Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

H13 posted:

oh yeah totally I expect to see everybody with a gun doing 360 no scope headshots, multiple headshots with the same bullet in SUPER slow motion and lens flare like it's some sort of Snyd-oh wait...

The issue that I'm raising is that the plot armour was visible and the action wasn't believable.

The plot armor was visible because...people on both sides missed their shots?

First people complain about armies needing to be fed, now it's a bad movie because the bad guys don't just immediately headshot the protagonists? Really breaking new ground in braindead poo poo to complain about.

Like there are other actually valid complaints to make, about the editing of the fight scenes, the pacing of the last act in particular, how the cut content makes the character seem flimsier, but no, instead we get "but why does an army need grain" and "why don't the bad guys simply aim better" :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This was the sort of discourse I was waiting for tbh. I missed it. It's very funny.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
This was one of the dumbest loving movies I have ever seen. I don't know how we were supposed to form an attachment to any character when they were given 30 seconds of screen time in a vignette team building sequence. Every set is minuscule with clear foreground cgi, background cgi, or both. The dialog was a joke. The costume design ranged from what could have been cool (weirdo space Catholics) to hilariously bad (button down shirt black tie nazi). Every character was an [occupation][ethnicity][twist]. Characters are just forgotten about (the soldier who feels bad about being a space nazi). Nothing links the scenes together (CUT TO SPACESHIP + PLANET NAME). The ultimate villain is just a sad dad with a beard. Cinematography was non-existent.

Sometimes I read books that make me think I should just publish the drivel I write because I'm certain it's better than what I just read. This is the first time I've seen a movie that made me think I, with no experience, could produce a better movie than what I just watched.

loving throw $300 million dollars at Guillermo Del Toro. Imagine what that dude would do. Ridley Scott. Denis Villeneuve. Nolan. Cameron. loving Neill Blomkamp. Luc Besson.

I would rather watch Uwe Boll's magnum opus than drink Zack Snyder's movie piss.

Schwarzwald posted:

It's not that these complaints are necessarily invalid (*cough*) but, like, have you watched any other scifi adventure films at all?

Blade Runner 2049, Interstellar, Arrival, Alita, Avatar, Westworld, Annihilation, Attack the Block, A Quiet Place, Dredd, Under the Skin, Pacific Rim, Snowpiercer, god drat Wall-e, Primer, Edge of Tomorrow.

You can throw a stone and hit a scifi movie/tv show that has, at minimum, redeeming qualities. This was loving dog poo poo.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Those guys already get large budgets to make movies.

One of them is also a pedophile.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Roth posted:

Those guys already get large budgets to make movies.

One of them is also a pedophile.

Which one? Kind of useless to take the moral high ground then not give useful information to people who don't want to support horrible people.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Benson Cunningham posted:

Which one? Kind of useless to take the moral high ground then not give useful information to people who don't want to support horrible people.

Luc Besson which I had thought was already common knowledge

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lol I just noticed the "I could make a movie better than this" good luck dude I'm rooting for ya

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Roth posted:

Luc Besson which I had thought was already common knowledge

It is not. That's depressing. Now I can't watch the Fifth Element anymore.

Roth posted:

Lol I just noticed the "I could make a movie better than this" good luck dude I'm rooting for ya

I mean, calling this a movie is a gift.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh good lord talk about strawman.

Look, I can't believe I need to explain it to this level, but if I'm being straw-manned like this...

There's this concept in cinema called suspension of disbelief

In other words, while watching a movie, you need to be willing to go against your own understanding of reality to an extent in order to willingly immerse yourself in the movie.

If you stop to think about it, you KNOW mechanically that the main character isn't gonna die in that opening 15 minutes (unless you're Alfred Hitchcock casting Janet Leigh), but in order for that poo poo to land and be good to watch, the movie needs to immerse you and be believable enough that you can shut your brain up for 30 seconds and go along with the ride and be worried about our main character.

It's a bit like being on a roller-coaster isn't it? You KNOW the ride is safe and that you're not going to get hurt, but the illusion of danger makes it great fun.

ERGO:

In Rebel Moon, the action sequences featured combat whereby it looked like the bad guys, were letting the good guys beat them up. It also looked like everybody had very bad aim until the movie needed them to land a shot.

