Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

GoldenGun posted:

See also: the nerds whose main forum contribution is speculating on future MCU installments and conjuring up top 10 lists of various film franchises, suddenly commenting on editing and other formal qualities after the release of Suicide Squad.

You owned them that for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Flowers for QAnon posted:

As a non CD poster who likes some of Zach Snyder’s stuff, it’s incredibly bizarre to see multiple people levying personal attacks at posters who didn’t like the movie.

Well here's the thing, there are plenty of people who didn't like the movie who didn't get any flack because they posted thoughtful or genuine reviews. The people who do get pushback are the ones who post stupid poo poo like "Zack's fascist sensibilities" or arguing about loving grain for 3 pages or how the movie is bad because the stormtroopers miss their targets. It's cinemasins-level bullshit. Since you're not a regular here you might not be aware that we got an obnoxious amount of these types of disingenious hot takes and drive by shitposting so at this point we just don't offer the benefit of the doubt to the more extreme hot takes, and it's usually pretty easy to tell which is which.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

McCloud posted:

Well here's the thing, there are plenty of people who didn't like the movie who didn't get any flack because they posted thoughtful or genuine reviews. The people who do get pushback are the ones who post stupid poo poo like "Zack's fascist sensibilities" or arguing about loving grain for 3 pages or how the movie is bad because the stormtroopers miss their targets. It's cinemasins-level bullshit. Since you're not a regular here you might not be aware that we got an obnoxious amount of these types of disingenious hot takes and drive by shitposting so at this point we just don't offer the benefit of the doubt to the more extreme hot takes, and it's usually pretty easy to tell which is which.

Actually I plan to let Snyder fans call people slurs and everyone who has rated the movie lower than 3.5 on letterboxd will have a month + ban queued with a message to never post in Cine D ever again.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The cross forums drama is pretty annoying to be quite honest.

Who gives a gently caress but it’s annoying importing drama. It’s not like you can talk behind peoples backs - anyone can go in either seeing people talking about each other.

But the mods encourage it and makes the entire forum a toxic cesspool. Who is more guilty of it tho?

It’s kinda lovely that someone dislikes you because of a director you enjoy. When said directors only “crime” is making movies you don’t like.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

This was absolutely terrible but I guess some juicy blaster explosions into space nazi meat would have made it a passable Albert Puyn-ish flick. Not sure if another 30-40 minutes would fix the nonexistent team dynamic that feel like a severely underbudgeted eastern european rpg.

Ed Skrein is an okay toadie but not prime antagonist material. Not a fan of "lol he does drugs and puts stuff into his rear end" as a villain shorthand, if you are doing a eurocomic riff everyone should be kinky as hell.

Having a gladiator character without showing an arena fight right after a lengthy scene of taming a birb monster is so jarring, good lord this loving cut

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 25, 2023

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It did, however, show us djimon hounsou flexing his muscles, so i'd say it's a fair trade off. Of course, ideally we'd have both

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Titus's introduction is definitely the most jarring part of the movie. Like with Tarak leaving the bird behind we get a pretty succinct statement of who he is and what he's about. It's brief but it's not incomplete. With Titus we see make Kora make a case to him that doesn't even seem like it's totally convinced him and then bam he's part of the crew.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I mean they just drag his drunk rear end onto the ship but that shorthand is clear, he's the guy from gladiator but in space. Would still like just a bit more there.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Roth posted:

Actually I plan to let Snyder fans call people slurs and everyone who has rated the movie lower than 3.5 on letterboxd will have a month + ban queued with a message to never post in Cine D ever again.

This is called direct action and I support it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

josh04 posted:

I mean they just drag his drunk rear end onto the ship but that shorthand is clear, he's the guy from gladiator but in space. Would still like just a bit more there.

If they drag him aboard the ship against his will that would be interesting to see! I didn't interpret it that way, though, it seemed like they got him on board with their proposal and just elided over the "how."

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Vintersorg posted:

The cross forums drama is pretty annoying to be quite honest.

Who gives a gently caress but it’s annoying importing drama. It’s not like you can talk behind peoples backs - anyone can go in either seeing people talking about each other.

But the mods encourage it and makes the entire forum a toxic cesspool. Who is more guilty of it tho?

It’s kinda lovely that someone dislikes you because of a director you enjoy. When said directors only “crime” is making movies you don’t like.

Seriously I don't see people here going over to the RLM thread to annoy them and run back here while MacheteZombie encourages it.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If they drag him aboard the ship against his will that would be interesting to see! I didn't interpret it that way, though, it seemed like they got him on board with their proposal and just elided over the "how."

The yellowbeard approach: Stagger stagger, crawl crawl

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Just saw Rebel Moon this morning and what can I say but holy poo poo. I knew this would be good if not flawed because of the scaled-back cut, but even still, this blew me away. The art direction and style of this movie is some of the coolest sci fi poo poo I've seen in film in years (although I haven't seen The Creator yet). It's funny everyone's bringing up Star Wars, when I felt way more Excalibur, Halo, and even Doom Eternal vibes from this.

The action scene, with all its glorious slow-mo is (as always with Snyder's stuff) breathtaking, and even awe-inspiring. I had the biggest grin on my face when watching this. I genuinely pity some of folks in this thread who have clearly had their brains broken by Cinema Sins to the point where they just can't enjoy awesome stuff like this anymore. Sucks to be them!

The only "flaw" really is the film is pretty light on character development, (which I imagine will be fixed in the extended cut anyway) but honestly, I didn't even mind it too much. It's an ensemble film and those are always pretty light in the character department anyway. I am looking forward to seeing more stuff for Bloodaxe and Nemesis in the extended cut since they were my favorite characters and totally stole the scenes they were in.

