Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Clerical Terrors posted:

Going back to what trilobite terror posted earlier I think a lot of it makes sense if you consider that maybe James didn't make videos because he wanted to do analysis, but because he wanted to be known as a filmmaker and he treated the Youtube stuff like part of a job that'd pay for it. So he approached it like a disinterested high schooler approaches their class assignments and didn't bother engaging, instead he just sought out a bunch of stuff other people had written on the subjects, loosely cobbled it together and turned it in to get his views and his money. And it worked so he never had any reason to question it.

Nodding along,

Additionally, it seems like he could have kept the ruse going a while longer, if he didn't start throwing piss fits, and attracting attention of other creators. He got greedy for fame and prestige.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
two hulking guards usher a man into a darkened room. he has a bag over his head occluding his face, he cannot see where he is

disembodied male voice: Welcome, Mister Somerton.

the bag is removed, exposing James Somerton’s face. he winces, as though his eyes haven’t seen light for some time. as he scans around, the audience can see that he is in what appears to be a well-appointed man cave-like sitting room: the home office of a very wealthy man. american flags, expensive baseball memorabilia, and other similarly jingoistic and decidedly masculine touches abound but everything is professionally decorated and maintained and there is an unmistakable feminine influence throughout, as though a veritable army of unseen domestics is ultimately responsible for the upkeep of this stately home.

female voice: Nick said that we could trust you. He said that we might be able to make use of somebody with your unique set of skills.

James: Oh y-y-yeah? Nick and I don't talk anymore. And who’s we?

female voice: That's alright. Nick talked plenty when we got our hands on him. He couldn't stop telling us all about you.

male voice: We are a society of…individuals…of free thinkers and artists and documentarians. We are truth-tellers. All of us have been greatly wronged by society, much like yourself. You have lost much, Mister Somerton.

James: (tearing up, his voice cracking) W-what...is this about YouTube? Are you guys g-gonna kill me?! For making youtube videos and borrowing some words?!

other male voice: On the contrary, Mister Somerton! We want to offer you a job. A very good job, with healthy pay and benefits......and the opportunity for revenge.

original male voice: Revenge against the Bomber Man.

female voice: Revenge against all of the gays that shunned you.

a middle aged man strides forward from the shadows. He is dressed in a black cloak

James: Kevin Spacey?!

Kevin Spacey: That’s right Mister Somerton. The very same. I've been a big fan of yours. I've watched all of your videos in my exile from Hollywood. All of us here are big fans.

one by one, six more hooded figures emerge from the shadows around the actor

Kevin Spacey: Allow me to introduce some of my compatriots: here we have award-winning children's entertainer Colleen Ballinger, genius computer hacker and activist Richard Stallman, Elon Musk the CEO of Tesla, Neuralink, and X, formerly Twitter, Chef Pii the inventor of Pink Sauce, and of course our gracious host, Tucker Carlson. These are but some of the illustrious members of our League.

You look confused, Mister Somerton. For that, I don’t blame you. There will be plenty of time for explanations in the near future.

For now, all you need to know is that the only thing standing between the life that you think you understand and the complete annihilation of free expression in the universe is us.

cut to black

THE UNCANCELLABLES

written and directed by Max Landis

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

B33rChiller posted:

Nodding along,

Additionally, it seems like he could have kept the ruse going a while longer, if he didn't start throwing piss fits, and attracting attention of other creators. He got greedy for fame and prestige.

See also iilluminaughtii, who probably could have kept raking in hundreds of thousands of per-video views and a ton of sponsorship money ripping off existing documentaries into perpetuity had she not inexplicably decided it would be a good idea to try and publicly square up with Legal Eagle over the use of an After Effects plugin.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Endorph posted:

i dont think that person was saying 'how dare you post tucker carlson, you CHUD' just 'i have embeds turned off and that video wasnt really labelled as anything so i got jumpscared by the existence of tucker carlson'

I assumed this as well.
(No not just because I am too lazy to figure out embeds)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

DeafNote posted:

I assumed this as well.
(No not just because I am too lazy to figure out embeds)

I think you have to opt in for YouTube embeds in settings, unlike Twitter embeds which are on by default.

Froghammer posted:

That's me misinterpreting those posts 100%. He's still a piece of poo poo either way

Yeah it's no big deal, like this stuff is impossible to grasp unless you're neck deep in social media fads which I wouldn't recommend to anyone

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 25, 2023

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Endorph posted:

i dont think that person was saying 'how dare you post tucker carlson, you CHUD' just 'i have embeds turned off and that video wasnt really labelled as anything so i got jumpscared by the existence of tucker carlson'

i completely forgot this was a thing.

