Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Just got this and i'm not familiar with 5e - any particular classes i should roll?

Just know that respecs are available early and cheap (free). Don't worry too much about class because you can play around with everyone's often.

Honestly, Berserker Barbarian or Tavern Brawler STR Monk is great in the beginning. Having someone who can reliably get multiple good attacks and good AC without good armor in the beginning is huge. The game has an inverse difficulty curve and the equipment options in the first act are mostly mediocre.

You can also go Berserker Tavern Brawler Barbarian and absolutely break the game early on. Don't need any good equipment either. Just throw any garbage dagger or javelin for killing damage.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I finished my playthrough, my party was pretty much my Lockadin Tav, Shadowheart, Karlach, and Lae'zel through Act I & II and then switched to Jaheira. I didn't bother to respec or multiclass any companions and it seemed to work fine. Glad that I hoarded so many potions and scrolls because some of those came in pretty useful in the final chapters. Specifically the last battle I didn't have anyone go all-in on worms so my characters couldn't fly, so getting off the platforms that were getting destroyed was a challenge and I was running out of people and space - I ended up using a couple Scrolls of Disintegrate to finish off the brain before I ran out of room. I do wish that instead of having restoration chambers along the way they let you just return to camp and rest and specific points, because it would be nice to be able to change out companions (and less so gear) between different sequences. For instance I would have liked to have Lae'zel during the decision between the Emperor and Orpheus but not commit to having her the entire sequence. Pretty minor though!

The Epilogue stuff they added is great for rounding everything up, especially if some of the cinematics ended without a full resolution. I guess that I short-cutted some cinematics either by not doing quests properly or my other choices, so I didn't really have a conclusion for certain characters in the cinematics right after the final fight, but got to see them in the Epilogue and feel like their stories are concluded - or at least where they are. Being able to read letters from random NPCs is cool too, and help make you feel like some decisions or quest points you chose have more long-term impact. Very sad we don't get to see Bex and Danis with their house and cat, though.

Already planning my Tactician playthrough, not sure what class to take this time - I plan on using Astarion and Gale more, as I mostly sidelined them in my playthrough except for specific plot beats.

Hardly needs to be said but all the voice acting in this is so great, just about every main character has some really good scenes that the actors and other creative staff worked hard to nail, any one of them would be worth a climax for a game, and the game has so many good moments. Really deserves all the reviews and awards.

Anyway, back to another 100 hours of play!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Floppychop posted:

What's the benefit of taking warlock to 5 instead of just to 3 for the past of the blade?

As others have said you get an extra attack that stacks with martial (paladin) extra attack, but not on Honour mode, and you also get Hunger of Hadar. Your other options on Honour mode would be maybe 2 levels of Fighter for Action Surge and a Fighting Style? Idk what else you might take. Also it gets you another Feat.

It's probably a stronger build in non-Honour mode because of the great number of attacks per turn but it's still good in Honour. Getting 3x your Charisma bonus in melee damage is pretty bonkers on top of smites.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Just got this and i'm not familiar with 5e - any particular classes i should roll?

have your player character be a bard. A LOT of this game is dialogue and skill checks, and bards are good at that, they're also good in combat. None of the party members are bards by default.

Also you get [BARD] dialogue options which are pretty fun.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Warlocks can also get Counterspell at level 5, which is a decently big deal. If you already got Extra Attack from somewhere else Fighter 2 is probably better though

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Floppychop posted:

I'm on honor mode, so I wouldn't be getting the extra attack.

Warlocks also get some decent Level 3 spells, and if none of those excite you rechargable 3rd-level smites are pretty dope. But Hunger of Hadar is a game-changingly good spell to have in your pocket, Hypnotic Pattern is also god-tier crowd controll, GOOlock gets Slow which can win big fights on its own and Fiend gets Fireball which is, well, Fireball.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Greaseman posted:

Alas, in the second act I had some thoughts along the lines of 'I don't want to risk facing a guy who is invulnerable while I have no counter to that. That kind of combat sequence is really annoying. I will find some way to deal with that issue before I engage with Moonrise towers. I blindly trust that this won't get me drawn immediately into the end of the act and make me miss a bunch of stuff.'

