Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

BeAuMaN posted:

The oil-free polesaw + baby chainsaw combo I never shut up about is $109.99 + $15 shipping, which I believe is the lowest historical price:
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P20310
Please never shut up about tool deals, you're doing God's work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Slugworth posted:

Please never shut up about tool deals, you're doing God's work.

:hai:

I don't need that pole saw but one day I bet I will and it will be glorious

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Johnny Truant posted:

It's legendary at this point. I keep looking for things far away I need to cut, just so I don't feel so left out.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

I don’t know why they don’t just sell the mini-chainsaw separately

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Chainsaws are just one of those tools that are very enjoyable to use and they make quick work so once your little job is done, you'll be looking for more to use it on. It's a sickness.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Schiavona posted:

Good news:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-8-in-Battery-Pruning-Chainsaw-with-2-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-P5453/314883772

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Schiavona posted:

They do, but it costs more than that deal by itself and a battery.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-O...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

*edit* drat, the 12" Hart clamp is in store only, no ship to home. Been pretty impressed with the 6" clamps on sale, nearly harbor freight prices and seem more in line with other brand quality.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 25, 2023

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I think those 2.0A batteries are just the cutest loving things lol

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Back to air compressors, assuming my use cases are confined to my own house, is it the worst idea to upsize beyond a portable ‘will run a small nailer’ model, stick it in the basement, and have enough hose on hand to get to my project?

In my head this gives me future capacity for more air hungry tools and noise isolation (more so if I build a housing for it) with the only drawbacks being upfront cost and accounting for pressure losses on whatever hose length.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

the yeti posted:

Back to air compressors, assuming my use cases are confined to my own house, is it the worst idea to upsize beyond a portable ‘will run a small nailer’ model, stick it in the basement, and have enough hose on hand to get to my project?

In my head this gives me future capacity for more air hungry tools and noise isolation (more so if I build a housing for it) with the only drawbacks being upfront cost and accounting for pressure losses on whatever hose length.

Probably depends A LOT on how air hungry your future tools are going to be. 20 gallon compressor tanks are obviously bigger than your pancake and would be fine for running your nail guns and so on, but for a lot of things, including automotive stuff (air ratchet, die grinder, impact etc) its extremely barely adequate.
Hope the actual compressor that comes with it has a high duty cycle.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Word. I was thinking something about that size would do it :shobon:

A grinder or automotive work is probably my heaviest use case fwiw.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

the yeti posted:

Tank size has no correlation to compressor capacity. The important number with air tools is cubic feet per minute -CFM. Basically how fast can the compressor compress air. A bigger tank just means the compressor will run less frequently, and it does give you some buffer but not a ton. Lots of large but reasonably inexpensive compressors at big box places have a fairly low capacity compressor (~5 CFM) stuck on a big tank because you can only get so much juice out of 120V. It looks like a big compressor, but most air tools that require a continuous supply of air like die grinders, impact wrench, spray guns, cut off wheels etc. need like 12-19CFM. If you are using the tool continuously, a 120V compressor will not be able to keep up with the high air demand. If you have a larger tank and are okay taking breaks it can be an okay solution, but unless you have a big stationary 240V compressor capable of supplying 10+ CFM I would stick to electric sanders, grinders, etc. if you plan on using them continuously.

e: a normal 5 gallon pancake compressor can also live in your basement with a long hose attached with no loss in performance and will be more than adequate for as many nail guns as you could want.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 26, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Remember a lot of this is how much downtime you're willing to have between blaps. 20 gallons isn't going to run a mechanics shop but it's going to get some brap braps out to loosen a lug nut. Probably a few. It will definitely run an air nailer if my pancake can get 2 shots. Get the idea?

I mean my little pancake can't set the air pressure in 3 cars tires without recharging twice but the cut in is pretty high. But 20gal? Oh sure. I don't even know how many gallons mine is.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

The space a 20+ gallon compressor consumes can hold a lot of batteries for cordless tools. I’ve sold off most of my air stuff and will just go battery powered from here on out. The extra weight and size isn’t an issue for my hobbyist skill level.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I pulled 20 gallons out of my rear end as I see compressors frequently with tanks about that size. Iirc pancake compressors are about 5 gallon.
I mentioned duty cycle because once the tank gets depleted enough, if you don't have time to wait for it to charge again the compressor is going to start running and if you're using something like a grinder for more than a minute or three, that compressor is going to be running constantly. As mentioned above of course, a few lug nuts on an impact gun won't matter that much if you just need to change a tire or whatever

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have a cheap Canadian Tire compressor that can fire easily 50 brads per charge.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Asked for the ryobi 3 gal vac from my mom for Christmas. Had a chance to use it today for a couple of projects, it rules. Haven’t tried the blower feature but videos show it good enough to clear a workbench.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

devmd01 posted:

Asked for the ryobi 3 gal vac from my mom for Christmas. Had a chance to use it today for a couple of projects, it rules. Haven’t tried the blower feature but videos show it good enough to clear a workbench.

