Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rescue Toaster posted:

5 hPa = 500 Pascals = nearly two INCHES of water column

Haha yeah oops. I meant 5 pascals, not 5 hectopascals

quote:

So realistically speaking, most people can achieve negative pressure easily most of the time, if you seal obvious gaps in the room and have a decent window fan. But you will always have periods of time where the room goes positive pressure. So you will need corsi cubes inside and outside the room to help handle those events.

I put negative pressure in my list first because it's something people are probably not thinking about or doing since it's only really relevant when you're trying to isolate a sick person (vs filters, which you can do all the time). I think it's entirely worth doing both.

Speaking of corsi boxes, I got a luggable from https://www.cleanairkits.com/products/luggables. For the price point, I'm kind of surprised they didn't throw in some gaffer and foam tape (which you need to actually seal the box).

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 20:06 on Dec 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/michael_hoerger/status/1738655199982456922?s=46

eyyyy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Yeahhh gonna proceed with my plan to be the one masked weirdo when my company has a big in-person meeting in January

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Christmas is cancelled thanks to RSV. Too many old people and can’t risk getting them sick with something that is really bad for them.

Glad we couldn’t get vaccinated before school started and thankful for the assholes who brought their kids sick to school last week. Also the doctor who probably had RSV and was coughing a ton when we saw him two weeks ago.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Uh oh

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Zugzwang posted:

Yeahhh gonna proceed with my plan to be the one masked weirdo when my company has a big in-person meeting in January

Classes start January 2nd for me and the kid 🙃

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

She's only posting that because of the amazon yankee candle echo chamber. It has nothing to do with covid.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I'd never heard of RSV until what, 2 years ago?

Now it's this crazy, killer poo poo! Maybe hyping it up to get people to do some mitigation again is actually genius? Don't worry about the plandemic, but this RSV is no joke, I tell you what boy.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
I wonder if a bunch of people getting each other sick at a big ol thanksgiving gatherings, taking a month to spread what they picked up from friens and family around their return to office jobsites, then going back for a second large family gathering at christmas and finally topping that off with a large new years bash is going to result in a spike of cases?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Welp, really can't wait to get into the eye dr :allears:

When I was googling eye stuff and covid most of what I found was long covid people with focal plane problems that didn't sound exactly like what I am experiencing, which seemed good because it sounds neurological but

Pre-COVID I was worried about my eyes and on a test my close-up was fine, same in both eyes, my distance vision was somewhat impaired, same in both eyes. Got a script for identical-strength distance lenses, which I was told I could use as much or little as seemed helpful, and I have not used them a tremendous amount.

What I notice today:
Right eye: significantly impaired close up vision, magazines basically unreadable. Much better distance vision than left eye.
Left eye: the reverse of these things.

That's a weird loving change, whatever the cause, and makes me think that when I'm looking at poo poo in the distance my right eye is doing most of the work, and vice versa, which probably is not a good thing to be doing to my brain and maybe I now need two sets of full-time glasses to correct both things :allears:

This could be totally unrelated to having had COVID that sealed both of my eyes 2 nights in a row and made my right eye bloodshot and blurry for most of 2 entire days, but :raise: I sorta doubt it.

I can't read some of my synthesizer OLEDs with my right eye anymore, so, I'm gonna have to do something*

* "something" may include being told to gently caress off by the medical establishment, sighing, and smoking more weed.

Strep Vote posted:

Classes start January 2nd for me and the kid 🙃

I'm talking our older kid into masking again at least for the first month of second semester; I am actively looking at better air purification for my office room, and considering the kind of drastic step of just not having dinner with wife & younger kid for a while, and hanging out with them masked instead. I feel like the odds of one or both of them getting tagged by [i]something
in the post-holiday period is pretty high, and I don't want to be sick again, COVID or something less lovely (or, you know, more lovely, it does still happen).

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Seasons Greetings covid thread

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Christmas in December was a mistake. we should move it to June

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Baddog posted:

Now it's this crazy, killer poo poo! Maybe hyping it up to get people to do some mitigation again is actually genius? Don't worry about the plandemic, but this RSV is no joke, I tell you what boy.