[looks forlornly at my own post about not assuming] i am the rear end of u and me....

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yeah, like, all that I'm left to assume is he's an echoing void of a personality, and has been skating by faking and stealing poo poo most of his life if none of this felt out-of-pocket to him. Like what does he do with his time here on this earth??? Does he just turn off and stare at a wall?

I mean the most charitable possible view would be that he actually does want to make Proper Movies from a place of passion and not just money, and the lack of movie output wasn't because Telos was a grift but because he was either completely creatively bereft and didn't know how to fix that, or because he was trying to write His Own Actual Content and failing to measure up to the quality of the words he was stealing, and knew he couldn't release anything without people asking questions about why it didn't remotely measure up to the level of his day-to-day output

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sydin posted:

See also iilluminaughtii, who probably could have kept raking in hundreds of thousands of per-video views and a ton of sponsorship money ripping off existing documentaries into perpetuity had she not inexplicably decided it would be a good idea to try and publicly square up with Legal Eagle over the use of an After Effects plugin.

not exactly the same thing you're thinking about, but I have been thinking recently about the political/social/etc dynamics of "cancellation" and who can be successfully cancelled and whatnot.

Like this is not to play a dirge on my metaphoric violin for James or anything like that, or to extend any undue sympathy, etc, but it's fair to say that a large number- probably a majority at this point- of the people who know about him and who've seen the hbomberguy video aren't queer themselves, or makers/consumers of queer nonfiction media; and a good number of them probably come from a more general audience or even an "edgier" one (ie definitely not anybody who would claim to be harmed by his actions).

I dunno. I guess my TLDR is that it's wild how somebody like Internet Historian, with Internet Historian's audience and fanbase, is never really gonna see any consequences from this type of stuff, or from the hbomberguy video. He might get hit with the occasional strike and professional criticism like what happened to Man In Cave, and that might cost him time and labor and some money, but he's never gonna have his career or his life derailed by it in the way that James was literally run off of the internet and completely obliterated from orbit. Like James will be spotted in real life. FD Signifier recently told a story of being identified and approached in a restaurant, so the idea that somebody won't be like "oh hey you're that gay plagiarist guy" to James at like a HoJo's is pretty unrealistic.

The general viewers and casuals brought to Internet Historian content by the algorithm/virality won't care. The vast majority of his subscribers clearly don't care. And he's personally anonymous, so whatever flack Internet Historian the brand picks up, the man behind the channel and the brand is always going to be fine.

What's worse is that the sizeable Chud contingent of Internet Historian's base thinks it's good and fine and chad that he plagiarized from a cuck journalist, or that the wokescolds think it's problematic. Some of those guys probably even got in on the James bashing because lolcow.

Again, I don't actually have a thesis with any of this. Just spitballing about how nakedly partisan poo poo like basic professionalism and ethics has become

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 25, 2023

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

This was really entertaining and the eventual answer to the source is great.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

i, too, got jumpscared by the existence of both kevin spacey and tucker carlson

what an indictment of them both

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Grondoth posted:

i, too, got jumpscared by the existence of both kevin spacey and tucker carlson

what an indictment of them both

Had to laugh the other day when a podcast was discussing "what's the lowest moment in Call of Duty history" and the discussion immediately ended at "the one where you can play as disgraced pedophile Kevin Spacey", no second candidate offered in comparison

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Sydin posted:

Her's was pure golden projection too.
Breaking out accusations of plagiarism.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

claw game handjob posted:

Had to laugh the other day when a podcast was discussing "what's the lowest moment in Call of Duty history" and the discussion immediately ended at "the one where you can play as disgraced pedophile Kevin Spacey", no second candidate offered in comparison

I don't think you play as him do you? You can press X to pay respects to his fictional dead son though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
yes his "son"

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Fil5000 posted:

I don't think you play as him do you? You can press X to pay respects to his fictional dead son though.

They made it sound like he was a multiplayer skin option. I did not know enough to fact-check.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

claw game handjob posted:

They made it sound like he was a multiplayer skin option. I did not know enough to fact-check.

Oh fair enough, I only played the campaign on that one. And then not all of it because I got bored.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Yeah likewise without trying to gin up any undeserved sympathy for Somerton there is definitely an aspect of this whole situation where people who never heard of James until hbomb's video dropped are vehemently joining the dogpile because they *want* to be able to vilify a queer creator without being accused of bigotry and James now presents a publicly acceptable target to do so. These folks don't even really care all that much what Somerton's been accused of or the people he hurt with his actions, they're just happy for an excuse to be allowed to attack somebody who's openly gay. This part really sucks!

