Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Rabelais D posted:

The early shot of Kora farming in front of the moon beats anything in Villeneuve's Dune. Gorgeous movie.
Really? I found the the whole scene of her with the planet behind her really fake and flat. In fact, that initial shot is probably my least favorite of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You need suspension of disbelief to keep your pants of disbelief from falling down.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

YggdrasilTM posted:

Really? I found the the whole scene of her with the planet behind her really fake and flat. In fact, that initial shot is probably my least favorite of the movie.
That shot was super cliche and trite. The ol’ shot of touching dirt or wheat or whatever is so tired by now. The planet in the background also felt like something added into the movie after someone just played No Man’s Sky.

I’d go so far as to claim there wasn’t a single original thing in the entire film. Just one trope after another without thought as to if it would fit together.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You're telling me that they made a space opera movie that's derivative? Why, such a thing is unprecedented.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Am I the only person who thought that at the end they were leading to a reveal that the blond girl is really the princess? If they show that in the sequel, they missed a chance to put it at the end as a more interesting cliffhanger.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

sbaldrick posted:

The only way this could have worked if it Synder had gone all in on his fascism love and made the Rebels old school religious traditionalist fighting against the Federation from Star Trek.

This is what I mean about Snyder deserving better haters. This dude's convinced the feudal space kingdom with a divine right doctrine is "a piss poor understanding of the Roman Empire" but then complete misses that the village the rebels are defending actually is a conservative religious settlement.

That poo poo's established in like the first 15 minutes! Imagine how much harder you could have attacked the film if you actually watched it first.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Sorry, dude, I'd absolutely put that sequence above any equivalent in Villeneuve's Dune. :shrug:
Though chips on the table, I felt Dune did bombast very well but was only serviceable outside of those moments.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 25, 2023

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Bongo Bill posted:

You're telling me that they made a space opera movie that's derivative? Why, such a thing is unprecedented.

He came with a trope checklist. You know he’s a professional. Dirt? Check. Space? Check.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That shot of her against the planet by itself is good but the way it cuts from and to it and nothing else in the movie looks like it makes it stick out badly and feel too artificial.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I thought Villeneuve's Dune did scale really well and I think it does it better than Rebel Moon. But the set design was really flat, whereas it was super good in Rebel Moon - it felt super lived in and dirty and was the most "Star Wars" aspect of the film. Dune's was lifeless by comparison. I still liked Dune but I find myself enjoying Lynch's Dune more.

I'm not going to tear down one sci-fi film to prop up another since goodness knows we could use more sci-fi epics in our lives. Both have things going for them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

YggdrasilTM posted:

The way it's shot and framed, panning down with the title card, it sorta looked like the start of a stage play to me -- emblematic of like a curtain opening, that sort of energy -- and I loved that.

[edit]

sbaldrick posted:

The only way this could have worked if it Synder had gone all in on his fascism love and made the Rebels old school religious traditionalist fighting against the Federation from Star Trek.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 25, 2023

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I mean, have you ever touched wheat? Don't knock it until you've tried it.

I should have a chance to watch this in a few days.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

H13 posted:

The same thing applies for any sleight-of-hand or magic trick.

If you see a move, it'll ruin the trick even if you can't explain the move, just knowing it's there is enough to make you go "Oh wait this is a trick"

Meanwhile, if you don't see anything, when the reveal happens it'll land and for a brief moment you'll think: "gently caress that was magic!"

at no point while observing a magic trick have I ever thought "magic is real", however briefly. the joy is in seeing the trick done well

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

That shot of her against the planet by itself is good but the way it cuts from and to it and nothing else in the movie looks like it makes it stick out badly and feel too artificial.

I have no problems with the "touch the earth" idea, but you can reaaaally taste the green screen behind her. It has no depth and the planet is incredibly fake.

JazzFlight posted:

Am I the only person who thought that at the end they were leading to a reveal that the blond girl is really the princess? If they show that in the sequel, they missed a chance to put it at the end as a more interesting cliffhanger.

