Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That Vulture article is worth a read. In it Hbomberguy makes the point that despite having watched about as much James Somerton content as anyone could possibly watch (actually it’s now significantly more than anyone could watch because a bunch of it has been nuked) he really doesn’t have much of a clue what the guy is like because he put so little of himself into his work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
the Angel Shamshel, with its obviously phallic appearance and burning whip arms, represents the burning shame that gay young boys are all too often burdened with.

Shinji is forced to stab the Angel to death in front of his new school friends, representing the need to conform to heterosexual society, and he is left with serious burns on the palms of his hands. I don’t need to tell you that this is an obvious reference to masturbation.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

LCL is just orange jizz

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

nerv isnt scared of the angels because they're wearing coats

lol

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Would love to know his take on THAT scene in End of Evangelion

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

you wouldn't find out because he'd be copying someone else's

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Clearly asuka was at fault for being a white passing woman comatose in bed to de - gay shinji

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pardon me, James Somerton, if that is your real name

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Rei (pronounced “Ree”) represents the special bond that gay boys have often held with their mothers throughout history. Hideaki Anno said as much during an interview with an underground manga website for queer people, a rare move indeed in conservative Japan.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The real villain of the show is Misato. Because she's history's greatest monster: a heterosexual woman.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
but where does circumcision come in

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pigbuster posted:

but where does circumcision come in

Depends on which source James is plagiarizing at the moment.

Wait, did he ever do a video about circumcision?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
please, this is not a Silent Hill discussion. We are talking about Evangelion

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The real villain of the show is Misato. Because she's history's greatest monster: a heterosexual woman.

Aided by pen pen (asexual)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm glad Rahxephon is safe in all this.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Fil5000 posted:

I continue to love that Noah just puts out videos that are him reading an essay for hours with visuals that are barely relevant.

I love Noah's stuff - and I loved this one as well - but like my tiniest bit of criticism is that I think it'd be neat if his videos included clips from games other than the one that the video is explicitly about, when relevant.
Like in the section on Quake 3 and Team Arena he obviously also talks about Unreal Tournament so a few clips from UT99 would make sense.

Other than that though I think he actually does a great job at matching up game footage when talking about something specific from a game (like say the fishbowl nature of the outdoor areas of Quake 4) so the essay-listening experience is enhanced by viewing the video as well - without relying on any fancy graphics or pause-or-youll-miss-it gags.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I really appreciate that YouTube promotes small channels on my main feed, but sorry Soren, I won't be checking out your video.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Expendables 4 was awful despite how hard Fifty was selling it.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Omg I fell in love with this channel instantly and watched all three

The tiny bobby fingers reference in the second video was a rare instance of reference humor hitting me and I guffaw'd out loud lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqPePWyduxQ

excited to see James follow in Mr. Spacey’s footsteps when rebuilding his online career

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

trilobite terror posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqPePWyduxQ

excited to see James follow in Mr. Spacey’s footsteps when rebuilding his online career

I am curious to see how James attempts such as his first effort at Posting Through It failed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can we not post Tucker Failson in this thread?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Clearly asuka was at fault for being a white passing woman comatose in bed to de - gay shinji

Wym white passing isn't she canonically german

(Baumkuchen)

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean, he’s technically been an online creator since he got fired from his TV show…

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arc Hammer posted:

Somehow, Tucker is not the worst person in that video.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

(Baumkuchen)

I don’t remember how it changes for the rebuilds, I know that they’re all technically supposed to be one continuity and the changes to the characters’ backstories and whatnot is intentional, but in the original series she’s half-Japanese

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lord Stimperor posted:

(Baumkuchen)

Half German, and as we all know, by the rules of racist mathematics 50% white = 0% white.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Arc Hammer posted:

the adults in the room are trying to have a laugh at the other guy in the video and how hes fallen so far that the only person willing to associate with him is carlson. no one is posting carlson with the intent of boosting his profile.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

in the new year, why dont we stop assuming that the people itt, whose politics are near identical and differ only in how they are expressed, are acting maliciously. people do and say things for reasons that might not immediately make sense because all of us are coming here with 20-30 years of personal history from literally all over the globe that the other thread participants are not privy to

e: not me, i dont even care if you keep yelling at me to be clear lol. i dont like seeing other people pick fights with each other when the initial problem was "why would you even think that about them"

fun hater fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 25, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

fun hater posted:

the adults in the room are trying to have a laugh at the other guy in the video and how hes fallen so far that the only person willing to associate with him is carlson. no one is posting carlson with the intent of boosting his profile.

When the first thing I hear in a video is Tucker my fight or flight reaction kicks in.

