Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kyrosiris posted:

Complaining about using discord feels like some real "ok, boomer" energy.

The only other real alternative is a lovely fandom wiki, which is IMHO way more annoying to deal with even with adblockers and etc., because no one is going to actually pony up the cash to host a guide site for a random-rear end incremental game.

Look man, I just want my questions to be answered by going to Google and typing them in. Joining a discord is just an extra step that could be replaced with a subreddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

How discord works anyway?

Is a service you have to rent, and all the data is in their servers, or is more like a open source thing that you install in a server. Who hold the data? Can I download a entire Discord server of conversations?

Discord has bad discoverability for information, but usually the question you have is already answered in a pinned message

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

ungulateman posted:

i'm doing that and i can't get anywhere past compression 8

you just need more talents, without the Shrine & all 3 accords talent it's going to take you way longer.

once you have that, just set your archers to ice arrows, the rest of your gnops to standard arrows, double your garden output, grab the vulnerability upgrade from rockets, and load the gently caress up on smashers w/ max combo. try to get breaktime before compression 8 fully unlocked so you can tell your gatherers to take a snooze, and remmeber you can turnoff the shockwave flowers.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tei posted:

Is a service you have to rent

...no? Spinning up a discord server is free, that's the entire point.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kyrosiris posted:

...no? Spinning up a discord server is free, that's the entire point.

You just gotta hope that the dev and or mods don't have some sort of temper tantrum and delete the whole thing

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I go on idle game discords all the time and have never had any problem asking questions.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

( :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0IaGfpz1O0

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Yeah, that all runs counter to my experience with random game discords, there's always like two or three people on a given server who literally cannot wait to answer random questions because they get off on being the person who knows the answer to everything

That being said, the real intense spreadsheet-addicted people in the pins are always where the -correct- answers are, so ymmv

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Meeko posted:

you just need more talents, without the Shrine & all 3 accords talent it's going to take you way longer.

once you have that, just set your archers to ice arrows, the rest of your gnops to standard arrows, double your garden output, grab the vulnerability upgrade from rockets, and load the gently caress up on smashers w/ max combo. try to get breaktime before compression 8 fully unlocked so you can tell your gatherers to take a snooze, and remmeber you can turnoff the shockwave flowers.

My endgame build was taking all +combo talents for slammers, and the +drone baby. You only need a handful of slammers because the drone babies only care about average combo length. Acid + vulnerability + ice will take you to compression 10. Make sure to always buy at least 10 drones every single compression. I didn’t mess with Mountaineers at all really.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I beat it without running any slammers -- weakpoint spam with grenade arrows from the rifles and timeskip bombers auto-popping them is very effective, but most of your power is tied up in the final bracket of upgrades. The jump from barely reaching Compression 10 at 14 talents to getting an easy win at 17 talents was pretty stark.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Optimal Gnorp strategy - click everything that can be clicked and watch the funny little guys make new colors and do silly stuff.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
any good Steam-based idler's you all recommend? (I heavily prefer not playing them on my phone anymore because its too much of a life distraction there).

I really don't mind paying money for the game if it means there's minimal/no micro-transactions after the initial purchase.

Here's ones ive already played:

-cookie clicker
-ngu idle
-realm grinder (my favorite before they did that awful UI/graphics update that made everything hard to read/spot).
-cell to singularity
-leaf blower revolution
-clicker heroes
-melvor idle (second most favorite because of the heavy runescape vibes, havent played since 2021. have they added more since then?)
-adventure capitalist/communist

I really liked realm grinder because there were "builds" that allowed you to favor active gameplay vs passive gameplay and other little wrinkles. i probably played it as long as I did because you could determine your level of engagement and still make things fun, or at least go through different engagement levels without getting bored.

god bless all of you for your help in advance.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Melvor has added quite appreciably since 2021, so if you enjoyed it previously then that seems a safe bet.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

buglord posted:

any good Steam-based idler's you all recommend? (I heavily prefer not playing them on my phone anymore because its too much of a life distraction there).

I really don't mind paying money for the game if it means there's minimal/no micro-transactions after the initial purchase.

-cookie clicker
-ngu idle
-realm grinder (my favorite before they did that awful UI/graphics update that made everything hard to read/spot).
-cell to singularity
-leaf blower revolution
-clicker heroes
-melvor idle (second most favorite because of the heavy runescape vibes, havent played since 2021. have they added more since then?)

I really liked realm grinder because there were "builds" that allowed you to favor active gameplay vs passive gameplay and other little wrinkles. i probably played it as long as I did because you could determine your level of engagement and still make things fun, or at least go through different engagement levels without getting bored.