Monathin posted:

A popup is telling me the story will progress if I venture into this new area! What do I do!?

In general, heed these warnings. They’re there for a reason. That said, the first one (which pops up when you advance to either Grymforge or the Mountain Pass) is extremely lax - the only thing it will auto-advance is the Druid’s Grove plot. There is one in Act 2 (inside the Gauntlet of Shar) that is much more strict and you should not activate unless you are 100% sure you’re done with Act 2.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Khizan posted:

L5 also gets you L3 spells for Hunger of Hadar counterspell and fireball.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Floppychop posted:

I'm on honor mode, so I wouldn't be getting the extra attack.

If you’re not doing honor mode you’d typically do paladin 5/warlock 7 because then you get 2x lvl 4 spell slots to smite with per short rest, and you get the extra attack. In honor mode I’m not sure taking warlock is worth it at all vs just going pure paladin or doing one of the other pally dip multi classes. A three level dip in warlock just so you can use charisma to attack doesn’t seem worth it to me. Paladin doesn’t need to max out charisma like a sorcerer does, you can just start at 17 str/10 dex/14 con/ 16 Cha.

Also warlock spell slots are counted separately to other classes so you’d be seriously screwing yourself on spell slots if you went Pally 9/warlock 3

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I've been trying to work hunger of hadar in since people in the thread rave about it but I kind of struggle a bit because it seems like a lot of times the enemies just aren't grouped enough, or the area is too big to really keep them trapped. I'm sure there are situations where it rips but mostly if enemies are grouped up I'd rather send Shadowheart the blender to deal with them and I don't really want to send her in there to do it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Professor Beetus posted:

I've been trying to work hunger of hadar in since people in the thread rave about it but I kind of struggle a bit because it seems like a lot of times the enemies just aren't grouped enough, or the area is too big to really keep them trapped. I'm sure there are situations where it rips but mostly if enemies are grouped up I'd rather send Shadowheart the blender to deal with them and I don't really want to send her in there to do it.

My favorite spot in the game for hunger of hadar is the cultists fight at Moonrise towers. They start nice and grouped up there and dropping a hunger of hadar on them is some seriously ruinous poo poo.

But yeah it is better the more grouped up the enemy is. If you can find a choke point it works wonders. Even if you can't, don't underestimate the value of dropping it on like 3-4 enemies out of a big group. It will still do plenty of work even in that scenario.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I started the Moonrise cultist fight by having Karlach slam a potion of haste and lob four consecutive smokepowder bombs into creepy bedpost-notch lady's little honour guard on turn one, round one, and let me tell you: it is extremely funny to do this. You should absolutely do it as well. It is hilarious, and rules

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

I've also been trying to make a point out of using Hunger of Hadar a bit more in my current tactician run since I completely ignored it first time through, and there's definitely been a handful of situations so far where it has been just real nice to have. Pretty sure it just saved my bacon in Creche Y'llek during the fight with the githyanki inquisitor. Managed to position Wyll so he could pop off HoH on the really hard hitting melee units which helped with whittling down their health while also crippling their movement speed, opening them up for some big lightning nukes from my storm sorcerer character, combined with Wyll using the Eldritch Blast knockback effect to punt them back into the HoH aoe effect. If I hadn't been able to pop HoH at the right time I'm pretty sure they would have just closed the distance in no time and demolished me in melee.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Can I pop a hypnotic pattern and hold sanctuary afterwards? Seems like a real OP play for my lore bard to support. Can spend the next two turns healing/buffing if needed without risk of breaking concentration. Should really help imbalance any fight into my favor.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
The most pro move I’ve found with Hunger of Hadar is in act 3 if I’ve eaten a bunch of worms and have all of those powers as bonus actions thanks to in act 2 in the creche enduring in the machine until it blows up. You cast Black Hole as a bonus action to group everyone up, drop Hunger of Hadar, and then keep pulling everyone back in every turn with your Black Hole.

You don’t lose concentration on illithid powers, so even if you drop Hunger you can usually recast it again.

I know y’all love theory crafting and I love it for you, but I do just want to point out that no one is “usually” doing any kind of multi-classing. If you’re new to the game, never feel like you need to come up with some weird, theoretical build to have fun or get good.

poo poo, the only time I’ve multi-classed a main was a Thief/Cleric that I was recreating from tabletop. It was a terrible synergy but the character was faithful to my vision and what not so it was fun as hell.