Rebel Moon ftw baby :sickos:

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 25, 2023

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Roth posted:

Seriously I don't see people here going over to the RLM thread to annoy them and run back here while MacheteZombie encourages it.

Look here Roth it’s much more pathetic and embarrassing to like a movie than it is to spend your fuckin Christmas Day invested in cross forums drama lmfao

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The rlm thread guys can continue being miserable on Christmas Day. I’ll enjoy my sorta mid seven samurai sci fi movie

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

YggdrasilTM posted:

Really? I found the the whole scene of her with the planet behind her really fake and flat. In fact, that initial shot is probably my least favorite of the movie.

as much as i disliked the movie i'm certain this was intentional. the green screen backgrounds looked like old school matte paintings and felt like a direct homage. personal preference, i suppose, but i enjoyed them.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
There is something wonderfully dehumanizing about the imagery of using a captive bolt gun on prisoners.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Brb gotta do some light holiday reading https://twitter.com/femmevillain/status/1739339265698390252?t=HTgWU4m8ZziGs4yDTkWmRw&s=19

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Holy poo poo

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Roth posted:

Holy poo poo

I don't know what to tell you. It feels a bit unnecessary.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
My biggest problem with the film was the cgi once again a cool story is brought down by boring artificial looking backgrounds. Why can’t they just use the effects they used in 80s fantasy films and Star Wars? Sure some of that poo poo looked fake but it had this otherworldly quality to it that sticks with you and looked better then generic cgi poo poo

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004
Watched this nursing a Christmas hang over but Disney was right to pass on this unoriginal seven samurai in space.
The fight choreography was dire, obvious gently caress ups were left in. Does Zack not believe in multiple takes?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

baalaagaa posted:

Watched this nursing a Christmas hang over but Disney was right to pass on this unoriginal seven samurai in space.
The fight choreography was dire, obvious gently caress ups were left in. Does Zack not believe in multiple takes?

Those Disney movies ain’t better than this dude

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

90sgamer posted:

My biggest problem with the film was the cgi once again a cool story is brought down by boring artificial looking backgrounds. Why can’t they just use the effects they used in 80s fantasy films and Star Wars? Sure some of that poo poo looked fake but it had this otherworldly quality to it that sticks with you and looked better then generic cgi poo poo

Synder loves Boormans Excalibur. It would definitely be cool if he made a film with a retro look like that, but maybe a hard sell.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I turned this garbage off after the stupid spider lady fight but what's with the constant slow motion? I know it's a zach snyder movie, dead dove do not eat etc, but jesus christ this guy is a one trick pony.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

kalel posted:

I haven't seen the movie yet but it's a masterpiece. I know because it says "zack snyder" on it

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ozmunkeh posted:

I turned this garbage off after the stupid spider lady fight but what's with the constant slow motion? I know it's a zach snyder movie, dead dove do not eat etc, but jesus christ this guy is a one trick pony.

What’s with this director doing his signature thing he always does in his movies.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CharlestheHammer posted:

You owned them that for sure

The big problem with nerds & fan media they rely on isn't even that they're wrong necessarily about a given film (theatrical cut skwad IS badly edited), but that their criticisms are so inconsistently applied. Which only confirms that they aren't really worth considering except in mockery.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

baalaagaa posted:

What obvious gently caress ups are you referring to?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

What’s with this director doing his signature thing he always does in his movies.

Eh, like I said, you know what you're getting with one of his movies but I wasn't quite prepared for the sheer quantity. Taking no care with the application of a filmmaking tool and just mashing ctrl-v throughout your movie is how you end up with /battlefield earth/.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ozmunkeh posted:

Eh, like I said, you know what you're getting with one of his movies but I wasn't quite prepared for the sheer quantity. Taking no care with the application of a filmmaking tool and just mashing ctrl-v throughout your movie is how you end up with /battlefield earth/.

Literally what the gently caress are you talking about lmfao

It’s like if you’re watching Eyes Wide Shut and just seeing every single Kubrick stare and then saying, this is so hack/he’s just copy pasting. No dude!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Literally what the gently caress are you talking about lmfao

It’s like if you’re watching Eyes Wide Shut and just seeing every single Kubrick stare and then saying, this is so hack/he’s just copy pasting. No dude!

What are you talking about :dafuq:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

What are you talking about :dafuq:

I’m saying snyder does slow mo in basically all of his movies. It’s literally his thing. I’m not sure how you can say that doing it again in this movie basically makes it battlefield earth somehow.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

man I'm on the fence about Snyder most of the time but if these are the haters then even I'm embarrassed.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

I’m saying snyder does slow mo in basically all of his movies. It’s literally his thing. I’m not sure how you can say that doing it again in this movie basically makes it battlefield earth somehow.
You didn't understand the point I was making. That's ok, perhaps I went too fast.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He went rather conservative on the slowmo in Rebel Moon.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

I dont think that was there point though. I believe they were arguing that he just shoves it in with no thought, not that they use it in their movies.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What does the thoughtful use of slo-mo look like?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Roth posted:

What does the thoughtful use of slo-mo look like?

slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Mega Comrade posted:

I dont think that was there point though. I believe they were arguing that he just shoves it in with no thought, not that they use it in their movies.

This is a bad assumption though. Why would you assume a filmmaker does something in a film with zero thought? Why not ask what they are trying to convey.

We talked about this in the thread earlier but slow mo is both used to make stuff look cool for some action or hero poses, and to hone in on emotions and themes. For example, the slow handling of the soil and seeds by Kora to emphasize the feeling of peace to her. Or in her flashback it slow mos on her battlefield face to again highlight her past rage.