Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Zenni lenses and frames can be had for less than $50. There's plenty of other discount glasses retailers. Never buy glasses from your healthcare provider.

Yep even with my nice union vision insurance it’s still cheaper to go through zenni, the only thing it really helps with is the eye exams and even then only slightly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thathonkey posted:

i have vision insurance through my job and it's basically worthless. they will pay for 1-2 boxes of contacts per year (not month)... OR same amount of money towards frames and lenses (around 150$ or so iirc) which never comes close to covering the entire thing. it covers an eye exam also which is around 100$ value.
I’ve had multiple pairs of glasses from Warby Parker and they’re great, better than the overpriced Luxottica crap I got in previous years from LensCrafters.

With insurance, I had to pay $110 for a contact lens exam but part of that was an up charge for an eyeball microscopic camera thing. I only get eye exams every other year these days because my prescription is super stable so it’s fine.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
for sure theres way better options now but im really picky about frames ive been wearing the same kind for many years and am too stubborn to change. objectively they are no better than zenni or warby et al... was just pointing out vision insurance is pretty bunk in my experience

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

AceClown posted:

the hotswap battery is a loving godsend when I work 12 hours shifts

I have the regular arctis pro wireless, love it. Didn't want to ever have to physically plug my headset in to use it.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Yep even with my nice union vision insurance it’s still cheaper to go through zenni, the only thing it really helps with is the eye exams and even then only slightly

I have amazing health insurance through my work, better than any job I've ever had and better than any benefits I've heard of from other people in my industry. The vision portion doesn't cover poo poo and I paid for my glasses completely out of pocket. I literally don't know why vision insurance exists.

Just got this in the mail from Australia:

Its a synth/drum machine/sampler/sequencer/groovebox. The pencil is for scale. It is very small and very cool.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Josh Lyman posted:

I’ve had multiple pairs of glasses from Warby Parker and they’re great, better than the overpriced Luxottica crap I got in previous years from LensCrafters.

Not that Luxottica is any better, but Warby Parker is a terrible company that treats their employees like absolute poo poo. I wish I could find the Twitter thread from an ex-employee that lists a lot of the poo poo they do; I think I have it bookmarked.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Zenni is nice but they have like 2 frames that both fit my mammoth noggin and have nose pads

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

That's a nice pencil.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

AceClown posted:

Look great, how do you wear cans for those long stretches without your ears heating up? Has always been an issue with me of cans of all types over the decades. Keeps me going back to my AirPod pros as a result.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I have amazing health insurance through my work, better than any job I've ever had and better than any benefits I've heard of from other people in my industry. The vision portion doesn't cover poo poo and I paid for my glasses completely out of pocket. I literally don't know why vision insurance exists.

Just got this in the mail from Australia:

Its a synth/drum machine/sampler/sequencer/groovebox. The pencil is for scale. It is very small and very cool.

Stuff like this and more or less anything for teenage engineering solidly falls within “things I’d be extremely excited to get and then never use”. Drives me absolutely nuts. I also have the musical inclination of a brick despite playing an instrument for nearly 2 decades.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Look great, how do you wear cans for those long stretches without your ears heating up? Has always been an issue with me of cans of all types over the decades. Keeps me going back to my AirPod pros as a result.

I can't speak for op but earbuds just don't work for me. I got gross thick earwax that just melts and seeps into anything in my ear and itches like nothing else.

Over the ear makes my ears warm yes, but it doesn't melt the gross earwax and I can and do wear them for hours at a time.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Time for some new boot goofin'

Man, these are comfy

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Wendigee posted:

I can't speak for op but earbuds just don't work for me. I got gross thick earwax that just melts and seeps into anything in my ear and itches like nothing else.

Over the ear makes my ears warm yes, but it doesn't melt the gross earwax and I can and do wear them for hours at a time.

yeah it's this, I did replace the pads with some cooling gel pads, which do work for a short while, but ear buds don't cut it for long stretches.

I also swapped the pads because they come with those faux leather ones that inevitably flake after a while.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Warbird posted:

Stuff like this and more or less anything for teenage engineering solidly falls within “things I’d be extremely excited to get and then never use”. Drives me absolutely nuts. I also have the musical inclination of a brick despite playing an instrument for nearly 2 decades.

Yeah, that's an issue with me too sometimes. I'm hoping it keeps my interest. So far, its been easy to use to make musical sounding things pretty quickly so that's a good sign.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I just use America's best for the eyeglasses stuff. Eye exam and 2 pairs of admittedly not great glasses for 80 bucks, then take the prescription and head to Zenni or your favorite glasses online place.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

AceClown posted:

These are my fave headphones I've owned. I bought some sick rear end 90s white earpads to replace the ones they come with:
https://www.amazon.com/WC-Replacement-Steelseries-Durability-Thickness/dp/B0BK5DTYT8?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Found this at the thrift store today. It's even my size.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
A "Crestline" Strat copy husk from the early 80s, made by Samick in Korea.

