Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Washington hasn't won since November 5. If the Niners can't beat them then they never deserved the #1 seed anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I mean...we shut down their vaunted running game pretty well. Save for the one Lamar run, they didn't do anything. If not for the 3 tips that found hands, it's a very different game. I wonder what the numbers are on tips. I know more find their way to the defense than to the offense, but I'm betting it is still fewer than 50% that don't hit the ground. Probably less than 33%

Whoever was on Deebo did a good job shutting him down, though. That was the one thing that did impress me tonight.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm still pretty well convinced they'll probably make the Superbowl if they get that bye.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
So you think their biggest threat is a low seed wild card?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

it's not easy playing the Ravens!

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Waltzing Along posted:

Just gotta tip your cap to a team getting 3 tipped INTs in one game. Fumbles are pretty much 50-50 but tips are much lower than that. Ravens played well, but got really lucky on those bounces. Game was a lot closer than the score. They didn't really stop the offense so much as get 3 tips that stopped drives. Other than that, the 49ers moved the ball about as well as they do every week.

On one hand I agree with you - the Niners are a very good team and showed some good defensive stops and long offensive drives that demonstrate they can hang with the Ravens. If the teams meet again in the Superbowl I would consider the outcome very much in doubt.

On the other hand, I think the luck mostly evened out in this game. It's easy to forget in the first quarter the Niners were effectively gifted two turnovers with tripping over the ref in the end zone and an egregiously ticky-tack defensive holding penalty away from the ball on third down.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
There were a couple bad breaks but those just tip it (har har) into embarrassing territory, it was an rear end-kicking on merit.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DancingMachine posted:

On one hand I agree with you - the Niners are a very good team and showed some good defensive stops and long offensive drives that demonstrate they can hang with the Ravens. If the teams meet again in the Superbowl I would consider the outcome very much in doubt.

On the other hand, I think the luck mostly evened out in this game. It's easy to forget in the first quarter the Niners were effectively gifted two turnovers with tripping over the ref in the end zone and an egregiously ticky-tack defensive holding penalty away from the ball on third down.

The tipped balls (and I think it was only two tips and one where Purdy’s arm got hit) were also all tipped by defenders, it’s not like the bad lucks plays where a WR just whiffs and knocks it into coverage. In one case Purdy through it straight into an advancing defender and in the other he threw to a guy who was well covered. The defense created those plays even if they also benefited from a little luck on the ricochets.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

The only thing that didnt go exactly to script were the injuries, but this all but seals an insipring playoff rematch narrative.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
That was a rough game, but I don't feel as bad as opposed to their earlier losses. The Ravens are a very good team and I'm glad the next time the 49ers could play them is in the Super Bowl.

Just gotta buckle down and focus on winning the next two games. Seattle gave the 49ers a gift by beating the Eagles and you can't squander an opportunity like that.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

OGS-Remix posted:

That was a rough game, but I don't feel as bad as opposed to their earlier losses. The Ravens are a very good team and I'm glad the next time the 49ers could play them is in the Super Bowl.

Just gotta buckle down and focus on winning the next two games. Seattle gave the 49ers a gift by beating the Eagles and you can't squander an opportunity like that.

The Cardinals can do their NFC West pals a solid next week!

I will die laughing if they do.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Watching sam darnold and the last remnants of our backup OL attempt two game winning drives was excruciating because for about six or eight plays it looked actually believable. It was probably the right decision for Shanny to hold Purdy out because we need him healthy for the playoffs, but man it sucks too.

The ravens are clearly very very good and this was another game where I was mad about missed niners tackles. Also mad about several tough penalties. The Ravens started most of their scoring drives in 9ers territory. Yuck.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Every year I pick my AFC bandwagon team and while it has been the Bills for a while now, I picked the Ravens this season and it has been so rewarding.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Leperflesh posted:

Watching sam darnold and the last remnants of our backup OL attempt two game winning drives was excruciating because for about six or eight plays it looked actually believable. It was probably the right decision for Shanny to hold Purdy out because we need him healthy for the playoffs, but man it sucks too.