This is true of literally any action sequence ever (hence the phrase choreography) but the secret to making an action sequence engaging is creating an action sequence, whereby the audience is able to suspend their disbelief, be immersed in the film, forget they're watching a movie, and instead believe in the illusion that our main characters are in danger. In other words, when the plot armour is visible due to obvious\bad choreography or sequences, the tension and excitement in the scene immediately disappears and makes said action sequences significantly less entertaining to watch.

So to spell it out to y'all:

Rebel Moon had action sequences which due to poor choreography and sequencing, were not believable. As a result you never felt like the characters were in any legitimate danger and therefore was less entertaining.

AKA: Yes, it's possible for everybody in your movie to have terrible aim or for two fighters (one of which has a significant physical advantage over the other) to get into a fight, but still create believable and engaging action scenes. Rebel Moon was not it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's weird because it's called "suspending your disbelief", which implies it's something you the viewer do. But then the rest of the post describes how it's something the movie, an inanimate object, has to do by means of "choreography". So where does this suspension happen? In the viewer or in the movie?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Benson Cunningham posted:

It is not. That's depressing. Now I can't watch the Fifth Element anymore.

I mean, calling this a movie is a gift.

Please post some of your writing

Roth posted:

Did someone post this thread to Twitter? The poster can both make a better novel and movie if he wanted. They are just busy you know.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

teagone posted:

This was the sort of discourse I was waiting for tbh. I missed it. It's very funny.

What surprises me most so far is what isn't getting complained about. For example, the quaint village that's being robbed of its grain are basically Space Amish, and while they're welcoming of Kora, they aren't just willing to let her live there and help out. They want her to join their community and that entails marrying of their own and explicitly producing children, which Kora is clearly unhappy with.

And that's interesting, but it's also uncomfortable and icky and problematic. There's poo poo to talk about!

But instead we have page long rants about how its bad because people eat grain or miss their shots in a bar fight or because that admiral nazi dresses like a middle manager (???).

The film deserves better haters.

edit: put in spoiler tags

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 25, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
How big someone is or how much training they have (the fictional character "they", at that) isn't a function of "choreography." There's no reason to conflate the two, unless, of course, you're trying to back down from the former because you've realized it's not a winning argument.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

What surprises me most so far is what isn't getting complained about. Like, the quaint village that's being robbed of its grain are basically Space Amish, and while they're welcoming of Kora, they aren't just willing to let her live their and help out. They want her to join their community and that entails marrying of their own and explicitly producing children, which Kora is clearly unhappy with.

Veldt being this sort of horny hippy commune whose nourshing and fertile land makes everyone buff and hot is a very Zack Snyder concept.

quote:

[...] because it's bad that admiral nazi dresses like a middle manager (???).

It's been mentioned elsewhere, but you know who also wore a sci-fi tie?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

What surprises me most so far is what isn't getting complained about. For example, the quaint village that's being robbed of its grain are basically Space Amish, and while they're welcoming of Kora, they aren't just willing to let her live their and help out. They want her to join their community and that entails marrying of their own and explicitly producing children, which Kora is clearly unhappy with.

And that's interesting, but it's also uncomfortable and icky and problematic. There's poo poo to talk about!

But instead we have page long rants about how its bad because people eat grain, or miss their shots in a bar fight or because that admiral nazi dresses like a middle manager (???).

Yeah, I'm curious to see if the director's cut addresses this. But I also think it's a nice twist in the idyllic village under siege by the villains where that village is kind of a hetero-normative place where a requirement for really joining it is marriage and rearing children. It falls neatly into Snyder's wheelhouse of everything not being so squeaky-clean.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Schwarzwald posted:

What surprises me most so far is what isn't getting complained about. For example, the quaint village that's being robbed of its grain are basically Space Amish, and while they're welcoming of Kora, they aren't just willing to let her live their and help out. They want her to join their community and that entails marrying of their own and explicitly producing children, which Kora is clearly unhappy with.

But instead we have page long rants about how its bad because people eat grain, or miss their shots in a bar fight or because that admiral nazi dresses like a middle manager (???).

The Motherworld gave Kora a job of authority. She was a commander and traveled to various worlds. On Veldt, she would have to be a mother as you stated and likely never leave.

