Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Right around 3060, since the 1st Kathil Uhlans have left for Serpent but the author is still talking about Morgan Hasek-Davion like he's alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
New Spartan's Clan ECM feels so wrong driving that Stealth Armor, but I won't complain about the new chunkiest cavalry TAGger ever, complete with headcapping capability!

New Mauler is what I'd always wished the first Jihad-era upgrade was :stonk:

New Thunder Hawk doesn't have CASE and has Composite :v:

E: those Harassers are terrifying for what they are and how much they cost

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Defiance Industries posted:

Right around 3060, since the 1st Kathil Uhlans have left for Serpent but the author is still talking about Morgan Hasek-Davion like he's alive.

did they ever say who killed him?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GD_American posted:

did they ever say who killed him?

No, but it's probably WoB. They're the only group to have both access and motive. Nobody else had infiltrated ComStar so thoroughly and anyone else who wanted to kill Morgan would have done so after the mission, since they had a vested interest in its success. Plus, we know from the appearance of a superjump signature during Serpent that there were other WoB ships operating on the Exodus Road.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 23, 2023

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

New Thunder Hawk doesn't have CASE and has Composite :v:

Which is of course why you have it fire indirectly with comm-implant augmented, stealth-suited infantry!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

Nobody else had infiltrated ComStar so thoroughly and anyone else who wanted to kill Morgan would have done so after the mission, since they had a vested interest in its success.

I'm certain it was Katherine Steiner. She was confident that Bulldog would succeed without him but wanted it to take longer and deny Victor his chief supporter. She just got extra lucky that Victor decided to gently caress off for two years.

The Word of Blake wanted Bulldog to succeed because they were getting a seat at the big kids table and weren't throwing their fit yet.

Edit: And Katherine was the only one in the Inner Sphere able to hire Agent 47.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 23, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Katherine would have killed Morgan on the way back. She gave Sharon Bryan a special mission to collect Clan technology that was never followed up on, so she wanted to make sure Serpent was a success. Same reason Sun-Tzu wouldn't have killed him until the return, he's got a vested interest in them winning. WoB wouldn't want Bulldog/Serpent to succeed at all, because they want to be the ones who defeat the Clans forever.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I spent my birthday week at the beach. A buddy of mine who lives in the area met up with my son and I to have a quick game of Battletech. I figured bringing a lance would be easy enough to pack, but we miscommunicated and he thought when he said he had the "starter set" that I understood that it was Alpha Strike when I assumed he meant AGOAC.

Either way, we were determined to play classic as he wanted to learn that system. However, we had no hex map and so had to hastily convert hexes to inches. The lines on the table grating made for solid reference points for turning the mechs and we just ignored levels since it was his first game. I had to google a reference sheet for the various tables and modifiers, but it ended up being a really fun game.

I've learned that Blackjacks rule and Rifleman are the worst.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

any new/updated art in the new guide?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I am trying to bring some of the 25th Anniversary boxset mechs I have up to my current standards. Not bad. I still need work on my freehanding as the stripes still aren't quite straight, but the highlighting and adding a bit more color to the gun barrels really make it pop.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

biosterous posted:

any new/updated art in the new guide?

The new look for the Blood Reaper is lightyears ahead of its DA-adapted original art.

The Loki Mk II looks more like a Loki

The Thunder Hawk art is middling but that's still a great thing to say because it came from TRO 3058 which was Duane Loose's "draw everything with bubbles" phase

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 23, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I like the Thunder Hawk's limbs, but I have the same problem with the torso that I do with the Pillager. Giving them gun nipples (or huge gun tits in the Pillager's case) makes it look like these are more primitive versions of the Star League mechs, not upgrades.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I wonder if there was some concern about external hip guns stealing too much of the Atlas or Banshee's thunder

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
For the Pillager, at least, I think they're trying to make it resemble the Ost[Mechs] a bit more closely.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Why would they do that? Where's the relation between Ostmann and PLG

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, you're right, the Ostsol is too new. I could've sworn Starcorps made both but I'm mistaken.

HildCo might've been cribbing design notes from the Black Knight, though. They're fairly contemporary so it may well have been a "the SLDF liked this design, what elements can we copy without being hit with a lawsuit?"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Pillager was built as a response to the success of the Victor, so I could see trying to make it look like a larger, more sleek Victor with chest guns instead of an arm gun. But I don't think the original design warrants much change, it looks like a beefy xenomorph with a jetpack and Wolverine claws.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Doublepost

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 23, 2023

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Had a session sorry a "Session" of mechwarrior destiny where the players debated color schemes for two and a half hours

Was this good roleplaying or bad DMing?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Had a session sorry a "Session" of mechwarrior destiny where the players debated color schemes for two and a half hours

Next time just have them paint minis for you

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I was invited to a game of the Star Wars D20 RPG back in college and the session where I joined was literally 4 hours of shopping for new equipment. I was understandably miserable, but everyone else swore they had a great time and were that much more excited for the next session because now they had upgraded everything. It seemed like a huge waste of time to me and surely could have been handled through AIM or email between sessions.