CapnAndy posted:

you know, I think maybe -- just maybe -- any halfway decent QB would be good with CMC and Samuels as targets

Jeers to Purdy
Cheers to CMC

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

What in the Sam Hill was that poo poo?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/mellem_esq/status/1739372882239574142?t=mCX6xXuemPzlFH4X-1-mPA&s=19

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
What needs to happen is the Niners need to go on another 3 game losing streak and then they'll be unbeatable for a month, just in time for the playoffs. This would cost them home field but again, unbeatable, not important.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Niners offense works if your QB isn't terminally addicted to holding the ball a second too long. Darnold ... is not that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It is also good to have the starting OL out there instead of the last string guy on the gameday roster coming in

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Waltzing Along posted:

I mean...we shut down their vaunted running game pretty well. Save for the one Lamar run, they didn't do anything. If not for the 3 tips that found hands, it's a very different game. I wonder what the numbers are on tips. I know more find their way to the defense than to the offense, but I'm betting it is still fewer than 50% that don't hit the ground. Probably less than 33%

Whoever was on Deebo did a good job shutting him down, though. That was the one thing that did impress me tonight.

Deebo had some bad drops too. Those drops plus the first three interceptions ended drives that were marching and you just can’t overcome that many mistakes/that much bad luck

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/MikeDugar/status/1739706341042876419

In Pete Speak, "it'll be hard for him to get back this week" basically means "we gotta amputate the leg."

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

DeimosRising posted:

Deebo had some bad drops too. Those drops plus the first three interceptions ended drives that were marching and you just can’t overcome that many mistakes/that much bad luck

No one on the 49ers looked good last night outside of Trent Williams. Purdy had a bad game, but the receivers were getting shoved and blanketed, the o-line outside of Trent was being dominated, and even CMC had trouble finding space. The defense couldn't do anything with the Raven's o-line manhandling the 49ers rushers - I thought their o-line got away with a lot of bonus activities, straight up tripping Bosa a couple times in TV angles, but more power to them for not being called on it.

Shanahan had no answers, and neither did Wilks :shrug: Sometimes your team just has a bad matchup, hopefully they learn from it.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
How many points did the Ravens score off the picks? Take those away and the game is close if not won by the Niners. Time to move on and focus on the Commies.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

trilljester posted:

How many points did the Ravens score off the picks? Take those away and the game is close if not won by the Niners. Time to move on and focus on the Commies.

It wasn't just the picks either, there was already poo poo like opening the second half with a 3 and out, followed by giving up a 25 yard punt return, and another 15 yards on a personal foul by the *punter*. Just an all around poo poo showing by the team. Forget about it and move on to securing a first round bye

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Yes, all you have to do is ignore the many, many turnovers and SF actually played a great game...

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
If you only focus on the last 20 minutes where the Ravens turtled up to protect a 3 TD lead and didn't have their best defensive player, the Niners were outright dominant. With their backup QB even!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

If you only focus on the last 20 minutes where the Ravens turtled up to protect a 3 TD lead and didn't have their best defensive player, the Niners were outright dominant. With their backup QB even!

I appreciate you admitting that your team should have lost this game, it shows true sportsmanship and humility.

In all seriousness though, congrats on your deserved sense of superiority, and I hope our teams do get to play again soon :hmmyes:

OGS-Remix posted:

I haven't checked the other threads yet, but I do want to see how Kawalimus spins this as a bad thing for the Ravens.

Please don't report back if you do vvvvvvvv

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 26, 2023

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I haven't checked the other threads yet, but I do want to see how Kawalimus spins this as a bad thing for the Ravens.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Trent Williams is power incarnate

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't like those picks being handwaved as "lucky". Ravens are just that drat good. 49ers got dominated in the trenches and Wilks had no answer to stop Lamar at all. I mean the Ravens are 6-2 against this team. Pretty sure most of those were Harbaugh.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
One positive I'm taking from yesterday, Jake Moody nailed a 45 yard FG. Nice!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yeah, none of those picks were lucky except the Marlon Humphrey deflection that Hamilton caught. Even that one would have been a big negative play regardless because of the crackback penalty. Besides, Purdy threw a few interceptable balls that weren't caught. The Raven's defense understood that the Niners are too good on offense to try and contain. You have to sow chaos and take educated gambles to make huge plays on defense in order to keep up with them. Niners are still the class of NFC, and if the teams do end up in the Superbowl the game will for sure look a lot different than it did last night.

