Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I don't know anything about this Dempsey guy but the video makes it seem like he won't be entirely out of place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I don't know anything about this Dempsey guy but the video makes it seem like he won't be entirely out of place

He's Regal's kid so that makes sense

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Started at the New Japan dojo before the pandemic, then when that started he went back to the US & ended up in NXT

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Charlie Dempsey, for those unaware, is William Regal's son. He's good for someone with only two years' experience.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

Charlie Dempsey, for those unaware, is William Regal's son. He's good for someone with only two years' experience.

But no Yuma Anzai

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

If he had gone to the Dragongate dojo he’d be ready for the main event by now.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Stall_19 posted:

He's Regal's kid so that makes sense

forkboy84 posted:

Started at the New Japan dojo before the pandemic, then when that started he went back to the US & ended up in NXT

Neat, thanks!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I said good, not great.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/alljapan_pw/status/1739196017952858358

So Dempsey isn't only there for the Korakuen show on the 3rd, he starting on the Yoyogi show at the end of the month. And lol at WWE Hall of Famer Tatsumi Fujinami.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Takao Omori is leaving All Japan at the end of the year, such coincidental timing. This is the one thing we didn't want to happen

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Funny poster for DDT's next big show.
https://twitter.com/DramaticDDT/status/1739196414435951040

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

26/12/2023, Tuesday

6pm JST/8pm AEDT/9am GMT/4am EST/1am PST

Dragongate Fantastic Gate Night 12
Sambo Hall, Kobe
Dragon Dia, Kaito Nagano & Ryoya Tanaka vs Natural Vibes (BIG BOSS Shimizu, Kzy & U-T)
Mondai Ryu vs Takashi Yoshida
BxB Hulk, Kagetora, Punch Tominaga & Shachihoko Boy vs Don Fujii, Genki Horiguchi, Shuji Kondo & Ultimo Dragon
M3K (Masaaki Mochizuki, Susumu Mochizuki & Yasushi Kanda) vs Z-Brats (ISHIN, KAI & Yoshiki Kato)
Dragon Kid & Eita vs Naruki Doi & YAMATO
Royal Sambo: Ben-K vs Hyo vs Jacky Funky Kamei vs Jason Lee vs Kota Minoura vs Luis Mante vs Madoka Kikuta vs Shun Skywalker vs Strong Machine J

Just because it's Christmas doesn't mean I'm not thinking about puro (OK, I took a break from watching my dad play the Hitman Trilogy I got him to be anti-social), saw DG post this card on Facebook. Not essentially viewing but hey, it's their last show of the year.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
That's a WAY more stacked Royal Sambo than usual. Instead we're getting... Mondai vs Yoshida singles lmao

Hyped for YamaDoi vs DK/Eita, that's gonna rule. YamaDoi-led unit WHEN though :cry:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Brandon Cutler, Ikemen Jiro & Colt Cabana vs. El Lindaman, Kaz Hayashi, and someone else??? at GLEAT

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pylons posted:

Brandon Cutler, Ikemen Jiro & Colt Cabana vs. El Lindaman, Kaz Hayashi, and someone else??? at GLEAT

Issei Onitsuka. He's pretty decent, think he came through Wrestle-1 before that died

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Doi put more effort into doing the Natural Vibes dance once than the entire time Susumu was in Vibes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

Doi put more effort into doing the Natural Vibes dance once than the entire time Susumu was in Vibes.

That was the thing that turned me into a Susumu stan from a mere appreciator.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Anyway way to get tickets overseas for the DDT show on the 3rd or do I need to wait till I'm in Japan?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Lol at Jae bringing up the lady who got in the ring and yelled at Kaito for being a loser.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

So now that Tanahashi is president, we need a Sanshiro Takagi/ Tanahashi match at a big DDT show.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Anyway way to get tickets overseas for the DDT show on the 3rd or do I need to wait till I'm in Japan?

Are you on the Observer board? I saw there's a poster in the Wrestle Kingdom Travelers thread who has a ticket for it

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

In which Kevin Kelly makes a big dumb sweeping assumption and gets schooled by a far better commentator.

All shows that have major plot/unit developments have a separate English feed. The rest are basically glorified house shows that have the wrestlers goofing off on commentary just to give them something to do.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
does dragon gate still have a dogshit streaming website though cuz I vaguely remember that being an issue back when everyone was setting them up

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

does dragon gate still have a dogshit streaming website though cuz I vaguely remember that being an issue back when everyone was setting them up

It's...less bad? Events stay up for longer than they used to which is great, service still costs more than AJPW TV, NJPW World, Wrestle Universe or Stardom World (1,650 Yen a month). A bunch of non-Korakuen house shows in places like Kobe, Kyoto & Osaka plus some others are 1 or 2 camera shoots with the only commentary being wrestlers, but that doesn't really bother me, not like I can understand Japanese anyway.

