Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

poop chute posted:

It’s also Christmas

I refuse to acknowledge the 25th as anything but "The day after Christmas". :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lostconfused posted:

Don't think I like the burgundy cape liner here, or the robes.

Cool

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Lmao at the dark angels, who have been hunting the fallen for ten thousand years, seeing the inner circle companions and being like “hmm yes no idea what these mysterious strangers are all about, must be a secret”.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

Cooked Auto posted:

I refuse to acknowledge the 25th as anything but "The day after Christmas". :colbert:

That’s tomorrow.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don’t get it who are they

I also really like the Eavy Metal burgundy they do for DA and DG. Iirc they have a few different mixes for the DG. I tried it once and it was heavenly.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mr Teatime posted:

Lmao at the dark angels, who have been hunting the fallen for ten thousand years, seeing the inner circle companions and being like “hmm yes no idea what these mysterious strangers are all about, must be a secret”.

literally the smartest thing anyone at GW has ever done was having the Lion come back and basically say "this whole fallen subplot sucks, lets get back to the arthurian knights poo poo"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I've ran into a surprising amount of people talking about how cool lion el'jonson was over the past month and how difficult it was getting his miniature.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

literally the smartest thing anyone at GW has ever done was having the Lion come back and basically say "this whole fallen subplot sucks, lets get back to the arthurian knights poo poo"

I regret to inform you that Gav Thorpe let Luther out of rock jail.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Professor Shark posted:

I don’t get it who are they

I also really like the Eavy Metal burgundy they do for DA and DG. Iirc they have a few different mixes for the DG. I tried it once and it was heavenly.

In The Lion's book when he came back he found himself in some pocket dimension or something that looked like Caliban and led him to popping up in the vicinity of a bunch of non-Chaos Fallen, who he rounded up to fight a Chaos warband, before meeting with Dante and been brought back into the wider fold. These guys showing up right when he did would suggest they are them.

I think the Inner Circle has been shrunk? Used to be all Deathwing and Ravenwing were in, I believe, now I think it's just Knights, leadership and these cats.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Angry Lobster posted:

Collecting/buying rant: I got into 40k by the tail end of 9th (so I'm still a beginner) by buying a fairly complete second-hand army (Grey Knights) and recently I've bought another one (Custodes). I've been consuming a lot of media recently, and Brad from Poorhammer throws around the same idea every time he talks about space marines: That they are the subscription service of 40k, basically a trap, and you know what, I think he's partially right.

I'm tempted to collect Dark Angels when the new refreshed models are released, because I'm a dumb idiot with an insatiable lust for terminators and I like to play with the armies I have, not only painting/collecting. However, when I think it carefully, actually playing them it's a devil's bargain. They have the biggest range in existence, and they will always be shifting what's usable and what not, getting new releases constantly and "forcing you" into the plastic treadmill, which is a practice I honestly despise. Also, a lot of units in their range are bland or minor variations of each other (yeah, I know my current armies are all variations of big dumb idiot in armor as well, stfu). All of this is why I'm subconsciously attracted to factions with tiny ranges like Custodes, GK, Thousand Sons and such, even when they are really limiting for you gameplay-wise.

This is my stupid rant for the day. Happy Christmas everyone!

My hot take: Brad from Poorhammer is dumb. You don’t have to throw money away on marines any more than other factions. James isn’t going to come to your house with a gun and an order form for each new marine release.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Aww bummer, that was the AM logo storm bolter I expected to be Yarrick's.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, was disappointed to learn that my hopes it wasn't Marines was squandered.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/24/sunday-preview-return-to-the-battle-for-macragge/

And for... reasons I can't explain. GW has announced that the old Battle for Macragge set is coming back on a Made to Order basis.

Wonder if it will come with all the accoutrements of 4th edition? LIke the mini-rulebook, whippy sticks and scatter dice.

I actually really liked Battle of Macragge as an introduction to the game set. Like the way the instruction book was laid out, it was like a step by step tutorial to playing the game. I wish they would make a modern version for the current edition.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Eej posted:

That's not an Iron Hand or Salamander though??

Don't be rude to my Iron boys, they've been through a lot

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah, was disappointed to learn that my hopes it wasn't Marines was squandered.

They released a roadmap showing it was DA like, when 10th dropped

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They released a roadmap showing it was DA like, when 10th dropped

I'm well aware of the roadmap, having posted in the thread in the post. :raise:
I was referring to the bolter teaser image.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Bucnasti posted:

Wonder if it will come with all the accoutrements of 4th edition? LIke the mini-rulebook, whippy sticks and scatter dice.

I actually really liked Battle of Macragge as an introduction to the game set. Like the way the instruction book was laid out, it was like a step by step tutorial to playing the game. I wish they would make a modern version for the current edition.

I think GW twitter confirmed its just the models, no book, templates, dice, etc. Also the box is not the original.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

How did you do this? I want to add some tanks to my white/bone marine army, and my dreadnoughts haven't been quite right

Lots of careful drybrushing and pin washes.

Screaming Skull over a dark grey base, wash with Agrax, drybrush screaming skull, followed by pallid wych flesh. Pin wash any crevice that got drybrushed over.

