Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://x.com/flying_rodent/status/1739420922619027560?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

guh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Scientastic posted:

I fell asleep after lunch watching Dawn of the Nugget, now it’s time to eat a lot of cheese

I had a ten minute nap part way through that film and it gave me what I needed to power through the rest of the afternoon

It's been a good year, we had lasagne

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Still, swings and roundabouts. Keith is going to have a big old crackdown on sweets

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Scientastic posted:

I fell asleep after lunch watching Dawn of the Nugget, now it’s time to eat a lot of cheese

sebzilla posted:

I had a ten minute nap part way through that film and it gave me what I needed to power through the rest of the afternoon

does dawn of the nugget have a hypnosis scene halfway through the movie or something. what did it imprint into your vulnerable sleeping brains

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Merry Christmas all 🎄

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJztkDaURJY

Only registered members can see post attachments!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

It's been a good year, we had lasagne

I had a 3 ish hour post dinner nap and it ruled. Highly recommend napping

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Still, swings and roundabouts. Keith is going to have a big old crackdown on sweets

On the one hand, yes, a bunch of these are obvious money-laundering fronts. On the other hand, the odds of New New Labour having serious, useful ideas for revitalising urban industries outside of money-laundering seem slim.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

smellmycheese posted:

What the gently caress. I'm not going to two different shops for my Airheads and Lady Di mugs. You can gently caress that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Of all the problems in the UK I don't think lovely candy shops are one anyone really gives a poo poo about.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Of all the problems in the UK I don't think lovely candy shops are one anyone really gives a poo poo about.

They're one of our more obvious, visible signs of institutional criminality, so they're an easy thing to build a crackdown around. Problem is that they're very much a symptom rather than the disease.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

They're one of our more obvious, visible signs of institutional criminality, so they're an easy thing to build a crackdown around. Problem is that they're very much a symptom rather than the disease.

I was under the impression they're mostly a london thing so to me it feels like another one of those stupid things politiicans only care about because it's in front of them.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

I was under the impression they're mostly a london thing so to me it feels like another one of those stupid things politiicans only care about because it's in front of them.

I think you're likely to see one appear in any decaying high street over the course of a year but then it's one shop amid a sea of closed store fronts, charity shops and all kinds of weird tat vendors so it's not really notable.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Nah that poo poo is all over these days, it's the only shop left on most High streets (hyperbole but only slightly)

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Your kids will probably feel loads better about never being able to afford their own home when Keith's anti-money-laundering task force dawn raid Fone Converters

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The world is a truly bizarre place, American candy shops are money laundering fronts? I thought people just liked Mike & Ike's

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hm I've never noticed one. We have a couple of sweet shops but they're like, actual sweet shops full of jars and they sell mix ups. And only one per town. I know london has streets full of them or something.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Ms Adequate posted:

The world is a truly bizarre place, American candy shops are money laundering fronts? I thought people just liked Mike & Ike's

If you've ever wondered "huh, it's weird that place is still open": money laundering

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if my local sweet shops are money laundering they still shouldn't be investigated cos they do nice sweets.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier posted:

Doing something about rising commercial rents and bills will upset some people though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Wachter posted:

If you've ever wondered "huh, it's weird that place is still open": money laundering

Well that's the thing, I didn't. I just thought they'd supplanted the more traditional sweet shop by having stuff people wanted more or whatever :shrug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

I know london has streets full of them or something.

Oxford Street is the big one. It's pathetic to walk down now - just rows of ugly, empty sweet shops.

The big famous HMV looks like this now:

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

This paragraph from the article is key:

quote:

Marks & Spencer’s chief executive, Stuart Machin, warned in April that London was “on life support”, in part because of the “proliferation of tacky candy stores” on Oxford Street, which had left the city “a national embarrassment”.

The "dodgy" aspect is less the financial crime and more the unsightliness. Ate that foreign muck, love me Percy Pigs

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I watched that Rebel Moon film on Netflix and it's one of the most weirdly-bland films I've watched in years.
The script feels like it was written by an AI trained exclusively on cliches and everything else feels like they just grabbed an assortment of genres and IP-knockoffs and threw them into the mix.

Most people could tell you that combing bad facsimiles of Warhammer 40K, Vikings, The Magnificent Seven and Star Wars would be a really bad idea, but it seems like no-one involved cared enough to give a poo poo.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

look not to open yet another front in the eternal snyder war but

kingturnip posted:

Most people could tell you that combing bad facsimiles of Warhammer 40K, Vikings, The Magnificent Seven and Star Wars would be a really bad idea,

???

