Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
You wouldn't STEAL A CAR:siren:

You wouldn't adblock a BILLBOARD:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Arivia posted:

The line of what? Are you gonna file reports like “poster uses an adblocker”

Narcs fuckin everywhere I tell you what

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Palladium posted:

i have already mostly migrated to Bilibili for video consumption since i know chinese

better recs, zero in-video ads even without paid subscription, better content

i barely even use youtube now lol

this the YouTube thread bro

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I wonder who the Linus of Bilibili would be.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Its linus hes on bilibili

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

anakha posted:

I wonder who the Linus of Bilibili would be.

Linus found out that some group was taking their videos, translating it, and then reuploading it to Bilibili, so LTT just hired them to do it officially, and that channel has over a million subs.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 24, 2023

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Linus found out that some group was taking their videos, translating it, and then reuploading it to Bilibili, so LTT just hired them to do it officially, and that channel has over a million subs.

That's oddly smart of him.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
2000s: I don't even own a television

2020s: I don't even watch youtube

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

trilobite terror posted:

You wouldn't STEAL A CAR:siren:

You wouldn't adblock a BILLBOARD:siren:

If you avert your eyes from a billboard? Straight to jail.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

If you avert your eyes from a billboard? Straight to jail.

I got up to take a leak during a commercial break for the football game last night and the FBI is raiding my house right now.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I work on computers for a living and basically everything LTT does (recently) seems like it's for the first time or just barely attempted before, especially when they break out the soldering iron. Linus is hopelessly impatient and probably has no time to practice/rehearse things. Nor do his staff. There are a lot of funny problems, but they're problems. It's starting to feel like the incompetence is the content, which has always been true, but cranked to 11.

Oh man when Emily started hosting, the sheer knowledge depth in her brain was exciting, real computer nerd poo poo. Or when Jake schools linus on networks.... Delicious. Even Luke seems more comfortable with well planned executions and thrives after a difficult job goes well, beaming with pride when a custom part works flawlessly. Vids where it's just Linus talking his opinion out are lit, no cap.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 24, 2023

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

down1nit posted:

I work on computers for a living and basically everything LTT does (recently) seems like it's for the first time or just barely attempted before, especially when they break out the soldering iron. Linus is hopelessly impatient and probably has no time to practice/rehearse things. Nor do his staff. There are a lot of funny problems, but they're problems. It's starting to feel like the incompetence is the content, which has always been true, but cranked to 11.

Oh man when Emily started hosting, the sheer knowledge depth in her brain was exciting, real computer nerd poo poo. Or when Jake schools linus on networks.... Delicious. Even Luke seems more comfortable with well planned executions and thrives after a difficult job goes well, beaming with pride when a custom part works flawlessly. Vids where it's just Linus talking his opinion out are lit, no cap.

They don't have time, they produce like 30 videos a week, its a self imposed handicap, they need to produce more content.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

wargames posted:

They don't have time, they produce like 30 videos a week, its a self imposed handicap, they need to produce more content.

Wouldn't it be great if occasionally some people on YouTube learned that shoving that much crap out the door just makes it crap

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

Wouldn't it be great if occasionally some people on YouTube learned that shoving that much crap out the door just makes it crap

Those are the people with small channels appreciated by a niche of nerds who know their poo poo.

The algorithm HEAVILY favors channels that update regularly. From the standpoint of making a living it's far, far better to churn out a 15 minute video of hot take trash twice a week than it is to make a single highly polished, quality 60 minute video once every two weeks. And god help you when the reality of making quality content sets in and you're only making that high quality hour-long video once a month.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

down1nit posted:

Pretty sure, when they were doing the 20+ videos a week, when Linus was hosting/lead they simply had it all set up for him and he walked on set and started reading the script. I've no idea how their videos are now, as I haven't watched ever since the Gamers Nexus video came out.

He had said he was in on all the writing meetings, so he knew what was going to be going on each week, also gets him a writing credit. How much that sunk in? Who knows.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Those are the people with small channels appreciated by a niche of nerds who know their poo poo.

The algorithm HEAVILY favors channels that update regularly. From the standpoint of making a living it's far, far better to churn out a 15 minute video of hot take trash twice a week than it is to make a single highly polished, quality 60 minute video once every two weeks. And god help you when the reality of making quality content sets in and you're only making that high quality hour-long video once a month.
It seems to be what type of content they are doing effects how many videos they release. The tech ones churn out multiple videos a week, and there are also covering the latest releases. Car people seem to just uploaded when they finish wrenching and edit the video. Then there are the people who do tool/item restoration. On top of the restoration taking multiple weeks, it's got to be so much video to edit down, so their videos are once a month or so.

Koskun fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 24, 2023

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

Got news for you, people enjoy crap if it's produced nice. Source: the past century of tv/film

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Shipon posted:

Got news for you, people enjoy crap if it's produced nice. Source: the past century of tv/film

I mean I get that but nothing of Linus' I've watched has made me even feel like letting him autoplay in the background. Most of it seems like unscripted rambling that's been edited down from people that aren't as informed as they want you to think they are.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
For high quality, low frequency of output I just love Pat Finnerty’s “what makes this song stink” series. It has a whole lore being developed over the course of the series with extremely dense jokes and callbacks. I was so happy when he put out a new one recently after being away for a while due to back issues.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

priznat posted:

For high quality, low frequency of output I just love Pat Finnerty’s “what makes this song stink” series. It has a whole lore being developed over the course of the series with extremely dense jokes and callbacks. I was so happy when he put out a new one recently after being away for a while due to back issues.

I love Pat, and it was nice to finally get closure on that simple plan. Plus I keep learning stuff about music theory (Beato) (I don't know about Beato).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

I love Pat, and it was nice to finally get closure on that simple plan. Plus I keep learning stuff about music theory (Beato) (I don't know about Beato).

