Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

is seppo short for something don't worry about offending me I am canadian

It's just cockney rhyming slang. Yankee became yank, which became tank, which became septic tank, which became seppo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
I feel like cockney rhyming slang is just what's left of thieves cant. How wrong am I?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
o right ok

canada -> canuck -> fat duck > ducko

:canada:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'll just call youse both dumb cunts much easier

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Canada isn't a real country because the head of state is just whatever inbred Dutch oval office is a powerless head of state in jolly old England.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I am having a hard time parsing that.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Trabant posted:

:psypop: what a colossally stupid word.

I use it out of respect for the bigger, better america (south)

USAnos is also good

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

dialhforhero posted:

I am having a hard time parsing that.

Britain has been under Dutch occupation since the Glorious Revolution of 1688 meaning all Anglo rulers since then are Dutch and/or Hannoverian invaders and ususpers.

Also no head of state in Britain has had any real power since the Magna Carta.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Armacham posted:

It's just cockney rhyming slang. Yankee became yank, which became tank, which became septic tank, which became seppo

What a pack of Berks.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

Britain has been under Dutch occupation since the Glorious Revolution of 1688 meaning all Anglo rulers since then are Dutch and/or Hannoverian invaders and ususpers.

Also no head of state in Britain has had any real power since the Magna Carta.

:wrong: William of Orange was a cousin of his English(ish) wife Mary, Mary's sister Anne took over after her death, and since Mary and Anne were both childless she put her German cousins on the throne. The Dutchman died well before that. They were Hanover, then Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, then the much less German sounding Windsor.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

so was it australian or british slang? which group am i going to be mad at tonight? no one calls me and my boys a poopy tank! NO ONE!

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Hackers film 1995 posted:

so was it australian or british slang? which group am i going to be mad at tonight? no one calls me and my boys a poopy tank! NO ONE!

The Irish abroad started using it all the time here the last few years, what with them being the only Englishmen left in the EU.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hackers film 1995 posted:

Originally Australian, dating from american troops stationed in Australia during WW2.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

o right ok

canada -> canuck -> cuck

:canada:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Baron von Eevl posted:

:wrong: William of Orange

:lmao: what? Orange??

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Atticus_1354 posted:

Why would I think that? Being in the bike lane or even on the road depending on where you are is exactly what you're supposed to do. Running red lights isn't if you're in a car, motorcycle, bicycle, or on foot. That seems pretty clear to everyone that isn't the guy claiming it's all the drivers faults while talking about how much he breaks traffic laws.

When you're cycling in a city you're playing the odds a bit. So say you're at a normal traffic lit junction, with or without a painted cycle gutter it doesn't actually matter. Now what people think of as normal road behaviour is that the cyclist line up at the kerb with cars beside them.

As the cyclist if you're going straight on you have to gamble if the person beside you is going to try to turn across you or not. Unless they've already seen you it's very possible they don't know you're there.

So you have 4 options

1) Just cycle straight I'm sure it'll be fine. Usually it is fine but this is also one of the most common ways cyclists die on the roads.

2) Cycle in the primary position in the middle of the road. This is what I do and it does anger people, so you'll get some honking and a close pass or two but you don't get hit.

3) Jump the lights, not my preferred option but you're probably going to be fine. Around here we've got a new green for cyclist light that goes a few seconds before the main light to give you a headstart.

4) Just wait till the cars have passed you so there's no danger. This is relatively safe but just not an option in heavy traffic where there are constant cars.

I've said it earlier in this thread but it's true, you dont get hit by cars that have seen you.

Theres an interesting stat where over a period of time 14 women were killed in London, 13 by lorries or busses turning left. There's loads of theories as to why but a decent one is women tend to be less aggressive when it comes to filtering and getting ahead of vehicles. Tending to stay in the cycle lanes where the lorries simply haven't seen them. But that's exactly what you get folk say ALL cyclists should be doing despite it being incredibly dangerous.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Son of Rodney posted:

It is utterly bewildering how USanians turn into europeans when certain minority groups are mentioned, as soon as bikes become a topic.

Americans: I loving hate bikeys

Europeans:

Laserjet 4P has a new favorite as of 11:31 on Dec 26, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Can't believe cyclists v motorists is still going on

Laserjet 4P posted:

Europeans:

Fuckin lmao though

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Skipped ahead, still going.

No one wins this argument. Just be good to people guys.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Laserjet 4P posted:

Europeans:

:hmbol:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Aramoro posted:

4 options

1) Just cycle straight I'm sure it'll be fine. Usually it is fine but this is also one of the most common ways cyclists die on the roads.