We have vaccines now for RSV but, uh it would set a bad precedent if they didn’t gatekeep them.

We have to make it extremely hard to get because of “reasons”. Ignore that it’s killing kids and elderly or that our hospitals are packed.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Steve Yun posted:

the planet is trying its best

working faster than we expected too!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Baddog posted:

same, never loving heard of it before covid hit

Cabbages and Kings posted:

This could be totally unrelated to having had COVID that sealed both of my eyes 2 nights in a row and made my right eye bloodshot and blurry for most of 2 entire days, but :raise: I sorta doubt it.

if I may soapbox for a second: "correlation is not causation" is true, for strict logical definitions of the terms. however, all scientific evidence and reasoning is correlative. science doesn't exist without inductive reasoning. a scientist's principle job is to construct experiments such that causation is the only plausible explanation for observed correlation. a situation like yours is not logical proof, but it certainly is a blinking neon sign the size of a schoolbus

Steve Yun posted:

honestly let's do this. nobody likes being outside and traveling when it's cold. when it's warm out you can hang around outside and grill.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

summer Christmas isn’t helping Australia at all.

it’s not the heat, it’s the humanity

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Perhaps it changed the shape of your eye, ie thickened choroid (the vascular bit) and thinned retina (the neuronal/glial bit).

Pingui posted:

Fortunately where we're going, this particular sense isn't needed to see.
"Study Details Ocular Repercussions, Structural Changes After COVID-19 Infection"

Link to study proper:
"Ocular repercussions in COVID-19 patients: structural changes of the retina and choroid"
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09273972.2023.2278639

Strep Vote posted:

Loss of neuronal tissue and i would not be surprised if a thicker choroid as well leads to visual distortions due to the changes in the eyeball shape.

Someone give me a medical license.

E: farsightedness is when your eyeball is too short (so that's your infected eye) and nearsightedness is when the eyeball is too long ("normal" left eye).

Strep Vote has issued a correction as of 21:54 on Dec 24, 2023

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SixteenShells posted:

same, never loving heard of it before covid hit

Let's take a brief look at the google trends for RSV and see if there's any correlation with... oh.

It's great that we have concrete, definitive proof of what can be accomplished when people work together, and when they don't.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I just tried to fill a test2treat pax script at Walmart pharmacy in wisconsin, and it is now $1500 and my insurance policy seems to be they will only fill once every 300 days

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
dang Toronto

https://x.com/maolesen/status/1739010670358651124?s=46

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Last Christmas, I gave you my cough

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
as i'm wrapping up work (liquor store) on christmas eve I have a sneaking suspicion that my inlaws are literally concealing someone sick from me because they are not answering various innocuous questions i've asked about dinner tonight.

mask for the entire evening it is! test my poo poo I dare you!!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

icantfindaname posted:

I just tried to fill a test2treat pax script at Walmart pharmacy in wisconsin, and it is now $1500 and my insurance policy seems to be they will only fill once every 300 days

Tools.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I've been home from the hospital for 24 hours and walked for the first time in 2.5 weeks for 20 mins. Felt like a marathon in high heat. Take care of your heart, kiddos. This poo poo sucks.

Hope you are doing ok, sex fart 🙏

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
'Tis the season

quote:

For 79-year-old Adelaide resident Marnie Hamilton, the Christmas period is a time to ensure her health and wellbeing is upheld, even while she is with her immediate family.

"I'm severely immunocompromised, so I need to be responsible and maintain my wellbeing as much as I can," she said.

"My immediate family will have all been cleared of COVID before attending [Christmas], then it's just a matter of socially distancing — I give them brief hugs and sit outside."

Ms Hamilton has Myelodysplasia, a group of cancers which affect the growth and development of healthy blood cells in bone marrow.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-24/covid-impact-on-christmas-this-year/103259130

Sounds like she's relying on her family to test and won't be masking, we all know how that can go. :ohdear:

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
As a general rule -I've never seen so much red. Generally gets up to 90% but drop quickly.