Bought because I could use this neck plate I've had in my parts box since ~1997, and because it was cheap. Mostly because it was cheap.

Needs a few parts, which started coming in yesterday

New bridge saddles, which are "proper" Fender US spec size because all the import/metric spec stuff didn't start until a few yesrs after this one was made.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suggestions for a 2024 calendar? I hang it in my bathroom to have a quick check of the ordering of weeks in the month when I brush my teeth. I usually get one with cat pics but I was thinking of something educational/informational this year.

This is the best one I’ve found but $20 seems like a lot https://a.co/d/4u7vrFd

Josh Lyman has a new favorite as of 08:46 on Jan 2, 2024

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Suggestions for a 2024 calendar? I hang it in my bathroom to have a quick check of the ordering of weeks in the month when I brush my teeth. I usually get one with cat pics but I was thinking of something educational/informational this year.

This is the best one I’ve found but $20 seems like a lot https://a.co/d/4u7vrFd

Saw this at Whole Foods. https://www.tfpublishing.com/products/2024-space-cats-mini-calendar A larger one exists https://www.amazon.com/TF-PUBLISHING-Appointments-Scheduling-Organization/dp/1639248250..

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 09:16 on Jan 2, 2024

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The best calendar is free.

https://www.ausa.org/news/army-corps-engineers-releases-pet-calendars

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Just throwing this option out there.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Discovered this on New Year's Day:
https://i.imgur.com/dUlJFf8.mp4
My honing steel was worn smooth, so time to get a new one.

First (non-food) purchase of 2024.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Work got some old computers from a partner company so I snagged a free 16" 2019 MacBook pro. Had the battery, logic board, & track pad replaced for $249.

Apparently the new MacBook Pro's need USB-C chargers so I grabbed this (which can also charge my various other devices).

Sleeve to hold said MacBook Pro.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

Apparently the new MacBook Pro's need USB-C chargers so I grabbed this (which can also charge my various other devices).

You probably need a bigger charger. If I recall correctly those Intel ones need a like 100w of charging all to themselves. Something to look at if you haven't gotten it in the mail yet.

Nice score.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Android Apocalypse posted:

Work got some old computers from a partner company so I snagged a free 16" 2019 MacBook pro. Had the battery, logic board, & track pad replaced for $249.

Hi it's me, your coworker friend

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

H110Hawk posted:

You probably need a bigger charger. If I recall correctly those Intel ones need a like 100w of charging all to themselves. Something to look at if you haven't gotten it in the mail yet.

Nice score.

Oh okay I'll grab a dedicated one then.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Nice score.

I recently got https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CCVPB4PC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details You probably don't need that one, but if you want to get full charging on your laptop while charging other things then you'll need something similar. Anker, Ugreen, Bauses, (there are others as well) I wouldn't be buying a no name for a power charger. Perhaps that's unnecessary paranoia but it does plug into the wall and your expensive computer.

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 21:41 on Jan 4, 2024

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

Nice score.

cant beat that price even if you have to buy a 1st party charger. this is my work laptop exactly (intel i7 processor) and apple provided a 96W charger with it.

however i actually typically plug it in and charge it through the USB-C connection from my standalone monitor instead so I can use one port for both power and additional display output purposes and it seems to work fine... no idea what kind of power it is providing but ive been running it like this for years+ without issue just using a random usb-c to c cable i had lying around, nothing special

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You don’t need a bigger charger. I typically just use my monitor to charge my MacBook Pro. I’ve also used an 80W steam deck charger. It’s slower but works just fine. USB-C chargers are surprisingly ubiquitous and also not really cheap; I wouldn’t buy an additional one unless you strictly needed it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah if you are banging off the limiter it will slowly drain etc but it will charge while asleep as long as it's a certain minimum wattage.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

(I recently learned you can both fry and roast cabbage.)

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
gently caress your cabbage

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I’ve wanted one for years and was finally in the position to comfortably purchase a new car. So I did.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

TheMadMilkman posted:

I’ve wanted one for years and was finally in the position to comfortably purchase a new car. So I did.

Welcome to the overlander club.

:thejoke:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

3D Megadoodoo posted:

(I recently learned you can both fry and roast cabbage.)

You can also smoke it.

on a smoker, I mean.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Cabbage is very versatile.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Not a purchase per se as it was a gift…

Adidas NMD_V3's.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

I've owned a Vodka brand shirt for years, been trying to find another one for a while now. Searching for them is hard because they're old and it just turns up merch for actual vodka. Super hyped for my cigarette butts and beepers shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

UwUnabomber posted:

I've owned a Vodka brand shirt for years, been trying to find another one for a while now. Searching for them is hard because they're old and it just turns up merch for actual vodka. Super hyped for my cigarette butts and beepers shirt.

I thought it was a Zip drive or something :negative: