Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
On the subject of "just watch old poo poo", I was scrolling through Youtube TV and found something that was airing New Japan Pro Wrestling. I thought, oh hey, maybe it's airing some stuff from this year, might be good. So I turn it on and it's a G1 show from 2014 that has AJ Styles vs. Minoru Suzuki, Tenzan vs. Goto and Nakamura vs. Ishii. Pretty loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CombineThresher posted:

I recommend this if only because it will reveal that none of the stuff this thread complains about is new; wrestling was and will continue to be incredibly stupid amateur theatre for jocks

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

dromal phrenia posted:

is DDT good? i feel like DDT might be good

DDT's an acquired taste. It's a true variety show so there's bound to be stuff you either don't like or really love on each card. There's a good amount of bullshit, but it never ever expects you take it's bullshit seriously and it almost never touches the main event or the world title.

I always recommend the 4 hour Takeshita champ matches comp they put up on youtube if you want a taste of workrate DDT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQMu5xQU5iw

Some the wacky/creative stuff people have differing opinions on but made DDT's reputation:
Lego Deathmatch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11b-aRxL7NE

The Don't Break The Light Tube Death Match
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSrH4TuKq1I

Their street fights in any and all locations (here's one in the Tokyo Dome with Suzuki), always expect gnarly bumps in these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGPp94whB3k

and here's some of the prime bullshit that people hate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiUO3lmKje0

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

DDT employs Kazuki Hirata who is the best comedy wrestler in the world, man has been saddled with so many dumbshit stipulation matches yet consistently manages to pull gold from the stone

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

it’s time to send jericho back to the fed

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I found an insane post that is from someone who is definitely deep in AEW Hell so here is a Christmas present for u:

quote:

On December 25, 2023, three ghosts visited Antony Khan: one from his past, one from his present, one from his future.

The ghost of Tony's past was Cody Rhodes. A second-generation wrestler who learned the business side of professional wrestling from his late father, "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes, Cody grew disillusioned with the WWE and the creative directions of its figurehead, one Vincent Kennedy McMahon. With the help of Nicholas and Matthew Massie, otherwise known as The Young Bucks, the three produced the biggest non-WWE wrestling show of the past 20 years: All-In. This of course led to Tony's financial backing of what would become All Elite Wrestling; the first real threat to WWE since the demise WCW. Things seemed great, until they weren't. There were rumors of Cody's departure, but pro wrestling journalist David Meltzer reported that Cody wasn't returning to the WWE. However, Rhodes would appear as the mystery opponent of Seth "Freakin" Rollins on night one of WrestleMania 38. Rhode's presentation was a carbon copy of what it was during his time in AEW; the look, the entrance music, even the Codyvator and pyro. It was then that the mumblings about backstage politicking and morale in AEW started to pop up.

The ghost of Tony's present is CM Punk. After almost 8 years away from the squared circle, Tony managed to pull off the impossible and convince Punk to come out of retirement in what was arguably one of the biggest returns in the history of professional wrestling. Punk was that mainstream star AEW needed, and as one professor Scott Rechsteiner once said: the numbers don't lie. Punk consistently boosted ratings, ticket sales, and was a top merch mover. However, pro wrestling has always been a clash of egos, and Punk was at odds with the remaining EVPS of AEW: The Elite. After two backstage incidents that lead to his termination, Punk returned to the WWE and instantly became a difference maker. Once again, questions about politicking and morale in the AEW locker rooms began circulating.

The ghost of Tony's future is MJF. Although currently still employed by AEW and is the company's reigning world champion, MJF has received praise from both Rhodes and Punk, and was brought into AEW at the request of Rhodes. MJF has been compared to some of the best talkers in the history of professional wrestling, and will almost certainly end up with the WWE to further advance his career and cement his legacy. After all, the era of giants and hulking maniacs is over. People now tune into wrestling to see compelling storylines and relatable characters, and MJF checks those boxes multiple times over. The ball is in Tony's court on this one, but as he learned during a head-to-head clash against WWE's own NXT, they can and will make him look like an inexperienced fool.