It’s really fun to make weird, broken builds but it’s also really fun to go all the way down your one character path to open up all the toys they have available.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I didn't realise hunger was du jour but it does own. I used it by making bottlenecks and starting fights with my rogue who has many ways to disappear.

Also my rogue is using risky ring. It's absolutely worth the downsides because she can kill almost anything in short order and in the right circumstances (obscured) crits on 17 because I took fighter for champion. Sneaky attack isn't as strong as it could be but I have two bonus actions, action surge and second attack in two levels which will be gross.

E: this is my second character. The first was ancients pally, the greatest of all classes.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Risky ring is absolutely one of the best items in the game, the hardest decision is choosing which character gets to use it. Personally for me it’s Character with sneak attack > Character with GWM > Character with sharpshooter although my current run I don’t have a sneak attacker or a GWM.

Going to start a third playthrough soon so I can get Minthara for the first time (going to play resist durge; and be a good boy, so I’ll be knocking her out)

What do you guys think is the most entertaining combination of companions to have alongside Minthara, from a banter perspective?

I’ve heard she’s particularly snarky towards Gale and Astarion, but I feel like she could have a lot of fun with Jaheira and Minsc as well. Karlach is probably going to take a break this next run; I’ve used her a ton already.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 26, 2023

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
My favorite of Minthara’s brief impressions I can remember off the top of my head:

Lae’zel and Karlach loads of respect
Wyll being a warlock makes him slightly less insufferable
Shadowheart surprising empathy for being indoctrinated into something lovely
Gale there is no point in befriending a Wizard because they are too stupid to live long enough to be worth your time

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I have taken badass rogue fighter to heart too. Get into the skullduggery and I'm quietly assassinating people in act 2. Also just living with failed steal attempts it's only a matter of time before before getting caught results on something terrible because I always fight. Can't cage this rat.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
the green lady gave me some sass when she was up in the cage so i gave her a time out, now she's vanished

is she gone for good?

really appreciating how conversations won't let you mechanically choose every option bethesda style, you get one chance to flow through it then you're done

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

the green lady gave me some sass when she was up in the cage so i gave her a time out, now she's vanished

is she gone for good?

really appreciating how conversations won't let you mechanically choose every option bethesda style, you get one chance to flow through it then you're done

I think there’s another chance to recruit her later

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Where the gently caress is my Shadowheart/Nocturne fanart

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I wouldn’t stop playing BG3 over the Christmas holiday and now my mom is really mad at me I wish I was a Warlock so I could cast Hunger of Hadar on her and then Shadowheart and I could run away together.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

My favorite Hunger of Hadar strat is to have (Tempest domain cleric) Shadowheart sitting on the edge of it with Spirit Guardian up, and using thunderwave, repulsing eldritch blast, push attack, or good old Shove on any enemies that make it out alive.

Even if you can't get all the enemies in an encounter this way, it's a good way to lock down or outright kill a bunch of them while the rest of the party deals with whoever is outside of the cloud.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Where the gently caress is my Shadowheart/Nocturne fanart

Artists will often trade their services for money

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I am doing a build which needs Wondrous Gloves.

I get to the Forge, kill the 3 mimics, and no drop.

Is the wiki data old and they are somewhere else now?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They are not in the mimic chests, but a fourth hidden chest that you need a Perception check to see. You might also be able to get it with See Invisible.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

exquisite tea posted:

They are not in the mimic chests, but a fourth hidden chest that you need a Perception check to see. You might also be able to get it with See Invisible.

They were on a mimic in my HM run I just beat Grym on.

Also learned that they can eat weapons and there's no bringing them back. Can't remember what crossbow I lost but figure it wasn't that special.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I thought the weapon went inside the mimic you should be able to loot it. That’s dumb. If we’re living this way I demand Rust Monsters, Ropers and Gelatinous cubes to punish people that don’t scout :argh:

And an occasionally paranoid npc that is waaay too prepared to handle invisibility. Throwing water, casting Faerie Fire, tossing see invis expires at allies that get attacked.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

HaB posted:

So I am doing a build which needs Wondrous Gloves.