2) Cycle in the primary position in the middle of the road. This is what I do and it does anger people, so you'll get some honking and a close pass or two but you don't get hit.

3) Jump the lights, not my preferred option but you're probably going to be fine. Around here we've got a new green for cyclist light that goes a few seconds before the main light to give you a headstart.

4) Just wait till the cars have passed you so there's no danger. This is relatively safe but just not an option in heavy traffic where there are constant cars.

Yeah, my behaviour at traffic lights depends on whether the lights have been configured for cyclists. If there's a 3-4 second "cyclists, go" window, ignore the bits below (driving on the left):
If there's a designated left-turn lane at traffic lights, I'll often move into the middle of the carriageway (if there's time) just to make sure that I'm very visible to drivers.
If there isn't a designated left-turn lane, I'll sometimes move forward far enough that I should be clearly visible to anyone who might be turning left. Again, if there's time, I might turn around and try to make eye contact with the driver to make sure they know where I am.

I don't jump the lights unless they're in a pedestrian phase and there are no pedestrians crossing.

Schade
I was cycling home from work earlier this year - mostly worried about getting a puncture on a stretch of the cycle that I've had 6 on over the previous year - and got about 3 minutes from home when the driver of a van I was passing opened his door when I was about 10 feet away. The inside edge of the door hit my lower and upper leg and my torso, but I'd managed to swerve just enough to avoid catching the edge in my face. I've got a fairly large dent in my thigh and still some lingering pain on occasion, but my bike - despite being a piece of poo poo - was mostly undamaged.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Bikers and car drivers should unite under the banner of hating scooters and steps.

Edit: Locally there's a phenomenon of those tiny motorbikes becoming more popular.

They sound like someone's revving a lawnmower for the engine to explode from 3 blocks away, are basically rolling coal, and then when you finally get a glimpse of what possible machine could make this much noise and smoke, it's this thing chugging by at 15MPH:

Fishstick has a new favorite as of 11:50 on Dec 26, 2023

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Just buying into the false dichotomy pushed by the media and assholes. Cyclists are motorists and vice versa. Despite what it appears like you don't get a lobotomy when you get behind the wheel of a car.

Europe has some of the best cycling infrastructure in the world and it's getting better every year. NY didn't look too bad when I was there, the rest of the US visited ? Lol get hosed cyclists.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ilmucche posted:

A mod already told them to knock it off, they'll get whacked when that mod wakes up and logs on :ssh:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Was worth it for that bikey joke

Minor schad, I've been given the standard extended family member gift of toiletries at Christmas and now think I'm over my tiny plastic bag limit for liquids on a plane

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Aramoro posted:

Lol get hosed cyclists.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

LifeProTip: if you find an escooter blocking a sidewalk, don't throw it into the river, throw it into the street instead, so it blocks traffic :eng101:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

dreamin of semen posted:

Australian rhyming slang for Americans, short for "septic tank", which rhymes with yank

very accurate tbh

As a :patriot: I do appreciate the lengths people are willing to walk to call even just the northern half of us pieces of poo poo.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
As a seppo I never realized that it was rhyming slang at all. I just thought it was regular cutesy-poo Australian for separatist, which makes as much sense I guess. Australia's like a whole country of children's book authors competing to fill a slang dictionary

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

As a :patriot: I do appreciate the lengths people are willing to walk to call even just the northern half of us pieces of poo poo.

In the UK and as I understand in Australia Yanks are just any Americans, not just ones from the north.

Yanks won the civil war == All Americans are Yanks. Makes sense.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 12:44 on Dec 26, 2023

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Americans are yanks, for obvious reasons. Acceptable synonyms are "cranks", "tugs", "wanks", and "masturbators".

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Hello schadenfreude thread, please pull up.

https://imgur.com/gnH2wcJ.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/SmVWVZd.mp4

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yankees go home

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Takes No Damage posted:

To be specific it's calling you all full of poo poo, not pieces of poo poo (although that may also be true) :eng101:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Karate Bastard posted:

Americans are yanks, for obvious reasons. Acceptable synonyms are "cranks", "tugs", "wanks", and "masturbators".

SocksAndSandals posted:

Yeah?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pulling to the back is more fun.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

SocksAndSandals posted:

https://i.imgur.com/SmVWVZd.mp4

When that dude hits 88mph, there's gonna be some serious poo poo...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drive faster, gotta outrun the fire! :rice:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Drive faster, gotta outrun the fire! :rice:

Stop, drop, and roll away quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Out: Cockney rhyming slang
In: Piccadilly polari