The statesare on fire!

This is the first time I've seen a new strain dominate like this.

Raw Data

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Dog Case posted:

Seasons Greetings covid thread

My parents unwittingly let me get this book in third grade and it definitely left its glorious mark, so much so when I grew up I got ahold of a second expensive copy since it’s never going back in print.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

icantfindaname posted:

pax faucet is now closed, good while it lasted, hope everyone grabbed their fauci dose

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
I hope unfortunatesexfart is farting while resting in bed not bothering with covid

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

icantfindaname posted:

dang

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

:d2a:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

That would explain why I finally just saw paxlovid being advertised today for the first time while watching football

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

So far I'm thirty six hours into a 72 hour cross country trip to visit my family for the first time since covid started. I've got an N95 welded to my face and brought an air purifier for the hotel room.

Amusingly my family has never mentioned the mask but rather seem to want to pretend it doesn't exist. Lots of "want anything to drink" and "where should we go out to eat". Many shocked pokachu faces when I tell them I will just get takeout, etc. lol.

Figure if I'm gonna get tagged it'll be this that does it but I'm actually taking as many precautions as I can while taking the big risk at least. Won't know for a few days either way but fingers crossed the person on the 3M manufacturing line had their coffee the day they made my batch.

Only trust your respirators.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
what tools do we have left? expired rapid tests? $1500 paxlovid?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

decompose() hates it!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Strep Vote posted:

Perhaps it changed the shape of your eye, ie thickened choroid (the vascular bit) and thinned retina (the neuronal/glial bit).

I believe I had a pretty thourough exam including dialation etc; I'm less sure what if this they would be able to see, but I'll be interested to hear what they make of it.

The prospect of this being progressive or something would be awful but weirdly taking a hit to my vision just has me thinking "huh". No denial, no bargaining.

I feel like I did that whole process so much with the tinnitus that I still have, that I will only get real headfucked by health again when something worse comes along. Total blindness, near blindness, or a general inability to enjoy visual things would meet that bar but the current level of disability is something I am finding myself pensive about but kind of taking in stride.

I do some amount of voluntary dumb poo poo that carries a risk of TBIs (skiing, off-road electric biking, etc); it's interesting to consider my annoyance here at viruses in general and our culture in specific, vs how I'd feel if the same thing felt self-inflicted. To a large degree I have always blamed myself a lot for the incident that caused my tinnitus to get worse but I don't think that was too much of a factor in the intolerable anxious distress that came along with.

Happy holidays. We're all safe and warm and not going anywhere so if no one shows any symptoms of anything in the next 2-3 days I may make it a couple whole weeks "in health"!! Inshallah.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Objective Action posted:

So far I'm thirty six hours into a 72 hour cross country trip to visit my family for the first time since covid started. I've got an N95 welded to my face and brought an air purifier for the hotel room.

Amusingly my family has never mentioned the mask but rather seem to want to pretend it doesn't exist. Lots of "want anything to drink" and "where should we go out to eat". Many shocked pokachu faces when I tell them I will just get takeout, etc. lol.

Figure if I'm gonna get tagged it'll be this that does it but I'm actually taking as many precautions as I can while taking the big risk at least. Won't know for a few days either way but fingers crossed the person on the 3M manufacturing line had their coffee the day they made my batch.

Only trust your respirators.

I can somewhat understand doing this if you're staying home as a couple or single but what family get togethers simply must go to applebees for the holidays? What are you bringing the family together for if not a feast? And there's always infinity leftovers. If no one wants to cook most grocery places offer like a holiday special anyways.

Quick lets have everyone drive 5 hours to grandma's place so we can go to golden corral?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I have a huge family (7 aunts, 4 uncles, generations of cousins, yes my grandparents are Catholic) and at a certain point we had to start renting out halls for Christmas because everybody couldn't fit in the same house. We'd cook for Thanksgiving, but for Christmas we just started getting pizza because it's too much hassle.