Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched The Black Room. It's like the quintessential Vinegar Syndrome movie, a low budget horror movie for perverts from the 80s with enough of a weird unique flair to make it stand out in your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Holy poo poo Poor Things was amazing

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Roommate never saw Big Lebowski so we watched it together

You know how people sometimes daydream about erasing your memory and watching great movies again for the first time? It was great to be me today because I have a bad memory and 90% of the movie was new to me again

Then I found out my roommate never saw Raising Arizona so we watched that

Teared up when Holly Hunter was talking about how maybe they’re terrible people and should break up. Forgot what a great actress she is.

Good day for movies

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I think you'd have to find Mackey and Beatriz funny actors. I didn't I had bad time. If you like those guys it's probably gonna be a pretty good time. Also I never played that game so I might not know

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Big Lebowski is definitely a movie that is always okay to put on but really shines with certain moods and under certain conditions.

It's like Rushmore.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

That's not a "joke" he commits suicide. Romeo gets very dead

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The Peccadillo posted:

I think you'd have to find Mackey and Beatriz funny actors. I didn't I had bad time. If you like those guys it's probably gonna be a pretty good time. Also I never played that game so I might not know

The Peccadillo posted:

That's not a "joke" he commits suicide. Romeo gets very dead

what

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I made a lame joke about DiCaprio never outgrowing Juliets and edited it out.

I don't follow celebrities so I don't know what the actual age disparity is between him and those he dates but there's def jokes made about this.

OP is making the joke that he couldn't outgrow dating younger because he died in the film.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 23, 2023

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

I made a lame joke about DiCaprio never outgrowing Juliets and edited it out.

I don't follow celebrities so I don't know what the actual age disparity is between him and those he dates but there's def jokes made about this.

OP is making the joke that he couldn't outgrow dating younger because he died in the film.

No I'm making a joke about how the several hundred year old play Romeo and Juliet ends what the hell

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

most recent version of Gústi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT3hk2nkcp4
Now with original music

Still needs some sound mixing and color grading but we're getting close to a finished product.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The movies need less Yorgos Lanthimos and more Panos Cosmatos

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The movies need less Yorgos Lanthimos and more Panos Cosmatos

it's all Greek to me

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Wrap it up. The movie of the year has been decided.

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1738666962677334121

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Speaking of Kojima, while rewatching Big Lebowski last night I couldn’t help but think MGSV did an homage to it

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

I haven't seen it but it might be worth looking into.

I'm a little upset because I don't think I've heard of it despite actively looking for films to watch on places like RT all year.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mordiceius posted:

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1738666962677334121

It’s very good (I have been watching a lot of films as part of my annual end of year BAFTA-voting binge). It’s slow, quiet, contemplative and gentle, so it doesn’t smack you over the head like Poor Things, nor does it have the emotional gut-punch of All Of Us Strangers, but it is very good in a very understated way. Understated is probably the best word to describe it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i keep wanting to make Homer mad at Wim Wenders memes but that was Walt Whitman

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I really wanted to like Leave the World Behind or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the CG Transition but just couldn't get there. It felt like it ended at the end of act 2. The dread was effective but with no real payoff.

It didn't feel like they had a whole lot of research or consulting on the tech part of it. The whole cyber attack thing just felt too hokey and huge in scope for a one day effect. Not to mention the somehow instant effect on wildlife and nature that made zero sense?

And the kid's radiation poisoning or something from the bug? And he seems to be acting totally fine except for teeth falling about and puking up blood?

Also the whole "reveal" being that "actually it's easier for them to just sow discord and let us defeat ourselves" was funny because like... no poo poo! that's what we're currently living lol. Just on a slightly longer timeline than a weekend.

Good performances, looked decent although I was seriously getting annoyed at all the CG transitions. It was like "yeah yeah we get it you've watched some Fincher."

And I liked the Friends ending honestly. It was so stupid but kind of sweet.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Yeah. I wrote that I'm a wash on it already.

The proposed explanation for the whole thig was stupid. Maybe there was concern it'd be too artsy/pretentious to leave it open and well that may be true but the solution isn't to have the mysterious houseowner to happen to work for the people.

And I never liked Friends even one little bit so I found that plot a bit annoying but was overall ripping my hair out at how an older brother can treat his kid sister like that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It was produced by the Obamas, all that stuff is really and is actually going to happen. The fall of the United States is imminent, and only those who have invested in physical media will survive.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Gripweed posted:

It was produced by the Obamas, all that stuff is really and is actually going to happen.

