Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

well, yeah. I could install 23H2 via MCT. But I'm more wondering why it's not available via windows update in the first place. If there's some weird compatibility problem WU is detecting causing it to block 23H2 from being shown as an option... I'd like to know what it is? There should be a way to tell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
The tool will also do an upgrade

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

pmchem posted:

well, yeah. I could install 23H2 via MCT. But I'm more wondering why it's not available via windows update in the first place. If there's some weird compatibility problem WU is detecting causing it to block 23H2 from being shown as an option... I'd like to know what it is? There should be a way to tell?

MS could have decided there is a potential issue with some hardware you are running. If that's the case and you are running pro, the holdback can be disabled in policy.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

pmchem posted:

Does W11 do upgrade assistants still? If so, you could run the upgrade assistant and it could tell you why and/or install it for you.

MS also has a page where it lists issues that are preventing wider rollout of an OS version and who's affected.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

so uh, every other time I click on windows defender (seriously, it's that reliable) it shows that there's no tpm but it's definitely enabled in BIOS... can I safely chalk this up as another fun ui bug with windows defender like the LSA thing earlier this year?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

astral posted:

MS also has a page where it lists issues that are preventing wider rollout of an OS version and who's affected.

anyone got a link to that page?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

pmchem posted:

anyone got a link to that page?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-11-23h2

Doesn't look like it's been updated for a bit though, with the blue message:

Current status as of October 31, 2023 posted:

We will begin the auto-updating rollout process in the coming months and share more information here.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I gave in and just burned the MCT to USB and did an in-place update to 23H2. Worked fine of course, but :iiam: why I couldn't just get it from windows update

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Went to go make dinner while a Windows Update was pending and it installed while I was away. Just Cumulative Update KB5033372 for Windows 10, no big deal. Right?

Why is Co-Pilot sitting in my system tray? Why would they back port this? Why does it make me think of this:

pre:
CO-PILOT FOUND YOU!!!
 CO-PILOT FOUND YOU!!!
  CO-PILOT FOUND YOU!!!
   CO-PILOT FOUND YOU!!!
    CO-PILOT FOUND YOU!!!
     CO-PILOT FOUND YOU!!!
     RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
    RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
   RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
  RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
 RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
What a shame.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Fabulousity posted:

Why is Co-Pilot sitting in my system tray? Why would they back port this?

The update is definitely impacting security :v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’ve entirely ignored it. Has someone done something useful with Co pilot?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Copilot is going to be a roaring success, it will be like the new Cortana

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Rinkles posted:

I’ve entirely ignored it. Has someone done something useful with Co pilot?

Kinda, it helps you with disabling co-pilot. Ask it how to disable Co pilot in windows 11 lol.

It was one thing too many to keep track of so it finally made me make a list of things to remove on new installs. Co pilot allowed me to be responsible I guess

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've got a several year old surface pro... I think 2017. It's running an i5-7300u w/8GB

It is saying I can't run 11 through standard updates.

I have 11 on a couple of other PCs and don't really mind it. Any practical downside to doing one of those "force 11" on it hacks?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

slidebite posted:

I've got a several year old surface pro... I think 2017. It's running an i5-7300u w/8GB

It is saying I can't run 11 through standard updates.

I have 11 on a couple of other PCs and don't really mind it. Any practical downside to doing one of those "force 11" on it hacks?

That PC will never be eligible to run Windows 11 normally, they've made an arbitrary cutoff at 8th gen intel and 2nd gen ryzen; your CPU is 7th gen intel. The only real downside to bypassing checks is that microsoft says it's an unsupported installation and at some point things may stop working. So far they haven't and people are running windows 11 on old hardware just fine. It's possible that things will stop updating properly at some point in the future, however.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Rexxed posted:

That PC will never be eligible to run Windows 11 normally, they've made an arbitrary cutoff at 8th gen intel and 2nd gen ryzen; your CPU is 7th gen intel. The only real downside to bypassing checks is that microsoft says it's an unsupported installation and at some point things may stop working. So far they haven't and people are running windows 11 on old hardware just fine. It's possible that things will stop updating properly at some point in the future, however.

The worst risk here is that you end up unable to upgrade, but sticking on Windows 10 is also going to end in that state eventually too, so it's kind of a tossup.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah just install it anyway, use Rufus to make a USB and use its CPU bypass or whatever. I have the same Surface Pro and the only thing that's been an issue is that Windows update won't do the big builds like 22H2 on its own, but also once 11 is on there the media creation tool will happily update-install those versions without caring about the CPU requirement

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I generally doubt that MS will make PCs that have been forced to 11 stop getting updates. Unpatched PCs were a huge problem for them that they've spent a lot of time & money digging out from.

