Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Merry Crimbo everyone :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I had a very chill Christmas Eve with my partner and the dog, but we ruined things by inviting friends over for a Christmas Day dinner. Now I have to get dressed and have food ready on time and communicate with words rather than grunts. Massive self own.

Happy Christmas everyone.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Merry Christmas.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I stopped celebrating Christmas in 2006 after my parent's home stopped being a safe place to visit. During a Sunday lunch a few months earlier, my brother reached over and crushed my windpipe over a minor disagreement about his lack of parenting skills. Mum and Dad refused to discipline him or address the situation to guarantee it wouldn't be repeated (they saw it as a 50/50 argument) so I stopped visiting them if my brother was there. As the oval office always used the Christmas week to be a parasitic leech and mooch off of the parents, that meant I was excluded by default. Apart from Dad, they were all cunts, so I was ok with having a firm excuse not to visit.

But to be honest, I've never enjoyed this time of year since becoming an adult. My first seasonal jobs were in restaurants, and this time of the year was back-to-back hell serving drunken assholes. I then did a few years working in Currys, and Christmas was an even bigger hell serving assholes. I was then a touring musician, and this time of the year was pure back-to-back slog with no rest, playing to drunken assholes. Christmas was never a relaxing fun time after my 16th birthday, and Christmas day was mostly spent recharging ready for the continuation of the madness on Boxing Day.

So now that I'm ill and can't really do much of any celebrating or go anywhere, I really don't mind it on bit

Bah humbug etc.

In other news, this just popped up on my radar:
https://twitter.com/TottenhamConse1/status/1739247405671879109

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
On the topic of arseholes, what end of the turkey do you stuff?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

On the topic of arseholes, what end of the turkey do you stuff?

Turkey crown, no arseholes, no stuffing

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
merry christmas to all. may all your xmas sex arses be delivered safely and on time

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Failed Imagineer posted:

no arseholes, no stuffing

is this even christmas

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

kecske posted:

is this even christmas

Not all of us were fortunate enough to have our sex arses arrive on time, have some loving empathy mate.

seriously where will i put my beans now

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kin posted:

Thank you santa for giving me a passive aggressive wife who's blaming me for making her feel bad and ruining Christmas because she bought me the wrong thing from my amazon wishlist.

Rather than the variety of films or puzzles or cool looking fidget toy type things I'd added at her request, said gift was an HDMI splitter that I'd already bought for the house/her back in October so that she could switch between things in her office without having to mess about with cables.

She could also only see it because she set the filter to include things already purchased.

At least my son likes his toddler trampoline. :/

I'd just say thank you for the gift and leave it at that. Finding out you got someone the wrong thing for Christmas or that they don't like your gift is a lovely feeling.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

stev posted:

I'd just say thank you for the gift and leave it at that. Finding out you got someone the wrong thing for Christmas or that they don't like your gift is a lovely feeling.

Eh, I think if you do it on purpose as a gift to yourself you deserve some poo poo for it. A lot of poo poo and no figgy pudding actually!!!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jakabite posted:

Eh, I think if you do it on purpose as a gift to yourself you deserve some poo poo for it. A lot of poo poo and no figgy pudding actually!!!

If that's what happened sure, but I read it that she was asked to get something off the wishlist and bought the only thing she could see there because the filter was wrong - not knowing what it was or that they already had it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Ohh that makes more sense. I read it as setting the filter to that herself, but your version makes a lot more sense.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

stev posted:

If that's what happened sure, but I read it that she was asked to get something off the wishlist and bought the only thing she could see there because the filter was wrong - not knowing what it was or that they already had it.

Tbf Amazon do free returns until Jan 31st so plenty of time to send it back!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

stev posted:

I'm not sure why she bought it to be honest.

She said she had the filter set to show everything (including the obvious Christmas stuff) and didn't know what it was even though it was already something I'd bought to fix her multiple hdmi problem earlier in the year).

I guess I'm just lucky she didn't get me the rawl plugs I have on the list for fixing the toilet roll holder.

It's kinda tricky to maintain a sense of joy and excitement, (and not subsequently get grilled for not being overtly happy) when your wife's opening up her books and scented bath bombs, etc while you get your hardware to fix a household problem (that you already solved).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm at a hotel that's basically the question time audience dialled up to 11 and tonight the hotel is doing a "gala dinner" for Christmas. I'm gonna need drinks, lots of drinks

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Go and make an absolute scene of yourself. I presume these people don’t matter to you at all and you’ll never see them again, so go all out. Get loving hammered, mock them and be extremely rude. Just don’t get mad or appear to care too much at any point or they’ll turn it around on you. Aloof mockery, that’s the vibe.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Kin posted:

I'm not sure why she bought it to be honest.