Ah yeah, everything Obama promises comes to pass.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

happy Yule to all

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bright Bart posted:

Yeah. I wrote that I'm a wash on it already.

The proposed explanation for the whole thig was stupid. Maybe there was concern it'd be too artsy/pretentious to leave it open and well that may be true but the solution isn't to have the mysterious houseowner to happen to work for the people.

And I never liked Friends even one little bit so I found that plot a bit annoying but was overall ripping my hair out at how an older brother can treat his kid sister like that.

Well I mean it was less about Friends and more about her need as a child to connect to something that gives you security and reminds you of a stabler time so what the show actually was is pretty irrelevant.

But yeah one other thing I forgot to complain about was how obtuse George was about who he was when he first arrived. So frustrating.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Watched The Killer. Enjoyed it enough while watching it but it’s pretty forgettable.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Funnily enough I just put The Killer on at my mom's. And even from the first five minutes I could feel how underwhelmed I would've been if I'd seen it at home. The Smiths are supposed to be ear shattering not background music.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Watched two holiday movies only one of which I'd recommend

Last Holiday (2006) is a perfect hug of a movie. Queen Latifah works in cookware sales and has never really got her life going before she is diagnosed with a terminal illness. She decides to go to a fancy hotel to live it up and teach the true meaning of life to a bunch of rich snobs.

It has insane chemistry, it has LL Cool J, it has only good vibes. Don't let the mixed reviews scare you away, it's well-directed, dripping with charisma and life, it has no drama. It has Roger Ebert recognizing what is important:

Roger Ebert posted:

One of the movie's best scenes comes when she gives advice to the tycoon's mistress -- who is conventionally sexy, but senses that Georgia [Queen Latifah] is sexy in a transcendent way because of who she is. The mistress is sexy to look at. Georgia is sexy when you see her. The men at the other table can't take their eyes off.

Something I can see myself rewatching multiple times. Just a classic human film.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - This was in Kanopy's unconventional holiday list and while it's got a great reputation and an insane cast it just did not vibe for me.

I think just a lot of 90s/2000s comedy lands on the cringe side of things. The misogyny, gay jokes—even while tongue in cheek—just turns me off (wetter than Drew Barrymore in a grunge club). The twisty plot and neo-noir shenanigans sure but it lands so try-hard that there's no warmth to it.

But hey I also didn't like The Nice Guys so maybe I'm just not a detective comedy guy.

Segue fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 25, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
For a second I genuinely thought you meant the Last Christmas where Danaerys falls in love with the ghost of the guy whose heart she got for a transplant last year, who Last Christmas gave her his heart.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

whoa spoilers

i thought it was she gave him her heart

not sure how I thought they could still live

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Why is it a thing in movies and television that someone spills a drink on their shirt or pants, or otherwise gets it or them wet for instance by sweating a whole lot, and they're mortified so they attempt to dry the garments using the hand-dryer in the bathroom but somehow it ends up being more embarassing because for instance someone walks in to see them shirtless or aiming their crotch at the air stream?

This was just in a movie out right now I tried to see because of one of the actors in it. And it was a strike towards me not finishing it.

Can't remember if this happening in IASIP was played for straight laughs or was a parody of this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gripweed posted:

It was produced by the Obamas, all that stuff is really and is actually going to happen. The fall of the United States is imminent, and only those who have invested in physical media will survive.

It's literally about Havana Syndrome.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

For a second I genuinely thought you meant the Last Christmas where Danaerys falls in love with the ghost of the guy whose heart she got for a transplant last year, who Last Christmas gave her his heart.

I got confused too but they meant Last Holiday.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
celtyp is trying to make a movie!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ferrari slaps. Someone get Mann funding while he's still alive to make more great films.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/horrorhammer1/status/1739120618073694335?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Christopher Lee answered the question I was wondering but it made me ask more questions.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

in all honesty I was not wondering why he was wearing that hat. I expect all older great actors to make striking fashion choices, like Al Pacino being fuckin draped in turquoise jewelry

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Looks pretty great for having died 8 years ago.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's literally about Havana Syndrome.

Yeah that part didn't age well. Kinda embarrassing

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Looks pretty great for having died 8 years ago.

he's a vampire OP

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BonoMan posted:

Yeah that part didn't age well. Kinda embarrassing

?? Didn't this movie just come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

?? Didn't this movie just come out?

Ha yes. I mean just that Havana Syndrome always seemed bunk (as like... An actual "energy weapon") so including it like an actual weapon was kind of cringe.