Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah but it's not a Disney venture, and it's rather clise to half the Oga's anyway, so the company has left money on the table in every tourist city that isn't LA or Orlando.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Besides Disney and Universal, what theme parks are open year round? Or rather, if I have a week off in February and want to go somewhere new, is anything open?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

Besides Disney and Universal, what theme parks are open year round? Or rather, if I have a week off in February and want to go somewhere new, is anything open?

It's from last year but shouldn't have changed much: https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/s6xanm/other_2022_opening_dates_for_amusement_parks_in/

tldr basically everything in Florida and Cali, and most of the ones in Texas.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Questions for my west coast goons:

I'm headed to DLR next year and I'm planning a day at Universal Hollywood. Should I have trouble getting a ride share from DLR to Universal? I know it's a bit of a drive. Any other transportation options? I poked around the public transit site and it seems like taking the busses would take an extremely long time.

I booked a room at the Tropicana and on their website, they advertise the "Karmel Shuttle" for transportation to and from LAX? Anyone ever use it before?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Are magic bands still worth it in WDW? Seems like most things can be done with the app as well?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're fun at least. Magic Band+ is required for some of the newer interactive things.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Do the rides that automatically get your photos work with your phone?

I like the Magic Bands anyway. They're a nice little souvenir for your trip, and it's fun to find the 'right one' for you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do the rides that automatically get your photos work with your phone?

Yes, though I only ever get a few. I’m not sure if that’s just ride capability or the phone is less reliable.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

it's annoying as gently caress to take out your phone all the time and it slows the line down

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, though I only ever get a few. I’m not sure if that’s just ride capability or the phone is less reliable.
Pretty sure you're supposed to find your one in the lineup and tap it for several of them still.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

alg posted:

it's annoying as gently caress to take out your phone all the time and it slows the line down

Unless there is no wait time it wouldn’t actually slow anything down.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Aphrodite posted:

Unless there is no wait time it wouldn’t actually slow anything down.

:shrug: all I know is watching other people with phones slowing the line down when I was in line a couple weeks ago. magic band just works

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Jose Oquendo posted:

Questions for my west coast goons:

I'm headed to DLR next year and I'm planning a day at Universal Hollywood. Should I have trouble getting a ride share from DLR to Universal? I know it's a bit of a drive. Any other transportation options? I poked around the public transit site and it seems like taking the busses would take an extremely long time.

I booked a room at the Tropicana and on their website, they advertise the "Karmel Shuttle" for transportation to and from LAX? Anyone ever use it before?

There are no good options to get from Disneyland to Universal. Sorry!

The drive from Anaheim to Universal City can be several-hours-long, especially if you leave at rush hour. I have no idea if you are into stuff like Turo, but renting a car might be best to give you flexibility for timing and exploring the LA/Hollywood area if you are into that. Rideshare might be an option, but I wouldn't be surprised if it cost you more one-way than a rental car and parking at Universal would cost you for a day.

Best advice, leave for Universal before the sun rises and head back to Disneyland after the sun sets. Avoid LA freeways between 7am-7pm, especially on Thursdays.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Magicband+ has been very reliable for me at getting ride photos on stuff like Tron, and for the first time ever my name popped up at the end of Small World.

The app can be running on the phone to trigger pictures on rides like Tron too, there’s some instructions about having the right bluetooth settings in the line & you take it with you instead of putting it in the locker.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

VorpalBunny posted:

The drive from Anaheim to Universal City can be several-hours-long, especially if you leave at rush hour. I have no idea if you are into stuff like Turo, but renting a car might be best to give you flexibility for timing and exploring the LA/Hollywood area if you are into that. Rideshare might be an option, but I wouldn't be surprised if it cost you more one-way than a rental car and parking at Universal would cost you for a day.

Best advice, leave for Universal before the sun rises and head back to Disneyland after the sun sets. Avoid LA freeways between 7am-7pm, especially on Thursdays.

Appreciate the info. I've been stuck in that traffic on a few occasions. I was definitely planning on getting there early. It's been a while since I've had to drive out there. Is traffic typically better (relatively speaking) on Sundays?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Jose Oquendo posted:

Appreciate the info. I've been stuck in that traffic on a few occasions. I was definitely planning on getting there early. It's been a while since I've had to drive out there. Is traffic typically better (relatively speaking) on Sundays?

yes, it's the best day to travel, except for the evenings when everyone is returning home from their various adventures. Sunday morning traffic is the best daylight traffic you will ever get.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rideshare will do it for sure, since they can probably easily find a rider to cover their time back to Anaheim from LA.