I know! I love how it is funny and you learn stuff.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Mr Carlsons Lab is pretty high effort but it's all just old radio stuff. I am new to Tech Tangents but yeah, like that. Dude has a great channel. Eddie Burback did a really high effort video on ghost kitchens and it got a shout out on the podcast 99% Invisible.

People notice when they're watching schlock and when they're watching something amazing. The ghost kitchen story, while mooooostly useless is so high effort as to be a Mythbusters episode. I really love everybody at LTT and I know they can do better, great brains there no matter the quality of video imo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Koskun posted:

It seems to be what type of content they are doing effects how many videos they release. The tech ones churn out multiple videos a week, and there are also covering the latest releases. Car people seem to just uploaded when they finish wrenching and edit the video. Then there are the people who do tool/item restoration. On top of the restoration taking multiple weeks, it's got to be so much video to edit down, so their videos are once a month or so.

There are absolutely restoration channels churning out crap on a nearly weekly basis. There are a bunch that all look the same that are made by some production company that craps stuff out onto youtube non-stop. Happens a lot, where you get someone coming up with an interesting idea and then it gets run into the ground by content mills.

A lot of the restoration videos are also more or less faked, with either artificially hosed up things or just random garbage where the "restoration" is basically just polishing and sanding. I've made a few effort posts about this elsewhere but the tl;dr is that you can mostly spot it by the ones that gently caress with the color settings on the thumbnail to make it look like a knife that's just old has giant blooms of active rust.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

priznat posted:

it's insane how he started making those videos like 2 years ago and is already making thr best videos on the platform

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

priznat posted:

Never heard of him, but already enjoying the third episode right now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sagacity posted:

Never heard of him, but already enjoying the third episode right now.

they’re all great

his livestreams are great

watch pat

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I'm to the part he's recruiting on IG Live. Just subbed holy poo poo thanks goons.

Thoons

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

watho posted:

it's insane how he started making those videos like 2 years ago and is already making thr best videos on the platform

I haven't watched any of that guy but I feel certain this guy is strong competition

https://www.youtube.com/@bobbyfingers/videos

watch from oldest posted to newest, there's only four videos so far and there's a beautiful progression (of sheer insanity as well as production values, which start out high)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bobby Fingers is a treasure.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

watho posted:

Yeah after watching a few I was thinking “this guy needs his own show” but really with YouTube that doesn’t even seem necessary anymore.

Just one of my favourite channels, love his editing on top of everything else.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Cyrano4747 posted:

There are absolutely restoration channels churning out crap on a nearly weekly basis. There are a bunch that all look the same that are made by some production company that craps stuff out onto youtube non-stop. Happens a lot, where you get someone coming up with an interesting idea and then it gets run into the ground by content mills.

A lot of the restoration videos are also more or less faked, with either artificially hosed up things or just random garbage where the "restoration" is basically just polishing and sanding. I've made a few effort posts about this elsewhere but the tl;dr is that you can mostly spot it by the ones that gently caress with the color settings on the thumbnail to make it look like a knife that's just old has giant blooms of active rust.

There are only a handful that I watch regularly - HTR, My Mechanics, TysyTube - They aren't the ones you describe. They do hit the fad trends once in a while, but that's about it.

Some how I've been able to keep my home page free of the really bad farm-churned ones.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

If you need something to watch this holiday season I highly recommend Brandy Brandwood and his series about Leon the lobster, who he adopted from a supermarket seafood section and started raising as a pet: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0HiM4heFTOoxnxAnv_WJJArugTScPBUg

What do you mean that's not tech lobsters are very tech he benchmarks how powerful his pet lobster's claws are compared to a press in the series. :colbert:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

I feel like hbomberguy is now the poster boy for "high quality, low frequency of output", he seems to crawl out once a year now and absolutey wreck someone's poo poo in extreme detail.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I just found Pat Finnerty the other day and man he's great. The rapid fire jokes, recurring bits, spot on delivery and general likeability makes him an easy recommendation.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I feel like hbomberguy is now the poster boy for "high quality, low frequency of output", he seems to crawl out once a year now and absolutey wreck someone's poo poo in extreme detail.

Yeah I’m kind of surprised he hasn’t jumped to Nebula.

He’s a harder recommend as a lot of people will really bounce off especially given the run times!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Beau Miles is the YouTube low-tech non-idiot. A real palate cleanser.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

priznat posted:

Yeah I’m kind of surprised he hasn’t jumped to Nebula.

He’s a harder recommend as a lot of people will really bounce off especially given the run times!

I think he is on Nebula, the plagiarism video I think was on there without the Somerton stuff before it was on Youtube. I also think it’s funny that he apparently hates the long runtime videos and would much rather keep stuff below an hour generally but some subjects just get away from him. Though the Deus Ex Human Revolution video was intentionally made that long just so it could be 3:33:33.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

njsykora posted:

I think he is on Nebula, the plagiarism video I think was on there without the Somerton stuff before it was on Youtube. I also think it’s funny that he apparently hates the long runtime videos and would much rather keep stuff below an hour generally but some subjects just get away from him. Though the Deus Ex Human Revolution video was intentionally made that long just so it could be 3:33:33.

Honestly, I love the guy, but there's no reason his videos need to be as long as they are. I think he just throws all his research in all it doesn't feel like a waste of time.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I roll my eyes every time I see the runtime is 10:01. You get an extra ad when your video hits 10:00. Once you start looking for it you'll see it everywhere.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It used to float around 11 or so, loads of videos circa 2017 are dead on 11 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
does this count?

https://youtu.be/YQdkEQ50cq8?si=Vjdmy5klrum56zZA