Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Becky in Cold Steel and Pablo in Cold Steel 3 both speak in an inexplicable Scottish accent. I'm pretty sure it was a Kansai accent in the original but it's hilarious, maybe my favorite thing about those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

And it's not even like that's just how people speak where she's from. You go to her hometown in the first game and no one else talks like that!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm being absolutely sincere when I ask, what does that imply for the character? Like, in English, it'd give the character a different feel to have, say, cockney accent vs a new York accent, and I'm just curious.

Yes, exactly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Is this meant to imply anything about their character or is it just "from somewhere else"
it seems like a pretty surface level 'chinese people are known for cooking/food' thing i feel like

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm being absolutely sincere when I ask, what does that imply for the character? Like, in English, it'd give the character a different feel to have, say, cockney accent vs a new York accent, and I'm just curious.

I mean in case for the Tantalus it gives them a thrown together group feel. And yeah,some of the German accents have different words and colloquialisms.

They definitely sound lower class compared to the standard German for sure

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 23, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Arist posted:

Becky in Cold Steel and Pablo in Cold Steel 3 both speak in an inexplicable Scottish accent. I'm pretty sure it was a Kansai accent in the original but it's hilarious, maybe my favorite thing about those games.

Lol well, looks like they got the assignment but misunderstood it completely. I don't even remember becky from cold steel 1 :confused:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

A 'European' accent can sometimes be used either to express/accentuate that a character is 'foreign' or 'different' to the party (Cait Sith, for instance). In some cases, if it's a British (or more specifically RP) accent, that can indicate the character is more posh or refined (see Ignis).

Brooklyn or Southern accents are usually the go-to when translating what would be a Kansai-ben accent in Japanese, which is essentially their equivalent of an old-fashioned or 'hick' accent.

I was specifically asking about Cinna having a Bavarian accent.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I mean in case for the Tantalus it gives them a thrown together group feel. And yeah,some of the German accents have different words and colloquialisms.

They definitely sound lower class compared to the standard German for sure

That's neat, thanks!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I think Cinna was from Bavaria, Ruby from Saxony, Marcus is basically unchanged.
..I'm blanking on Blank and the Boss. One might have been Cologne and the other from Berlin.

I think the Italian localisation gives Marcus a German accent and some other characters Roman/Tuscany ones,too.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 23, 2023

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Probably the same reason Ignis is like the only person that sounds British in FFXV.

It seems that when it comes to Ignis:

Director Hajime Tabata once mentioned in 2015 that this was because Ignis is from a different region of the world, but this has never been mentioned in the game or supplementary material. In 2017, Tabata gave the reason for Ignis's accent as him being "steeped in the traditions of the Royal Court."

So, yeah, they don't have an answer.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Arist posted:

And it's not even like that's just how people speak where she's from. You go to her hometown in the first game and no one else talks like that!

yeah no one else except also her father lmfao you dumbass

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tbf it's been like five years since I played CS1 so I don't remember her dad at all

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8txDyH9ug0

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What's there to get angry about

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Scoss posted:

I wonder if the people who make a big deal about the pronunciation of Cait Sith's name are also adamant about arguing that the gray haired anime swordsman must be pronounced "Sfirot" with a hard T at the end, just like the original Kabbalah. Or any other of the many, many cultural and mythological names that FF has yoinked from around the world over the past 35 years. I don't understand why his name specifically is such a hill to die on.

someboedy correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm pretty sure "Cait Sith" is a letter-for-letter anglicization of the original Gaelic word whereas Sephiroth is just a dude's name that just happens to be similar to Sefirot

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Pyrus Malus posted:

someboedy correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm pretty sure "Cait Sith" is a letter-for-letter anglicization of the original Gaelic word whereas Sephiroth is just a dude's name that just happens to be similar to Sefirot

You can certainly transliterate Sefirot as Sephiroth as well. I think his name probably comes from that? The boss in FFXIV with the same name certainly does!

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

lines posted:

You can certainly transliterate Sefirot as Sephiroth as well. I think his name probably comes from that? The boss in FFXIV with the same name certainly does!

this locks it in then. I am a hard "t" pronouncer from here on out.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Pyrus Malus posted:

this locks it in then. I am a hard "t" pronouncer from here on out.

Well, I am not sure about this. The word is ספירות, and that last letter, ת, can either have a hard t or a soft sound that is a soft s or a th- as in think dependent on accent. Whether or not it is hard or soft depends on whether it has a dagesh, and the last syllable of a word it might well not (there's something similar going on with פ - this letter can either be a hard p or a soft ph- which can also be written as a f- dependent on whether it has a dagesh). And I don't know enough about the Kabbalah or about the relevant grammar to say which is most correct here, especially if you're using it as a name!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Bismack Billabongo posted:

MIDGAR TRIP REPORT 3/3

MIDGAR FFVII TRIP REPORT 4/?

Tried for a while to find Yuffie in the forest areas outside of Fort Condor. Failed miserably and decided I don’t care enough to keep trying right now.

The music in Kalm or the town below Junon (original recipe junon?) rules

Tifas limit break is way better than I remember. I feel like I should never remove her from the party. Haven’t learned past somersault yet but I figure I’m about due.

