cool although (actually spoilers here) ending the season with a ninja killing people at a school just because was not what I was expecting.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Still watching Under Ninja, but only half way through. Pretty fun and dumb. Frieren is solid. Kusuriya is in a lot of ways very standard, but really good despite that. Didn't really keep up with anything else.
There was a creepy twins show? Was that one good? And someone brought up Yoko Taro with regards to the whatever app show? Maybe I'll try those.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheOtaking/status/1342183261271801856?t=eLrNTOoYkveiqxODUndpJQ&s=19

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

genericnick posted:

There was a creepy twins show? Was that one good?

Migi & Dali is pretty funny, my surprise favorite this season I think. I think it's a complete adaptation (could be wrong) which is always nice.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

I'm about to stream Patlabor 2 tonight, and it's crazy that there's more than one movie like Starship Troopers that prefigured the War on Terror years ahead of time.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm about to stream Patlabor 2 tonight, and it's crazy that there's more than one movie like Starship Troopers that prefigured the War on Terror years ahead of time.

That movie rocks so hard. Probably one of the greatest anime movies ever imo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Finally got around to watching the Attack on Titan ending, it was good.
I think an important thing people might've missed to lead them to the "fascism and genocide are inevitable" interpretation of the story is that Eren's near-omniscient view of history is still filtered through his own worldview and he's fundamentally incapable of understanding things that conflict with that worldview. Eren simply can't imagine a future without enemies unless it's a future without any people in it, he's a slave to conflict and the pursuit of an empty, nihilistic dream.

Mikasa's role in the story ends up being that she saves 20% of humanity by proving Eren wrong and convincing Ymir to stop the Rumbling. Eren knows this will happen but by his own admission he doesn't actually understand it. Because Mikasa taking Eren's life is an act of pure selflessness. She can't bring herself to see him as an enemy, but she still sacrifices the man she loves so that people she doesn't even know can live on. Mikasa lets go of her dream of living happily with Eren because she realizes it's impossible without countless innocent people suffering, and that kind of thinking is completely alien to Eren.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Augus posted:

Finally got around to watching the Attack on Titan ending, it was good.
I think an important thing people might've missed to lead them to the "fascism and genocide are inevitable" interpretation of the story is that Eren's near-omniscient view of history is still filtered through his own worldview and he's fundamentally incapable of understanding things that conflict with that worldview. Eren simply can't imagine a future without enemies unless it's a future without any people in it, he's a slave to conflict and the pursuit of an empty, nihilistic dream.

Eren is kind of doomed to be a nihilistic fatalist because the nature of the Founder's powers have pre-determined historical events from the future. When Eren kisses Victoria's hand he "recalls" all of these events playing out, but he doesn't understand them because his future self is inscrutable. Eren's adult self is almost a completely different person who arrives at his ideological conclusions during the timeskip. It's a perfect set up for some of the most horrifying time travel scenes ever broadcast on tv.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Eren is kind of doomed to be a nihilistic fatalist because the nature of the Founder's powers have pre-determined historical events from the future. When Eren kisses Victoria's hand he "recalls" all of these events playing out, but he doesn't understand them because his future self is inscrutable. Eren's adult self is almost a completely different person who arrives at his ideological conclusions during the timeskip. It's a perfect set up for some of the most horrifying time travel scenes ever broadcast on tv.

Eh. Not exactly wrong, but in the last scene before the time skip he literally points at the sea and says so we have to kill all of them too. Eren was always going to try to murder his way out of trouble.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

oh yeah i just remembered, who the hell is the person in the mask that shows up in mikasa's side story? my theory was it's an unnamed Ackerman ancestor, just showing up in her dreams like you do, but did i miss something?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Based on what I read on Wikipedia I thought Eren's whole plan was to pull a Lelouche. Basically make HIMSELF, and himself alone, the world's enemy instead of Eldians as a whole by killing off everyone he considered a potential enemy of the Eldian people himself, and then letting Mikasa kill him on purpose to show the rest of the world (or the parts of it that survived) that Not All Eldians are genocidal murder monsters, thereby sparing Paradis and the Eldian people from the collective post-Rumbling wrath of every surviving non-Eldian on earth.

