Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

BRJurgis posted:

Thanks for the responses, and largely not doing this-

For one thing, yeah me first. I wouldn't be alive without modern medicine and likely wouldn't last many winters without it. I don't want to die, I don't want you or other disabled people to die. What we have built, however, is unsustsinable, unconscionable. We should endeavor to be strong enough go change it, and I don't see how that happens without a willingness to sacrifice. I hope to be strong enough to take care of myself and those around me for as long as possible. I'm not some doomsday prepper thinking my big alpha male dick is gonna see me ruling a post industrial dystopia after we're rid of the "weak". It's not about ME, it's about correcting our course to save our only planet.

For some lame pop culture explanations, sylvie in Loki who is willing, insistent even, on destroying the status quo and its systemic assembly line injustice and inhumanity, to her own death. Things might get worse, but they can't get better until things change.

How about in Andor? Prisoners staging an escape knowing the guards will attempt to indescriminately kill every one of them? Or when they agitate the fascists KNOWING they will brutally crack down, knowing people will die.

People in real life right now fight against vastly more powerful forces knowing the cost will be great and they'll likely die. Historically that's how things changed. Did democracy bring about the new deal, civil rights, women's suffrage? People held a sword to the system, they were arrested and beaten and killed. Stability and profit were threatened. Yet as our systems grow more entrenched even taking to the streets is becoming inadequate. Hostages to our own comfort.

Maybe talk to a therapist instead of reading the cspam doomer threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jose Valasquez posted:

Maybe talk to a therapist instead of reading the cspam doomer threads

This thread, hilariously enough, is in D&D.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I like video games too much (and also good healthcare) to give up on our modern way of life.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Volmarias posted:

How often do people gently caress with your seat position? I get to slowly unfurl from the very short distance that it was set to last time, because a smaller person drove it last

Nearly

Every

Time

If I had an automatic seat adjuster that would be EXTREMELY convenient for me.

Me and my SO share the same cars. She's 5'3" and I am 6'2", mostly it's a PITA when I get into the car too fast after she's driven and I get stuck between the wheel and seat. Fortunately it's really only got move forwards, move backwards when you release a lever. Honestly never seen it as a problem that needed solving.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Volmarias posted:

Trust me, it's one of those little "hell is other people" annoyances that I should ignore but can't.

First World Problems, such as it is

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

BRJurgis posted:

Thanks for the responses, and largely not doing this-

For one thing, yeah me first. I wouldn't be alive without modern medicine and likely wouldn't last many winters without it. I don't want to die, I don't want you or other disabled people to die. What we have built, however, is unsustsinable, unconscionable. We should endeavor to be strong enough go change it, and I don't see how that happens without a willingness to sacrifice. I hope to be strong enough to take care of myself and those around me for as long as possible. I'm not some doomsday prepper thinking my big alpha male dick is gonna see me ruling a post industrial dystopia after we're rid of the "weak". It's not about ME, it's about correcting our course to save our only planet.

For some lame pop culture explanations, sylvie in Loki who is willing, insistent even, on destroying the status quo and its systemic assembly line injustice and inhumanity, to her own death. Things might get worse, but they can't get better until things change.

How about in Andor? Prisoners staging an escape knowing the guards will attempt to indescriminately kill every one of them? Or when they agitate the fascists KNOWING they will brutally crack down, knowing people will die.

People in real life right now fight against vastly more powerful forces knowing the cost will be great and they'll likely die. Historically that's how things changed. Did democracy bring about the new deal, civil rights, women's suffrage? People held a sword to the system, they were arrested and beaten and killed. Stability and profit were threatened. Yet as our systems grow more entrenched even taking to the streets is becoming inadequate. Hostages to our own comfort.

I don't think 'I'm going to hit the reset button and it's everybody for themselves, sorry' is the same as your other real life examples though. It sounds a bit delusional that you think one person should be allowed to have that power / make that decision just because you're willing to live under the same system or whatever.

edit: Loki could handle it because he was a god. and he isnt real.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BiggerBoat posted:

First World Problems, such as it is

death by a thousand cuts

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Platystemon posted:

The best pressure cooker is a big ol’ pot that you put on the stove, with a locking lid and a weight that sit atop the lid’s chimney to control pressure.