I pitched Idle Spiral again recently, that's a Steam game. Also ITRTG is also on Steam I think, kind of a pre-NGU. Farmer vs Potato Idle might be best given your comments on Realm Grinder. And then Trimps also has a Steam version.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

CubicalSucrose posted:

Also ITRTG is also on Steam I think, kind of a pre-NGU.

it was literally the inspiration for NGU, 4g was a big big ITRTG player

melvor is actually pretty cool. the game is INSANELY dense at the start and they throw way too many buttons at you, and combat feels Real Bad to start, but with a little direction from township tasks you can pick a skill and just go fukken ham on it until it makes you a bunch of money and then figure out the other skills from there. I'm starting to see some of the interconnectedness being interesting now and I'll probably play this one for a good long while

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The melvor mod store is neat, never seen direct mod integration in an idler before.

socialsecurity fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 26, 2023

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

The melvor mod store is near, never seen direct mod integration in an idler before.

Best part is the mods integrate cross platform, so I’m not in a situation where I’m getting the benefits on my PC and missing them on mobile or vice versa.

Very good stuff in there, some stuff is pretty cheaty but it’s a single player idle game, so go for it if that’s your thing.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Tortolia posted:

Melvor has added quite appreciably since 2021, so if you enjoyed it previously then that seems a safe bet.

To add to this, I had a near-maxed account just before the first expansion hit (late last year) and I'm trying out the Ancient Relic mode on a new fresh character, just to see how much better leveling is now than it used to be, and the addition of all the more interconnected skills (summoning, township, agility, the expansion skills) has improved the game considerably. I'm pretty sure most of these new skills were added between now and when you (buglord) last played I would recommend giving that mode a go, and if you don't like the restrictions on that mode you can always switch back to your original character still.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

buglord posted:

any good Steam-based idler's you all recommend?

SPACEPLAN is great, and actually has an end.

To The Core is much more active incremental, but was quite fun. Also has an end.

Orb of Creation has a few good systems to mess with and can be played as more of an idler if you want. Doesn't have a hard end point but also isn't finished and updates very infrequently.

I wish there were more of these that end after 10-20 hours instead of expecting your attention for months or years and require a PhD to play.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

buglord posted:

I have enjoyed the Incremental Epic Hero games, would recommend 2 over 1. You manage a team of 6 characters of different classes and skills, send them to various zones where they grind up gear, and eventually "ascend" your world, craft powerful gear and slowly but surely do things faster and faster. F2p, similar monetization scheme to NGU where you have a premium currency you accrue daily by saving / logging on and use to buy upgrades of varying qa and power.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
To The Core had a nice early and mid-game of trying to dig through the different planets before you run out of fuel, but I found the late game unsatisfying because it makes your drill 100% obsolete, with the planets just getting cored before you can make any input by lasers. I would have preferred to go full Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagann on the planets.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have used time buttons to complete the Astrology Skill to 120, all masteries. It was fun, I still had to calculate the jumps in time, juggling mastery tokens and XP, and just letting the number go.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Red Minjo posted:

To The Core had a nice early and mid-game of trying to dig through the different planets before you run out of fuel, but I found the late game unsatisfying because it makes your drill 100% obsolete, with the planets just getting cored before you can make any input by lasers. I would have preferred to go full Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagann on the planets.

I find it hard to put away, because I want to see what new sheaenigan can do with mining. But I feel I am less far than you.

Is a cool game :D

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

buglord posted:

-cookie clicker
-ngu idle
-cell to singularity
-leaf blower revolution
-clicker heroes

I've pitched Factory Town Idle in this thread before. I really like that game. It's so relaxing, and you can automate as much of it as you want if you want a hands-off or hands-on experience.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Ironwood RPG: We've got another event fully funded, I'm inclined to do a cycle that is Gather->Craft->Gather->Combat->GoTo1; any disagreement from the rest of the guild? If I don't hear anything, I'll start a combat event tomorrow.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Ham Equity posted:

Ironwood RPG: We've got another event fully funded, I'm inclined to do a cycle that is Gather->Craft->Gather->Combat->GoTo1; any disagreement from the rest of the guild? If I don't hear anything, I'll start a combat event tomorrow.

Hearing no objection, Combat Event has been started.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I had a lot of fun with "To the core".

- It gets crazier and crazier.
- Instead of having less options theres more and more options for upgrades.
- Sometimes theres so much poo poo on my screen a 2023 computer gets laggier.
- It ends.

\o/ great tiny game

buglord posted:

To the Core is very active, so it gets in the list because that.

My personal favorite is Your Chronicle, because is very story based, and suport ultra idle modes. So you may not like it. Its somewhat a classic.