Punk and Cody's WWE homecomings are the culmination of all of Tony's insecurities, inexperience in professional wrestling, and lack of leadership come to roost. His stagnation in creativity, his inability to book women's wrestling, and his refusal to take direction from industry vets and hire a booker and creative team have started to tarnish his reputation. In an age where there is finally an alternative to the overproduced spectacle that is the WWE, Tony still clings onto this delusion that he can control the narrative, that he alone can topple the "Bald Assholes" who made a laughingstock of him on their C show, that gaslighting and favoritism are what is necessary to keep his empire from crumbling into rubble under the heel of TKO.

And yet, it was two of his former stars that proved him wrong. The way WWE have treated Cody and Punk will be cited as a major reason that other AEW wrestlers will follow in the footsteps of Jade Cargill and Brian Pillman Jr., if not the MAIN reason they decide to rededicate their lives to a new cause, which will not only gain them new fans, but also a global platform to gain some recognition and prepare for a life outside of professional wrestling. Go to any forum or comments section and you will see dozens of messages from people talking about how ridiculously over Cody and Punk are, or how Triple H and HBK have already made Brian Pillman Jr, now known as Lexis King, feel like a star in the making.

If the rise of AEW and the fall of Vince McMahon lit the spark, then Triple H is the blazing bonfire that gave life to this new era we find ourselves in. That simple, subtle way he retaliates against his competition without even acknowledging them is the antithesis to everything AEW, within only four short years, seems to stand for.

On December 25th, 2023, three ghosts came back to remind Tony Khan of the immortal words of Captain Lou Albano, now relayed through Mr. 11 soft himself, Big Sexy Kevin Nash: The only things that are real in professional wrestling are the money and the miles. And if you're not down with that, I've got two words for ya:

Too Sweet.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I ain’t reading that

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Same be this happened to me in 2009

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

quote:

AEW wrestlers will follow in the footsteps of Jade Cargill and Brian Pillman Jr

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Sometimes wrestlers will wrestle somewhere and then they’ll leave and wrestle somewhere else when it’s time for places to freshen up. WOW what a take.

Wrestling commentary is the drizzling shits.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I ain’t reading that

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
mjf, current world champion, ghost of Christmas future

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Incessant Excess posted:

mjf, current world champion, ghost of Christmas future

CM Punk, fired in disgrace and now a Saudi propaganda tool, ghost of christmas present

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

all these pillman jr style success stories are going to sink aew for sure

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

I found an insane post that is from someone who is definitely deep in AEW Hell so here is a Christmas present for u:

That’s an old Reddit copypasta

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

jericho needs to shut the gently caress up.

one of the best couple of weeks of television in the company's history and once again all anyone is talking about again is loving brawl out.

tony should just cut ties with anyone who wants to draw out the brawl out / punk drama any further. jericho, the bucks and allies/nepo hires, jack perry, and anyone else can go to the fed and do a heavily scripted remake version of the conflict with cm punk about it if they're so mad and can't get over it.

the C2 happened in spite of all of the dummies involved in the ongoing re-litigation of that drama, not because of them. look at all the people who worked their rear end off in the C2. there's your foundation of AEW going forward. the BCC, RUSH, Swerve, Brody King, Jay White, Andrade, DG, Eddie, Jay Briscoe: give em all raises and anyone else who wants to keep embarrassing the company can go!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

And on Christmas of all days!

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

I ain’t reading that

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In fairness to Jericho, Cornette's dumbass lawyer is the one raising a stink about it. Jericho should probably just keep it to himself but even I'm getting kind of annoyed watching Cornette-adjacent morons go on and on and on about this poo poo trying to score points against AEW while everybody from AEW has just kept their mouths shut for a year and a half.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MJeff posted:

In fairness to Jericho, Cornette's dumbass lawyer is the one raising a stink about it. Jericho should probably just keep it to himself but even I'm getting kind of annoyed watching Cornette-adjacent morons go on and on and on about this poo poo trying to score points against AEW while everybody from AEW has just kept their mouths shut for a year and a half.