To your other point it's what hbomb also talked about in regards to stuff like Melania plagiarizing Michelle Obama: plagiarizing shows a lack of respect for the one you're stealing from, and if you audience also doesn't respect that person then they're a lot less likely to care that you stole from them. IH stole from people his audience thinks are sub-human, so they don't give a poo poo and might even think it's cool and good that he re-packaged their work into a form they enjoy. Somerton stole from and exploited his own community, and as a result that community is rightly extremely hurt and angry over it. There's also an aspect that Somerton's audience is/was significantly more left-leaning than IH's, despite his weird misogyny (or hell let's be honest, *because* of it in an uncomfortable number of leftist circles) and a left-leaning audience is usually much more likely to bail on you if you're outed as an rear end in a top hat as opposed to "rallying around the flag", as it were.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fun hater posted:

i completely forgot this was a thing.

[looks forlornly at my own post about not assuming] i am the rear end of u and me....

Delphisage left a deep curse on this thread

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I mean the most charitable possible view would be that he actually does want to make Proper Movies from a place of passion and not just money, and the lack of movie output wasn't because Telos was a grift but because he was either completely creatively bereft and didn't know how to fix that, or because he was trying to write His Own Actual Content and failing to measure up to the quality of the words he was stealing, and knew he couldn't release anything without people asking questions about why it didn't remotely measure up to the level of his day-to-day output

True, that might be part of this issue. I don't know though, I guess even when I get into a writer's block funk, grabbing a movie or TV series to throw on just feels like such a common comfort cope. It's uncanny to me, I guess, how little media he seemed to personally engage with.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

trilobite terror posted:

not exactly the same thing you're thinking about, but I have been thinking recently about the political/social/etc dynamics of "cancellation" and who can be successfully cancelled and whatnot.

Like this is not to play a dirge on my metaphoric violin for James or anything like that, or to extend any undue sympathy, etc, but it's fair to say that a large number- probably a majority at this point- of the people who know about him and who've seen the hbomberguy video aren't queer themselves, or makers/consumers of queer nonfiction media; and a good number of them probably come from a more general audience or even an "edgier" one (ie definitely not anybody who would claim to be harmed by his actions).

I dunno. I guess my TLDR is that it's wild how somebody like Internet Historian, with Internet Historian's audience and fanbase, is never really gonna see any consequences from this type of stuff, or from the hbomberguy video. He might get hit with the occasional strike and professional criticism like what happened to Man In Cave, and that might cost him time and labor and some money, but he's never gonna have his career or his life derailed by it in the way that James was literally run off of the internet and completely obliterated from orbit. Like James will be spotted in real life. FD Signifier recently told a story of being identified and approached in a restaurant, so the idea that somebody won't be like "oh hey you're that gay plagiarist guy" to James at like a HoJo's is pretty unrealistic.

The general viewers and casuals brought to Internet Historian content by the algorithm/virality won't care. The vast majority of his subscribers clearly don't care. And he's personally anonymous, so whatever flack Internet Historian the brand picks up, the man behind the channel and the brand is always going to be fine.

What's worse is that the sizeable Chud contingent of Internet Historian's base thinks it's good and fine and chad that he plagiarized from a cuck journalist, or that the wokescolds think it's problematic. Some of those guys probably even got in on the James bashing because lolcow.

Again, I don't actually have a thesis with any of this. Just spitballing about how nakedly partisan poo poo like basic professionalism and ethics has become

I mean you kind of touched on in your post here. IH didn't get canceled cause nearly all of his audience didn't give a poo poo he plagiarized, and if anything, probably made them like him even more.

in 99% of cases, the only way to be truly canceled is by your own audience. milo wasn't brought down by a bunch of lefties writing emails to youtube. he got canceled by his own fans. same with illuminaughti and somerton.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Nuns with Guns posted:

James is weird because it sounded like he read books as a hobby, but didn't personally interact with any other things he talked about? He was not a history buff. Historical factoids he brought up demonstrated that he knew jack poo poo about any history he didn't directly live through. He didn't seem to comprehend any anime he talked about, or have more than a shallow awareness of a lot of western animation like Avatar? He wasn't binging any TV series he discussed. He didn't appear to play any video games he talked about, either.