An interesting idea would be to put the princess on the villains side in the next movie. Honestly, using her as the reason why the Jimmy rebelled would be quite lame.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 25, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

checkplease posted:

I do think the end of the fight isn’t edited the best and hoping the longer cut cleans it up. I agree, we all know she’s still got two swords in free hands.

But it’s important to keep in mind that the spider woman was doomed already. First we know that mining has killed her offspring likely making her the last of her kind. Next, she approaches initially trying to bargain saying that her path of terrorism is justified. And even if she kills Nemesis, Kora has her gun ready to shoot the spider.

Really the end is just the spider making sure her executioner looks her in the eye one last time. Maybe a hope for her cause to be remembered, a new reason to fight. Maybe a final acknowledgment that terrorism isn’t the path.

Nemesis had inflicted some pretty grisly wounds on Harmada throughout the fight, and landed several fatal blows after igniting her lava swords. At that end when she grabs Nemesis, I feel as if Harmada was doing the whole suicide by cop thing. I do agree it could've been conveyed better though -- maybe there's a bit of missing dialogue that'll come back in the extended edition. In the PG13 cut, you really have to extropolate a lot of the reasoning from the intial conversation between Nemesis and Harmada and what Nemesis has to say in the aftermath of Harmada's death in order for that sort of reading to work, so I totally understand the criticisms. Still though, Nemesis does so much anime posturing that I love, so I'm willing to look past the flaws and engage more with that I think is cool about the sequence :haw:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Rabelais D posted:

The early shot of Kora farming in front of the moon beats anything in Villeneuve's Dune.

okay, now I'm mad

e:

Schwarzwald posted:

Sorry, dude, I'd absolutely put that sequence above any equivalent in Villeneuve's Dune. :shrug:
Though chips on the table, I felt Dune did bombast very well but was only serviceable outside of those moments.

omfg

kalel fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 25, 2023

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

In what way?

not gonna waste my time just to get picked apart by culties...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Farg posted:

If you did not wish to discuss cinema, why have you come to Cinema Discusso?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I’m a bit more than halfway through Rebel Moon and the my biggest issue is the breakneck pace once they start assembling the squad. It’s kind of confusing they’re dropping the movie in “theatrical” and “directors cut” when it’s mostly only on streaming anyway. But Netflix definitely wants to double dip I feel on subscribers.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Farg posted:

Welcome to being probed for the next two weeks instead :twisted:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Schwarzwald posted:

the village the rebels are defending actually is a conservative religious settlement.

That poo poo's established in like the first 15 minutes! Imagine how much harder you could have attacked the film if you actually watched it first.

This hit me right away because of how Kora won't be considered an actual member of the village til she marries someone and also Gunnar, Gunnar is the most open minded person there! I loved that because when Noble is conversing with the leader and Gunnar speaks up, you're expecting him to be like Theron in 300, instead he's the only reason Noble doesn't just have his troops massacre everyone right then and there.

The solutions the leader and later the rest of the village has are peak cinservatism, either give them absolutely nothing, or let's just do exactly what we've been doing only even harder and next time things will be better I'm sure of it! And of course they are, look at the culture of this empire that dominates so much of the galaxy.

Kora and (not to the full extent but still) Gunnar are the only ones that realize how this poo poo actually goes down with empires.

Interested to see if part 2 makes that more obvious, that even i directly their culture can be inspired by the empire over time.

"Once more we survive. In the end, we lost this battle too.

What?

I mean, the victory belongs to those peasants. Not to us."

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 25, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I mean, have you ever touched wheat? Don't knock it until you've tried it.

I should have a chance to watch this in a few days.

Plenty of ppl itt need to go touch wheat

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 25, 2023

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

As a non CD poster who likes some of Zach Snyder’s stuff, it’s incredibly bizarre to see multiple people levying personal attacks at posters who didn’t like the movie.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

I have no problems with the "touch the earth" idea, but you can reaaaally taste the green screen behind her. It has no depth and the planet is incredibly fake.

jesus you're thick. obviously, the fact that that scene looks fake and dumb is a commentary on star wars ripoffs looking fake and dumb

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

kalel posted:

jesus you're thick. obviously, the fact that that scene looks fake and dumb is a commentary on star wars ripoffs looking fake and dumb

It helps if you mock what people have actually said just fyi

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Flowers for QAnon posted:

As a non CD poster who likes some of Zach Snyder’s stuff, it’s incredibly bizarre to see multiple people levying personal attacks at posters who didn’t like the movie.

