Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

floffytoffy
Mar 10, 2007

a cat am I

Cabbages and Kings posted:

That's a weird loving change, whatever the cause, and makes me think that when I'm looking at poo poo in the distance my right eye is doing most of the work, and vice versa, which probably is not a good thing to be doing to my brain

FWIW, I've had monovision all my life (one eye sees better in the distance and one eye sees better up close) and it hasn't done anything weird to my brain. Optometrist regarded it more as a curiosity than anything else, but it's not all that uncommon. Definitely still see an eye doctor, and I hope your issues can be resolved with minimal stress, but hopefully that's one less thing to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

shazbot posted:

what tools do we have left? expired rapid tests? $1500 paxlovid?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

if you've never seen whatever cape movie this is from, what is it saying

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
one superhero still standing against the bad guy when everyone else got beat

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

I just tried to fill a test2treat pax script at Walmart pharmacy in wisconsin, and it is now $1500 and my insurance policy seems to be they will only fill once every 300 days

I thought it was free through the end of the year FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

icantfindaname posted:

I just tried to fill a test2treat pax script at Walmart pharmacy in wisconsin, and it is now $1500 and my insurance policy seems to be they will only fill once every 300 days
rip... good while it lasted. the only country where it was so easy to get.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

tangy yet delightful posted:

was thinking of falling ill before the new year...

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Every 300 days lmao

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
As Platystemon recommended to me yesterday, try sending test2treat prescriptions to CVS if you have one near you (call them ahead of time to be sure though - I was caught off guard by the December 15th cutoff too, I'm glad I called around before submitting). Certain pharmacy chains have dumped their free Pax faster than others. There still might be some hope.

Test2treat will still mail to your address for free, for what it's worth, but I get why that's not an option for everyone trying right now.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Strep Vote posted:

Every 300 days lmao

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Strep Vote posted:

Every 300 days lmao

Every five years you may have pax twice a year, its like extra if you really think about it

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Clutching my shopping bags full of Pax like they're Iraqi dinars

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

this xmas I am thankful that COVID bimbofied my wife.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Cool, my 70-something COPD-having mom tested positive for COVID today, hopefully her pulmonologist will respond to her message soon while she can still benefit from Pax. There really isn't a worse day for this to happen.

Merry Christmas!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Strep Vote posted:

Every 300 days lmao

COVID’s gonna be real disappointed when I tell them the insurance company will only let us meet once a year

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

ajkalan posted:

Cool, my 70-something COPD-having mom tested positive for COVID today, hopefully her pulmonologist will respond to her message soon while she can still benefit from Pax. There really isn't a worse day for this to happen.

Merry Christmas!

That really sucks, best of luck to your mother :sympathy:

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

ajkalan posted:

Merry Christmas!

While you're waiting for the pulmonologist to respond, you might want to try https://www.test2treat.org. They're still mailing out free Paxlovid for free overnight. There's health screening on there and you can talk to a doctor too. That way at the very least once you hear from the pulmonologist you'll already have Paxlovid on hand instead of losing time having to then go out and get it. (Then you can always fill the pulmonologist's prescription too for a possible future infection.) Good luck, I'm sorry your mom got infected. edit - obviously in no way suggesting she should just take Paxlovid without the approval of her doctor

Why Am I So Tired has issued a correction as of 03:31 on Dec 25, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Seventy‐year‐old women are very commonly on interacting prescription medications, and a doctor will need to work this out.

Good luck doing that on Christmas.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Lpzie posted:

this xmas I am thankful that COVID bimbofied my wife.

brain fog satisfies the dumb part of 'young dumb and full of cum'

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Why Am I So Tired posted:

While you're waiting for the pulmonologist to respond, you might want to try https://www.test2treat.org. They're still mailing out free Paxlovid for free overnight. There's health screening on there and you can talk to a doctor too. That way at the very least once you hear from the pulmonologist you'll already have Paxlovid on hand instead of losing time having to then go out and get it. (Then you can always fill the pulmonologist's prescription too for a possible future infection.) Good luck, I'm sorry your mom got infected.

Pingui posted:

That really sucks, best of luck to your mother :sympathy:

Thanks. She says she got a call back from a nurse on staff and they're waiting for doctor approval. He's very attentive according to her and I'd imagine that should be filled by tomorrow, if not late tonight. If not, I have a picture of her positive test and can get a prescription filled with one of the online services. She's well within the 5-day window, so one night of waiting should be okay. Here's to hoping that there's something left of her booster shot from 2.5 months ago.

Platystemon posted:

a doctor will need to work this out.

But yes, also this. I know poo poo about medicine interactions and my dad isn't any more of an expert, so I'm hoping the doctor comes through.

ajkalan has issued a correction as of 03:30 on Dec 25, 2023

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Merry Christmas, thread friends. I hope you all stay safe over the holidays and in the new year.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

PoundSand posted:

I can somewhat understand doing this if you're staying home as a couple or single but what family get togethers simply must go to applebees for the holidays? What are you bringing the family together for if not a feast? And there's always infinity leftovers. If no one wants to cook most grocery places offer like a holiday special anyways.

Quick lets have everyone drive 5 hours to grandma's place so we can go to golden corral?
I think for people who celebrate Christmas, Applebee’s is usually on December 23, 26, etc., when the hosts are absolutely sick of shopping and cooking elaborate meals and cleaning and wrapping. Obviously no Applebeeing here but we did demolish a ton of Chinese takeout on the 23rd

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

icantfindaname posted:

yep. going to bowl in an n95 on the 27th, for instance

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Well merry Christmas, new Covid detection tool just dropped.
SleepCycle app releases ‘Cough Radar.’

quote:

This new addition provides users with elevated average cough statistics in their area.

The Cough Radar feature is designed to tap into the power of data and community-driven insights. Users can now access information about the prevalence of coughs in their vicinity, offering a unique perspective on the health landscape around them. This feature goes beyond traditional sleep tracking, incorporating an element of community health awareness that can prove invaluable in various scenarios.

Sleep Cycle’s Cough Radar utilizes a combination of sound analysis data, machine learning algorithms, and geolocation information to compile comprehensive statistics on cough occurrences. The app collects information from users who choose to participate, creating a dynamic and up-to-date representation of elevated cough activity in different regions.

Only for premium subscribers, but the maps are… interesting. It only started on the 12th so only has two weeks of data, but uh… not looking promising.

Interestingly enough, they noticed this back during the omicron wave of 2022 in their data:

quote:

Many of our users are familiar with Sleep Cycle’s sound-detection sleep tracking feature. To many, the ability to listen to the recordings of their sleep sounds is a powerful way to better understand their sleep. Users choose themselves whether they want to opt in to share this data.
The patented algorithm that powers the sleep-detection feature has also made it possible to analyze the coughing frequency during sleep in 100,000s of American users during November last year.
Mike Gradisar and Daniel Sääf, Sleep Cycle’s Head of Sleep Science and Data Scientist, respectively, took a closer look at this sleep data and saw a possible correlation with the Omicron outbreak that occurred in 2021-22.

By correlating coughing with confirmed Omicron outbreaks in the United States, a direct link was found that revealed the coughing outbreaks occurred long before they were recorded in official statistics.

It’s interesting to note that there’s a remarkable likeness between Sleep Cycle’s coughing data – and a country’s confirmed cases of the Omicron variant. The app is able to calculate the number of coughs per hour for each person – and collate these for a country. Each day. This culminates in data that can show ‘coughing curves’. Below is a graph comparing Sleep Cycle coughing data and confirmed Omicron cases in the United States.

Yet it’s not only the shape of the coughing curves that is of interest, but also the timing of the peaks. Overall, it appears that there is ~ 2 weeks between the peak of Sleep Cycle’s coughing data (peak of the red curve) and the peak of confirmed cases (blue curve). Sleep Cycle’s coughing data also accelerated prior to each peak (visible in the orange arrow).

You have to give it a night of data before it allows you to use it, my daughter showed me it on her app. You can zoom in on various cities all over the world and watch the heat map dance around from blue to red.
https://vimeo.com/898937931
There’s uh… a lotta red. You can watch it spread around a city, flare and fade then flare up again, kind of nuts.