If it's any consolation, Kawalimus spent most of last night wishing the Ravens had lost to give them the edge in a potential Superbowl match-up and arguing in the AFC Thread till 4 am that the Browns should have somehow signed Lamar last offseason.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Also Purdy's little flip over his head to CMC was straight Mahomes-ian, wow talk about off schedule creating

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That was the best play he had all night. Genuinely impressive and I was certain they would convert the 4th down when it happened.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Maybe, but best 49ers player of the night was clearly this fellow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye_XCgEjz6M

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
The Athletic has a great writeup on what the Ravens defense did to exploit Shanahan's offensive scheme and confuse Purdy:
https://theathletic.com/5161135/2023/12/27/nfl-week-16-results-scores-coaching-decisions/

quote:

With their full cache of weapons available, the 49ers’ offense looked unstoppable. From weeks 10-15, they scored 34.5 points per game and averaged 1.29 EPA per drive (above 0.35 is considered elite). That came to a screeching halt when the Ravens and their No. 1 defense came to town. They made Brock Purdy look truly panicked for the first time in his young NFL career and intercepted him four times.

The Ravens typically will crowd the line of scrimmage and bring simulated pressures (pressures with four rushers with one of the rushers coming from the second or third level). Most of those pressures involve linebackers blitzing up the middle of the line but against the 49ers, who attack the middle of the field better than any other team, Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald didn’t have their linebackers mug as much as they usually do and brought pressure from the edges. The Ravens didn’t want to make it easy for the 49ers to gash them in the middle of the field with hot throws. On the third play of the game, they had linebacker Roquan Smith mug the line and blitz and they got burned for a 58-yard pass to George Kittle. After that play, MacDonald seemed to adjust and went away from their usual style of play.

One of the key plays of the game came on a corner blitz in which corner Brandon Stephens blitzed and tipped Purdy’s pass that was intercepted by Marlon Humphrey. I asked Stephens about the play after the game.

The 49ers line up in a lot of compressed formations, which shortens the distance that corners have to travel for blitzes. This was actually a pretty impressive read by Purdy to see the blitz coming. The free safety only slightly moved outside to get on top of Deebo Samuel (top of the screen) right before the snap. The play call was a run but Purdy saw the blitz coming and wanted to throw a “now” route to Samuel.

“If he realizes it’s a corner blitz, I know the quarterback is going to go to a ‘now’ with no one being outside,” Stephens said. “I just timed up the jump and gave our guy Marlo a chance to make a play on the ball.”

Technically, Purdy made the right read and play but Stephens did a great job of tipping the pass and Humphrey, who was blitzing from the other side, made a play on the ball.

Later in the game, the Ravens did blitz a linebacker but did it in a unique way.

Here, linebacker Patrick Queen lined up close to the sideline almost like he was trying to hide from Purdy’s vision in the middle of the field. The Ravens were in man coverage across the board. Smith mugged the B-gap to the offensive left so the line slid that way, while no one accounted for Queen, who came from the right.

Corner Ronald Darby did a good job of cutting off Willie Snead running a slant and Purdy didn’t get to his second read quickly enough as Queen was closing in on him. Samuel was wide open and would have easily gotten the first down and more.

Stephens described Purdy as a “spot thrower” and said that they just needed to be in the spots that he likes to throw to based on film. I believe he means that Purdy is an anticipation thrower and he’s going to throw with anticipation into windows that he believes will open based on the coverage. Though Macdonald deserves a lot of credit for his play calling, he had the Ravens prepared to capitalize on Purdy’s tendencies.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

“Spot Thrower” will be my new favorite pejorative going forward

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

That was a fun article, thank you for sharing

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Ornery and Hornery posted:

“Spot Thrower” will be my new favorite pejorative going forward

“Slant boy” is impossible to top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pontius Pilate posted:

“Slant boy” is impossible to top

So you're saying slant boys can't be bottoms?