Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Whole new power supply. I don't know if I replaced the outlet to PC cable though...

The new one is modular while the old one had the cables coming out of a hole in it. I couldn't reuse any of those since they were permanently attached to the one I removed..

Haven't tried the old PSU yet. Do have it but it's fairly busted and will barely let the PC boot. Was scared it was going to wreck the thing.

Wouldn't worry too much about the cable going to the wall outlet, though you might try it just to eliminate it as the culprit (unlikely in my experience).

Are you sure you plugged everything in? There are a number of easily skipped/forgotten plugs, again such as the EPS 12v connector that will be near the CPU. It's normally 4-pin, 8-pin, or on higher boards might be a 4-pin+8-pin or 8-pin+8-pin. Since it's modular, make sure you have those ends of the cables securely seated into the PSU and that they're running from the correct outlets. For example don't have that EPS 12v connector running from an outlet on the PSU labeled VGA or PCIe.

I get the concern about using the old PSU again, though if you hook it back up and the system does boot, then that would indicate some kind of issue with the new PSU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Throughout most of 2023 I was tracking the price of a Western Digital SN570 2TB SSD. My plan was that it would slowly go down in price and when I had a couple of free days around Christmas, I'd strike and make a clean install on it. Whelp it went from 85E to 130E this fall so I'm not gonna lol

There were a bunch of really good SSD deals over the last few months, why are you so wedded to the SN570? I got a 2tb P3 plus, which is faster, for just over €90 in October.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Idk about Europe, but in the states the better SSD deals have dried up.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Hey all, I have a quick question for now... not sure if the thread will know but thought I'd ask:

I know my partner is getting me some new computer components for Christmas tomorrow. It's one of the Microcenter 14900K bundles. I think the one with 32GB of 6000 RAM over the 64GB of 5600 RAM I talked her out of.
I know the reputation of the 14900 and that it's not usually a good buy. But it's a gift and I plan to make the most of it. I can at least use all of the power since I'm a software dev and can/will run a TON of containers and VMs on the machine at the same time. A new graphics card is in the works as well but I've asked my partner to hold off until prices are more sane.

Anyway, my question is: I have a ThermalTake TH420 AIO that I got for a song at an auction. she plans to go to microcenter to get the CPU/MB/RAM bundle today... is there a bracket I might need or something? I forget what comes with the motherboard and what comes with the heatsink/AIO

I have a full tower case, but plan to just "open assemble" it tomorrow at first.
I have some Thermal Grizzly
I'll also use my current power supply for now.

I've built all of my machines before, but it has been 5 years or so.
I think I'm set, but thought I'd ask.

This thread rules, thanks so much

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

namlosh posted:

Anyway, my question is: I have a ThermalTake TH420 AIO that I got for a song at an auction. she plans to go to microcenter to get the CPU/MB/RAM bundle today... is there a bracket I might need or something? I forget what comes with the motherboard and what comes with the heatsink/AIO

You’ll need an LGA-1700 adapter bracket for your cooler. It will not be included with your motherboard. Based on documentation for that cooler, you’ll carry over the backplate and standoffs from your current system in order to mount it as it supports the LGA-1700 socket already. If it doesn’t for some reason (such as being older than that socket) you’ll need to contact Thermaltake.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

namlosh posted:

Hey all, I have a quick question for now... not sure if the thread will know but thought I'd ask:

I know my partner is getting me some new computer components for Christmas tomorrow. It's one of the Microcenter 14900K bundles. I think the one with 32GB of 6000 RAM over the 64GB of 5600 RAM I talked her out of.
I know the reputation of the 14900 and that it's not usually a good buy. But it's a gift and I plan to make the most of it. I can at least use all of the power since I'm a software dev and can/will run a TON of containers and VMs on the machine at the same time. A new graphics card is in the works as well but I've asked my partner to hold off until prices are more sane.

I have a full tower case, but plan to just "open assemble" it tomorrow at first.
I have some Thermal Grizzly
I'll also use my current power supply for now.

I've built all of my machines before, but it has been 5 years or so.
I think I'm set, but thought I'd ask.

