Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Professor Beetus posted:

God help me even on most of my good characters I can't help but yeeting him myself. It's probably the best example of comic timing/physical comedy in the game, and the late cinematic director deserves to have his work appreciated. The dragonborn's facial expression in response made me lose my poo poo the first time I saw it. Just :discourse:

yeet Barcus? I've never done that. He's one of the few Deep Gnomes whose not an rear end in a top hat so I'd feel a lil bad doing that.

Only a little though because it'd be funny as hell im sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
What's slightly odd is the poisoned deep gnome calling the duergar 'greys'

motherfucker have you looked at... yourself... recently

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Is there a good way to make Asterion like me in act 3? He's roughly neutral right now and I'm worried I won't be able to keep him from ascending when we fight cazador

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Is there a good way to make Asterion like me in act 3? He's roughly neutral right now and I'm worried I won't be able to keep him from ascending when we fight cazador

Worst case scenario, just make sure one of the spawns die in the main combat with cazador, then he won’t be able to ascend regardless.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Ginette Reno posted:

Decided to fight the goblins at the windmill on this hm run and that's a tough little fight at level 3. I usually talk my way by it. Took some cunning to survive that.

Standing on the roof of the house across the path and picking off enemies with ranged attacks works really well.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Worst case scenario, just make sure one of the spawns die in the main combat with cazador, then he won’t be able to ascend regardless.

Thanks. I'm doing a resist durge run and have been swapping him in and out of the party as needed. I'm not sure why he never warmed up to me, I suspect he was out of the party for some big events and my general goodytwoshoesness didn't meet his approval.

Karlach thinks I'm the best tho, so I must be doing okay.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ginette Reno posted:

yeet Barcus? I've never done that. He's one of the few Deep Gnomes whose not an rear end in a top hat so I'd feel a lil bad doing that.

Only a little though because it'd be funny as hell im sure

Oh yeah it sucks and I'm a bad person, I just can't help myself, it's too funny.

e: do it as a dragonborn at least once, even if you end up reloading

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Thanks. I'm doing a resist durge run and have been swapping him in and out of the party as needed. I'm not sure why he never warmed up to me, I suspect he was out of the party for some big events and my general goodytwoshoesness didn't meet his approval.

Karlach thinks I'm the best tho, so I must be doing okay.

I’m pretty sure it’s like shadowheart, where he’ll make the ‘right’ decision unless you push him down a dark path, but I’m not certain. You do get the better cutscene/dialogue if you don’t do what I suggested above and go through the process properly. I think maybe you also have to take him to talk to the prisoners in the dungeon

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Robobot posted:

I like Sean Astin. I hope we never find out he's a secret giant rear end in a top hat.

Haven’t read it on myself but word on the street is in his autobiography he’s real insecure and unpleasant !!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jay Rust posted:

Haven’t read it on myself but word on the street is in his autobiography he’s real insecure and unpleasant !!

And he never once wheezed the juice

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jay Rust posted:

He was pro unionization on the set of lotr though

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I finished the game! I think Ethel and Raphael were the best parts of it.

Where's the best summary of the plot branches so I can see what happens if I do the things I didn't do?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Raising Asterion's rep is annoying since he thrives on being a selfish dick. Things that make Asterion like you are typically things that will make everyone else dislike you except for Lae'zel & Minthara (and sometimes Shadowheart) who also encourage you to be a jerk whenever possible.

Things Asterion likes:

-Being a smartass
-Being condescending
-Straight up telling people "not my problem, gently caress off"
-Shaking people down
-Power grabs
-Flattery
-Respecting his independence (slavery and other forms of indentured servitude are a sore spot for him)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jay Rust posted:

drat, dude owned himself in his autobiography ?

Azhais posted:

And he never once wheezed the juice

Wheezing the juice BLACK SUNSHINE

Wheezing the juice woooooooooooow

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I love how Orin just uses random compound words. Like she's German or something. She called me her slaughterkin.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I’ve read Sean Astin’s autobiography, it was fine.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Gort posted:

I finished the game! I think Ethel and Raphael were the best parts of it.

Where's the best summary of the plot branches so I can see what happens if I do the things I didn't do?

My wife and I were debating which is the best villain in the game and while not the best I do sincerely love Vlakith's I'll get you speech when Laziel rejects her. Like she's sooo sooo mad she can't even make a coherent threat. Just screams at you in rage. Lol, the voice direction is 👌

This game does petty assholery so well.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 25, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

All the voice acting in this game is insanely good but if I have to pick a best villain acting award I have to pick Ketheric. Maybe Ethel for runner up.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I ended up messing up my for honor run to pick up minthara because apparently you have to do more than knock her out in temp combat, you have to do it before killing certain other people in the map, which I saved minthara for last lmao. Didn't find out until almost the very end of act 2 (I did everything save the last bit to trigger the ending sequence). got so upset that I ended up taking a week off playing, only to return and blast through all the essentials in act 3 in 1 playthrough for the golden die. The epilogue they added in is so great.

