Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
As a recent ADHD med haver I’ll tell ya it doesn’t make me feel any less like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Just saw Godzilla Minus One and wow, this was the first Godzilla movie I have seen in theatres but it was awesome. I think it's the last day it's playing in the U.S. unless it got extended again. It's a return to Godzilla being the villain, which I admit I like when he's the hero fighting other bad Kaiju (King Ghidorah!! :argh:). Which, protip, the Pluto TV app now has a dedicated Godzilla channel and it's playing like 30+ of the movies in order. It seems to repeat every 4-5 days. And it's free. I still like Minilla even if he is useless and gets hit in the face with rocks. CGI looked great and his atomic breath was crazy.

There was a really weird plane in it called the Shinden ("Magnificent Lightning") which from a quick google search was real. It's notable because the propeller was in the back along with the wings. Really weird design, but I am not a plane guy.

(No spoilers but I bring up the themes of the movie) Strong themes of PTSD and survivor's guilt which might resonate with some people here. Also quite judgmental of the Japanese government. I had heard Shin Godzilla was like that as well but I still need to watch it.

And the music was on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvMCy0r-PiM

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wrong Theory posted:

Just saw Godzilla Minus One and wow, this was the first Godzilla movie I have seen in theatres but it was awesome. I think it's the last day it's playing in the U.S. unless it got extended again. It's a return to Godzilla being the villain, which I admit I like when he's the hero fighting other bad Kaiju (King Ghidorah!! :argh:). Which, protip, the Pluto TV app now has a dedicated Godzilla channel and it's playing like 30+ of the movies in order. It seems to repeat every 4-5 days. And it's free. I still like Minilla even if he is useless and gets hit in the face with rocks. CGI looked great and his atomic breath was crazy.

There was a really weird plane in it called the Shinden ("Magnificent Lightning") which from a quick google search was real. It's notable because the propeller was in the back along with the wings. Really weird design, but I am not a plane guy.

(No spoilers but I bring up the themes of the movie) Strong themes of PTSD and survivor's guilt which might resonate with some people here. Also quite judgmental of the Japanese government. I had heard Shin Godzilla was like that as well but I still need to watch it.

And the music was on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvMCy0r-PiM

They used a real cool plane and couldn’t be bothered to do the same for the tanks. Tots fake.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crab Dad posted:

They used a real cool plane and couldn’t be bothered to do the same for the tanks. Tots fake.

I kinda want to go back to 1950s/1960s Godzilla films with the toy tanks/planes.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
they gave me 10% for the stenosis, 0% for Cervical Radiculopathy of the Radial Nerve (right), and 0% for Cervical Radiculopathy of the Radial Nerve (left)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

McNally posted:

they gave me 10% for the stenosis, 0% for Cervical Radiculopathy of the Radial Nerve (right), and 0% for Cervical Radiculopathy of the Radial Nerve (left)

Was this lower than when you started? Seems not good...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
:mcnally:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Crab Dad posted:

Was this lower than when you started? Seems not good...

No, those conditions weren't considered service connected until I won my appeal and it's bump from 30% to 40%, but it's also a lot less than I expected.

I filed for a reevaluation because the last time I was examined was 2018 and they didn't check for range of motion limitations caused by the radiculopathy.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I may have been a little premature on the reevaluation because it looks like they're actually not done with it yet. Here's hoping for a healthy increase.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VA increase for 2024 is like $100/mo smdh, that is NOT keeping up with the cost of Ben and Jerry’s

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Covid vax and flu shot double team is a rough one for me, chaps.

Plan accordingly in case it's rough for you too.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

not caring here posted:

What’s even rougher is not getting either one of them. My friends and I all went to someone’s going away party last week and all of us got sick thereafter, but my wife and I had our flu shots and have managed to get through it in a few days whereas my friends that didn’t get their flu shots are all hurting pretty bad right now- fever, chills, aches, sore throat, cough, etc whereas we just had a sore throat, cough and night chills for two days.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

pantslesswithwolves posted:

What’s even rougher is not getting either one of them. My friends and I all went to someone’s going away party last week and all of us got sick thereafter, but my wife and I had our flu shots and have managed to get through it in a few days whereas my friends that didn’t get their flu shots are all hurting pretty bad right now- fever, chills, aches, sore throat, cough, etc whereas we just had a sore throat, cough and night chills for two days.