This thread rules, thanks so much

What virtualization software do you use? Both Hyper-V and VMware still cannot use both kinds of cores on the 2021+ Intel processors, I think that VMware fixed the bug where it would use only E cores and both of them only use P cores now, but for running VMs AMD is sure as hell a safer bet right now.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Butterfly Valley posted:

There were a bunch of really good SSD deals over the last few months, why are you so wedded to the SN570? I got a 2tb P3 plus, which is faster, for just over €90 in October.

My mainboard can't make use of any of the faster ones anyway, and at the time I was looking this was the best bang for buck. I wanted to wait for the winter break to build and didn't expect the prices for an old-ish SSD to pick up again.

Where I'm at this one is still a little bit more expensive. But guess what? We were just unwrapping gifts and my wife must have heard me nagging about it because she bought me the SN570 :v: best wife

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
I'm helping my buddy pick out parts for a new PC he's building. He's going with a 7800X3D CPU.

He's currently trying to decide if an x670 motherboard is better than a b650. As far as I can tell from AMD's own website, x670 has support for PCIe 5.0 and basically twice the number of possible USB connections. However, some b650 motherboards apparently do have support for a PCI5.0 m.2 slot. Is that something that is ultimately up to the motherboard manufacturer to include, and the AMD published specs are simply the minimum requirements?

Specifically, he's looking at these two:
https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-strix-b650-a-gaming-wifi/p/N82E16813119606
https://www.newegg.com/asus-prime-x670e-pro-wifi/p/N82E16813119587

Also, how important is the RAM selection for this platform? Does something EXPO-compatible really make a difference or not?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Branch Nvidian posted:

You’ll need an LGA-1700 adapter bracket for your cooler. It will not be included with your motherboard. Based on documentation for that cooler, you’ll carry over the backplate and standoffs from your current system in order to mount it as it supports the LGA-1700 socket already. If it doesn’t for some reason (such as being older than that socket) you’ll need to contact Thermaltake.

Hells yeah! I looked in the box for the cooler and it has a bracket/hardware marked LGA1700. Not sure why I didn't think to do that before. thx so much.

Twerk from Home posted:

What virtualization software do you use? Both Hyper-V and VMware still cannot use both kinds of cores on the 2021+ Intel processors, I think that VMware fixed the bug where it would use only E cores and both of them only use P cores now, but for running VMs AMD is sure as hell a safer bet right now.

I was not aware of that limitation... thanks for the info. My plan is to install a linux (probably Fedora 39?) host and try to get passthrough working using my Video card using KVM or something? I can continue to use another machine for connecting to work and such. Truthfully, this gift was a wonderful surprise and I haven't had a chance to decide exactly how to do everything at this point. Any pointers anyone has that aren't too off-topic for this thread are very appreciated. I also plan to ask some questions in Virtualization threads. I currently run podman on Fedora 36 for some stuff I do now. I'd also like to get K8s (or maybe k3s) running. The plan is also to try and look for a 4090 that isn't <$2000 (I know, good luck... but we're patient) and do some local AI/LLM/StableDiffusion stuff. But until then, my old GTX1070 will have to do.

Thanks for the heads up about AMD/Intel though... the gift is a done deal at this point I think. Hopefully support will catch up to Intel's p/e core architecture. And hopefully we see some uptake of Intel's Application Optimization stuff, for both gaming and non-gaming workloads.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

namlosh posted:

I was not aware of that limitation... thanks for the info. My plan is to install a linux (probably Fedora 39?) host and try to get passthrough working using my Video card using KVM or something? I can continue to use another machine for connecting to work and such. Truthfully, this gift was a wonderful surprise and I haven't had a chance to decide exactly how to do everything at this point. Any pointers anyone has that aren't too off-topic for this thread are very appreciated. I also plan to ask some questions in Virtualization threads. I currently run podman on Fedora 36 for some stuff I do now. I'd also like to get K8s (or maybe k3s) running. The plan is also to try and look for a 4090 that isn't <$2000 (I know, good luck... but we're patient) and do some local AI/LLM/StableDiffusion stuff. But until then, my old GTX1070 will have to do.

Thanks for the heads up about AMD/Intel though... the gift is a done deal at this point I think. Hopefully support will catch up to Intel's p/e core architecture. And hopefully we see some uptake of Intel's Application Optimization stuff, for both gaming and non-gaming workloads.

Containers work great, of course, and I think but haven't confirmed that KVM is in a generally better situation.