This is something that gives Somerton away as well. He didn't seem to understand or engage with any of the media he talked about because of the particular mode in which he was approaching them with. I don't think the man is incapable of understanding art, movies, history, or anything else, but he never tried. He only read, watched, or listened to media with the mindset of "what can I quote, reference, or edit into a video?". He put out so much stuff that he didn't have the time, nor cared to put in the time, to give anything multiple passes. He clearly only gave any particular thing one go and during that go was just highlighting poo poo to pull for a video, and if you're doing that exclusively there is no way you can actually come away with any real knowledge or understand of something.

I'm a technical writer, and I can tell you that there are so many different ways to read something without ever understanding what it was conveying. Like I have edited and read some documents five to ten times and couldn't really give you a decent summary of what was in them, much less have a deep understanding of the material they contained. If I have the time the usual way I go through a document is at least 4 passes:

Plain reading: Just a normal read through to get familiar.

Copy pass: Is the content accurate? Is it concise? Are there any unneeded sections?

Language pass: Does this fit with the language guide, if there is one? Are there any troublesome terms, words to be avoided? Did anyone use a stupidly high level and specific jargon term that will be confusing to the lay people reading it?

Grammar pass/Tech Edit: Close reading and picking out common grammar errors, finding "The The"s, adjusting layout and spacing, removing double spaces after periods, deleting weird punctuation and sentence construction like em dashes or semicolons.

There are more kinds of reading I end up doing if they are needed/ I have time, but generally the first two are where I can learn about what the document is talking about. More often than not though? I get told at the 12 hour that something needs an edit and only have time for a Language Pass and a Tech Edit, many times just the Tech Edit. And when I'm reading for that I'm not "reading". It's more like looking at the shape of the sentences and paragraphs to pick out stuff that doesn't fit. It makes it easier to find stuff like "The The"s, I don't really know how else to describe it. But doing that means that any deeper meaning to the words just slides right past my brain.

That's the kinda poo poo Somerton was doing. Scanning through some piece of media and every so often going "That looks important, let's use that", figuring out where in the timeline to drop it, and then moving on without ever conceptualizing what he just saw or heard. His brain was only ever in plagiarize mode.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Believe it or not, the Internet Historian probably has been hurt from the Hbomberguy video. Yes, he has a very loyal chud viewer base, but he has clearly been trying to expand into a more mainstream viewerbase. Not out of the goodness of his heart, but because while the chuds and the internet edgelords are loyal, they are also limited, and his brand can't achieve any growth by just appealing to that demographic. Most normal people who would otherwise put up with his politics get pretty pissed off when they see blatant plagiarism like that. Like, on one of his streams Pat Boivin streamed Man In Cave a year back, and was pretty disappointed to learn how much he had ripped off from that article to make that video after he watched the HBomberguy video. He said he was done with the Internet Historian, and a lot of his chat seemed to be of the same opinion.

Honestly, I'm glad Hbomberguy made that video, and I think it has ultimately been a net positive.

Clip-On Fedora fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 25, 2023

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I think the big difference between Internet Historian and the others is how they frame themselves and their content. James and Iilluminaughtii both put up a façade of being Serious Journalists making Serious Videos about Serious Issues, but IH is and always was a comedian. The channel name doesn’t refer to him being a historian who happens to be on the internet; it’s a tongue in cheek reference to him being an amateur historian of weird dumb poo poo associated with internet culture. The fact that he sometimes talks instead about legitimate historical or newsworthy stuff is a fun diversion but people are mainly tuning in for the jokes and the creative animations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Somerton admittedly does seem like a deeply incurious person. This works for, say, James Rolfe because while AVGN is incurious the stuff on which he's passionate about it really shines through and makes up for other stuff like his FFVI review the other day. Admittedly I've only seen (many) clips of Somerton but nothing seemed to spark for lack of a better term. Even Doug will get genuinely worked up talking about like Blues Brothers.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if nothing else somerton turned out to provide some insight into terminal Business Major Brain

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Somerton admittedly does seem like a deeply incurious person. This works for, say, James Rolfe because while AVGN is incurious the stuff on which he's passionate about it really shines through and makes up for other stuff like his FFVI review the other day. Admittedly I've only seen (many) clips of Somerton but nothing seemed to spark for lack of a better term. Even Doug will get genuinely worked up talking about like Blues Brothers.

