Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pigma_Micron posted:

Honestly, I love the guy, but there's no reason his videos need to be as long as they are. I think he just throws all his research in all it doesn't feel like a waste of time.

He does actually cut stuff, like the plagarism had another 20 minutes on illuminaughtii that he stuck on a second channel and the Human Revolution video had like 15 minutes of stuff about the history of mirrors in games that he pulled out and made into a seperate patreon video.

In the case of the plagarism video, it felt to me like it needed to be that long, he needed to set up "here's how people respond when called on plagarism" so that when Somerton tried it it didn't work, as well as provide EXHAUSTIVE evidence of Somerton's plagarism so he couldn't handwave it away as a couple of isolated examples. It's three and a half hours leading up to the only time saying to someone "Delete your channel" has actually worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Salt Fish posted:

I roll my eyes every time I see the runtime is 10:01. You get an extra ad when your video hits 10:00. Once you start looking for it you'll see it everywhere.
There's this retro channel, Modern Vintage Gamer, and literally every video of his is over 10 minutes. There's so much padding I'm not watching his stuff anymore.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Sagacity posted:

There's this retro channel, Modern Vintage Gamer, and literally every video of his is over 10 minutes. There's so much padding I'm not watching his stuff anymore.

hey man it takes a lot of words to explain that an xbox hdmi mod's output looks like absolute poo poo in a way that's extremely obvious to anyone looking

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sagacity posted:

MVG sometimes covered interesting stuff but my God is his delivery so stilted you wouldn't know he's been doing this for over a decade.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

I mean I get that but nothing of Linus' I've watched has made me even feel like letting him autoplay in the background. Most of it seems like unscripted rambling that's been edited down from people that aren't as informed as they want you to think they are.

I mean. I love what GN Steve does and he's very well-informed and right to the point about his information, but good god his videos can be a snooze-fest at times. LTT for better or worse knows how to present in an entertaining way that isn't boring as hell. This can obviously be stupid clickbait stuff that's wrong half the time but well, that's what all of news media has always been.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Shipon posted:

I mean. I love what GN Steve does and he's very well-informed and right to the point about his information, but good god his videos can be a snooze-fest at times. LTT for better or worse knows how to present in an entertaining way that isn't boring as hell. This can obviously be stupid clickbait stuff that's wrong half the time but well, that's what all of news media has always been.

GN's content really isn't suited to visual media. It's a guy reading a well researched article to you.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I still watch MVG because his stuff is relatively infrequent but the most recent one that literally had you watching him punch in cheat codes to alien:resurrection on a PSOne to boot a burned disc was definitely another low point. Sure it's not an exploit per se but had no real interesting info about how it was discovered, why it might have been included or if there was any hint it was known about in any inner circles.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Aware posted:

I still watch MVG because his stuff is relatively infrequent but the most recent one that literally had you watching him punch in cheat codes to alien:resurrection on a PSOne to boot a burned disc was definitely another low point. Sure it's not an exploit per se but had no real interesting info about how it was discovered, why it might have been included or if there was any hint it was known about in any inner circles.

The worst part is the scalper algo shot up a game reasonably priced to 3 figures. Anytime a tech yter reviews old games/hw, expect to never see it priced decent again.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aware posted:

I guess you watched the video but didn’t listen to it at all, then, because he discusses how it was discovered (the dev who coded it told him in response to a previous video) and why it was included (possibly for ease of use while debugging.) He also shows off that TCRF had figured out the code (since it had an audio confirmation sound) but had no idea what it did (checking that it enables a disc loader is a bit far fetched).

Anyway y’all can rest, MVG seems to be going on hiatus so he can spend time with family and poo poo per his recent video.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Since he works for Embracer Group it's probably smart for him to have a backup plan for when he gets laid off.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Arivia posted:

I guess you watched the video but didn’t listen to it at all, then, because he discusses how it was discovered (the dev who coded it told him in response to a previous video) and why it was included (possibly for ease of use while debugging.) He also shows off that TCRF had figured out the code (since it had an audio confirmation sound) but had no idea what it did (checking that it enables a disc loader is a bit far fetched).

Anyway y’all can rest, MVG seems to be going on hiatus so he can spend time with family and poo poo per his recent video.

I'll have to watch it again but my ham addled brain didn't take any of that away from it. All I recall is a short video of him punching codes on a controller :eng99:

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

theultimo posted:

The worst part is the scalper algo shot up a game reasonably priced to 3 figures. Anytime a tech yter reviews old games/hw, expect to never see it priced decent again.

Couldn't care less to be honest, game you will never actually play through is perfectly stable emulated if you really wanted to subject yourself to it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Aware posted:

Couldn't care less to be honest, game you will never actually play through is perfectly stable emulated if you really wanted to subject yourself to it.

Video game piracy is a solved problem in 2023.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Aware posted:

Yeah, everything I've seen of A:R does not make me want to actually play it. It's straight up unfair and is mostly noteworthy for introducing the FPS controls we now deem standard for consoles rather than because anyone wants to play it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Shipon posted:

I have a pretty good idea going into a GN video if it's going to be a bit of a snoozer based on the subject, but I have to disagree with Lienus. I personally don't find him entertaining whatsoever, but tbf I haven't watched a single one of his videos since the whole fiasco. But even before that he annoyed the gently caress out of me with his screechy pre-pubescent voice when he started to get excited.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

slidebite posted:

I have a pretty good idea going into a GN video if it's going to be a bit of a snoozer based on the subject, but I have to disagree with Lienus. I personally don't find him entertaining whatsoever, but tbf I haven't watched a single one of his videos since the whole fiasco. But even before that he annoyed the gently caress out of me with his screechy pre-pubescent voice when he started to get excited.