Yeah, I got COVID some months back, actually about a month after I got the latest updated COVID shot, and aside from the residual coughing for 3 weeks afterwards, I was over it in about 3 days. This is almost assuredly down to being up to date with my vaccinations re: COVID. Still had to take 10 days off from work since my office stuffs us in a cubicle farm, and I self-quarantined for those 10 days because I didn't want to spread it, but I felt OK on day 3.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

not caring here posted:

Anecdotally I did the same, booster 4/4 and woke up with pericarditis that night, zero issues with previous boosters/flu shots. Doctor told me it might have just been a massive immune response, might have been an aggravation of damage from actually having covid last year, or could be that I won the lottery this time and had the super rare reaction all on its own; too many factors to determine. I did get to talk with a nice CDC case worker after reporting the reaction. In hindsight I could have spaced them out a few days and it's probably smart to do so if you can, IANAD YMMV.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

not caring here posted:

I got both and barely felt mine, <24 hours of some aches and feeling a little tired. My old roommate was down for multiple days feeling awful though.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Gotta tell you guys, stew is so loving delicious as leftovers. It just gets better and better the more it melds together

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nick Soapdish posted:

Gotta tell you guys, stew is so loving delicious as leftovers. It just gets better and better the more it melds together

:yeah:

Passed my CCNA exam this morning, :feelsgood:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Handsome Ralph posted:

hells yes

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Amazing news! Congratulations!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Handsome Ralph posted:

hell yeah

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Handsome Ralph posted:

Congrats. On a scale of 1-10 how would you say it compared to Net+?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I'd say a Net+ if you've been doing any kind of IT work is like a 4, maybe a 5 so long as you're actively studying for it. CCNA was easily a 7 or 8 in comparison.

It'd have easily been a ten had I not taken the Net+ earlier this year. I know some people poo poo on Net+ because it's "easy" :jerkbag: or whatever, but honestly, it really helped me go into the CCNA with a strong foundation. It was worth getting that cert done first because of that, at least for me.

Also Net+ was pretty basic with subnetting, I think I only had to subnet from /24 and up for that exam. Cisco expects you to be able to subnet all 32 octets. But once it clicks, it's stupid easy to do. IPV6 is really the one part I hated the most, everything else was pretty straightforward.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah your CCNA is gonna ask you to do a bunch of basic routing and doing moderate difficulty subnetting by hand.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Congrats you are more eligible for my job than me. Get out there and network with humans now and get payed!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Are there regular hours it jobs or am I going to spend the rest of my life waiting for old-timers to cross the rainbow bridge just to get a normal 9-5 shift

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

Are there regular hours it jobs or am I going to spend the rest of my life waiting for old-timers to cross the rainbow bridge just to get a normal 9-5 shift

Plenty of 9-5s, if you are doing network support you may end up doing on call schedules however.

I haven't done networking as my day job in years, mostly Cybersecurity now.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I miss caring about anything tbh but I think I hate IT after the army tbh

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'd say a Net+ if you've been doing any kind of IT work is like a 4, maybe a 5 so long as you're actively studying for it. CCNA was easily a 7 or 8 in comparison.

It'd have easily been a ten had I not taken the Net+ earlier this year. I know some people poo poo on Net+ because it's "easy" :jerkbag: or whatever, but honestly, it really helped me go into the CCNA with a strong foundation. It was worth getting that cert done first because of that, at least for me.

Also Net+ was pretty basic with subnetting, I think I only had to subnet from /24 and up for that exam. Cisco expects you to be able to subnet all 32 octets. But once it clicks, it's stupid easy to do. IPV6 is really the one part I hated the most, everything else was pretty straightforward.

net+ was honestly easier than a+ for me because i didnt have to remember the characteristics of every networking protocol since the 50s

why the gently caress did i have to learn LANMAN

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
loving IPv6, I can subnet IPv4 and work out masks in my head without even using my fingers but 6 is all gibberish.

I also LIKE having NAT so my internal network is obscured to the outside.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
I don't think it's underrated but I feel like it doesn't get brought up much for the holidays, Muppets Christmas Carol is such a good movie. Happy holidays goons!

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Wrong Theory posted:

I don't think it's underrated but I feel like it doesn't get brought up much for the holidays, Muppets Christmas Carol is such a good movie. Happy holidays goons!

My favorite version of that story is the Muppets Christmas Carol.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Muppets Christmas Carol is the best one

Wife loves that creepy rear end Jim Carrey one tho

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Became a parent on Christmas

If you are gonna come three weeks early at least she had the good sense to wait until after midnight

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Naramyth posted:

If you are gonna come three weeks early at least she had the good sense to wait until after midnight

Congrats on your sensible money saving baby! Combined gifts!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Congrats, and merry crisis, er, Christmas fellow GIP'ers.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Crab Dad posted:

Congrats on your sensible money saving baby! Combined gifts!

That's not the correct way. My nephew is a Christmas baby and we make sure to have two separate gifts and a party later in the week. It's just mean to the poor kid to cheat them out of a holiday.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
You're missing out on an excellent opportunity to teach from a very young age that life is unfair.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Naramyth posted:

Now all you need is to name your daughter something like Holly and raise her on a Christmas tree farm so she has the backstory for 3/4 of the Hallmark Christmas movies.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Hekk posted:

Now all you need is to name your daughter something like Holly and raise her on a Christmas tree farm so she has the backstory for 3/4 of the Hallmark Christmas movies.

Holly is a *past name* that is off the table but what a good bit

Christie is also a no go

We’ll have to Santa’s workshop the name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

You're missing out on an excellent opportunity to teach from a very young age that life is unfair.

Sometimes the cheapest lessons are the most memorable.