There’s nothing to go wrong.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Main Paineframe posted:

Instant Pot got bought out by venture capital earlier a few years ago, and "just making a really good electric pressure cooker" wasn't enough for the new owners. As sales declined (once someone's bought a really good pressure cooker, they don't need another one for a while), the new owners forced the company into blowing tons of money on trying to diversify its offerings, not only adding all sorts of useless features no one wanted to the pots but also trying to expand into other types of kitchen appliances.

Naturally, Instant Blenders and Instant Toasters were unable to recapture the viral success of the Instant Pot, and plowing all that money into doomed products finally drove Instant Pot into bankruptcy earlier this year.

:rip:

While not really specifically a tech thing, it's a great example of the way current investor trends have been impacted by the tech industry. The Instant Pot company could have survived its declining sales by cutting costs and focusing on a survivable profit margin on the stuff it was already making. It's not like the sales were going to drop all the way to zero. But instead, the venture capital owners made risky bets on infinite growth, wasting more money than the company could really afford to spend on ill-advised attempts at reselling new products to existing customers and breaking out into new markets. In the end, they drove the company into the ground.

this may have played a role

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1668631268073050115

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That poo poo shutters many a marginal business that can't manage continued growth and honestly should be illegal.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I would love to see private equity be completely eliminated from existence and banned. Enough of this stupid poo poo.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
The trick with the car seat thing is to only associate yourself with people the same height as yourself.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

His Divine Shadow posted:

Me and my SO share the same cars. She's 5'3" and I am 6'2", mostly it's a PITA when I get into the car too fast after she's driven and I get stuck between the wheel and seat. Fortunately it's really only got move forwards, move backwards when you release a lever. Honestly never seen it as a problem that needed solving.

Modern cars have far more settings than just moving the seat forwards and move backwards. Off the top of my head, the differences myself and my foot shorter girlfriend would have driving my car:

Steering wheel height + depth,
Seat forward/back position
Seat height
Seat incline
Lumbar support/lower back support level
Seat tightness (I don't know the proper word for this, but how the seat kinda hugs you)
Wing mirror positions
Rearview mirror position

Pushing a button for 3 seconds to adjust all of that (bar the rearview mirror) to the exact right setting for either of us driving is just way nicer than having to do it manually every time we swap whos driving.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I think my car has like 5 settings and one day my son hosed with it and I never quite figured out how to get it back to where I liked it.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Adding in the automatic stuff is bullshit too, nothing was wrong with me manually turning on the lights. Gfs car just always has all the lights on (my vehicle is completely manual lights), but one work truck has "day lights" that are always on, but the tail lights won't come on unless I flip a dial. This led to me driving at night without tail lights, because I saw the headlights were on and just assumed.

I'm pretty sure my dad can't figure out how to start my mom's car, it involves a button.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Push button cars have a different start up sequence than key ignition. If you're not used to it I can see somebody flailing around failing to start it properly.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

BRJurgis posted:

Adding in the automatic stuff is bullshit too, nothing was wrong with me manually turning on the lights. Gfs car just always has all the lights on (my vehicle is completely manual lights), but one work truck has "day lights" that are always on, but the tail lights won't come on unless I flip a dial. This led to me driving at night without tail lights, because I saw the headlights were on and just assumed.

I'm pretty sure my dad can't figure out how to start my mom's car, it involves a button.

Having lights on in the daytime at all times significantly reduces your odds of getting into an accident, your girlfriend's car is in the right here. Lots of studies have shown this, ie

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2850978/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0022437523000099

I've never heard of a car with automatic lights that only turned the front lights on and not the tail lights, thats hugely counterintuitive. Sounds like theres something wrong with the car.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Seems to me the goon saw the DRLs and assumed they were headlights so they didn’t turn on the manual headlights (some DRLs are super bright, fwiw).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nah I owned a car like that. The daytime lights weren't as bright as actual headlights though.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Got rear-ended today and the backside of my car got mangled somewhat. It's still ok to drive until I get it to the repair shop but now it thinks the trunk is open.

So now it beeps at me.

And doesn't stop beeping.

And there's no way to disable it.

My key fob doesn't work, because why would I want to lock my car with an open trunk? So now I have to take out the manual emergency key thingy hidden inside the fob to lock the door.

Zero overrides anywhere, sigh.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The thread is devolving into goons getting mad about "new" technologies that have been around since before they were born.

Electronic seats were around in the 40s and daytime running lights in the 70s

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sagacity posted:

Got rear-ended today and the backside of my car got mangled somewhat. It's still ok to drive until I get it to the repair shop but now it thinks the trunk is open.