I. M. Gei has issued a correction as of 06:19 on Dec 25, 2023

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

Based on what I read on Wikipedia I thought Eren's whole plan was to pull a Lelouche. Basically make HIMSELF, and himself alone, the world's enemy instead of Eldians as a whole by killing off everyone he considered a potential enemy of the Eldian people himself, and then letting Mikasa kill him on purpose to show the rest of the world (or the parts of it that survived) that Not All Eldians are genocidal murder monsters, thereby sparing Paradis and the Eldian people from the collective post-Rumbling wrath of every surviving non-Eldian on earth.

Yes but also he knew he needed to destroy most of the world because even then the eldians would be wiped out if there wasn't a similar parity between them and the rest of the world when all was said and done. The anime did a better job with the post ending scenes with how the world kept going for hundreds of years after everyone in the cast was dead from old age, the people in the planet wiping themselves out to near extinction not once but twice at least and life just continuing. Its both nihilistic in its depiction of humanity just finding a way to kill itself even without giant flesh mechas and still being hopeful that humanity will survive and rebuild.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Also :lol: that Toonami is running the last AoT movie on January 6th.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I. M. Gei posted:

Ostensibly yes but there’s more to it than that. Eren ends up confessing to Armin that he was really just heartbroken by the fact that the world outside the walls wasn’t the unclaimed frontier he had dreamed about since he was a child and in the end he was just looking for an excuse to wipe it all out.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

kill wyvern

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Augus posted:

Ostensibly yes but there’s more to it than that. Eren ends up confessing to Armin that he was really just heartbroken by the fact that the world outside the walls wasn’t the unclaimed frontier he had dreamed about since he was a child and in the end he was just looking for an excuse to wipe it all out.

dudes rock

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

https://twitter.com/Borisheavyrocks/status/1737852253984456728?t=mGLgvqO3MWI5QQ0e_Z7gfw&s=19

https://twitter.com/Borisheavyrocks/status/1734507587780124925?t=HtHdyUb2ZkV-Qo8x0eGoNw&s=19

Merry Christmas thread

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I. M. Gei posted:

This is all post-hoc reasoning. It's an excuse that Eren uses to rationalize his actions in retrospect, but the fact is that he didn't know for sure that he would be defeated UNTIL Zeke touched his head and he took full control of the Founder powers and its ability to tamper with past and future events. At that point, the causal chains of history are certain. Eren sees himself being defeated no matter what because the conditions aren't there to guarantee his success. Before Eren even had this ability, he was already committed to the genocidal project. He wasn't trying to make himself the world's enemy to save Eldia, he was earnestly trying to kill everything. He only concedes to defeat in the end because it's his own friends who beat him, and he views his friends as narcissistic extensions of himself. Manipulating their memories with the Founder powers to try and make them understand him was his attempt at securing his legacy.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Augus posted:

So in other words Eren is the Titan Unabomber.

That's dumb.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Feeling more and more vindicated in not watching aot

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cuttlefush posted:

kill wyvern

i can hear the music

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

tokin opposition posted:

It kinda went in a big stupid direction as soon as the Azumibito lady first showed up, but everything before that is great. Even the last season has some shining moments, like Yelena's angry face.

Honestly the plot direction at the end gets so pants-on-head stupid that part of me can't help but laugh.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The best plot development post basement reveal was isaiyama introducing erens mini me with gabbi, and people getting mad at her

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gabi has multiple Play of The Game moments and it rocks.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
the musou game was really fun, it got the feeling of the maneuver gear so down so it was like being spider man with boxcutters. shame about the everything else regarding the franchise tho

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Honestly think AoT was great until the last few chapters, where it becomes obvious the author had written himself into a corner where he didn’t like the two possible logical outcomes of the story, and tried to find a halfway point in between them, that because it couldn’t commit, was incoherent and really lovely. I guess when you think about it it’s an example of the failure of centrist ideology.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

tokin opposition posted:

NoModsNoMasters69
May 17, 2023

galagazombie posted:

Honestly think AoT was great until the last few chapters, where it becomes obvious the author had written himself into a corner where he didn’t like the two possible logical outcomes of the story, and tried to find a halfway point in between them, that because it couldn’t commit, was incoherent and really lovely. I guess when you think about it it’s an example of the failure of centrist ideology.

this is the right opinion. AoT is an all time classic, until the hilariously bad ending. 90% is still great though, well worth experiencing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

galagazombie posted:

Interestingly, he didnt quite write himself into a corner. He wrote the whole thing with this ending in mind from the beginning. He refused to change it lmao