It's actually not that bad either. If you were to call it right now it's like $42. I'm sure things are less busy on Christmas day, but it is prime traffic time.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Darth TNT posted:

Are magic bands still worth it in WDW? Seems like most things can be done with the app as well?
I mean, define "worth it", but... yeah, I'd say so. Yes, most (if not all) things you can do with the band you can do with your phone too, but it's quicker to just tap your wrist than to pull out your phone, double-click the side button, pick the Disney pass, tap that, and then put your phone away again.

Also I feel like it's just more fun? You get to wear a little Disney bracelet that does a bunch of stuff, it's an inherently neat thing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Rideshare will do it for sure, since they can probably easily find a rider to cover their time back to Anaheim from LA.

It's actually not that bad either. If you were to call it right now it's like $42. I'm sure things are less busy on Christmas day, but it is prime traffic time.

Thanks for that info too. I’m probably just worrying over nothing. I do plan on getting to UH early. Figure we can eat breakfast and then get early access to Nintendo World.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, define "worth it", but... yeah, I'd say so. Yes, most (if not all) things you can do with the band you can do with your phone too, but it's quicker to just tap your wrist than to pull out your phone, double-click the side button, pick the Disney pass, tap that, and then put your phone away again.

Also I feel like it's just more fun? You get to wear a little Disney bracelet that does a bunch of stuff, it's an inherently neat thing.

You don’t actually have to enable Apple Pay manually, Disney stuff uses the proximity sensor feature that basically nobody else uses.

It’s still slower though. And no clue about Samsung, but if Apple does it they probably do too unless it’s patented. Other android phones would be more of a toss-up.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 26, 2023

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It also works on Apple Watch so you can have a magic band without a MagicBand.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

And for android? nope

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Aphrodite posted:

You don’t actually have to enable Apple Pay manually, Disney stuff uses the proximity sensor feature that basically nobody else uses.
Oh, so you can just wave your phone at stuff? I overcomplicated it the one time I tried it out, then. Still slower, though.

Anyway I have a Stitch regular magicband and a 50th anniversary magicband+ with the Partners statue for the centerpiece and I regret neither purchase. Stitch rules and that Partners one is slick.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 26, 2023

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I don't have any of my old MagicBands because they got lost when I moved north for a spell, so now I just use my phone and it's super easy. I don't even need to open the Wallet app usually (although sometimes the sensors aren't as good so I do)

I do want a MB+ Just to play the bounty hunter stuff in Galaxy's Edge though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CapnAndy posted:

Stitch rules
Not an emptyquote.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

VorpalBunny posted:

This.

I got a rental and actually stayed at the Universal City Hilton for a night after HHN and then went to the park the next day. I left Universal City at like, 1:45 and didn't get back to the Anaheim Hilton until like..uhh, 430 or so. It was wretched. It was cheaper than a ride share but I legitimately would not recommend it.

I'd recommend the metrolink. You can get from Fullerton/Anaheim to Union and then transfer to the B/D line which gets off at Universal City. It'll probably be shorter than driving given the traffic too. Definitely cheaper than a rideshare or a rental.

e: Gonna be at WDW/UO first full week of February and the week I'm there is bookended by a dance and cheer competition, but I'm staying at Mystic Dunes so it shouldn't impact me too much.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 26, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I don't have any of my old MagicBands because they got lost when I moved north for a spell, so now I just use my phone and it's super easy. I don't even need to open the Wallet app usually (although sometimes the sensors aren't as good so I do)

I’m going after the guests in the park and turning them in to the front desk to collect my reward

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Make sure you play at a time when it is not brutally hot. Nothing worse than running all around Galaxy's Edge frustrated you can't find the symbol on a door on top of being overheated.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Dren posted:

Make sure you play at a time when it is not brutally hot. Nothing worse than running all around Galaxy's Edge frustrated you can't find the symbol on a door on top of being overheated.

I do have a benefit of having my own landspeeder* so I don't have to run around on foot.