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Until the title card came up in the trailer I was convinced Rebel Moon was a Firefly reboot

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

stev posted:

Oxford Street is the big one. It's pathetic to walk down now - just rows of ugly, empty sweet shops.

The big famous HMV looks like this now:

HMV reopened it like a month ago link

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kecske posted:

HMV reopened it like a month ago link

Ikea are opening up a new store too in Oxford St:

https://www.timeout.com/london/news/whats-going-on-with-oxford-streets-massive-new-ikea-store-101623

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kingturnip posted:

I watched that Rebel Moon film on Netflix and it's one of the most weirdly-bland films I've watched in years.
The script feels like it was written by an AI trained exclusively on cliches and everything else feels like they just grabbed an assortment of genres and IP-knockoffs and threw them into the mix.

Most people could tell you that combing bad facsimiles of Warhammer 40K, Vikings, The Magnificent Seven and Star Wars would be a really bad idea, but it seems like no-one involved cared enough to give a poo poo.

It was an actual Star Wars pitch film script from Synder that was rejected.
It's what your mother says when they have Star Wars at home.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

There may be trouble ahead....

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israeli-air-strike-syria-kills-senior-iranian-revolutionary-guards-member-2023-12-25/

quote:

Israeli airstrike in Syria kills senior Iranian Revolutionary Guards member

The Revolutionary Guards said Israel would suffer for killing Mousavi, who held the Guards' rank of brigadier-general.

"The usurper and savage Zionist regime will pay for this crime," the Guards said in a statement read on state TV.

Is it even worth dieting? Imagine you spend the last day before the world literally goes ballistic eating salad :barf: when you could be shovelling choccies & icecream down your cake hole instead.

From twitter:

quote:

BREAKING:

⚡ 🇮🇷 Iranian President:

"Israel will undoubtedly pay for this heinous crime"

'Israel on highest state of alert, awaiting possible Iranian response' - the Kann / N12 announced.

Reportedly, Brigadier-General Mousavi was in charge of logistics and arms shipments to Hezbollah and Iranian-backed groups in Syria

Israeli media are describing him as the 'highest ranking' Iranian official killed since Qasem Soleimani.

*Iran is acting very "patiently" and the answer will probably come after some time. In my opinion, Iran will also close the Mediterranean for commercial ships going to Israel, with kamikaze drones from Lebanon and will plunge Israel into a dangerous economic crisis and lack of many goods.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 26, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

happyhippy posted:

It was an actual Star Wars pitch film script from Synder that was rejected.
It's what your mother says when they have Star Wars at home.

I only lasted about 20 minutes before I switched off. It's a shame, as the trailer looked so promising

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

WTF?

https://x.com/SkyNews/status/1739433844040765747?s=20

If you watch it you'll see Larry isn't too happy about it!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Deleted due to grumpyguts below

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 26, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Aren't there enough containment threads for AI, we have to have it in here too?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Smoked turkey went off without a hitch. Had mum over for bacon sandwiches in the morning as she's a druid and doesn't celebrate Christmas.

So the rest of the day was lazily cooking , various family calls and then all the eating and drinking in the world with the lovely wife and a shitload of video games until far far too late.

Finally trying to work up the energy to empty the cat litter as everything else is clean and spotless now, but I'm covered in sleeping cats and it's 5am and might just say sod it.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

OwlFancier posted:

Seen a few in Liverpool but they never last long. Now sketchy nail salons...

Christmas was good, people liked their presents, I got the usual baffling stuff from well meaning relatives Then went to the inlaws for bad turkey and great chatter.

Home by seven, watched that dogshite snyder star wars film with my wife, while drinking too much fancy beer then passing out with the cat snoring on my lap.

Pretty peak chrimbo

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 26, 2023

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Spuckuk posted:

Seen a few in Liverpool but they never last long. Now sketchy nail salons...

There are so many nail places, barbers, and beauty places in Sheerness. Far more than in some bigger towns in the area.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

sinky posted:

Doing something about rising commercial rents and bills will upset some people though.

This will do that but in an indirect way. The vape/candy stores fill spots when rents rise. If they arnt allowed to then the shop rents will have to come down.

Of course the government could go after the rent rising directly but that would be anti landlord.

OwlFancier posted:

I've seen them in almost all large towns I've visited. It's not always candy stores, vape, phone accessory and nail salons are other ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Wachter posted:

tbh I wonder that about the UK economy in general