Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Goddamn I wanna see the elephants on a Roman boat crossing the channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Bovington Tank Museum now trolling me specifically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw9-EJKnRjU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

how much stuff did martin caidin invent for his book samurai! about saburo sakai?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

On top of all that, Elephants have a horrible breeding cycle where it's two years of gestation, one baby at a time, four years between pregnancies, and 9 years to reach maturity, as opposed to horses being mature at 3 years and gestating in just one year. It's such a sunk cost to just be breeding elephants at all, you can barely even think about selectively breeding them to get real domestication going, much less do all the warping of biology that we do with dogs.

Big things are big, but the camera wants them to be bigger, because it's hard to convey how big something is and how impressive that is when you're not in person.

Nenonen posted:

Horse was domesticated some 3500 BCE which seems to have been ample time to get to where we are now. Elephants are not much later, but they are considered to be just semi domisticated. My dummy understanding is that people would capture elephants from the wild time to time to use as work animals and other purposes and try to make them reproduce if possible, but since it takes a lot more work to manage elephants then any long term breeding program would take steady resources for a long time, which could and would be ruined by any historical mishap such as a war, plague, famine or the governing city burning down. Meanwhile a band of nomads could run a basic breeding program without any infrastructure. It would soon come to the point where people wouldn't try to capture and redomesticate wild horses (equus ferus) because it would be like trying to domesticate wolves when we have dogs. Meanwhile elephants have remained just elephants, if you need another one you can find one in the jungle.

I wonder what a domesticated war elephant would look like after 3000 years or even 500 years of dedicated breeding? Could you torture those genes to turn Asian elephant to look more like mastodon?

elephants weren't bred like horses, they were captured

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Gort posted:

The domesticated fox breeding program is interesting. I wonder how they avoided inbreeding when they only had 30 male foxes and 100 vixens to begin with?

inbreeding is the whole point if you want to breed some animal for a certain purpose

that's why mutts are way more healthy than some habsburgian pugs

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

VostokProgram posted:

I think it is well also for the man in the street to realise that there is no power on earth that can protect him from elephants. Whatever people may tell him, the elephant will always get through.

The Romans entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to trample everybody else and nobody was going to trample them. They sowed the elephant and now they are going to reap the herd.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

I remember that bit from "Dumbo"

I legit could see the Romans creating their own Luftwaffe if they had realized the power of flying elephants

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In 1861, King Rama IV offered to send elephants to the United States, as they make good labourers, and herds of elephants could replace the dwindling bison population. Lincoln politely declined. There's a myth that the elephants were war elephants, but that was never the original offer; Lincoln privately joked that the only use for elephants in the US would be to stomp out the rebels.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
Well now I’ll forever be heartbroken that the Civil War didn’t involve Confederates getting routed by war elephants.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Too bad that the elephant/donkey symbols weren't established yet, maybe Republicans would have accepted the deal as an election stunt. US army elephants would have looked good pulling cannons and ammo wagons in parades, at least.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nah, don't need to inflict that bullshit on the elephants. They're shockingly intelligent creatures that do poo poo like mourn dead members of their herd. They've been shown to suffer from PTSD like symptoms when bad poo poo goes down, too.

Don't get me wrong, ultimately the human suffering is greater. And I'm sure horses get hosed up, maybe there's horse PTSD I dunno. But those are wild animals, not ones bread in captivity. No need to capture them only to transport them to Antietam or whatever other hosed up battlefield is wallowing in blood this week. Let the big fellow be.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
A bridge even Turtledove hasn't crossed.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Russian Empire should have sent over some of their cloned mastodons to fight the confederates

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

The Russian Empire should have sent over some of their cloned mastodons to fight the confederates

Considering how real-life Russian history went, I'd fully expect any cloning program to end day 1 with the mass execution of all geneticists because the Cheka Okhrana overheard them saying something mildly bad about the Tsar.

Nenonen posted:

Given that Cheka was founded by Lenin I assume that you mean they should have used harsher language about the bloodsucking Romanovs :v:

(Okhrana was the imperial secret service)

You are of course right. For some reason, my brain, being build by the lowest bidder, tends to combine things that sound similarly. In this case, my mind wrongly connected Tsars and Tscheka, but it should have been the Okhrana

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 23, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Libluini posted:

Considering how real-life Russian history went, I'd fully expect any cloning program to end day 1 with the mass execution of all geneticists because the Cheka overheard them saying something mildly bad about the Tsar.

Given that Cheka was founded by Lenin I assume that you mean they should have used harsher language about the bloodsucking Romanovs :v:

(Okhrana was the imperial secret service)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nah, don't need to inflict that bullshit on the elephants. They're shockingly intelligent creatures that do poo poo like mourn dead members of their herd. They've been shown to suffer from PTSD like symptoms when bad poo poo goes down, too.

Don't get me wrong, ultimately the human suffering is greater. And I'm sure horses get hosed up, maybe there's horse PTSD I dunno. But those are wild animals, not ones bread in captivity. No need to capture them only to transport them to Antietam or whatever other hosed up battlefield is wallowing in blood this week. Let the big fellow be.

