Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm so glad I got the Biolante blu-ray for $8 over a decade ago.

I have it on DVD in a couple different packs, all with different G movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm so glad I got the Biolante blu-ray for $8 over a decade ago.

What's the going price these days for one? $300 or so?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oh goddamnit this Godzilla Blu-ray I got used the loving Chinese menu font for the menus.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Baby Godzilla is a disgusting little creature, isn’t it?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Gripweed posted:

Oh goddamnit this Godzilla Blu-ray I got used the loving Chinese menu font for the menus.

lol

Gripweed posted:

Baby Godzilla is a disgusting little creature, isn’t it?

no matter which one you're talking about, yes

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
it's a proud tradition

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

imo for biollante and the other heisei films archive dot org is gonna be your best bet

Worth pointing out here, the burned in fan subs for Destoroyah are pretty amateurish. You can follow the story and repeatedly spelling "ridiculous" wrong isn't a CRIME, but still, they couldn't help themselves from doing a Zero Wing "Take Off Every Zig/You Know What You Doing" joke at one point.

I'm not sure if I admire or despise that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ok so the in this sequence we establish that this guy likes pteranodons so much he (bought? invented?) a flying dirt bike shaped like a pteranodon, and then a class of psychic little girls goes on a field trip to sing an evil magic song in adult voices to baby Godzilla.

This is a strange movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ladies and gentlemen, we must explode Godzilla’s rear end.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Gripweed posted:

Ok so the in this sequence we establish that this guy likes pteranodons so much he (bought? invented?) a flying dirt bike shaped like a pteranodon, and then a class of psychic little girls goes on a field trip to sing an evil magic song in adult voices to baby Godzilla.

This is a strange movie.

I love how hostile his superiors are: "G-Force isn't a summer camp for dinosaur freaks like you!" well where the hell else should a guy obsessed with dinosaurs work???

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

All the Mechagodilla pilots saying "I'm glad Godzilla defeated us. He was right to do it, philosophically" was a strange note to end on

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Gripweed posted:

All the Mechagodilla pilots saying "I'm glad Godzilla defeated us. He was right to do it, philosophically" was a strange note to end on

wait for the next one if you want some weird ...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

There are Godzilla movies where he represents punishment for man's folly, and Godzilla movies where there are bad humans, but this is the one film in the series I can name where humanity, explicitly, as a collective are the bad guys.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

There are Godzilla movies where he represents punishment for man's folly, and Godzilla movies where there are bad humans, but this is the one film in the series I can name where humanity, explicitly, as a collective are the bad guys.

Might be why this is one of my favorite Heisei films. You get Godzilla clowning on humans AND you get to cheer him on!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

I love how hostile his superiors are: "G-Force isn't a summer camp for dinosaur freaks like you!" well where the hell else should a guy obsessed with dinosaurs work???

I can't get over that paying off by the guy being able to get out of Garuda because he brought his flying Pteranodon bike to work. They didn't need to do that, there could have just been a ladder on the robot! Or they could have even just shown him opening a hatch and then cut to him on the ground, the specific means he used to get out of the robot didn't need to be shown, and definitely didn't need to be established by a whole subplot!

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I like how it was a studio mandate that the all Heisei monsters get a transformation but the two lamest ones are in the Mechagodzilla film. Sure. "Fire Rodan." Mechagodzilla gets a backpack.

Yes, of course Space Godzilla's biggest-boy crystal backpack for space counts.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Desumaytah posted:

I like how it was a studio mandate that the all Heisei monsters get a transformation but the two lamest ones are in the Mechagodzilla film. Sure. "Fire Rodan." Mechagodzilla gets a backpack.

"Super Mechagodzilla", they weren't being shy about where they got that idea

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Saw a sneak on one of the new monsters in GvK and the name is both amazing and hilarious.

Shimo

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

I just want to make it known that I had next to zero hopes going in that Minus One would rule, at all, let alone as hard as it did. The previews I saw of it made it seem like rushed, polished, mall arcade fare. I was expecting Godzilla - The Ride - The Movie" and ended up getting "Shut the gently caress up and watch this."

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Desumaytah posted:

I just want to make it known that I had next to zero hopes going in that Minus One would rule, at all, let alone as hard as it did. The previews I saw of it made it seem like rushed, polished, mall arcade fare. I was expecting Godzilla - The Ride - The Movie" and ended up getting "Shut the gently caress up and watch this."

You managed to avoid like all discussion of it huh?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It seems that in a desperate need to create more head canon, some people are viewing Oppenheimer as a prequel to Minus One..

Which is weird as Oppenheimer turned down an invite to attend the detonation at Bikini Atoll and furthermore protested against it, adding that they could get just as good data from a laboratory..

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, the talk inspired me to finally see some Heisei Godzilla since it was up on free streaming. Decided to start with Ghidora, since it was the earliest one I could find free. And you know what?

I had fun.

To be clear, I'm not saying it was good (and I appreciate Shin and Minus One so much for their part in making that a necessary clarification for a modern day Godzilla movie). The characters were thin, the time travel mechanics made no sense even by action movie standards, the effects for the android were terrible, and the acting from the Americans was worse. If I was just rating it on the conventional metrics, this would probably not be a pleasant conversation.

But this is, in the old sense of the word, a Godzilla sequel. It's a movie where two guys in rubber suits beat the poo poo out of each other while destroying a major metropolitan area, and in that light it's excellent. The plot goes from UFOs and talk about respecting the dinosaur to time travel and robots to a Godzillasaurus slaughtering Marines like it was an issue of the Silver Age Suicide Squad to the one everyone's been waiting for with King Ghidora and Godzilla, followed up with cyborg King Ghidora getting a rematch.

