Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Got Super Mario RPG for Christmas, but was busy wuth family stuff till npw, time to finally visit it. I heard they removed whatever little missable stuff was in the original right? (In the sense it's no longer missable at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Well, Backpack Hero is the first time I bought an indie game on Switch and it just straight up didn’t work. Great job, everyone.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You should buy and play Hollow Knight

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

hatty posted:

You should buy and play Hollow Knight

Does it work?

I’m currently playing Picross and wishing there were more management games to play after finishing Nelke.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Got Super Mario RPG for Christmas, but was busy wuth family stuff till npw, time to finally visit it. I heard they removed whatever little missable stuff was in the original right? (In the sense it's no longer missable at all).

Yeah there's a secret box in princess castle that originally you could only get in one scene where a toad runs through and you time a jump off his head perfectly but they changed it so later on there's a bunch of toads walking around there.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Cavern for a King in Pikmin 4 is really burning up this games good will.

I hate battle towers.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Luigi Thirty posted:

Well, Backpack Hero is the first time I bought an indie game on Switch and it just straight up didn’t work. Great job, everyone.
Lmfao can’t wait to hear what user error this turns out to be.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Luigi Thirty posted:

What's wrong with it? I've had no issues with it crashing. Menus get kinda more sluggish if I keep the game running without closing it but that's been it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Mega64 posted:

What's wrong with it? I've had no issues with it crashing. Menus get kinda more sluggish if I keep the game running without closing it but that's been it.

My town progress resets itself every time I finish a dungeon. All the NPCs update but it’s reset every time I finish a run. The dev also said they’re working on patching things over on r/NintendoSwitch.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I got Overland (game) some time ago for the switch. It's a mini turn based tactics game about driving across America to avoid aliens. I like it. I find it's like doing a Sudoku puzzle. However I don't think I've heard of anyone else playing it.

It has dogs. :tif:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Welp, it took me 6+ years, but thanks to having some extra time this morning, I finally did it: Ganon is dead*

For some reason, I managed to find something like 90% of all shrines while missing 90% of the Korok seeds. Otherwise, it was a full completion run: All titans done, master sword and hyrule shield found, all weird places explored, died dozens of times trying to reach the end of the map (outside of the desert, there you can just walk into the border directly). I basically walked up and done the entire map repeatedly until Link's feet had touched every inch of Hyrule at least once. (Still below 100 Korok seeds, that kind of incompetence must be some kind of record)

It was a fun game, and among the many open world games I've played over the years, the first that motivated me enough to finally end it properly. Luckily it took me so long, I was ridiculously overdressed and overprepared for the final fight, but Ganon still caused me to eat half my inventory anyway, because I'm bad at reflex-based gameplay. Early-game Link would have been obliterated just walking through the door.

Some extra fun moments were exploring all the ruins, taking part in Survivor: Zelda-Edition and trying my best to climb anything climbable, including the big tower above Ganon's hiding place. It was lots of fun, but after squeezing every last drop out of Breath of the Wild, I'm done. The game is now archived. Merry Christmas, everyone!

Time to move on to Tears of the Kingdom!

*May not actually be dead

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Switch 2 will most likely have hardware arch that’s 2-3yrs old by the time it’s announced right?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shaocaholica posted:

Switch 2 will most likely have hardware arch that’s 2-3yrs old by the time it’s announced right?

Already does, leaks have all been pointing towards 2020-era Nvidia Ampere GPU tech on cheap, outdated Samsung 8nm.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Libluini posted:

Welp, it took me 6+ years, but thanks to having some extra time this morning, I finally did it: Ganon is dead*

For some reason, I managed to find something like 90% of all shrines while missing 90% of the Korok seeds. Otherwise, it was a full completion run: All titans done, master sword and hyrule shield found, all weird places explored, died dozens of times trying to reach the end of the map (outside of the desert, there you can just walk into the border directly). I basically walked up and done the entire map repeatedly until Link's feet had touched every inch of Hyrule at least once. (Still below 100 Korok seeds, that kind of incompetence must be some kind of record)

It was a fun game, and among the many open world games I've played over the years, the first that motivated me enough to finally end it properly. Luckily it took me so long, I was ridiculously overdressed and overprepared for the final fight, but Ganon still caused me to eat half my inventory anyway, because I'm bad at reflex-based gameplay. Early-game Link would have been obliterated just walking through the door.

Some extra fun moments were exploring all the ruins, taking part in Survivor: Zelda-Edition and trying my best to climb anything climbable, including the big tower above Ganon's hiding place. It was lots of fun, but after squeezing every last drop out of Breath of the Wild, I'm done. The game is now archived. Merry Christmas, everyone!

Time to move on to Tears of the Kingdom!