It's kinda tricky to maintain a sense of joy and excitement, (and not subsequently get grilled for not being overtly happy) when your wife's opening up her books and scented bath bombs, etc while you get your hardware to fix a household problem (that you already solved).

My wife's currently sitting on the sofa, getting into a mopey huff 'cos my 12yr old stepson would rather play his new ps games up in his room than sit watching films with us. I'm torn between trying to resolve the situation and just drinking until I don't care any more

Christmas: not even once.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm the 12 year old

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Half the fun of being a kid on Christmas is playing with all your presents while the adults do boring adult poo poo.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I got an airfryer and Netflix and a big pile of cat toys for my foster cats. At which point one of my grumpier relatives started huffing and saying he thought I'd stopped all that. Peace and goodwill to all, unless it involves putting yourself out in any way whatsoever, I guess.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 25, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Decent haul this year, books, games, clothes, and about to have a nice big feast! :toot:

And yeah of course a 12 year old wants to go play new video games instead of sitting around with his parents watching some movie he probably doesn't care about at the best of times

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I’ve had a book about New York zoo from 1929 and it’s all “the male silverback gorilla, a mighty and most impressive beast, was delivered from west Africa with much difficulty over eleven months and in his capture and transport caused the deaths of not less than nine of his native handlers. When he reached New York we discovered the creature could not be controlled so we shot the oval office.” Merry Christmas to all!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I got a bat detector. I was not expecting a bat detector but it'll be cool once spring returns.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't know you were batman, tbh.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Not yet he’s not. You wait till spring.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Didn't know you were batman, tbh.

Just jealous that you didnt get an owl detector

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Bluth posted:

I got a bat detector. I was not expecting a bat detector but it'll be cool once spring returns.

Stealing Ratty's thunder?

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Presents opened, house straightened up, and now waiting for some friends to come chill with us. So far so good! Merry Christmas to all who celebrate, and peace love and understanding to all (except nazis)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Kin posted:

Thank you santa for giving me a passive aggressive wife who's blaming me for making her feel bad and ruining Christmas because she bought me the wrong thing from my amazon wishlist.

Rather than the variety of films or puzzles or cool looking fidget toy type things I'd added at her request, said gift was an HDMI splitter that I'd already bought for the house/her back in October so that she could switch between things in her office without having to mess about with cables.

She could also only see it because she set the filter to include things already purchased.

At least my son likes his toddler trampoline. :/

In the last week or two you've complained about how awful it is to be earning 50k a year and now you're complaining about someone buying you a present

Have you considered maybe it's a you problem?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Microplastics posted:

I'm at a hotel that's basically the question time audience dialled up to 11 and tonight the hotel is doing a "gala dinner" for Christmas. I'm gonna need drinks, lots of drinks

Update: absolute pandemonium as the hotel decides to invite people one by one into the dining hall by calling room numbers, which can barely be heard over the noise of drunk people wondering why they're doing this

Many red faces

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't have someone getting crimbo dinner if they don't deserve it.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Christmas dinner was mercifully shorter than usual, and I'm now getting comfortably hammered on christmas beer.

I have trouble dealing with complex food rituals due to various autism spectrum issues, so christmas dinner is usually something to be endured. This year, it was over quite a bit more quickly than usual. My 4 year old nephew was refusing to eat, complaining that he didn't feel well. My brother upped the ante by threatening to confiscate his nintendo switch if he didn't eat his pigs in blanket. My nephew proceded to call his bluff by projectile vomiting all over the table. Best christmas dinner ever.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pro move from the 4 year old, I hope the parent in question got his shoes ruined.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Skarsnik posted:

UKMT Winterval 2023/24 - Maybe it's a you problem?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Awhhh poor nephew.

Me, my fiance, mum and Dad just had a very nice meal together. We've just had a lovely Christmas pudding /brownie and are now chatting about art and stuff. It's been very nice.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Xmas dinner has been eaten and thoroughly enjoyed.

Now it is time for the most sacred of all activities on this holiest day: a nice long snooze with a big full tummy :3

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

What the gently caress is a bat detector? Is it your eyes??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just jealous that you didnt get an owl detector

You can detect those noisy bastards using your ears.