Interestingly, there seemed to be only male soldiers under Noble where as the slain king had all genders in his conquering army.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jimbot posted:

But I also think it's a nice twist in the idyllic village under siege by the villains where that village is kind of a hetero-normative place where a requirement for really joining it is marriage and rearing children.

The concept sorta runs parellel to the imperium encouraging soldiers to find a lover among their ranks to have someone to fight for and defend instead of questioning whether they're the baddies or not lol.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, I'm curious to see if the director's cut addresses this. But I also think it's a nice twist in the idyllic village under siege by the villains where that village is kind of a hetero-normative place where a requirement for really joining it is marriage and rearing children. It falls neatly into Snyder's wheelhouse of everything not being so squeaky-clean.

checkplease posted:

The Motherworld gave Kora a job of authority. She was a commander and traveled to various worlds. On Veldt, she would have to be a mother as you stated and likely never leave.

Interestingly, there seemed to be only male soldiers under Noble where as the slain king had all genders in his conquering army.

Notably, the outskirts aren't untouched by the Motherworld; they were conquered and integrated once and now they're getting ideas. The village's cozy little fertility cult isn't that far off from the Imperial worship of a mythical life-giving queen, either.

The movie puts a lot of emphasis on ideology and what motivates people to fight. Getting back to the question of training, one of the things we learn about the Motherworld's military is that even under the old king (who seemingly had a much stronger claim to ideological loyalty than Belisarius does) they didn't rely on loyalty to the cause alone to motivate their elite troops; they encouraged them to find a lover among their peers so they'd be motivated to protect that person, to have something immediate and concrete to make them fight. The one explicit example we see of this kind of relationship is heterosexual.

Now, look at the jarhead assholes who attack the village: as checkplease notes, they're all men. They might all be gay, but if they are they're awfully keen to prove to each other how het they are. More likely, the system described above has either broken down or simply never applied to them. Noble also literally gives a speech on his theory of management: he prefers fear to either ideological or community bonds.

e: conversely, most of the heroes are motivated by a sense of obligation; Kora is guilt-tripped into staying, she pulls the same trick on Darrian, Tarak's there out of a sense of honor, Den's survival is on the line but also it was his fuckup that made things as bad as they are, and Titus and Nemesis are doing it for people who died under their leadership or protection.

e2: which given Snyder's Superman trilogy, his approach to Rorschach, the heroism of an artist willing to die for their art in Army of Thieves, the ending of Sucker Punch, etc. probably isn't good enough! i suspect Anthony Hopkins robot is going to show up in part 2 to push them towards a more durable reason to fight together than just guilt and a common enemy.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 25, 2023

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CelticPredator posted:

It was part of the plan

I know I'm just slandering Netflix

Like it's almost a stereotype of a bad studio mandate to produce an r rated 4 hr film, then cut it in half and sanitize it for the tween rating

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Have not seen the movie but this thread is exactly what I was hoping for

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
y is the film called rebel moon when the people are rebelling not the moon, big mistake from zack s, film bad

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

“you know those dangerous Snyder Bros you keep hearing about on the news…”

(makes shitpost belittling your complaint about slow motion)

“…I’m the worst one :unsmigghh:

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Jimbot posted:

I liked it and I thought there was a lack of impact too but that's them cutting around the violence, goodness knows why. I'm sure when the R (R for real) cut comes out I'll go "oh, that's why".

Oh, wow. I read about the different cuts but didn't realize they would be different ratings. Admittedly the lack of 'oomph' was only several instances, but once I noticed it I kept looking for it. Which ruined the fight scenes for me.

That's kind of funny, since I'm a contrarian idiot and a bit of a Snyder fan. I was looking for reasons to like this movie since it was getting panned so heavily. I can say I thought it was very okay for the first 30 minutes or so.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

We’re worse bitch

thats right

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
This reminded me a lot of Rogue One. Both the females leads are charismatic black holes and the only interesting character was a robot.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

y is the film called rebel moon when the people are rebelling not the moon, big mistake from zack s, film bad
In the R rated cut the rebels are all going to moon the bad guys

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"Broke suspension of belief", much like "unlikeable characters", is a nothing phrase that basically says "I'm unable to articulate what I actually disliked about this movie" and so ends up with a brain dropping take.