*May not actually be dead

I’d be curious to see your first impression. I can’t say I didn’t love TotK but nothing has come close to BotW’s wow factor.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I don't know how many gigaflops those things have but I don't WANT switch2 to be some bleeding edge very expensive thing

Just give us an iterative improvement

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Twerk from Home posted:

Already does, leaks have all been pointing towards 2020-era Nvidia Ampere GPU tech on cheap, outdated Samsung 8nm.

oh no not 2020 GPU tech

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Twerk from Home posted:

Hah! Nintendo is DONE for :smug:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Twerk from Home posted:

Using cheap outdated hardware in their new console? Nintendo is finished

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Nintendo is not immune to the Play Date, but lord knows Sony and Microsoft experience it way more often.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

symbolic posted:

oh no not 2020 GPU tech

People in this thread are so defensive. The person this poster was responding to said "The next switch will probably use tech about 3 years old right?" And this poster is answering "Yes, it looks that way" and a bunch of other posters view this as a slight against Nintendo and jump in as a defense brigade.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

John Wick of Dogs posted:

People in this thread are so defensive. The person this poster was responding to said "The next switch will probably use tech about 3 years old right?" And this poster is answering "Yes, it looks that way" and a bunch of other posters view this as a slight against Nintendo and jump in as a defense brigade.

Or they're just poo poo posting and you're being the defense brigade?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
While I don't expect Nintendo to go all out on high end hardware, they do have some competition now with Steam Deck (and others). So I don't think they'll just do some small spec upgrade

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Nintendo makes a system to play Nintendo Games

Any other games it plays are mostly incidental. So I'm not sure how much they really care about the steam deck

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't care how rear end the graphics are I just want the first party games to run a bit better. Game could look like a launch ps2 title and I'd be happy if it ran at a consistent 30

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'd hope the next console to be worth spending 300+ purely from a hardware upgrade from the switch imo

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I love my Switch, but their next console needs to be able to push 1080p/60Hz for every game on the system. This 30FPS nonsense needs to stop.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I’d be curious to see your first impression. I can’t say I didn’t love TotK but nothing has come close to BotW’s wow factor.

So far, I only got to the part where Link finds his first pair of pants, and stopped when stepping out into the light again, but I'm impressed so far. The second game starts with a far more cinematic feeling, with Link and Zelda finding Zombie Ganon Wizard under Hyrule and Link becoming a Transhumanist.

Zelda continues to be a blast: Determined, always happy to lurk around in some ancient ruins, always just so chipper and positive. (I tried for fun to play the game with English voices on. Turns out after playing BotW for 100+ hours and listening to Zelda German voice for so long, the English voice actress just sounds so wrong. English Zelda sounds like she has depression, German Zelda like she's just dealing with some hard poo poo, but still positive and hopeful.)

Anyway, as someone interested in history and archaeology, starting the game with a dungeon crawl and a history lesson is like catnip to me, so for now I'm putting Tears of the Kingdom just a bit above BotW, just because of the strong start.

Some other things:

-Thanks to just finishing BotW today, I feel like already know these characters. Also I can look at Hyrule Castle getting hosed with a hearty :lol: lucky that stupid thing stood abandoned for 100 years, eh? No idea how a completely fresh player would react to all of this.

-My bet is Link wouldn't have lost his arm if he still had the max upgraded Antique Armor I got for him in the first game. That poo poo was wild.

-The new beginning is a good medium between BotW fairly hasty (but back then refreshingly new) "get out of your Bacta-Tank, Link" immediate cold start and Skyrim's tedious-feeling forced intro dungeon. Some cave exploration, some exposition, then Link gets hosed and the game starts. Bethesda would have forced me to watch what often feels like 10 more cutscenes and fight 100 more monsters before even getting out of the first dungeon.

I feel a lot of this is psychology: Nintendo likes to rush the player into what looks like it's the entire game, but in truth is a hidden tutorial area. But because it's nice and airy, and you aren't constantly talked to by angsty NPCs, things feel a lot more natural and you don't mind not leaving that plateau for a while. And I expect this weird air world I've found myself into will be a similar tutorial level like the plateau in BotW. Another important part: If you're restarting Skyrim, you can't just walk off when that first dragon attacks. You have to go through that whole thing until you can finally stab all those assholes and run off.

Here and in BotW, I have this nice feeling of being allowed to just ignore what is going on to do my own thing. In games like Oblivion or Skyrim, I sometimes feel like I'm actively fighting the devs at every step. Sometimes that can be fun, but it can also be quite exhausting.

Though :lol:, I really did not expect that my sheer lazyness of never changing my BotW-voices from my native German default would bite me in the rear end. The English voice for Zelda isn't even bad, my brain just goes "that's not Zelda" and locks up. Psychology! :allears:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

maybeadracula posted:

Nintendo makes a system to play Nintendo Games

Any other games it plays are mostly incidental. So I'm not sure how much they really care about the steam deck

This is patently false in the case of the Switch and their previous handhelds where the adoption rate was so high that every motherfucker out there wants to put a version of their game on the system. There’s a huge user base out there buying third parties and indies on their Switch which is why there’s a deluge of third party ports and content. Nintendo doesn’t want to just sell their games and nothing else.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

man nurse posted:

This is patently false in the case of the Switch and their previous handhelds where the adoption rate was so high that every motherfucker out there wants to put a version of their game on the system. There’s a huge user base out there buying third parties and indies on their Switch which is why there’s a deluge of third party ports and content. Nintendo doesn’t want to just sell their games and nothing else.

