Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Looks like the american version of a karelian pasty with egg butter.

Now THAT'S some good scran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
There's a new Bangladeshi place in town that does grilled curried mackerel as a specialty and it's absolutely delicious.

Mackerel used to be my fallback poverty food when I worked retail in my 20s. I would ride my bicycle down to the local lighthouse with my cheap rear end combo rod, and cast out a string of feathered hooks, it would only usually take 5 or 6 casts to get dinner. If you were too slow on the retrieve you would get Pollock (flakey but bland) and if you reeled in too quick you would get needlefish (delicious but fiddly).

I used to gut them and stuff them with onion/tomato/butter/paprika/seasoning and then wrap them up tight in foil and bake until flakey.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Crazy Achmed posted:

I used to frequent a little Egyptian/sudanese place that did grilled fish, salad and peanut sauce in pita bread. It was amazing stuff.

Sounds almost like tarator sauce, but with peanuts instead of walnuts. D'you remember what fish they were using?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/JBWaezO.mp4

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

zone posted:

Sounds almost like tarator sauce, but with peanuts instead of walnuts. D'you remember what fish they were using?

Nope but it was a fairly generic white fish, probably whatever was cheap. The peanut sauce was a little bit creamy and very tasty without being too heavy.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

I want that jianbing

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Xpost

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I need the wettest sandwich you got

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

*Steve Jobs throws prototype sandwich into aquarium* look, bubbles came out, it can be even wetter

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Grand Fromage posted:

[Hans Moleman] no, that's too wet

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I remember going to a place, it might have been called Portillos? when we visited Chicago for a wedding. They did an Italian beef sub with 4 levels of gravy, up to and including taking the sandwich in tongs and fully submerging it in the gravy before wrapping. That seemed too far.

They also put an entire slice of heavy chocolate cake into a chocolate thickshake. Wildly decadent place.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Grand Fromage posted:

I used to work at a sub place (not subways) and I remember there were a lot of presumably vegetarian people who would come in and order sandwiches with basically every vegetable topping on it plus some sauces and the result was always just a big hunk of wet between the bread. It must have tasted pretty good, but sometimes people would go one step further and order this in a lettuce wrap instead of a sandwich, so I'd have to go to our heads of lettuce and take the biggest leaves I could to layer to try and contain a selection of, like, sauerkraut, lettuce, tomato, avocado, pickles, and pickled peppers, topped with mayo and vinegar. And if any of this broke in people's hands because they'd not considered the structural integrity of their lettuce wrap and maybe they should pad it out with a black bean patty, I'd get yelled at.

I no longer work there.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

ReelBigLizard posted:

They also put an entire slice of heavy chocolate cake into a chocolate thickshake. Wildly decadent place.

They put mayonnaise in the chocolate cake too

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Grand Fromage posted:

please reference josh scherer's "tony cachere's wet dream" burger and/or birra de res hotdog, both of which he has described at length, as "the wettest sandwich ever"

I don't think you actually want the wettest sandwich

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Waste of Breath posted:

They put mayonnaise in the chocolate cake too

Eh that’s just a shortcut either eggs and oil already cooked and emulsified.

But Portillo’s sucks since they were bought out by private equity.

Dipped isn’t even the wettest, try Baptized.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
https://i.imgur.com/VSUZ2zO.mp4
Fish Lattice

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I love the effort of creating a delicate patterned fish plate and then just punching an onion and ripping off a chunk of bread heel to pair with it. Although I guess this is a "I don't even own a knife" kind of meal

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
He is going to hurt his hand if he keeps doing onions like that.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

I need the driest sandwich you got

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The 'dine thread is leaking

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

I remember going to a place, it might have been called Portillos? when we visited Chicago for a wedding. They did an Italian beef sub with 4 levels of gravy, up to and including taking the sandwich in tongs and fully submerging it in the gravy before wrapping. That seemed too far.

Yeah, that'd be Portillo's. A fully dipped Italian beef is actually super amazing. I'm much more dubious about the Gloop Sandwich With Fritos above.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Smugworth posted:

The 'dine thread is leaking

Reverse order

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Same as the last fish sandwich, I think it'd be good with a little tartar sauce or some other kind of sauce

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

What kind of fish is that? At first glance before the video fully loaded I thought they were krill or something, but they look semi transparent.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
A kind of smelt.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

bees

https://i.imgur.com/zwRv98y.mp4

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Well, at least the place has got some buzz about it.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

no why

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The crunch

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
There's GOT to be a better way!!!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

that's too many bees

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

I need the bee-est sandwich you got

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Beads?

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I like my sandwiches like I like my coffee... COVERED IN BEES!!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Good ol' pee bee & j

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Beans.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

https://i.imgur.com/vX4iIYS.mp4

Munich, Germany

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 28, 2023

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Why yes, I believe I will kome in :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I returned to Switzerland 37-years after I lived there. I was pleasantly shocked at the proliferation of doner kebab shops.

Switzerland's very insular; kind of like Japan. When we lived there in the '70s they had a ballot referendum to throw all of the foreigners (including us) out. It failed, but not by much. My parents were dismayed as we had moved there only the year before, and the pain of an international house move hadn't worn off yet.