Then maybe chip it less than me, I think I went too heavy on this on. I've been touching it up.

Man, the cloaks on all those DAs look like rear end. Very few folds, and they look like creases got ironed into them, nor do they seem to relate to what is under them, very shapeless. I used to play Deathwing back in the day, these should really appeal to me, but oof, they don't look great. If I went that route again I'd rather get normal ones and sculpt fabric onto them. Some parts definitely look good, but overall they don't really read as fabric to me.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Virtual Russian posted:

Lots of careful drybrushing and pin washes.

Screaming Skull over a dark grey base, wash with Agrax, drybrush screaming skull, followed by pallid wych flesh. Pin wash any crevice that got drybrushed over.

Then maybe chip it less than me, I think I went too heavy on this on. I've been touching it up.

Nice, thanks! I have Mechanics Standard Grey spray so should be able to do this, unless it's too blue.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Belial is so goddamn boring.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Nice, thanks! I have Mechanics Standard Grey spray so should be able to do this, unless it's too blue.

That is the exact grey I used. I do the wash extremely heavy fyi.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

The fallen subplot also kinda stopped making sense once the HH books established that a ton of dudes from every legion rebelled so it really isn't a big deal that some DE rebelled.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Safety Factor posted:

Belial is so goddamn boring.

he looks sick, actually

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The duality of warhammer.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Beige terminator armor looks cool. The specific details might be less interesting, but the base concept carries it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Some of you guys are very nitpicky because the new Dangel stuff looks great overall. I'm very happy for you, 1st Legion.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I really like the look of the new termie plasma cannon

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Beige terminator armor looks cool. The specific details might be less interesting, but the base concept carries it.

Deathwing will always rule.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

In Epic:Armageddon I occasionally run an army that is just 100 individual terminators, plus some thunderhawks and thunderbolts. I lose every game, but man is that a cool fun list to play with.

Terms are just pretty darn cool.

AndyElusive posted:

Some of you guys are very nitpicky because the new Dangel stuff looks great overall. I'm very happy for you, 1st Legion.

I'm definitely splitting hairs there, but I do think GW's drapery game is slipping. I have much older models that have much better sculpted drapery.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

It seems really curmudgeonly to chime in saying "I don't like this" whenever something new comes out

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The winged skull has explicitly belonged to the Astra Militarum for a while now, and AFAIK Yarrick is the only AM character with a storm bolter and no current figure.

But no, it's just more Marines. This box mostly works with 30k (with small modifications) now that indominus terminators have rules

Without the character, but this and the last Heresy box will get you ~1350 points before upgrades. If you count the character as a Praetor in a different make of Terminator Armor and add weapons and upgrades, you'd probably hit 2k points of HHeresy Dark Angels in two purchases.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

moths posted:

The winged skull has explicitly belonged to the Astra Militarum for a while now, and AFAIK Yarrick is the only AM character with a storm bolter and no current figure.

But no, it's just more Marines. This box mostly works with 30k (with small modifications) now that indominus terminators have rules

Without the character, but this and the last Heresy box will get you ~1350 points before upgrades. If you count the character as a Praetor in a different make of Terminator Armor and add weapons and upgrades, you'd probably hit 2k points of HHeresy Dark Angels in two purchases.

Marines have had winged skulls for ages, in fact barely any standard mark X marines don't have it on their chest . And isn't Yarrick dead?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The winged skull is called the Imperialis and originated as an honour badge in the loyalist legions

Jeez people learn ur lore

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

moths posted:

Man who cares about the 30k points that box is like 900 points in 40k plus a codex.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

BizarroAzrael posted:

And isn't Yarrick dead?

That’s just what they want you to think.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Geisladisk posted:

The fallen subplot also kinda stopped making sense once the HH books established that a ton of dudes from every legion rebelled so it really isn't a big deal that some DE rebelled.

the big deal is that they're gay

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lostconfused posted:

Hell yea it do

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Marines have had winged skulls for ages, in fact barely any standard mark X marines don't have it on their chest . And isn't Yarrick dead?

If Ghazghkull Thraka didn't kill him then Ol' Bale Eye is alive he is.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Geisladisk posted:

I haven't read many of the DA Heresy books, but in what I've read they're actually a little worse. It's not that half went to Chaos; It's that the entire legion went straight to Team Dark Angels but split 50/50 into Angels leaning Horus and leaning Emperor.

There's also some speculation that they spent the Siege watching for a decisive winner to side with, which hasn't been disproven by anything I've read so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I just played my first game with the Leviathan mission pack - 1000 points of Custodes versus 1000 points of Eldar (entirely Harlequin). Incidentally, also the first game of 40k that I won! The use of missions (particularly assymetric ones) made the game a lot more dynamic than when you just have to sit on objectives, which I really enjoyed. I also finally got to use my Allarus Custodians, whose grenade launchers were far more effective than I had anticipated, and they managed to deep strike-ambush a Solitaire. We also finally had enough terrain that I wasn't shot off the board before getting anywhere.

Also, those Dark Angels models look sweet, but yes the Fallen subplot is dumb and has always been dumb. (Who cares if someone betrayed the Imperium once? Tons of marines do that.)