It's exactly what Destroy All Monsters failed at, a fast paced dumb ride where giant monsters get in fights and the thinly sketched humans have ridiculous action to fill the time between giant monster fights.

In my childhood, the Heisei era was always in a strange place. At once, it was distant and right close. I had seen old Godzilla films plenty on TV and VHS from the library, but toy store shelves and newspaper articles and comics all showed a new Godzilla series, with new releases and crazy plots and an even bigger Godzilla going through a continuing plot. A series that, for the most part, wasn't available anywhere I could get to, except as descriptions in a magazine. A series that had the allure of the green light at Daisy's dock, shining on KB Toys shelves as Mecha Godzilla roared his electronic approval.

They were released on VHS eventually, of course, part of the marketing for the 90s American Godzilla (a film I saw at a drive-in, before having the better experience of seeing 2000 in a near-empty theater), but I never managed to get around to seeing them... until now.

And yeah. That was a lot of dumb fun. Not sure if it's exactly what I always dreamed it would be, but it's a lot closer than I'd been afraid of.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gerund posted:

Godzilla being specifically mean to humans in its way made the happy ending feel much more earned. I didnt catch the black goo on the neck but the line "is your war over" still made me think on how the hero is now going to have to help his injured psuedo-wife in her war of recovery, so I don't think I missed too much from the ending.

I’m happy with this interpretation.

Very good movie. I approve.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Does Toho have the courage to make another Godzilla movie where the plot largely focuses on psychic powers?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Binary Badger posted:

It seems that in a desperate need to create more head canon, some people are viewing Oppenheimer as a prequel to Minus One..

Which is weird as Oppenheimer turned down an invite to attend the detonation at Bikini Atoll and furthermore protested against it, adding that they could get just as good data from a laboratory..

It actually is a prequel irl too

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Barry Lyndon is in continuity with the Heisei Godzilla series, but it never comes up.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

It is very funny to me that the two movies I chose to watch in theaters this year both revolved around themes of nuclear-age fears ngl. Granted, not that Minus One ruminates too much on that compared to other Godzilla movies, but it's still a theme that's implicitly there just from the presence of Godzilla itself.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gripweed posted:

Does Toho have the courage to make another Godzilla movie where the plot largely focuses on psychic powers?

We need to bring back even fairly realistic films having psychic powers as a plot point...

Parapsychology in the mainstream needs a comeback.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Gripweed posted:

I can't get over that paying off by the guy being able to get out of Garuda because he brought his flying Pteranodon bike to work. They didn't need to do that, there could have just been a ladder on the robot! Or they could have even just shown him opening a hatch and then cut to him on the ground, the specific means he used to get out of the robot didn't need to be shown, and definitely didn't need to be established by a whole subplot!

they really wanted that fuckin pteranodon bike in the movie

(from toho kingdom's concept art gallery)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mogera is so cool. Even cooler than Mechagodzilla, many people are saying.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shame about Mogera being stuck in a bad movie. That can really be said about most of thr kaiju and mecha in godzilla. Even if the movie is weak the suits are cool and deserve better.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The hooded coats with shiny sleeves that are apparently the uniform for psychic women in the UN’s anti-Godzilla team are the strangest thing I’ve seen in a Godzilla movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OK I finished Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla. The first half or so is not good. There's all these baffling subplots that go nowhere, like the psychic lady getting kidnapped and the guy who thinks he can kill Godzilla by shooting him with a bullet.

I also really want to call out the music in the first Godzilla appearance. Godzilla is unambiguously the good guy in this movie. His first appearance is preceded by a long sequence of playing around with his kid who is bigger but somehow way more babylike now. Godzilla is arriving at an uninhabited island where he poses no danger to anyone. The tension in the scene is two guys are trying to hit Godzilla with a psychic resonator so the psychic woman can try to steer him away from cities in the future. If they mess up, they'll have to try again later. So overall this is an incredibly low stakes Godzilla situation. But they start off with the full on Godzilla theme and then transition to some ominous action music like Godzilla is destroying a city or something. It's horrifically out of place!

But, Space Godzilla and Moguera are two of the coolest looking guys in this whole franchise. Whenever they're on screen, I'm happy.

And once the movie gets to the incredibly long action sequence in crystalized Fukuoka, it's insanely badass. All of that is great.

Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla is definitely a mixed bag, but I'd easily rank it above Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II just for all that great Fukuoka content.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
I'm loving the heisei reviews Gripweed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

I'm loving the heisei reviews Gripweed

Since my copy of Whale God finally shipped that's probably gonna be the next kaiju movie I watch, and unfortunately I doubt it will be anywhere near as weird as these two Godzilla movies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Desumaytah posted:

In earlier drafts the plan was for Mechagodzilla to be even more of a Voltron/Megazord with multiple modules that could detach, hence why Mogera in Space Godzilla turns into two things, but yeah it just wasn't practically feasible at the time.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Maxwell Lord posted:

In earlier drafts the plan was for Mechagodzilla to be even more of a Voltron/Megazord with multiple modules that could detach, hence why Mogera in Space Godzilla turns into two things, but yeah it just wasn't practically feasible at the time.

he looks like an anime mech in some of these concept drawings

here's a cool proposed G-Force base too:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That looks like one of those Sentai robots where they combined too many robots so the suit is impossible to move in.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Gripweed posted:

That looks like one of those Sentai robots where they combined too many robots so the suit is impossible to move in.

i just noticed it looks like they stuck mecha king ghidorah's head onto the tail :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

wdarkk posted:

You managed to avoid like all discussion of it huh?

I read a few posts in this thread that piqued my interest and got a few youtube recs and decided "Eh. What the hell."

So, maybe there was a little bit of anticipation.