Tei fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 31, 2023

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Are there any new android idles worth checking out?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The thing that got me through the higher tiers of Gnorp and helped me unlock the last tier of upgrade was the realization that Baby Drones scale their damage with tiers just like regular drones scale their carry capacity, during the later tiers they can account for a lot of your damage output. You always want to buy a chunk of drones every tier level so they turn into Baby Drones - about 10 or so for the first few tiers and then maybe 5-7 per tier after that when they start getting prohibitively expensive.

Anyway, Gnorp was fun, no particular desire to go back and replay it though. Any other relatively short idlers, Steam or no, with an actual ending? To The Core sounds fun, might give that a try.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Orb of Creation can be done in like 4-12 hours for your first run. It is very active, you can idle for like 5-10 minutes at a time or press buttons. Very intricate idler, one of the best, go for the steam beta.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

KirbyKhan posted:

Orb of Creation can be done in like 4-12 hours for your first run. It is very active, you can idle for like 5-10 minutes at a time or press buttons. Very intricate idler, one of the best, go for the steam beta.

TBH you can basically play it twice. The main release is good, and then the current beta release is a vastly different game wearing the same skin. Warning it's been radio silence from the dev for a full 3 months now but given that I've played through the current version three times because it's so fun it's still worth the price. Just don't be sad when the unlocks just end and leave you hangin'.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

is thieving supposed to feel like cheating in melvor? it feels like i hit a spot where i can finance all the thieving glove purchases i need with nothing more than the returns i get thieving with the buff from the gloves charged and nothing else but the progression feels so much faster than the rest of the mechanics once you get over the initial hump and get a target or two to 100% and idle at that overnight

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Only been playing Melvor since Epic gave it away, but I didn't have too much luck with thieving since I couldn't afford auto-eating from it. Fishing was way more productive and ended up being my first level 99. Once you have the octopus/pig summoning synergy active it starts making tons of money.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i spent a bunch of time not-really-idling thieving and after 2 days of starting thieving i had the first 2 auto eat upgrades unlocked, though i had spent quite a bit of time leveling combat skills so i had a decent pool of HP if i got stunned so really only had to pay attention to it every ten minutes or so

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Managed to turn to the core into an idle game by getting static shock and just sitting my ship with the drill pointing up until i shock my way to the core.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

is thieving supposed to feel like cheating in melvor? it feels like i hit a spot where i can finance all the thieving glove purchases i need with nothing more than the returns i get thieving with the buff from the gloves charged and nothing else but the progression feels so much faster than the rest of the mechanics once you get over the initial hump and get a target or two to 100% and idle at that overnight

Yeah that’s normal. Thieving is a way to make some gold while getting some targeted drops that will help with other stuff, but you should be able to sustain the gloves pretty easily once you have a decent target at 100%.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thieving is a cheat code to progression for a significant number of skills and to fund account wide purchases like bank slots and feature unlocks and the only reason it isn’t as simple to onboard as something like fishing or woodcutting is you have to manually keep an eye on your HP if you aren’t coming into it with auto-eat.

But it’s also an extremely low bar to clear to get the Man on enough success rate to make thieving gloves self-sustaining purchases, at which case building thieving skill and npc mastery with the Man/Woman to be able to risk-free offline idle those is not much farther out. There’s also quite a few stealth/thieving boosters available both from early npcs and other sources (agility, astrology) that leaping into some of the other really good early npcs like the farmer is rapid.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

If you're playing on a normal mode you also have natural HP regen which, after an hour or so of watching your health thieving from the man, is generally enough to keep yourself alive, but it's also based on your max HP and rounded down, so reaching a multiple of 10 HP levels is useful too. On my adventure save I was able to thieve overnight after the 2nd day, and got about 4M gold from it, without having auto-eat.

Some other tips I've heard: damage reduction works, prayers work but don't consume PP, so put on your best DR gear and, if you have them unlocked, the DR and don't lose items prayers.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Xerol posted:

Some other tips I've heard: damage reduction works, prayers work but don't consume PP, so put on your best DR gear and, if you have them unlocked, the DR and don't lose items prayers.

These are all accurate. If you haven’t unlocked the coinpurse, put a shield in your offhand. Put your best chest/legs on since there isn’t any thieving gear competition for chest like ever and legs are 100+. Each point of DR drops a max hit by like 3 HP which not only can shove you into a safe auto-eat threshold but also drops the average hits you are taking too. I’ve deliberately removed some thieving or GP pieces on borderline thieving jobs to get myself into a safe HP threshold; it’s certainly less efficient but if I’m trying to farm a specific item before going back to a normal 100% or high-percentage safe NPC, it’s worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I bought Gnorp yesterday and got 10 prestige points. I took a good long think and tried to get that 11th point using my own human brain, but just didn't press the right combination of buttons.

I am now reading Gnorp texts. My instincts were right on housing and garden being first zygnorp purchases.