Seems more like it's less personal attacks and more snark in response to drive-by shitposting claiming Zack Snyder is fash/cynical without any sort of elaboration, and also being schooled in filmic concepts like belief suspenders.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Watching "it's like an AI made it" become the dominant catchphrase for "I didn't like it" in realtime and it's bumming me out.

I came here to post this thinking it was an original take :(

But yeah, film was pretty awful. I think an R rated version would be better but I don't see how it could save this mess of a film.

Good on Snyder taking Netflixes money though.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Hmmm I’ve seen very few person insults outside of calling people cult members which is a very personal and uncalled for attack :shrug:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In fairness, I am a cult member. I've got the gang tag and everything.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I prefer term “sicko” and want that to be respected

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

kalel posted:

okay, now I'm mad

e:

omfg

It's honestly tricky to compare the two because beyond the technical aspects you're also engaging with very distinct aesthetics.

Like, which looks better: Star Trek: The Motion Picture or Flash Gordon? There's a lot to be said for the craft in both films but at the end of the day Star Trek is going for a look that's believably fantastic while Flash looks like if Lisa Frank decided to stop loving around and get serious. How someone feels about that is probably going to matter way more to a person then how each film uses its lenses.

Dune is primarily interested in portraying the very vast (which it does quite well) and portraying the very intimate quarters of the nobility (which it does fine). That shot of Kora on the planet is wide open but also personal and is operating at something of a middle scale that Dune largely avoids. Which approach you like more is going to be a matter of taste.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 25, 2023

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The problem with new Dune is that Lynch Dune exists and you always wondering where the battle pug and cat milker are going to show up.

Here we get some space Conans riding giant birds and goo bag vr at least.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Guy A. Person posted:

Hmmm I’ve seen very few person insults outside of calling people cult members which is a very personal and uncalled for attack :shrug:

I think people are coming in here expecting to drop their hot takes and not expecting push back. Push back is for cultists/Sickos. But this is a discussion place…

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I enjoy the aesthetics of both Dune and Rebel Moon, but can understand the why of how someone would prefer one or the other. I'd say Dune is very sterile/neat and minimalist with its visuals, where Rebel Moon is very sweaty/grimey and maximalist. That said, I personally am very partial to how Zack photographs the human form so Rebel Moon wins for me solely on that metric lol. Despite how chopped up his scenes were, I enjoyed Djimon as Titus simply because he looked absolutely ridiculous in the Snyder aesthetic haha.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Thread’s getting many of lengthy posts from people who don’t usually go to the movie forum, mulling over ideas like ‘the basic concept of fiction’, so it seems like the movie’s a success.

Like when Snyder Cut came out, and people were suddenly really interested in aspect ratios.

See also: the nerds whose main forum contribution is speculating on future MCU installments and conjuring up top 10 lists of various film franchises, suddenly commenting on editing and other formal qualities after the release of Suicide Squad.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

teagone posted:

I enjoy the aesthetics of both Dune and Rebel Moon, but can understand the why of how someone would prefer one or the other. I'd say Dune is very sterile/neat and minimalist with its visuals, where Rebel Moon is very sweaty/grimey and maximalist. That said, I personally am very partial to how Zack photographs the human form so Rebel Moon wins for me solely on that metric lol. Despite how chopped up his scenes were, I enjoyed Djimon as Titus simply because he looked absolutely ridiculous in the Snyder aesthetic haha.

Oh, I'm a sucker for Villeneuve minimalism in Dune, that for sure.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Dune is such a good looking flick. Love is aesthetic

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dune is amazing and nothing can really top the Harkonnen chant scene.

There’s room in this world both cool aesthetics.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

kalel posted:

Don't be a loser, posting in the rlm thread about the perfidious snyder crew then coming here to make unfunny poo poo posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016