Getting to save karlach had such an excellent cutscene where she basically duke nukems hell. After seeing it on this run, I decided to load up my saves from my other 3 runs to check out what happened in those. who shows up at the end and also what they say is entirely based on what you did, including some actions in the ending sequence. I so very much look forward to contorting the characters to do wacky stuff to see how they respond in the epilogue in future playthroughs.

as far as the difficulty goes, it's almost all frontloaded in act 1, and by the time you get to level 5, you've already fought against all the hardest legendary action mechanics and so long as you bring tripping effects, they might as well not even exist. The hardest fight in the entire game, from my perspective, was the owlbear fight, followed by harpies because they can just rng you. I played a warlock with 1 level in bard as my front, a fighter, a rogue/hunter (3/5 leading to 7/5), and a sorc. I chose to fight raphael, having the mythril hammer made it so I broke all 4 pillars before he even took an action. Orin didn't even get a turn. As far as gear went, I was mostly just rocking the stuff I got in acts 1 and 2, the only act 3 stuff I picked up were stuff that vendors sold and the genie spear, which single handedly turned the rest of the game into a joke. I'm glad I did it once, but I would like to save scum some dialogue in future playthroughs just to see what characters have to say so I think it's a one & done for me.

the die is kinda ugly btw

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Had the absolute dumbest fight on honour mode. I had Wyll (Warlock) Lae'zel (War Cleric), me (Sorcerer/Lock) and Astarion (lore Bard). So I was going up north to kill those hyenas that spawn gnolls and also recruit Karlach. Well usually that's easily done...I kill the hyena that goes to alert the other gnolls and then I can get a good spot and finish the other group of gnolls off.

Except this time I didn't roll well and the hyena alerted the gnolls. Worse still I was only level 3 and low on spells. I couldn't kill the gnolls fast enough and they eventually killed Wyll and Lae'zel. At that point there were three gnolls left alive and just me and Astarion. What followed was a hilarious game of cat and mouse as I lured the gnolls across the map all the way to the Inn. One of them I was ducking in and out of cover against to snipe with blasts before getting out of range of its bow shots. Meanwhile, Astarion circled all the way back around to rez Lae'zel and Wyll.

I eventually finished the fight off. I probably popped like 15 healing potions though.

Extremely dumb fight but it was actually fun because normally I would just reload there but instead I managed to clutch out what looked like a sure wipe by some clever running around. Hit level 4 off that fight too, though I am now out of potions.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

For villain voices:

Ethel is legit one of the best "wicked witch" characters I've ever heard voiced. As utterly vile as she is, I still can't help liking her because of how much fun she is as a baddie. Just a master class in how you write and voice a fey villain.

I would rank Ketheric higher but a lot of his lines com out sounding bored and tired. To be fair that suits the character. He only gets a few dialog options where the terrifying cold fury comes to the front, and unfortunately some of those are 100% missable depending on what you've done in act 2 and whether or not you bring it up to him.

Raphael is, of course, immaculate as a manipulative tempter / vain poser. And he's also the only bad guy in BG3 that gets to sing their own theme song for the fight.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I just got attacked at my sweet moonlight camp. Its time to finally deal with my business I guess now that my cover is blown. So for the conclusion of Astarion's quest line do I call the session invite "The Real Fey Blues" or "The Real Fae Blues" He's got Fey ancestry but we're in Faerûn. "Cazadors World" didn't have that climactic punch for my stupid weeb poo poo.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

balthasar has, quite genuinely, one of the best performances in the entire game, even though it's a comparatively small role all things considered. "gloating psychotic mad scientist guy" is one of those ham-and-cheese archetypes that, in a lesser game, would absolutely be voiced by some dude eating the scenery in one big bite, but balthasar's VA has tremendous presence and menace that makes him come across completely differently than i was expecting. it's the kind of out-and-out Villain Voice i haven't heard since turel in LoK

i do think J.K simmons phoned it in a bit with ketheric, but it's understandable: it's a genre and style (operatic high fantasy) that he doesn't have a ton of experience with, and the omni-man voice only works well in invincible because he has more energetic foils to contrast him instead of a silent protagonist

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Had to run away from the Phase Spider Matriarch in Honor mode and use everyone as meat shields so Astarion could climb back out of there to avoid a wipe. Goblin Camp went much smoother though. Assassinated Gut in a silence bubble, knocked out Minthara, stole all the explosive barrels from the storage room, then set them all up around the boss and blew him to hell the moment the fight started from the ceiling. Should tick over to Level 5 once I'm done Waukeen's Rest and clearing miscellaneous stuff then I'll take a crack at Ethel and the spiders again.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Just got this and i'm not familiar with 5e - any particular classes i should roll?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Just got this and i'm not familiar with 5e - any particular classes i should roll?

Human male fighter with the default face. Shadowheart romance.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

bard's a rock solid starting option if you're unsure of what you want to do. they get a little bit of everything, have three great subclasses with different playstyles, and a ton of spare skills so you can specialize in whatever strikes your fancy

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Shadowheart romance.

yikes dat bowlcut

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Lol I guess a consequence of my dumb protracted fight against the gnolls is that apparently Florrick died. I guess me entering the inn and then leaving it before saving her caused her to get burned to death. RIP Florrick

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

yikes dat bowlcut

Scared?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Ancients pally

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

i was, then i tried creating a character and it seems terrible haircuts are the default in this world

anyway went with a well-meaning but naive halfling monk because... idk?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

anyway went with a well-meaning but naive halfling because...

You enjoy roleplaying as short fat middle aged men

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

The Lord Bude posted:

You enjoy roleplaying as short fat middle aged men

goddamnit i just got done with dave the diver too

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Eau de MacGowan posted:

goddamnit i just got done with dave the diver too

Thank you for deciding what my next BG3 playthrough will be.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Halflings are OP. Probably the best single racial ability in the game, especially on a first playthrough when you don't know what speech checks you need to prepare for.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
My next playthrough will be a half long monk, and I will make a lot of mental references to the Strawberry Basket.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Is there a mod to give them faces I can stand to look at?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

anyway went with a well-meaning but naive halfling monk because... idk?

Enjoy punching on villains nutsacks like rocky on the speed bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

The Lord Bude posted:

Is there a mod to give them faces I can stand to look at?

Skill issue