*300 dollar used scooter I thrifted off the facebook marketplace that looks kind of like the weird hotrod speeders in Book of Boba Fett

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I took my kids to Disney with my ex-wife of ~7 months this past summer (that's a tale for another time), but when Hondo walked out at Smuggler's Run I yelled out HONDOOOOOOO in briefing room at the top of my lungs and everyone looked at me like I was nuts, and that's my Walt Disney World story.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Len Testa gave some interesting information this morning on the Disney Dish about the DAS abuse Disney was claiming some of these touring groups were complicit in. Disney started checking/validating that the person who booked the DAS reservation for the group was actually there. I've never worked in the parks so hearing him say this like it was new information kind of floored me. People were getting turned away for not having the person who reserved the DAS spot present in their group according to what they saw. Still don't buy the 'widespread abuse', but that's probably more me really wanting to believe that people aren't that terrible.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I completely understand why people abuse DAS. Its free fast pass for everything.
Its bad enough when people use it unnecessarily. Its even worse that 3rd parties are profiting off of it.

blerch

BlueBayou fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 2, 2024

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Most people would be shocked to know that DAS parties (where one person in the party has a card so they all get its' benefits) account for somewhere between 1/5th and 1/4th of any person riding any attraction. I can't point to any proof online of this, because it isn't there, but I know people who know the numbers.

I, myself, helped track the GAC card use 10 years ago when it was reaching absurd numbers, and it was the same thing. Then they changed GAC to DAS and started requiring return times, and the widespread abuse was stifled quite a bit. But then they made it so you can do it on your phone. Then they created Genie+, and now the DAS holder numbers are higher than GAC was.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I don't have an issue with the DAS person having to be present to actually check everybody in for the ride, maybe even both touch points (if there's two) so long as the queue is comfortably accessible for them. But if you qualify for DAS, you shouldn't be forced to ride when you get to the load area if you aren't feeling up for it, either. And that shouldn't disqualify everyone else in your party. Those of us with DAS-level disabilities already feel like we're dragging down the group sometimes, it'd suck to have Disney support that feeling. You know?

That said, yeah, there's a ton of liars out there and it's a lot. I try to do standby for anything 30 minutes and lower to try to offset the DAS abuse by so many people, but who knows if it helps.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The criteria for DAS feel weirdly balanced towards middle-severity stuff. Stuff like IBS I get why you qualify, but other things I've heard people getting it for you should be able to plan around better. Then there's the whole thing about mobility assistance which seems backwards and punishes people for being sensible and using a scooter or wheelchair when they can walk a bit but would be in pain doing so.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

The criteria for DAS feel weirdly balanced towards middle-severity stuff. Stuff like IBS I get why you qualify, but other things I've heard people getting it for you should be able to plan around better. Then there's the whole thing about mobility assistance which seems backwards and punishes people for being sensible and using a scooter or wheelchair when they can walk a bit but would be in pain doing so.

It's an extremely weird system. Mobility stuff should be dependent on how severe it is, but it just isn't.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess that’s probably because of the laws that prohibit asking for proof?

Imagine if all the people cheating it also included anyone who rents a scooter.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Most people would be shocked to know that DAS parties (where one person in the party has a card so they all get its' benefits) account for somewhere between 1/5th and 1/4th of any person riding any attraction. I can't point to any proof online of this, because it isn't there, but I know people who know the numbers.

I, myself, helped track the GAC card use 10 years ago when it was reaching absurd numbers, and it was the same thing. Then they changed GAC to DAS and started requiring return times, and the widespread abuse was stifled quite a bit. But then they made it so you can do it on your phone. Then they created Genie+, and now the DAS holder numbers are higher than GAC was.

Len mentioned that in the 2013 lawsuit that Disney said GAC cards accounted for 3 percent of all guests, but the assumption there is that it was strictly card holders, not full parties meaning usage of GAC was much higher.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I don't have an issue with the DAS person having to be present to actually check everybody in for the ride, maybe even both touch points (if there's two) so long as the queue is comfortably accessible for them. But if you qualify for DAS, you shouldn't be forced to ride when you get to the load area if you aren't feeling up for it, either. And that shouldn't disqualify everyone else in your party. Those of us with DAS-level disabilities already feel like we're dragging down the group sometimes, it'd suck to have Disney support that feeling. You know?

That said, yeah, there's a ton of liars out there and it's a lot. I try to do standby for anything 30 minutes and lower to try to offset the DAS abuse by so many people, but who knows if it helps.

It feels like there's no way to enforce abuse of DAS without punishing people who need it and that's the shittiest part of all of this. There are people who genuinely need it and like BlueBayou said, abusing it is bad enough. Third parties profiting off it is flat out repulsive.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

There will be a new WDW promo soon. I'm not allowed to tell you what it is or when it is but I don't need to because all the bloggers have said it with no consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm seeing 2 new offers. Free dining and a room discount. People are going to be going nuts over the return of free dining, well at least the content creators will be.