That, and the numbskulls posting breathlessly from 2004's School of Hyperventilating Hyperbole about the cinematic diarrhea that made them wash their eyeballs with bleach and then set them on fire, are just so drat disappointing. Y'all spent time typing up boring and basic uninteresting critical snoozers and then get pissed when everybody doesn't stand up and clap. I have no doubt y'all hated the movie but I wish I could get some actual perspective instead of this Reddit poo poo.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Notably, the outskirts aren't untouched by the Motherworld; they were conquered and integrated once and now they're getting ideas. The village's cozy little fertility cult isn't that far off from the Imperial worship of a mythical life-giving queen, either.

The movie puts a lot of emphasis on ideology and what motivates people to fight. Getting back to the question of training, one of the things we learn about the Motherworld's military is that even under the old king (who seemingly had a much stronger claim to ideological loyalty than Belisarius does) they didn't rely on loyalty to the cause alone to motivate their elite troops; they encouraged them to find a lover among their peers so they'd be motivated to protect that person, to have something immediate and concrete to make them fight. The one explicit example we see of this kind of relationship is heterosexual.

Now, look at the jarhead assholes who attack the village: as checkplease notes, they're all men. They might all be gay, but if they are they're awfully keen to prove to each other how het they are. More likely, the system described above has either broken down or simply never applied to them. Noble also literally gives a speech on his theory of management: he prefers fear to either ideological or community bonds.

e: conversely, most of the heroes are motivated by a sense of obligation; Kora is guilt-tripped into staying, she pulls the same trick on Darrian, Tarak's there out of a sense of honor, Den's survival is on the line but also it was his fuckup that made things as bad as they are, and Titus and Nemesis are doing it for people who died under their leadership or protection.

e2: which given Snyder's Superman trilogy, his approach to Rorschach, the heroism of an artist willing to die for their art in Army of Thieves, the ending of Sucker Punch, etc. probably isn't good enough! i suspect Anthony Hopkins robot is going to show up in part 2 to push them towards a more durable reason to fight together than just guilt and a common enemy.

Right the whole fight to protect your lover aspect seems to show that just pushing the glory of the king or some other impersonal ideal was no longer enough after years of conquering. With the king dead, it seems like Nobles crew is mostly fighting for their own sadistic pleasures with the exception of the one nice kid. Maybe he just needs a job.

It seems like all of team Kora were wronged by the Motherworld in some way. But that’s also shown to be true for just about everyone, including Kai and the Spider lady who both act differently. So a universal hatred of the Motherworld as you stated won’t be enough for a final reason to fight.

If the king and his family didn’t die and the daughter took over and tried to bring peace, would others like Noble even listen to this?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
this was a deeply cynical movie, which makes sense considering the director

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Martman posted:

In the R rated cut the rebels are all going to moon the bad guys

Worth waiting for

Wonder if encouraging romance among the imperial army is meant to reference the Sacred Band of Thebes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Farg posted:

this was a deeply cynical movie, which makes sense considering the director

In what way?

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I have no doubt y'all hated the movie but I wish I could get some actual perspective instead of this Reddit poo poo.

Aight.
  • As someone said previously, the sets are tiny and the close focus/heavy CGI use makes everything feel small and fake.
  • The set and costume design in general is way too clean. Looks like a 90s video game trying to not overuse memory on textures.
  • The fight scenes are loving anemic. There is no speed, weight or intensity in them, just slow motion being used for stuff that doesn't add anything.
  • The dialogue is painful and just pure exposition, outside of Admiral Nazi doing some menacing. At no point do you feel like these are actual people that may have actually spoken to each other at some point.
  • All the 'influences' are just copy pasted in without any real world-building to make them interesting or put a unique spin on the idea.

And that's before you get to the stupidity of moments like when Kora is freed by Gunnar at the end and instead of running as the 50 guns trained on her immediately open up, she stands still and stares them all down for three seconds, before it goes in to more slow-mo as they all inexplicably miss.

I know I know, complaining that the stormtroopers miss all the shots etc, but like, at no point do you think there are any stakes here or believe the world or the people in it - so it's all rather dull.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Thank you. That is an actual-rear end review and I appreciate it.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

glasnost toyboy posted:

Aight.
  • As someone said previously, the sets are tiny and the close focus/heavy CGI use makes everything feel small and fake.
  • The set and costume design in general is way too clean. Looks like a 90s video game trying to not overuse memory on textures.
  • The fight scenes are loving anemic. There is no speed, weight or intensity in them, just slow motion being used for stuff that doesn't add anything.
  • The dialogue is painful and just pure exposition, outside of Admiral Nazi doing some menacing. At no point do you feel like these are actual people that may have actually spoken to each other at some point.
  • All the 'influences' are just copy pasted in without any real world-building to make them interesting or put a unique spin on the idea.

And that's before you get to the stupidity of moments like when Kora is freed by Gunnar at the end and instead of running as the 50 guns trained on her immediately open up, she stands still and stares them all down for three seconds, before it goes in to more slow-mo as they all inexplicably miss.

I know I know, complaining that the stormtroopers miss all the shots etc, but like, at no point do you think there are any stakes here or believe the world or the people in it - so it's all rather dull.

Also, Charlie Hunnam is pointlessly Northern Irish. I can except that the accent isn't good because it's space and it does't need to be, but he's missing the witt that makes the accent charming

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That is his real accent.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I just finished it and I didn't really dig it. It felt like there were some seeds of things that could've been interesting, but they were all just brief set dressing (like the jellyfish parasite thing) that ultimately didn't actually matter to the plot. I can appreciate a big, dumb, popcorn action flick, but this just felt so dull and hollow.

The biggest failing, I think, is that for a first half of a movie in a new IP, there's just really no investment in making the audience care about any of the characters, which should have been the top priority. Kora is flat and stoic, and her backstory is something that we've seen plenty of times before.

The bulk of the movie repeats the same structure over and over -

- We arrive on a new nondescript planet
- Brief introduction to a new character and why they hate they Motherland
- Action sequence where everyone else watches on, occasionally looking concerned

Once characters are added to the party roster, they're just kinda there in the background, occasionally providing reaction shots from the sidelines. For a 2+ hour movie, they didn't spend any time on interactions between the members of this new crew, so none of them appear to develop any sort of meaningful relationships. It really wouldn't have taken much, either; you can do a ton with some brief conversations. It would've been nice to give things a moment to breath in between the planet-hopping. Just shave down some of the gratuitous slow-mo and you'd have plenty of time for it.

The only real relationship is between Kora and Gunnar, and most of their interactions are either Gunnar telling Kora that her next plan is crazy, or Kora doing trauma-dumping exposition at him. Kora only has the briefest moment of engagement with Kai right before the betrayal, so when he finally does turn against the team, it doesn't carry nearly as much dramatic weight has it should have.

I also had a bit of an issue with the use of the old homophobic trope of an old, physically revolting gay character being a sexual predator in the vein of Baron Harkonnen, and the attempted gang rape also felt pretty unnecessary and came off like a cheap attempt to make things feel edgier. I'm probably going to be very unwilling to give the R-rated cut a shot if it adds to the sexual violence.

Maybe the director's cut will add some more depth to the story, but I just don't really feel inclined to invest more time into this world at this point unless it completely revamps the experience.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I think there's something to be said for just throwing in stuff like parasite jellyfish and weird aliens as a means of fleshing out a setting. Not everything has to be relevant to the plot. Regarding Gunnar, I thought it was kind of funny how he was a sort of damsel in distress while Kora was constantly bailing him out, it was a fun role reversal from how the tropes usually go.

In regards to the soldiers attempted sexual assault, I see it more as one part of a larger theme, where the motherworlds corrosive influence leads to all sorts of abuse and suffering. Sword-lady lost her kids, spider-lady got poisoned by the toxic mining industry that served the motherworld and lost her children as well, leading her to lash out, Kora got kidnapped and indoctrinated into the same war machine that slaughtered her world etc, it's just one of the many ways the evil empire is making life terrible for everyone, even those not directly in the warzone. The cruelty is part of the point.

If it makes you feel better, the r-rated version will not be adding to the sexual violence, only the regular bloody kind. It'll be an hour longer and from what I've gathered it will be spending more time delving into the story of the supporting cast, and i think that will deal with the biggest issue most people had with the movie in that it will flesh out the characters we don't get to spend much time with after the introductory sequence.