If you already have premier on the app, feel free to try it out.

Oracle has issued a correction as of 20:50 on Dec 31, 2023

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i was poking around, looking for covid genomic data, and found this oddly festive website

:coronatoot::covidtree:https://covariants.org/ :covidtree::coronatoot:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Merry Christmas
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HCJBr7VER8s

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol also featuring Ashish Jha giving the thumbs up on cutting vaccine doses in half

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boM5okO7q-U

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

tangy yet delightful posted:

First thing tuesday I’m going to go to other pharmacies and try to fill it, hopefully there’s still one with old stock

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

https://www.cleanairkits.com/blogs/news/how-can-merv13-filters-outperform-hepa-as-room-particulate-purifiers

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Christmas dinner 2023 with the family completed and it went off without a hitch. They asked without prompting if I wanted a separate setting for my food outside, looks like they've finally accepted that this is how it's gonna be. No one mentioned my mask at all.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

U-DO Burger posted:

i was poking around, looking for covid genomic data, and found this oddly festive website

:coronatoot::covidtree:https://covariants.org/ :covidtree::coronatoot:

I reckon that when you do a variant tracking site during the "everything is Omicron" era of the pandemic, the cracks and pings come at you at the pace of 6-7 times annually.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals. Hope you all stay safe, warm, and happy.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Merry Christmas to all, and especially to the norovirus that cancelled this mornings gift exchange

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

fosborb posted:

Merry Christmas to all, and especially to the norovirus that cancelled this mornings gift exchange

norovirus is airborne. Good call.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Merry Christmas, disease-existence rememberers.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Slept in (depression) and went to see my gf when I woke up and she was crying because she doesn't want to go to her family because she'd feel "guilty." I get to feel bad no matter what, hell yeahhhh (I told her I wasn't going to go a few days ago)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

big cummers ONLY posted:

Slept in (depression) and went to see my gf when I woke up and she was crying because she doesn't want to go to her family because she'd feel "guilty." I get to feel bad no matter what, hell yeahhhh (I told her I wasn't going to go a few days ago)

The only advice I can give is to not accept responsibility for the pandemic and what I mean by that is that the guilt isn't the issue. The issue is there is a pandemic going on, which causes the need to wear a mask, which she is being pressured not to do. The root of the anxiety is the pandemic and not you two fighting.

As I understand your position: you two are both of a common understanding about the ongoing pandemic. So in your position I would suggest she does what she wants to do, don't guilt her out of going and then do damage control which you agree to beforehand. I suspect you are set up as an emotional representation of the downside of the pandemic and you should not accept that position. The pandemic is the problem, you are trying to keep you both safe in an unsafe world.

I don't know if that makes sense from your perspective, but I hope it helps :)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Pingui posted:

The only advice I can give is to not accept responsibility for the pandemic and what I mean by that is that the guilt isn't the issue. The issue is there is a pandemic going on, which causes the need to wear a mask, which she is being pressured not to do. The root of the anxiety is the pandemic and not you two fighting.

As I understand your position: you two are both of a common understanding about the ongoing pandemic. So in your position I would suggest she does what she wants to do, don't guilt her out of going and then do damage control which you agree to beforehand. I suspect you are set up as an emotional representation of the downside of the pandemic and you should not accept that position. The pandemic is the problem, you are trying to keep you both safe in an unsafe world.

We understand that logic but nobody on the other end of it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Pingui posted:

I greatly appreciate you post, to a degree that is difficult to express. You are exactly right about our situation and how we understand each other. But reaching that understanding, as difficult as it is, is still much easier for her than living that reality. I can isolate relatively easily since growing up with my parents basically meant isolation, but her family is good and loves her (and also, unconsciously, is deeply rooted in Catholic guilt and passive-aggression) and she just doesn't have the tools to deal with that. It is the kind of situation where we are both just going to feel terrible no matter what - all for the unconscionable sin of paying attention to reality. I should have fallen in love with someone as disconnected from their family as I am. I really hosed up on that one

Thank you Ping and everyone else in the thread who posts in earnest and provides emotional support for strangers