The fort condor mini game is super lame.

The dolphin bit is really goofy even for this game. I wonder how the decision was made that this is how cloud should reach the top part of Junon.

I remember having a much harder time against the junon beach monster boss before and I’m not sure why. Got in that rear end quick like this time. It probably helps that I have stolen weapons that are actually good instead of junky bullshit.

The long range materia rules, definitely never bothered grabbing that before and now I get to park Tifa in back row to whale on people.

Kind of running into the Pokémon problem where you want to use lots of guys but the core group is just too good to justify switching out of at this point. Barrett and red xiii can enjoy their time alone I guess.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lines posted:

Wasn't Tifa named after the Tiferet or was that just a secondary assumption

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Bismack Billabongo posted:

MIDGAR FFVII TRIP REPORT 4/?

Tried for a while to find Yuffie in the forest areas outside of Fort Condor. Failed miserably and decided I don’t care enough to keep trying right now.

The music in Kalm or the town below Junon (original recipe junon?) rules

Tifas limit break is way better than I remember. I feel like I should never remove her from the party. Haven’t learned past somersault yet but I figure I’m about due.

The fort condor mini game is super lame.

The dolphin bit is really goofy even for this game. I wonder how the decision was made that this is how cloud should reach the top part of Junon.

I remember having a much harder time against the junon beach monster boss before and I’m not sure why. Got in that rear end quick like this time. It probably helps that I have stolen weapons that are actually good instead of junky bullshit.

The long range materia rules, definitely never bothered grabbing that before and now I get to park Tifa in back row to whale on people.

Kind of running into the Pokémon problem where you want to use lots of guys but the core group is just too good to justify switching out of at this point. Barrett and red xiii can enjoy their time alone I guess.

Your chances to run into Yuffie go up the further you get into the game. So it's about 1/8 chance outside Junon (well, 32/256 according to the wiki) and goes up as high as 255/256 at the forest outside Rocket Town so if you're content to wait you can get her much easier later in the game - I suppose it depends how much you want her and/or care about getting her affection points high enough for the Gold Saucer date scene.

The good news is that the game keeps the party members you don't use relatively close in level and while they'll be underleveled I never found them too weak to contribute if I had a change of heart to swap one of them in.

Tifa's limit break is a guaranteed critical strike on YEAH so if you kept her in Fury status to build her limit gauge quickly and you're confident in your slot skills she can absolutely melt single target encounters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wasn't Tifa named after the Tiferet or was that just a secondary assumption

It is an assumption but I don't think ever actually confirmed.

Also Sephirot and Sephiroth actually are different in Japanese. The ff14 is: セフィロト vs FF7's セフィロス

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 24, 2023

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Isn't Tifa also like, just a name? Like there's also a Gundam character named Tifa.

Not to say there can't be deeper meaning but I feel like its also a name you'll occasionally see people have, unlike Sephiroth or whatever.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Anyway I'm going down the Moominland rabbit hole this morning and am theorizing that the anime adaptation of Comet in Moominland (released in Japan in 1992) was an influence on FF7 lol

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Little My would totally gently caress up Sephiroth.

Moominpapa would think the Lifestream is booze and try to drink it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’ll also argue that Twin Peaks was probably a huge tonal influence on FFVII, since it was still very popular in Japan when they started preproduction.

The off-kilter comedy/sheer terror balance is very Lynch. Also the OST is very Angelo Badalamenti in places.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Raxivace posted:

I feel like it’s also a name you'll occasionally see people have, unlike Sephiroth or whatever.

The generation that grew up with FF7 is having kids you know…

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Well they can hang out with that kid named after the Skyrim guy I guess.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

HD DAD posted:

I’ll also argue that Twin Peaks was probably a huge tonal influence on FFVII, since it was still very popular in Japan when they started preproduction.

The off-kilter comedy/sheer terror balance is very Lynch. Also the OST is very Angelo Badalamenti in places.

lol yeah I was thinking the Kalm theme sounds a bit like Falling

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

In a few years people who were kids when FF7 came out could be having grandkids.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Isn't Tifa also like, just a name? Like there's also a Gundam character named Tifa.

Fraw Bow is also the name of a Gundam character

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Fraw Bow is also the name of a Gundam character

Full Frontal is my favorite wacky Gundam name.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Full Frontal is my favorite wacky Gundam name.

Tomino Names are very good. FF could learn a lot

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Kacricon Cacooler

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Naming my firstborn Karl Boss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Klimton Nicchini son of Zuchini Nicchini

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It bugged me in FF16 that Sanbreque has a very French influence in its names and general vibes but everyone just has the same accent. Give me my fantasy Frenchmen.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Raxivace posted:

Not to say there can't be deeper meaning but I feel like its also a name you'll occasionally see people have, unlike Sephiroth or whatever.

There's not much other than those two that uses it, though you could argue a reasonable derivation from Tiffany for both.

Amusingly, the big-rear end neon sign on the front of Seventh Heaven reads "Tyfer Bar".

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The thing is you can totally see sullen emo teenager Squall Lionheart driving that thing to school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

squall definitely seems like the kind of kid whod have a convertible imo