I assume these scenarios are in the hypothetical world where we actually successfully domesticated elephants.

For non-military purposes, elephants are slower than horses and about the same speed as cows, and are less efficient for how much they eat relative to how much they haul. I guess they're probably better with rough terrain, and they have some advantages for some specialized jobs like logging because they can do a lot of complicated refined manipulation with their trunks and tusks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Funny tho it be i don’t think you could actually scare elephants with lions. There’s plenty of nature docs you can watch where elephants encounter lions, and what they do is form a 360 phalanx of tusks and lion-proof skin around the calves. They stand their ground and smash lions for their babies :hist101:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Scare elephants with mice instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpTSA_25wGE

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Camel Corps could’ve been a thing though

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nessus posted:

This is a lucky strike country

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Ainsley McTree posted:

This is a lucky strike country

"Hey, Archimedes, how's the Roman fleet?"

"It's toasted!"

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nessus posted:

The Red Army mobilized camels when there was a shortage of draft horses in 1942. One of them even made it to Berlin.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

The Red Army mobilized camels when there was a shortage of draft horses in 1942. One of them even made it to Berlin.
Did it spit on Hitler

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Nessus posted:

What is the carrying capacity of camels vs horses or mules?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MikeC posted:

What is the carrying capacity of camels vs horses or mules?

Similar, but you have to be extremely careful when loading straw

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Similar, but you have to be extremely careful when loading straw

:golfclap:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Buuuuu

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Here's one trying to get a look at Vasily Grossman's newspaper:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I assume these scenarios are in the hypothetical world where we actually successfully domesticated elephants.

For non-military purposes, elephants are slower than horses

To be fair, they also terrify the gently caress out of non-trained horses (a smell thing and i assume also just the size), which seems to have been about 50% of their military utility as far as I can tell.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

ChubbyChecker posted:

inbreeding is the whole point if you want to breed some animal for a certain purpose

that's why mutts are way more healthy than some habsburgian pugs

Yeah, inbreeding is a way to amplify traits effectively, for good or ill, though I recall hearing once canines seem to have more "flexible" chromosomes than many animals, so it's easier to get mutations (and therefore different breeds) out of them. The big thing from the fox experiment I remember was that merely selecting for animals which were calmer interacting with humans (i.e. the ones less likely to bite/threaten primitive humans back when domestication started and thus more likely to be tolerated around humans) was enough to get foxes with traits similar to dogs (like more "puppy" features in adults and I think reading human gestures/words better?). Suggests why they were domesticated so early; even basic human desire to tame whatever cute fluffy animal they might see would be a good first step towards doing that.

Nessus posted:

Hmm, dumb question, but can camels be trained to charge like horses can? Trying to recall if I've ever heard of them specifically being used as cavalry fighting mounts, most of the mentions I can think of were about them as decent pack animals in the appropriate environments. Maybe skirmishing/ranged platforms?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_the_Suez_Canal

It seems the Bikaner Camel Corps engaged in a successful camel-cavalry (camelry? dromidarii?) charge in 1915 around the Suez Canal. As it was successful, the camel cavalry charge seems to be the most successful of all tactics, with a 100% success rate. Taste the flavor.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Camelry.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_the_Suez_Canal

It seems the Bikaner Camel Corps engaged in a successful camel-cavalry (camelry? dromidarii?) charge in 1915 around the Suez Canal. As it was successful, the camel cavalry charge seems to be the most successful of all tactics, with a 100% success rate. Taste the flavor.

camels are still used in the desert bit of the india-pakistan border

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

camels are still used in the desert bit of the india-pakistan border
Yeah it seems like there are innumerable cases of use of camels as mounts/cartage but this was a confirmed case of a charge on camelback. Why, when the US military has a charge on camelback it just means a private has to buy a new one at the PX.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
The Parthians had camel-mounted cataphracts which I'm pretty sure means you can train camels to charge given that's cataphracts' whole thing.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Seems like the best method would be to get the camels to do a spit attack just before impact so the enemy is blinded/grossed out.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

FishFood posted:

The Parthians had camel-mounted cataphracts which I'm pretty sure means you can train camels to charge given that's cataphracts' whole thing.

That’s badass.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

According to Herodotus the smell of camels scared horses, and this seems to be supported by modern evidence. Horses get easily startled if they encounter something strange and new, but can also be taught to tolerate them. So if your enemy has horses that haven't met camels and you have camels that have encountered horses, then your cam-cav has a potential shock effect.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Nenonen posted:

According to Herodotus the smell of camels scared horses, and this seems to be supported by modern evidence. Horses get easily startled if they encounter something strange and new, but can also be taught to tolerate them. So if your enemy has horses that haven't met camels and you have camels that have encountered horses, then your cam-cav has a potential shock effect.
Until the enemy seizes camels as both a training aid and a possible new livestock. Do camels give a poo poo about horses charging them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Being charged by camelphracts sounds like the kind of thing that would cause a pretty speedy rout if the folks on the receiving end aren't aware of what camelphracts sound like given the lack of hooves.