So now it beeps at me.

And doesn't stop beeping.

And there's no way to disable it.

My key fob doesn't work, because why would I want to lock my car with an open trunk? So now I have to take out the manual emergency key thingy hidden inside the fob to lock the door.

Zero overrides anywhere, sigh.

Have you taken a look at the latch mechanism to see if anything is obviously stuck or if any wires are damaged? Latches are usually fairly simple to trick.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

The Dave posted:

Have you taken a look at the latch mechanism to see if anything is obviously stuck or if any wires are damaged? Latches are usually fairly simple to trick.
Yeah, I'll have to try that once it's light out and it has stopped pissing with rain. The trunk itself seems to lock fine, it's similar to when the trunk is slightly too full and you can close it but the sensor somehow doesn't register that.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

You wouldn't have to deal with this bullshit if you were hunting squirrels to feed your family. :colbert:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The automatic seat on my self checkout broke again :(

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Mercury_Storm posted:

The automatic seat on my self checkout broke again :(

Mine's saying it's out of cyan :(

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Nobody's "getting mad" about electronic seats. We're discussing the true measure and meaning of convenience, time saving and quality of life "features" like that for the price. The whole "what problem is this solving and how big of one was it really in the first place?" thing.

I have an annoying thing going on because my car automatically locks my rear doors for me and 95% of the time when I'm unloading groceries or luggage and need to get into the back seat with my hands full, I have to fumble for the fob/door lock again when no one was in the back seats in the first place and I never wanted the loving things locked to begin with. gently caress you, car. If I want the doors locked, the switch is right there and I am more than capable of handling it. I'll let you know when I need help, thanks.

I don't even like the auto up/down window thing where I'm trying to crack my window just a little to let some air circulate but my car decides to make it "easier" and rolls it all the way down for me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jose Valasquez posted:

The thread is devolving into goons getting mad about "new" technologies that have been around since before they were born.

No one cares if the concepts existed but were never encountered in daily life.

You can criticise the Luddites for opposing labor-saving machines, but it’s just silly to bring up that technically Hero of Alexandria made a steam engine in the first century.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Platystemon posted:

No one cares if the concepts existed but were never encountered in daily life.

You can criticise the Luddites for opposing labor-saving machines, but it’s just silly to bring up that technically Hero of Alexandria made a steam engine in the first century.
These are things that have been incredibly common on cars for years, not some niche technology that is just now becoming mainstream.

I had a 92 Chevy Cavalier with electric seats and a 95 Buick with daytime running lights

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jose Valasquez posted:

These are things that have been incredibly common on cars for years, not some niche technology that is just now becoming mainstream.

I had a 92 Chevy Cavalier with electric seats and a 95 Buick with daytime running lights

Just because you had something in 1992 doesn't mean that it was common then. And you started off with

quote:

so maybe just knock it off a bit.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Nenonen posted:

Just because you had something in 1992 doesn't mean that it was common then. And you started off with

so maybe just knock it off a bit.

Knock off what? We're just talking about things, this isn't some heated argument. I was mildly flippant on Something Awful dot com

DTL and electric seats have been incredibly common for 20+ years and have been around for an even longer time, they aren't in the same category as the stupid tablet trend or putting wifi on toasters

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I really miss the good ol days before power steering and anti lock brakes.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jose Valasquez posted:

Please give me the time frame I'm allowed to dislike something.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

Please give me the time frame I'm allowed to dislike something.

You can dislike things for as long as you want but that doesn't make them tech nightmares

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
i will forever be allowed to hate this and anything, anything at all that allowed it to propagate

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

BRJurgis posted:

This post encapsulates this thread.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

BRJurgis posted:

Adding in the automatic stuff is bullshit too, nothing was wrong with me manually turning on the lights.
It's just so easy!

quote:

The tail lights won't come on unless I flip a dial. This led to me driving at night without tail lights, because I saw the headlights were on and just assumed.
Easy to forget.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kavros posted:

i will forever be allowed to hate this and anything, anything at all that allowed it to propagate

Yeah, but can you still adjust the seats with your presets?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seat position presets are stored in the cloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Daytime Running Lights became mandatory in Canada in something like 1989 or 1990, and I recall at the time there was some concern (possibly not in good faith :v:) about how drive-in movie theatres were supposed to survive with such an onerous, overreaching nanny-state law on the books.

I think you can turn them off if the parking brake is on? Although maybe that actually wasn't a thing when the law was passed?