Anyway great post, disco

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That is his real accent.

Omfg that’s priceless if true

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Kora's gun is literally an antique. A lot of the armor and weapons everyone in the movie uses is covered in intricate carvings, like it's ceremonial wear that was never really intended to be used in war. The technicians in this setting double as priests. The Motherworld's military, at least so far as we've been exposed to it, is undisciplined at best -- as illustrated not only by the brutish would-be rapists, but also by the teenage boy who clearly hasn't been very effectively propagandized.

There are definitely some things I'm dissatisfied with the way the movie portrays violence -- as someone pointed out earlier it constantly cuts away from the impact of blows too early, probably due to some combination of wanting to maintain a PG-13 rating and the actors not actually being martial artists. (It's especially bad in scenes with lots of extras and better in ones where the stakes aren't lethal and/or where people are just getting glowing orange holes blown in them instead of e.g. getting carved up with an axe.)

But "the soldiers miss a lot" isn't a technical flaw in the story; it is the story. The entire movie is about how the Motherworld rules through fear because they don't actually have the military might to keep everyone in line through force at once. If you're going "wow, these idiots are getting dunked on by a farmer, a drunk, and a deserter who hasn't seen action in years," you're having exactly the same reaction that an observer in this universe who sees or hears about would have.

Uhh... No. It is a technical flaw in the film.

Not the original poster on the issue, but I had the same problem. The issue is simply bad choreography. Good fight scenes make people miss rather than assuming incompetence. The first John Wick film is really good for this in that people miss him not because their aim is poo poo, but because of obstacles, movement, concealment etc.

Now this film isn't going that sort of tactical 'realism', but instead it goes for a style of heroic characters doing heroic things. The issue is that it often leads to characters acting bizarrely suicidal. Mooks don't shoot even when their target is wide open, while others stand in the open like they are fortune from mgs2, knowing that they can't possibly be struck. Noble does this in the finale and it is so jarring it had me convinced that he had some measure of immortality the story hadn't dropped on us.

The worst example of this bad choreography is the spider. Their climactic duel comes to a close as she chokes the life out of her opponent and... She is stabbed in the chest. By the laser swords her opponent was holding the whole fight. The ending of that fight only worjs if you, like the spider, lack object permanence.

Fine enough film, and I'm. Sure it will be better with the cut that isn't butchered to poo poo, but the action is bad.

I will say that while I hate all of the 'warriors' they pick up for their total lack of meaningful character, I do actually secretly love nemesis for how she is in the background of every scene after her introduction clearly not having any idea what is going one. It is like they didn't even tell the actress and I low key love it.

Caros fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

"Broke suspension of belief", much like "unlikeable characters", is a nothing phrase that basically says "I'm unable to articulate what I actually disliked about this movie" and so ends up with a brain dropping take.

No they're not.

Broke suspension of belief = I was unable to get immersed in the movie because the stuff I was seeing on-screen did not make the drama seem credible in any sense. I was unable to engage in the movie because my brain was too busy going: "Wait, what the gently caress?" and not in a good way. Rather it was in a: "Hang on, that didn't make sense" way. Generally this is going to have something to do with the consistency of the presentation. Or if we see something that just doesn't make sense. The example I used specifically was that in the fight scenes, it looked like the bad guys were letting the good guys win due to poor choreography.

Unlikeable Characters = None of the characters had personalities or performances which were engaging. They were characters which we have seen a million times over and didn't do anything interesting or cool. Their performances were not entertaining to watch. Translation: The movie didn't make me care about any of the characters.

Note that I didn't say anything about being "believable" when I mentioned characters or their performances. Heath Ledger's Joker isn't entirely a believable character, but he's engaging as gently caress.

I personally didn't find the characters likeable, but they didn't really ruin the movie for me either. However this is a personal thing. Some people enjoy Tom Cruise bringing Tom Cruise into every role.

I mean two of the most basic things that any narrative has to have in order to be engaging is a believable cohesive story, and characters that we care about. If the narrative fails on those two fronts, it doesn't matter how many whiz-bang lazors and slow motion shots there are, nobody is going to give a gently caress.

Maybe a film needs to do more than have Zack Snyder attached for people to invest in it.