IMO the biggest practical downside is that 11 may eventually mandate HVCI / memory integrity as something that can't be turned off, and certain tasks will take a big dump in performance on older CPUs.

If you don't do anything that cares about performance on the PC it probably doesn't matter.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks guys. I think I'll do it over Christmas.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah just install it anyway, use Rufus to make a USB and use its CPU bypass or whatever. I have the same Surface Pro and the only thing that's been an issue is that Windows update won't do the big builds like 22H2 on its own, but also once 11 is on there the media creation tool will happily update-install those versions without caring about the CPU requirement
Since you have one, did you do a fresh install? I assume no problems with the Surface bringing in surface-specific driver updates?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I did a fresh install from 10 to 21H2 and then a couple weeks ago when I realized it was still on that version I did the MCT in place upgrade to 23H2 which went just fine. It pulled down all the drivers just fine and has also still pulled the occasional Surface firmware update as well

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Anyone know how to stop the "Restoring Network Connections" pop up?

I put my PC in hibernate mode overnight and every morning I'm greeted with 5-10 of these windows telling me about the connection to my NAS.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Two possibilities I can think of:
First, your NAS might be going into some kind of sleep mode when it's not being accessed for a while, and it takes a bit of time to get sufficiently alive again when you try to access after resuming your computer.
Second, your computer might take a while to restart the network adapter after coming back from hibernate, so there's a period after waking up where it has no network. For this one, it might be possible to configure something in the driver to keep the network alive while the computer is in soft-off mode.

Another option is to figure out what software you have running that wants to access your NAS all the time and either close/pause it before you go into hibernation, or see if you can convince the developer to add better support for sleep modes some way.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I have just the faintest memory of having to clean out stored network share credentials on a computer because of that error. It's not a time-out. It's like something trying to claim a drive letter that's already in use.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Yeah, is it the network sharing section? Your keyword is "unmap" network drive I think... You can always remap

LegitMaan
Mar 10, 2005

I noticed my Cinebench scores are lower than expected and I found it was due to Defender's real-time protection. I see the Antimalware Service Executable hitting up to 2% during a Cinebench run, and its lowering scores by 3-4% compared to disabling real-time protection. Other benchmark apps are also affected but to a smaller degree.

Is this a common issue with Windows 11 23H2? Is Defender mistaking Cinebench for a virus? On my old PC with Win10 the Antimalware Service stays at 0% during a benchmark and real-time protection doesn't affect scores.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
apparently ms added ai gen to paint :barf:

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Got it

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I don't remember what the alternatives were, but this is one of the expressions that Microsoft thinks are important to change between US, UK and international English OS language settings. It might well say "Ok" or "Understood" or loving "Let's go" in one of the others or something like that. I wish I made a screenshot.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt posted:

I don't remember what the alternatives were, but this is one of the expressions that Microsoft thinks are important to change between US, UK and international English OS language settings. It might well say "Ok" or "Understood" or loving "Let's go" in one of the others or something like that. I wish I made a screenshot.

Got it

God, it feels so... condescending. Don't put words into my mouth, computer.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

Should just use this emote instead of saying "Let's go." :letsgo:

In other news I had copilot just show up, seemingly unbidden, on the side of my display this morning. It's possible I hit a key combination by accident that activated it, but it's persisting even after disabling copilot in GPO.

Love how "Just kidding. You're great!" is a suggested response.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Flipperwaldt posted:

lol they should just make this a registry key so everyone can set whatever word they're most comfortable with

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

NFX posted:

Got it

My favourite is still when they converted Zip to Postcode from US to British English (yes, a zip file). Probably tried to automate it

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

VostokProgram posted:

lol they should just make this a registry key so everyone can set whatever word they're most comfortable with

I'd love to replace "Remind me later" with "gently caress off."

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
A "remind me never" option would be nice for plenty of their new features.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Indiana_Krom posted:

A "remind me never" option would be nice for plenty of their new features.

You can have "Maybe later"

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

c0burn posted:

My favourite is still when they converted Zip to Postcode from US to British English (yes, a zip file). Probably tried to automate it

When they first started updating notepad to be just a tad bit modern than the junk that had been unchanged since XP, it got an option to save documents as "Unicode with BOM" (byte order mark, a specific encoding). In danish rhry translated it to "unicode med stykliste" (the translated version word for Bill of Materials). God forbid they put any effort into anything)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

VostokProgram posted:

I'll change it to say "Doki doki" :j:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It might have been on Windows 98, but at some point in time I made the Windows error sound be Jello Biafra saying "That man is unreliable."

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
What happened to the dude who sells keys is he dead or still around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

still around

https://www.lodgenorth.com