Yeah Jericho is just saying "If you don't tell the truth about Brawl Out I'm not under an NDA either" which tracks from what reporting there's been about the situation. Punk's NDA not covering Hangman specifically is what springs to mind.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Wrestling Twitter is truly unsalvageable if Cornette's dipshit lawyer is getting any kind of platform

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I ain’t reading that

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

no idea what this twitter Jericho bullshit you’re all talking about is, and I don’t care.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

no idea what this twitter Jericho bullshit you’re all talking about is, and I don’t care.

We've moved on.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

you can’t hide from it forever

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It’s Christmas, I should not have to hear about Chris Jericho’s tweets

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't think a lifetime contract with Shibata is a very good idea. So what, he's 65, can't wrestle, and you're still paying him? Sounds like a scam

While he couldn't wrestle he was doing a bang up job training young lions at the LA Dojo, Id imagine thats a big part of wanting him long term.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JUNGLE BOY posted:

jericho needs to shut the gently caress up.

one of the best couple of weeks of television in the company's history and once again all anyone is talking about again is loving brawl out.

tony should just cut ties with anyone who wants to draw out the brawl out / punk drama any further. jericho, the bucks and allies/nepo hires, jack perry, and anyone else can go to the fed and do a heavily scripted remake version of the conflict with cm punk about it if they're so mad and can't get over it.

the C2 happened in spite of all of the dummies involved in the ongoing re-litigation of that drama, not because of them. look at all the people who worked their rear end off in the C2. there's your foundation of AEW going forward. the BCC, RUSH, Swerve, Brody King, Jay White, Andrade, DG, Eddie, Jay Briscoe: give em all raises and anyone else who wants to keep embarrassing the company can go!

Thought resurrections are Easter, not Christmas???

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

It’s Christmas, I should not have to hear about Chris Jericho’s tweets

Then tell the family to stop talking about it

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Christmas is about Jesus Christ, as in "Jesus Christ people are still going on about this bullshit???"

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
I'm a messy bitch who loves drama but finds Twitter unworkable so I'd love to hear what's happened.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Skulker posted:

I'm a messy bitch who loves drama but finds Twitter unworkable so I'd love to hear what's happened.

Punk’s lawyer said the only person who saw brawl out and isn’t subject to an NDA was Ace Steel’s wife and maybe someday she’d tell everyone the real story, Jericho chimed in to say he wasn’t under any NDA either and he also saw it.

Lawyer told him to go check his contract or whatever and Jericho did a big wordy response telling him to get hosed and hinted that what he saw (and so what he’d be able to say since he’s apparently not under an NDA) was bad for Punk and co.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
And I'm inclined to believe Jericho, because if Ace Steel's wife had anything relevant to say that made the situation look like anything besides "Punk lured these guys into an ambush and then tried to beat the gently caress out of them.", we would've heard it by now.

We know Jericho saw it, you can see him at the All Out press scrum saying "Some poo poo went down." to Tony Khan, meaning it had all already happened before Jericho sat down.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

This crap smells [not me or anything related to me. nice try]

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

it just doesn’t really matter at this point and is once again just embarrassing the company with 18 month old drama

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

JUNGLE BOY posted:

it just doesn’t really matter at this point and is once again just embarrassing the company with 18 month old drama

Punk and Steele are the ones bringing it up through Cornette's dumbfuck lawyer, man.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Cavauro posted:

This crap smells [not me or anything related to me. nice try]

turn on your moni ah gently caress

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

JUNGLE BOY posted:

It matters in that Punk and Co are still interested in preserving the appearance that he's somehow more legit than Bucks and Co, despite both sides being equally authentic or not. Carnies gonna carn.

I know people wanna poo poo on Jungle Boy (not JUNGLE BOY), but what he did was also as carnie as it gets. Hell, for all the talk of "it's disappointing the Bucks didn't wanna play up that angle for a big feud," Jungle Boy's actions could very well have been the same and we see how interested Punk was in exploring that. It's only a good idea to get meta and carnie if it comes from Phil, otherwise you're the problem.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
But also argue against me and make fun of my post if you'd like but I don't have any other posts about this poo poo to poop out anymore. I gotta save up my energies for this gentleman from Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

i just don’t think there’s anything to gain by swimming in the mud with cornette, last, and hausman