Nice. The older model is no longer on DTO and the newer model is being held at $99.99 on DTO. Waiting for them to finally allow it to be discounted. I have the 6 gal and I wish I had the 3 gal instead.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

For you people that really like Milwaukee tools: Free Sticker
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/giveaway/Claim-Your-Prize

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Jonny Quest posted:

The space a 20+ gallon compressor consumes can hold a lot of batteries for cordless tools. I’ve sold off most of my air stuff and will just go battery powered from here on out. The extra weight and size isn’t an issue for my hobbyist skill level.

No hoses no cords all day, professional right there with you. I get the added bonus of the battleships onsite soapboxing how older tools are just better.

As they constantly unplug tools to plug other tools in and wonder why the compressor keeps throwing the breaker.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Recommendation on a submersible water pump? Automatic turn on is a plus so I could theoretically just leave it outside.

Use cases:
- Mostly getting water out of my kids sand box lid (tarp)
- Maybe pump water out of my pool

So doesn’t need to be 20 HP, but would be nice to pump down my pool slowly if needed.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Shuka posted:

No hoses no cords all day, professional right there with you. I get the added bonus of the battleships onsite soapboxing how older tools are just better.

As they constantly unplug tools to plug other tools in and wonder why the compressor keeps throwing the breaker.
Home Depot is having some great sales on some Dewalt Flexvolt stuff so I'm finally gonna try a cordless circular saw.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
:siren:Shoe Thread Crosspost::siren:

SPECIAL DREMEL SNEAKERS

https://youtube.com/shorts/wAtmM0k9Jp4?si=Vgh6qk9SNDGWRcqL

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Recommendation on a submersible water pump? Automatic turn on is a plus so I could theoretically just leave it outside.

Use cases:

So doesn’t need to be 20 HP, but would be nice to pump down my pool slowly if needed.

Those are two completely different use cases that will not be serviced with the same pump.

Any pump that can pump shallow enough for your first use case will be something like 2-4 GPM and would not have a duty cycle to pump down a pool - you'd likely smoke it after an hour/couple hundred gallons.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
To pump down a pool why wouldn't you use... Your pool pump?

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Use cases:

I pumped thousands and thousands of gallons up 8’ out of my flooded basement with this bad boy:
https://www.waynepumps.com/product/wwb/

Assuming the rate of flow is sufficient for you (like 1300gph) it ought to work just fine. They have an auto pump too but never tried it.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

Those are two completely different use cases that will not be serviced with the same pump.

Any pump that can pump shallow enough for your first use case will be something like 2-4 GPM and would not have a duty cycle to pump down a pool - you'd likely smoke it after an hour/couple hundred gallons.

the Wayne Water Bug pumps down to 1/16” :eng101:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This hurt my head.

The Top G posted:

I pumped thousands and thousands of gallons up 8’ out of my flooded basement with this bad boy:

Assuming the rate of flow is sufficient for you (like 1300gph) it ought to work just fine. They have an auto pump too but never tried it.

Seconded, I have one of these (and one of the Harbor Freight equivalent, which I actually like slightly better) that I use to pump rainwater out of a riding arena and into a pasture.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Motronic posted:

Yeah that’s fair.

The Top G posted:

This looks perfect. Thanks!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Stolen from the Twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/catlovingcommie/status/1741187115575099813

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

That's not phillips. :laugh:

It's ISO 8764 technically.

Also phillips is absolutely terrible in a modern setting.

deimos fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 31, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

IOwnCalculus posted:

This hurt my head.

They’re a special edition of these skate shoes

https://youtu.be/ivCu48BjnsA?si=DDq9FTq6GCmiqIzZ

https://youtu.be/nimMSDPimIc?si=DYiTgSMT7pO5HqAs

where the idea is that the normal wear + tear of skateboarding and/or intentional creative destruction can expose the different layers like a jawbreaker.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yeah seriously, like the two worst ones are the supposed "real" screws.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah seriously, like the two worst ones are the supposed "real" screws.

At least JIS won the standards war.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Well yeah, but also what 99.99% of people have driver bits for.

Or they don't realize they do have the more exotic ones in the box o' bits they bought years ago.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Trabant posted:

Stolen from the Twitter thread:

ftfy

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Trabant posted:

Well yeah, but also what 99.99% of people have driver bits for.

Or they don't realize they do have the more exotic ones in the box o' bits they bought years ago.

Most people also don't realize the philips bits/screw heads come in different sizes and that the bits do indeed wear out and need to be thrown away regularly.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Motronic posted:

Most people also don't realize the philips bits/screw heads come in different sizes and that the bits do indeed wear out and need to be thrown away regularly.

For real. Philips and slotted suck poo poo, and the supposed "benefit" (usually adjacent-size drivers work) is bullshit. With any driver, if you use the adjacent-sized driver, you're going to strip the head if you apply any appreciable amount of torque to it.

We use Torx screws for everything at work, they're superior in every way and you can usually use hex drivers in a pinch. Yeah you can overtorque if you're not careful, but tbh if you're the type to gorilla-torque every single screw, you don't belong anywhere near tools anyway.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Slotted I especially cannot fathom the amount of brain worms it would take to think it’s good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like slotted because my hobby is making all of my own fasteners using only hand tools.