I guess the moral of the story is if the players had fun, there's no right or wrong way to do it.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
GMs should be inclulded in 'everyone' when evaluating 'did everyone have fun?' If the color scheme discussion was enjoyable all is well. In the equipment example at least one person was miserable, and all is not well.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Innocent_Bystander posted:

GMs should be inclulded in 'everyone' when evaluating 'did everyone have fun?' If the color scheme discussion was enjoyable all is well. In the equipment example at least one person was miserable, and all is not well.

Absolutely. In my example, I suggested at one point that maybe we wrap up the shopping and move on and I was scolded by the players and GM. I did not return to that campaign, but I clearly didn't contribute to the dynamic they were looking for.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You made the right call.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Pretty happy with how my Ti Ts'ang turned out. It is an incredibly goofy design given the clearly military aesthetic of most other mechs, but I like a bit of flair. Mine turned out to be a little too much like Shredder though.

Anyone have any idea what the name might be trying to mean? Pinyin, the most common system to represent (Mandarin) Chinese with roman letters, doesn't do "ts" as a letter, so I'm guessing this has a bit of Wade-Giles influence, but it may be faux-Chinese and just going for the appearance of Chinese. It may also not be Mandarin. It could potentially be Cantonese or Fujianhua.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's Cantonese, I'm about 85% sure it's pronounced 'Tie Song,' and I'm about 80% sure it's a reference to 地藏 / Ksitigarbha.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 25, 2023

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's Cantonese, I'm about 85% sure it's pronounced 'Tie Song,' and I'm about 80% sure it's a reference to Ksitigarbha.

Correct on the latter, close to correct on the former.

The BattleMech name spelling Ti T'sang is derived from the Pinyin Dì Zàng [Wang Pu Sa], who is indeed the Ksitigarbha of Buddhist relation.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Pretty happy with how my Ti Ts'ang turned out. It is an incredibly goofy design given the clearly military aesthetic of most other mechs, but I like a bit of flair. Mine turned out to be a little too much like Shredder though.

As a slowly-becoming-not-touristy FWL player, this activates my neurons. I desire the purple disco ball with an axe.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 25, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I showed it to a friend who is a professional translator and without knowing anything about Battletech, he immediately caught the DiZang reference.

I suppose the hatchet is supposed to be a stand-in for the staff DiZang uses to force open the gates of heaven.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Gonna shove my staff into your face and open the heavens inside your cockpit

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

As a slowly-becoming-not-touristy FWL player, this activates my neurons. I desire the purple disco ball with an axe.

See, I paint a lot of my mechs purple and white just because I love (hate) the Minnesota Vikings.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Do you call your defensive front the purple people eaters?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
hmmm

what if jon bois watched solaris matches

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Azhais posted:

Do you call your defensive front the purple people eaters?

That's my dad's generation, but it'd be a great name for a lance or star of purple mechs.

My mechs are all cursed to miss a 38-yard shot on an immobile target.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm giving myself a double post for Christmas. Here's the Rabid Coyote I just finished (making it two mechs before breakfast!). Now my kid is up and it's time to open up the LAMs I got him.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Variable/Clan Pulse lasers are just too good.

It feels like every time I build a list, I always find myself gravitating towards pulses, since I can roll with a gunnery 4 pilot and save BV that way.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Painted up a couple of Stukas (We can all thank Pardoe for the name :hmmno:). These took over a week to finish despite the fact that their paintjobs weren't difficult, I just spent a lot of time waiting for paint and varnish layers to dry.

They each have their wingman reflected in their cockpit glass.

They look absolutely gigantic next to my Shilones.

But considering they're older than the Mackie, the scale doesn't actually feel off.

I picked cold war / F-86 Saber colors because I thought it helped sell how comparatively old they are. As of 3150, the Stuka is 620 years old.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 28, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

IWM's scale for fighters is pretty wild. I bought a Typhoon because it's the fighter of choice for my favorite Archon, and it is utterly dwarfed by the Shilone despite being 100T.

Meanwhile the Eisensturm has roughly the same footprint as a super heavy.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Aircraft tend to be a lot bigger than you think they are but I am excited for things in plastic mostly because they should at least be consistent even if they overhang the edges of bases.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

PoptartsNinja posted:

Painted up a couple of Stukas (We can all thank Pardoe for the name :hmmno:). These took over a week to finish despite the fact that their paintjobs weren't difficult, I just spent a lot of time waiting for paint and varnish layers to dry.

They each have their wingman reflected in their cockpit glass.

They look absolutely gigantic next to my Shilones.

But considering they're older than the Mackie, the scale doesn't actually feel off.

I picked cold war / F-86 Saber colors because I thought it helped sell how comparatively old they are. As of 3150, the Stuka is 620 years old.

These rule. I've not done anything with aerotech, but my kid is super obsessed with LAM designs so I might have to start brushing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

God drat I should not have told my cousin I gifted an IS Heavy Battle Lance to what the (8) next to his Cataphract’s movement meant. He used MASC absolutely recklessly and ruthlessly to outmaneuver my Stalker and got dang blew it up with an ammo crit, cutting off my escape route.

Only his second BT game ever. Proud of him