Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

chamois posted:

it was all worth it to make franchise tagging lamar more expensive or whatever they were trying to do

the non-exclusive tag? yeah it made a lot of teams show their rear end and getting a non-watson style deal. to be fair to those teams, things felt a lot different in february of last year i guess. but to be unfair to those teams, two first round picks and a jalen hurts contract isn't the worst thing you could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Lamar absolutely wanted a fully guaranteed contract at first and the Ravens knew no one would budge cause the owners are not having that. They would rather not be a contender than be responsible for setting that precedent. We never would have let him be available if we thought there was any chance of someone giving him that. That's all obvious in hindsight. But I definitely thought we were shopping him for a big trade at the time.

The Ravens couldn't let him go though. Lamar is way too big of a player. Popular with the team, very popular with fans. Letting him get away and succeeding with some other team and the guy you get potentially being not as good is a franchise-killing type of situation. You just can't let that happen. Even if he stayed here and didn't live up to the contract it's better than that.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 26, 2023

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i mean the precedent was set twice already, with cousins and then watson. owners definitely got scared away because of the fully guaranteed stuff but they could still offer a contract beyond what we did. i think it was compounded by the injuries the two prior years, and then just being scared cause they dont like the way lamar jackson plays.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Thing is a team threw that kind of money at WATSON even considering his situation. I think one of those teams would have at least tried with Lamar.

Crazy that if Cleveland hadn't jumped on Watson they really could have hosed us big time and possibly given him a contract we couldn't match or had to make desperation moves to match. And imagine Lamar on these Browns. Although possibly if the Watson deal hadn't happen he never hits free agency to begin with. Who knows. But I'm glad he didn't go to the Browns.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
He might even be as good as Flacco.

Borsche69 posted:

i mean the precedent was set twice already, with cousins and then watson. owners definitely got scared away because of the fully guaranteed stuff but they could still offer a contract beyond what we did. i think it was compounded by the injuries the two prior years, and then just being scared cause they dont like the way lamar jackson plays.

Plus the Ravens ability to meet the contract terms. I don't think it can be underestimated how much a bunch of C-Suite guys didn't want to do a bunch of work to negotiate a deal only for the Ravens to move money, mortgage the future, and match.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Plus the Ravens ability to meet the contract terms. I don't think it can be underestimated how much a bunch of C-Suite guys didn't want to do a bunch of work to negotiate a deal only for the Ravens to move money, mortgage the future, and match.

For the Browns though it would have made sense to make life difficult for a division rival at worst, get a franchise QB at best.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

For the Browns though it would have made sense to make life difficult for a division rival at worst, get a franchise QB at best.

they were already locked into watson at that point

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

they were already locked into watson at that point

I know but I mean it was dumb for them to do that to begin with and throw that much at a QB in his sort of turmoil. If they hadn't done that they'd maybe have been in position to make a play for Lamar, IF he had ever hit free agency without the Watson situation happening.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

He might even be as good as Flacco.

yeah that's fair. those teams have no idea what we'd be willing to match and they can't counteroffer after the match so they just end up looking like fools.

but realistically, they only look like fools to themselves. not bothering to make a good faith effort makes you look like a fool to everyone.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I want to live in the timeline where the Browns tie up a guaranteed 135m/yr in Quarterbacks by signing Lamar out of spite fully guaranteed.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

I know but I mean it was dumb for them to do that to begin with and throw that much at a QB in his sort of turmoil. If they hadn't done that they'd maybe have been in position to make a play for Lamar, IF he had ever hit free agency without the Watson situation happening.

you're not even saying anything here. this is some weird hypothetical based on another hypothetical. 'if you had wheels, you'd be a bike' kind of hypothetical.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

you're not even saying anything here. this is some weird hypothetical based on another hypothetical. 'if you had wheels, you'd be a bike' kind of hypothetical.

You know what I'm saying! You didn't have to say the "The Browns were already in on Watson" thing either you know what I meant.

Oberstwo
Aug 19, 2022

Where'd all the bengals fans go??

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

we did it

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

You know what I'm saying! You didn't have to say the "The Browns were already in on Watson" thing either you know what I meant.

"the browns should've not signed watson and then signed lamar" is a stupid proposition when the conversation is about the teams, at the time that lamar was non-exclusive tagged, decided not to pursue him at all. yeah of course the browns shouldn't have signed watson. that happened a year BEFORE. they had no idea if the ravens were gonna sign lamar to an extension, or put that specific tag on him, or do one of any number of things.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Where Dey

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
https://twitter.com/FanoftheLand13/status/1739505624780505488

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

"the browns should've not signed watson and then signed lamar" is a stupid proposition when the conversation is about the teams, at the time that lamar was non-exclusive tagged, decided not to pursue him at all. yeah of course the browns shouldn't have signed watson. that happened a year BEFORE. they had no idea if the ravens were gonna sign lamar to an extension, or put that specific tag on him, or do one of any number of things.