I get to the Forge, kill the 3 mimics, and no drop.

Is the wiki data old and they are somewhere else now?

what build are you doing where an extra bardic inspiration charge is mandatory vs having one of the many gloves that add damage riders?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

Risky ring is absolutely one of the best items in the game, the hardest decision is choosing which character gets to use it. Personally for me it’s Character with sneak attack > Character with GWM > Character with sharpshooter although my current run I don’t have a sneak attacker or a GWM.

Risky Ring on Sword Bard / Thief / Fighter Ascended Astarion with Sharpshooter, bunch of crit extending gear, and 24 AC + displacement is outrageously powerful. The dude could probably solo most of the game handily with that setup.

And then Haarlep wins initiative and immediately charms Astarion, so you get to learn the absolute terror of being on the receiving end of that build.

To be fair, the DM finding that one weakness to pull an Uno Reverse on a cheesy munchkin player is one of the oldest and best D&D tropes.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Bloody Hell. 4th attempt at Honor run fails to the loving Fists I WAS TRYING TO HELP.

They ask me to help knock the bloody door down, I DO by CHEERING THEM ON, kick the door down and THEY ATTACK ME. WTF was that all about!?!? Did I damage the property or something THAT'S ON loving FIRE?!?!

Karlack got away but I gave up running half way to the Grove because frankly it was ridiculous. 10 hours on that attempt.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Act 3 Honor Mode: Orin down, seems like she has a pretty scary legendary mechanic that would have definitely been fun to figure out IF I DIDN'T open up the round with Hold Monster and annihilated her with twin hasted Lae'Zach. Unfortunately Gale caught a stray trident and this being HM, he is permadead... oh well!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

exquisite tea posted:

Act 3 Honor Mode: Orin down, seems like she has a pretty scary legendary mechanic that would have definitely been fun to figure out IF I DIDN'T open up the round with Hold Monster and annihilated her with twin hasted Lae'Zach. Unfortunately Gale caught a stray trident and this being HM, he is permadead... oh well!

You can't resurrect in honor mode?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That character is not in your party at the moment the fight begins, which means you cannot resurrect them.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Very annoying!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There are precautions I could have taken to prevent that from happening, but whatever, it's just Gale.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Risky Ring on Sword Bard / Thief / Fighter Ascended Astarion with Sharpshooter, bunch of crit extending gear, and 24 AC + displacement is outrageously powerful. The dude could probably solo most of the game handily with that setup.

And then Haarlep wins initiative and immediately charms Astarion, so you get to learn the absolute terror of being on the receiving end of that build.

To be fair, the DM finding that one weakness to pull an Uno Reverse on a cheesy munchkin player is one of the oldest and best D&D tropes.

I have a similar setup for Jaheira, although I don’t like thief in the build, particularly since I have another character who needed the risky ring:

instead of going dual hand crossbows, I use The Dead Shot for the extra +4 attack, which lets you use sharpshooter all the time (and has crit extension)

The build is Bard 6/Spore Druid 2/Fighter 4 (you can either go champion for the added crit extension or battlemaster for extra ways to add damage to your shots after you run out of bard charges)

spore druid lets you add 1d6 poison damage to every shot (and with the bard ability every shot is of course 2 shots) and when you get the spore druid armor in act 3 (you can buy it right away) you can use a bonus action to create a cloud of haste spores that gives your whole party haste for 1 turn ( you can keep walking in it each turn to get haste back, there is no lethargic effect)

pair it with duelist’s enthusiasm, which also gives crit extension, and gives you the option to do a bonus action melee attack as well as ranged with your main actions. plus an extra reaction - don’t forget spore druids can use a reaction to do poison damage

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar V lasted barely 30 minutes - killed by the walking brains at the crashed ship site!

I really need a mod that just "collect everything" so I don't need to search every single barrel and box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

in honor mode if you send 3 party members to a tough fight and they die (keeping 4th away from fight):

- is there any common situation where you can totally lose the dead party member and not be able to res them?

- can you just use withers at camp without having to go to where the party member died to get their soul or stuff?

- do enemies heal before you go back to re-fight them?