My favorite James Rolfe memory is watching him and Mike Mattei encounter the word “scythe” for the first time and figure out together how to pronounce it, plus get excited for knowing the word for the big thing the grim reaper carries around.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Ok, post the video

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Crain posted:

This is something that gives Somerton away as well. He didn't seem to understand or engage with any of the media he talked about because of the particular mode in which he was approaching them with. I don't think the man is incapable of understanding art, movies, history, or anything else, but he never tried. He only read, watched, or listened to media with the mindset of "what can I quote, reference, or edit into a video?".

Yeah it's similar to the Doug Walker thing where despite the nucleus of his online career being riffing on bad movies, he himself did not actually learn any lessons on why they were bad that he could apply to his own productions because he only ever engaged with what he would watch for NC videos from in the context of finding the most meme-worthy scenes and dialogues to mug to the camera over.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can’t watch the videos right now to see, but it’s one of the James and Mike Monday videos with Super Ghouls and Ghosts.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I remember reading somewhere Elizabeth Holmes and Sam Bankman-Jailed would fly all over the world to close deals, but only eat the same food as they would in the US. They had no curiosity to try out any local dishes. Let's not forget the latter's comment on being skeptical of books.

I don't know the psychological term, but there's a brand of people with no taste or curiosity. They're sterile creatively. Somerton too.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I would once again like to take this opportunity for us to remember that SBF was literally laddering in League when the police kicked down his door to arrest him. Also that despite like 2000 hours in League he was perpetually capped at bronze, lol.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sydin posted:

I would once again like to take this opportunity for us to remember that SBF was literally laddering in League when the police kicked down his door to arrest him. Also that despite like 2000 hours in League he was perpetually capped at bronze, lol.

Do you think he ever fed aoc

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I AM GRANDO posted:

I can’t watch the videos right now to see, but it’s one of the James and Mike Monday videos with Super Ghouls and Ghosts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EexjhlMumjg&t=320s

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I AM GRANDO posted:

My favorite James Rolfe memory is watching him and Mike Mattei encounter the word “scythe” for the first time and figure out together how to pronounce it, plus get excited for knowing the word for the big thing the grim reaper carries around.

This is a peril of being a comic book reader. You'll see words and never hear them so are blown away by the first time you hear them because you were pronouncing them in your head wrong. I do not engage in hyper-bowl when I say this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Merry BALDmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v0yN5e8aio

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

This is a peril of being a comic book reader. You'll see words and never hear them so are blown away by the first time you hear them because you were pronouncing them in your head wrong. I do not engage in hyper-bowl when I say this.

This but fantasy and sci fi novels that were available in libraries in the 80s and 90s.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Arivia posted:

Do you think he ever fed aoc

reported for hornyposting

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Everybody shut up new Grimbeard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmj0WAf2mVM

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Clerical Terrors posted:

Going back to what trilobite terror posted earlier I think a lot of it makes sense if you consider that maybe James didn't make videos because he wanted to do analysis, but because he wanted to be known as a filmmaker and he treated the Youtube stuff like part of a job that'd pay for it. So he approached it like a disinterested high schooler approaches their class assignments and didn't bother engaging, instead he just sought out a bunch of stuff other people had written on the subjects, loosely cobbled it together and turned it in to get his views and his money. And it worked so he never had any reason to question it.

judging by his apology video that’s pretty likely what it was

he wanted to make all sorts of other content and have his own media company and do a bunch of different poo poo behind/in front of the camera and be a celebrated internet gay with a nebula partnership and streamy awards and an expensive office full of serious artist toys and the video essays about media are the first thing that really hit, so he had to build his channel around them.

I’m sure seeing some video essayist nebula people get to make expensive feature-length creative projects getting what I can only assume are tens of thousands of views gave him a model for what to do as well.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
It's probably why he wanted to be on Nebula so bad, but he was never invited because he had already had several plagiarism accusations.

Then he had to go picking fights over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

trilobite terror posted:

judging by his apology video that’s pretty likely what it was

he wanted to make all sorts of other content and have his own media company and do a bunch of different poo poo behind/in front of the camera and be a celebrated internet gay with a nebula partnership and streamy awards and an expensive office full of serious artist toys and the video essays about media are the first thing that really hit, so he had to build his channel around them.

I’m sure seeing some video essayist nebula people get to make expensive feature-length creative projects getting what I can only assume are tens of thousands of views gave him a model for what to do as well.

Part of me now wonders if he could've gotten away with it, had he actually managed to produce films as intended. It's such a murderously competitive industry that it was a gamble from the get-go, so who knows how long he would've had to keep grinding in his content mill.

I want to think it'd only be a matter of time before the bottom fell out, but I can't confidently say that.