I'm sure they like that, and they definitely support Indy devs, but if not like THEY are the ones making those games

Is there any public info on how much Nintendo makes when somebody buys Mortal Kombat or whatever

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I mean the goal with any console is to a) get as many people to buy it as possible and b) gets devs to develop for it, thereby increasing a) which increases b) and so on. I’m not saying Nintendo doesn’t make the consoles they want to make, they’re obviously always innovating while also ignoring the tech race for graphics and poo poo. They want to make hardware that appeals for function.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I’m going to buy whatever the switch successor is because Wintendo

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Speaking of rushed, I'll never forgive this generation for what they did to Mario Strikers.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Game would have been hype if they just let you do 4v4 matches online. Putting an ungodly amount of dev and marketing effort into a new online club mode and not actually letting you play matches online with the club was insane.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Got Super Mario Wonder for Christmas. Switch remains King of Consoles.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Libluini posted:

So far, I only got to the part where Link finds his first pair of pants, and stopped when stepping out into the light again, but I'm impressed so far. The second game starts with a far more cinematic feeling, with Link and Zelda finding Zombie Ganon Wizard under Hyrule and Link becoming a Transhumanist.

Zelda continues to be a blast: Determined, always happy to lurk around in some ancient ruins, always just so chipper and positive. (I tried for fun to play the game with English voices on. Turns out after playing BotW for 100+ hours and listening to Zelda German voice for so long, the English voice actress just sounds so wrong. English Zelda sounds like she has depression, German Zelda like she's just dealing with some hard poo poo, but still positive and hopeful.)

Anyway, as someone interested in history and archaeology, starting the game with a dungeon crawl and a history lesson is like catnip to me, so for now I'm putting Tears of the Kingdom just a bit above BotW, just because of the strong start.

Some other things:

-Thanks to just finishing BotW today, I feel like already know these characters. Also I can look at Hyrule Castle getting hosed with a hearty :lol: lucky that stupid thing stood abandoned for 100 years, eh? No idea how a completely fresh player would react to all of this.

-My bet is Link wouldn't have lost his arm if he still had the max upgraded Antique Armor I got for him in the first game. That poo poo was wild.

-The new beginning is a good medium between BotW fairly hasty (but back then refreshingly new) "get out of your Bacta-Tank, Link" immediate cold start and Skyrim's tedious-feeling forced intro dungeon. Some cave exploration, some exposition, then Link gets hosed and the game starts. Bethesda would have forced me to watch what often feels like 10 more cutscenes and fight 100 more monsters before even getting out of the first dungeon.

I feel a lot of this is psychology: Nintendo likes to rush the player into what looks like it's the entire game, but in truth is a hidden tutorial area. But because it's nice and airy, and you aren't constantly talked to by angsty NPCs, things feel a lot more natural and you don't mind not leaving that plateau for a while. And I expect this weird air world I've found myself into will be a similar tutorial level like the plateau in BotW. Another important part: If you're restarting Skyrim, you can't just walk off when that first dragon attacks. You have to go through that whole thing until you can finally stab all those assholes and run off.

Here and in BotW, I have this nice feeling of being allowed to just ignore what is going on to do my own thing. In games like Oblivion or Skyrim, I sometimes feel like I'm actively fighting the devs at every step. Sometimes that can be fun, but it can also be quite exhausting.

Though :lol:, I really did not expect that my sheer lazyness of never changing my BotW-voices from my native German default would bite me in the rear end. The English voice for Zelda isn't even bad, my brain just goes "that's not Zelda" and locks up. Psychology! :allears:

I agree with everything you said here and thought the opening was loving brilliant, but just a heads up: the tutorial island you’re about to begin (if you haven’t already) is a loving slog, in my opinion. I did not enjoy it at all, much less compared to the Great Plateau. But don’t let that discourage you - once you get through it and back to the surface, it’s game fuckin’ on from there on out.

I was genuinely surprised at how fresh and exciting the first few moments back on the surface were, and how…vulnerable I felt, in spite of already knowing combat and the controls like the back of my hand. Seeing my first Bokoblin patrol and having to figure out how to avoid being seen was a genuine A+ gaming moment

Game good, Wintendo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah it's great, at least the second best polygonal 2d Mario game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Miss Mowcher posted:

While I don't expect Nintendo to go all out on high end hardware, they do have some competition now with Steam Deck (and others). So I don't think they'll just do some small spec upgrade

The last click bait headline I saw said the switch 2 would be as powerful as a PS5 lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I agree with everything you said here and thought the opening was loving brilliant, but just a heads up: the tutorial island you’re about to begin (if you haven’t already) is a loving slog, in my opinion.

nah it’s good

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Len posted:

The last click bait headline I saw said the switch 2 would be as powerful as a PS5 lol

Well maybe it's not coming out until 2029

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked the Tears tutorial Island much more than the Breath. It felt like it had more drive and purpose.