But whatever, my bad.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Take the money from Somerton’s fake movie studio and make more Rebuilds.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

When the first thing I hear in a video is Tucker my fight or flight reaction kicks in.

But whatever, my bad.

i like this bc i had the same reaction to seeing the words "being frank" in the youtube title. we are more alike than etc

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its genuinely insane spacey is still doing these

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Half German, and as we all know, by the rules of racist mathematics 50% white = 0% white.

But to racist anime fans?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

fun hater posted:

in the new year, why dont we stop assuming that the people whose politics are near identical and differ only in how they are expressed, are acting maliciously.

Idk, that sounds hard.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ariong posted:

That Vulture article is worth a read. In it Hbomberguy makes the point that despite having watched about as much James Somerton content as anyone could possibly watch (actually it’s now significantly more than anyone could watch because a bunch of it has been nuked) he really doesn’t have much of a clue what the guy is like because he put so little of himself into his work.

James is weird because it sounded like he read books as a hobby, but didn't personally interact with any other things he talked about? He was not a history buff. Historical factoids he brought up demonstrated that he knew jack poo poo about any history he didn't directly live through. He didn't seem to comprehend any anime he talked about, or have more than a shallow awareness of a lot of western animation like Avatar? He wasn't binging any TV series he discussed. He didn't appear to play any video games he talked about, either.

Even film stuff was off and he said he was film school grad? Maybe a bit less so because he must've watched the documentaries he stole so much from, but it's like he knew about those documentaries (and books?) from school and never watched any of actual films that were brought up? Compared to TV series, books, or AAA video games, it's way easier to watch a decent spread of films in a short period. And he was digging into really excellent stuff that would be fun to watch, like, who wouldn't want to marathon through Hellraiser, Scream, The Craft, Carrie, etc.? Or the great Disney animated movies? How could you not watch that stuff for analysis purposes, get excited, and generate your own original observations to add to your script? Or have previously watched any of those movies (as a film-student and presumably movie buff?) and have opinions to share?

The video I watched of his before washing my hands of him was the one where he defended Helluva Boss in specific ways that make me think it's one of the few things he did watch and generate original opinions on. And that's the one where he said "all the cool gays died from AIDS" as part of some broader thesis about how we need messy queer representation. And I don't know... even that felt like he ported a thesis from a way better-presented verilybitchie video, changed things around so it didn't look like he copied it, and completely lost in whatever point he wanted to make about problematic queer creators and messy queer characters in media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cR3b2Gblq0

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 25, 2023

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Expendables 4 was awful despite how hard Fifty was selling it.

expendables...4??

i had to check this poo poo out. apparently it came out this year, and shockingly enough, completely flopped:

quote:

It has grossed $51 million worldwide against a budget of $100 million which made it a box office bomb.

:lmao:

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Going back to what trilobite terror posted earlier I think a lot of it makes sense if you consider that maybe James didn't make videos because he wanted to do analysis, but because he wanted to be known as a filmmaker and he treated the Youtube stuff like part of a job that'd pay for it. So he approached it like a disinterested high schooler approaches their class assignments and didn't bother engaging, instead he just sought out a bunch of stuff other people had written on the subjects, loosely cobbled it together and turned it in to get his views and his money. And it worked so he never had any reason to question it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fun hater posted:

in the new year, why dont we stop assuming that the people itt, whose politics are near identical and differ only in how they are expressed, are acting maliciously. people do and say things for reasons that might not immediately make sense because all of us are coming here with 20-30 years of personal history from literally all over the globe that the other thread participants are not privy to

e: not me, i dont even care if you keep yelling at me to be clear lol. i dont like seeing other people pick fights with each other when the initial problem was "why would you even think that about them"
i dont think that person was saying 'how dare you post tucker carlson, you CHUD' just 'i have embeds turned off and that video wasnt really labelled as anything so i got jumpscared by the existence of tucker carlson'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Clerical Terrors posted:

Going back to what trilobite terror posted earlier I think a lot of it makes sense if you consider that maybe James didn't make videos because he wanted to do analysis, but because he wanted to be known as a filmmaker and he treated the Youtube stuff like part of a job that'd pay for it. So he approached it like a disinterested high schooler approaches their class assignments and didn't bother engaging, instead he just sought out a bunch of stuff other people had written on the subjects, loosely cobbled it together and turned it in to get his views and his money. And it worked so he never had any reason to question it.

Yeah, like, all that I'm left to assume is he's an echoing void of a personality, and has been skating by faking and stealing poo poo most of his life if none of this felt out-of-pocket to him. Like what does he do with his time here on this earth??? Does he just turn off and stare at a wall?