It's still hard to recommend to someone who is DG curious rather than already into the style or having at least some familiarity because of the cost, but hey, they have to at least break even & unlike NJPW, Stardom & NOAH/DDT/TJPW Dragongate don't have a big company behind them who can to some extent other subsidise the cost or just find savings through economics of scale.

Ultimately they have multiple live shows a month, usually at least 1 Korakuen Hall show that has English commentary & is where most storylines advance, those are easy to find, there are Infinity episodes of stuff back to 2017, lots of big shows from even further back, & they are still drip-uploading Toryumon episodes, we're up to November 2002 now. I'd rather they came out much quicker but they've not got a big video team & are having to digitise this stuff as they go along according to Jae. It's not the easiest to navigate but then honestly that's true of basically every wrestling VOD service, even the WWE Network can be a royal pain in the arse when you're trying to find a specific WCW show from 1995 or whatever.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

sleep with the vicious posted:

Are you on the Observer board? I saw there's a poster in the Wrestle Kingdom Travelers thread who has a ticket for it

Not on the board no :(

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Looking at Steve "Doctor Death" Williams wrestle in the 1990 Real World Tag League is tripping me out. Dude's 30 years old and looks like he's creeping up on 50. And lmao his partner Terry Gordy is a year younger. What were they feeding these guys

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

apophenium posted:

Looking at Steve "Doctor Death" Williams wrestle in the 1990 Real World Tag League is tripping me out. Dude's 30 years old and looks like he's creeping up on 50. And lmao his partner Terry Gordy is a year younger. What were they feeding these guys

Cocaine, cigarettes & beer. It's always impressive how poorly guys aged in the '80s & 'early '90s.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/b3rt4/status/1739772122409423307?s=20

I am really getting nervous

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Not sure All Japan could handle yet another exodus of talent if the worst happens :(

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Yikes and they've invited a tiger into the midst of everything with that WWE partnership

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nitter isn't letting me see that tweet, that's it about

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Yikes and they've invited a tiger into the midst of everything with that WWE partnership

Assuming that is linked to everything else.

I dunno, if there's a Japanese Dave Meltzer they don't get translated into English, business goings-on are always much more opaque. I have no idea what it's actually like behind the scenes, but the company feels like it's been more stable than a while where the company seemed to burn bridges, with Jun Akiyama, Yusuke Okada, Koji Iwamoto, even Naoya Nomura when he had his comeback it was with Capture rather than AJPW. And in isolation a 54 year old leaving, and the same for a ring announcer who is 57 and has been doing the gig for nearly 35 years. But there's always a lingering fear of it all derailing.

loving hope not

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Alaois posted:

Couple of long time veterans leaving and ToSpo giving a pretty dire warning

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Alaois posted:

Basically Fumihito Kihara, the AJPW ring announcer, has not renewed his contract. Combine that to Takao Omori also going and the Charlie Dempsey thing and Tokyo Sport are speculating something is happening in the office.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

forkboy84 posted:

Japanese Dave Meltzer

デーブー・マーラツァー

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ruh roh

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

I have a hard to believing wwe has anything to do with these people leaving. Feels like people are projecting.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Great Space War is such amazing nonsense. Taro Nohashi as Thomas The Tank Engine. Winnie The Pooh. Abdullah Kobayashi as Piglet making a small child cry. The ring mat coming off so Sasuke can do an absolutely idiotic dive.

Is it good? Dunno, but it's entertaining

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Stall_19 posted:

I have a hard to believing wwe has anything to do with these people leaving. Feels like people are projecting.

It's the reverse. The worry is that the weakness that's lead to people leaving also leaves All Japan vulnerable to WWE.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I decided to make an early start on next week's puro schedule & holy gently caress Big Japan.

Here's a selection of some of the North Americans appearing for BJW next week: Akira, Green Phantom (holy poo poo I haven't even heard that name since IWS was picking up steam online 15 years ago), Necro Butcher (yikes), Mad Man Pondo (challenging for the Deathmatch Title), Drake Younger (apparently wrestling primarily for XPW, always a good sign) & Violent J (of ICP). So that's at least 7 flights from North America (because Necro is being accompanied by Jasmine St Clair) BJW are paying for, plus whatever payouts for 2 or 3 dates (Younger & J aren't on the December 30th show, others are, plus all are on 2nd & 3rd January). I dunno, seems like that money could be used better, because 2023 Necro Butcher is just depressing.