Today we’re going to do something no one would ever reasonably do, using hardware you’ll never be able to afford, and we’re going to gently caress the whole thing up because I refuse to read manuals. But first, a segue to our sponsor: Dbrand.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

slidebite posted:

Yeah I could never stomach watching any LTT vids because I also find him intensely annoying and also pigheadedly stupid in a “but I know best” way. Tech nerds thinking they are experts in anything tech related is extremely irritating.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Shipon posted:

I'm currently a patron of GN and I can deal with the snooze factor, the information is worth it, but the puffery around their operation has been getting on my nerves more and more lately. I don't need the "nobody else is covering this" or the "we have designed really good processes for measuring fan noise here's our B-roll" in every video about a topic. We know GN is good, that's why we're watching it, act like you've been here before.

I could also do with a lot less of the attempted business analysis in their news segments. Their coverage of the Unity story where they breathlessly reported Riccitello's (scheduled, small-scale, and unsurprising) stock sales was an embarrassing one.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 25, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Branch Nvidian posted:

Today we’re going to do something no one would ever reasonably do, using hardware you’ll never be able to afford, and we’re going to gently caress the whole thing up because I refuse to read manuals. But first, a segue to our sponsor: Dbrand.

"Also, we're going to "accidentally" put the very expensive video card provided by the company for testing purposes into our regular inventory, and auction off the prototype that they requested back multiple time."

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Randalor posted:

"Also, we're going to "accidentally" put the very expensive video card provided by the company for testing purposes into our regular inventory, and auction off the prototype that they requested back multiple time."

"But the money from the auction went to charity. Why do you hate charity, company whose loaned product we trashed in a review we weren't supposed to even do?"

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Steve has a present for everyone complaining that his videos are boring

https://youtu.be/Qt9Pb1sNXBY?si=vZnlEvM6znM4__Vh

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

VostokProgram posted:

Steve has a present for everyone complaining that his videos are boring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt9Pb1sNXBY

Impossibly wholesome content :allears:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i just find gamers nexus to be just a deeply embarrassing channel name

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

watho posted:

just rename to Steve, Thanked

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

watho posted:

av post combo.

I think GN originally did some game reviews and that was where the name came from??? It's unlikely they'll ever change the name due to having built brand recognition around it and it's the name Steve's dad knew, and he's repeatedly spoken about how he does a lot of this for his deceased dad.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Branch Nvidian posted:

av post combo.

I think GN originally did some game reviews and that was where the name came from??? It's unlikely they'll ever change the name due to having built brand recognition around it and it's the name Steve's dad knew, and he's repeatedly spoken about how he does a lot of this for his deceased dad.

If you look, all the original videos were video game first looks, then more actual gameplay vids. With a few "How to be BALLER" clickbait things here and there. This was 14 years ago. It was another 3 years before he started to do some hardware stuff and reviews. Steve with short hair just looks weird, rather than being a reject from The Hobbit casting.

Looks like it was about 9 years ago where they got into benchmarking and the first look of what the channel is now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

watho posted:

it's really too bad that MetalJesusRocks was already taken

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

watho posted:

My favourite for that is Displaced Gamers. Very thoughtful, detailed content that takes a huge amount of skill and time to put together -- and is entertaining, to boot -- I just can't help but cringe when I see the name

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The hellish reality of Youtube that whatever name you're using when your channel takes off is what you're then stuck with forever.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
GN is far from perfect, and I agree that some of their "industry insights" or whatever will make your eyes roll out of your head. BUT! However! You can actually trust their reviews and know they're going to call a turd a turd, and that elevates the channel to like the top .1% of all review channels on youtube.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I respect GN even if I can seldom make it more than 10 minutes into their videos.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Salt Fish posted:

GN is far from perfect, and I agree that some of their "industry insights" or whatever will make your eyes roll out of your head. BUT! However! You can actually trust their reviews and know they're going to call a turd a turd, and that elevates the channel to like the top .1% of all review channels on youtube.

that's why I give them money, and now I can't stop because my eyes have rolled out of my head and bounced down the hallway, help

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

njsykora posted:

The hellish reality of Youtube that whatever name you're using when your channel takes off is what you're then stuck with forever.

For a while you could change how your name appears in YouTube comments but now nope it's whatever your original YouTube screen name was In 2007

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Spaced God posted:

For a while you could change how your name appears in YouTube comments but now nope it's whatever your original YouTube screen name was In 2007

Oh god is that what happened? It's awful.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What I would give for Steam to let me change my login name away from an email address at an ISP that’s been defunct for a decade

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

What I would give for Steam to let me change my login name away from an email address at an ISP that’s been defunct for a decade

This would be such a godsend

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Tiny Timbs posted:

lol agreed, mine is an old YahooMail account I made when I was 12.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mine is just a user name not an email address

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

steam accepts both email and username for login. but the username also has to be whatever your original one was I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Spaced God posted:

If I leave a YouTube comment now it shows up as like RadTeen1995 or something now haha. I'm almost loving 40.