I know. And I'm saying the Browns move to acquire Watson was a ridiculous move to begin with before you even get into the Lamar stuff. 3 first round picks and that much guaranteed money for a guy in that situation. So if they hadn't done that they would have been in prime position to actually do something and screw with a division rival a bit.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

I know. And I'm saying the Browns move to acquire Watson was a ridiculous move to begin with before you even get into the Lamar stuff. 3 first round picks and that much guaranteed money for a guy in that situation. So if they hadn't done that they would have been in prime position to actually do something and screw with a division rival a bit.

yeah that has nothing to do with what was being discussed. stop being like this.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

yeah that has nothing to do with what was being discussed. stop being like this.

It's what I was saying in the very first post and was obvious what I was trying to get across. You are splitting hairs.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

It's what I was saying in the very first post and was obvious what I was trying to get across. You are splitting hairs.

there were posts that occurred before you brought up watson and the browns. just shush.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

there were posts that occurred before you brought up watson and the browns. just shush.

But you picked a fight with me and played dumb misconstruing something you know I meant. Don't do that! And we won't have issues. Now I'll shush.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Oberstwo posted:

Where'd all the bengals fans go??

The what

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

But you picked a fight with me and played dumb misconstruing something you know I meant. Don't do that! And we won't have issues. Now I'll shush.

you created some discussion in your head where the browns never locked into watson, which doesn't really make sense and why would anyone want to bother with that hypothetical. no one's picking fights you freak. 'if the browns never signed watson they shouldve signed lamar' is a dumb conversation. 'why did the falcons immediately say they were never going to talk to lamar' is a little different

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

you created some discussion in your head where the browns never locked into watson, which doesn't really make sense and why would anyone want to bother with that hypothetical. no one's picking fights you freak. 'if the browns never signed watson they shouldve signed lamar' is a dumb conversation. 'why did the falcons immediately say they were never going to talk to lamar' is a little different

Because the Watson acquisition was absurd and unprecedented and it would have made much more sense to throw those kinds of resources at Lamar Jackson who might have been available to them. And now we see even a guy like Flacco in his late 30s out of football for a while can run that offense maybe better than Watson can. So imagine Lamar on these Browns. And thank god we didn't have to potentially deal with that. But the Browns pursuing Lamar is absolutely something that could have happened and we can be thankful as Ravens fans didn't.

It's not a "weird hypothetical" to say that a team might have possibly not thrown hundreds of millions of dollars in guaranteed money and three first round draft picks at a guy who had been disgraced and facing long term suspension.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

throw those kinds of resources at Lamar Jackson who might have been available to them.

again, this is a year prior to lamar being 'available' to anyone. these contracts did not happen the same season.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

again, this is a year prior to lamar being 'available' to anyone. these contracts did not happen the same season.

I never said they did! Why does that even matter. The Browns didn't have to throw resources at anyone like that and they would have had all that the next year when Lamar potentially became available.

And it was one year before. It's not like the Watson thing had happened three or four years before.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

would alligator protect a croc egg if you left one in their nest or? eat it

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

would alligator protect a croc egg if you left one in their nest or? eat it

Ask the cowbirds.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

I never said they did! Why does that even matter. The Browns didn't have to throw resources at anyone like that and they would have had all that the next year when Lamar potentially became available.

And it was one year before. It's not like the Watson thing had happened three or four years before.

alright did you get enough attention now? will that cover you for at least a week?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

alright did you get enough attention now? will that cover you for at least a week?

Yeah sure I'm pining for attention in the AFCN thread that like 20 people read not just dealing with the obnoxious hair-splitting that you do constantly. I'd honesty rather you never responded to me in an argument type situation, ever. That would make my day. Goodnight.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

lmfao argument-style type situation

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

lmfao argument-style type situation

Well yeah if you just wanna bullshit or whatever I don't care. But when we argue it's just really god drat annoying for me every time cause you do stuff like that Watson thing. I don't know why I'm even this worked up about this silly stuff. But I guess maybe you will do it if you know it gets on my nerves just to make me mad. But yeah. Goodnight. And sorry.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://x.com/markingramII/status/1739477711582605426?s=20

Imagine being called a peon by Mark Ingram

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Kawalimus did you have a nice holiday?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

lmfao good lord

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I don't know if it's because my best friend of 25 some years is a Ravens fan (basically how we became friends in the first place) who has local sports radio tier opinions but Kawalimus elicits no reaction from me whatsoever.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Kawalimus posted:

If the Browns don't get Watson, they sign Baker to an extension. Lamar would have never entered into the picture.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Atlanta's the team that should have made a real push for Lamar.

Or maybe SF.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Imagine being called a peon by Mark Ingram

I appreciate Mark Ingram's loyalty to LJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

"L Freaky" is loving sending me right now.