Current Intel CPU support from most VMWare products is awful right now. Just really bad. Hell, if you try to install ESXi on any Intel desktop processor the installer crashes at boot: https://williamlam.com/2023/01/video-of-esxi-install-workaround-for-fatal-cpu-mismatch-on-feature-for-intel-12th-gen-cpus-and-newer.html

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Looking to build a new PC.

Microcenter? Yes, but discount would need to be like $75+ for me to actually leave the house to go there.
Use case: Gaming (VR flight & racing sim, COD, Forza, Cyberpunk at some point, other random stuff), Audio (music production, lots of VST plugins running in a DAW), a bit of video editing, coding, and probably a VM or two.
Budget: Already have an EVGA 3080 ftw3 ultra gaming and will be keeping that probably until the 5xxx come out.
Monitor resolution/refresh rate: 1440/144hz (i have 2 144hz 1440 monitors, don't have gsync enabled right now)
Other notes: I need lots of USB ports. Between VR headset, USB-C external audio interface, mic, web cam, steering wheel, pedals, joysticks, controller, and other random USB poo poo, it doesn't take me long to fill them up. I don't want or need wifi, but seems that all the boards have it. It is unlikely that I will use the onboard audio. If I do, it's only to send stereo audio from a specific app to an external mixer.

Please tell me what I got wrong in my picks below. I have been stuck on the MB, cooler, and case. I think the cooler is overkill. I've been Intel and oc'ing since 2007, and the last AMD I used was probably 2005.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($379.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB ELITE 59.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B650-A GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT H7 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1294.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-24 22:49 EST-0500

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I drive a BBW posted:

Microcenter? Yes, but discount would need to be like $75+ for me to actually leave the house to go there.

Closer to a $250 discount

Edit: and if you're looking for a good cooler, any decent 120mm dual tower should be sufficient, including the thread favorite Thermalright Peerless Assassin

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I drive a BBW posted:

Looking to build a new PC.

Use case: Gaming (VR flight & racing sim, COD, Forza, Cyberpunk at some point, other random stuff), Audio (music production, lots of VST plugins running in a DAW), a bit of video editing, coding, and probably a VM or two.
Budget: Already have an EVGA 3080 ftw3 ultra gaming and will be keeping that probably until the 5xxx come out.
Monitor resolution/refresh rate: 1440/144hz (i have 2 144hz 1440 monitors, don't have gsync enabled right now)
Other notes: I need lots of USB ports. Between VR headset, USB-C external audio interface, mic, web cam, steering wheel, pedals, joysticks, controller, and other random USB poo poo, it doesn't take me long to fill them up. I don't want or need wifi, but seems that all the boards have it. It is unlikely that I will use the onboard audio. If I do, it's only to send stereo audio from a specific app to an external mixer.

Please tell me what I got wrong in my picks below. I have been stuck on the MB, cooler, and case. I think the cooler is overkill. I've been Intel and oc'ing since 2007, and the last AMD I used was probably 2005.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($379.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB ELITE 59.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B650-A GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT H7 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1294.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-24 22:49 EST-0500

like Doombat said, Micro Center bundle saves you like $250 off the bat. Changed the PC case to the Corsair 4000D Airflow since it's cheaper and has better airflow than the NZXT H7 Flow, changed the cooler to the Thermalright Peerless Assassin.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($499.99)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B650-P WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($0.00)
Video Card: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 12GB LHR 12 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $913.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-24 23:48 EST-0500

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

DoombatINC posted:

Closer to a $250 discount

Edit: and if you're looking for a good cooler, any decent 120mm dual tower should be sufficient, including the thread favorite Thermalright Peerless Assassin

Yeah that is enough to get me to deal with poo poo traffic. Any reason I shouldn't get a PCIe 5.0 board now for future proofing?

Branch Nvidian posted:

like Doombat said, Micro Center bundle saves you like $250 off the bat. Changed the PC case to the Corsair 4000D Airflow since it's cheaper and has better airflow than the NZXT H7 Flow, changed the cooler to the Thermalright Peerless Assassin.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($499.99)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B650-P WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($0.00)
Video Card: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 12GB LHR 12 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $913.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-24 23:48 EST-0500

Good call. The Corsair is actually what I was looking at (and what I used for my kid's build a couple years ago), I guess I clicked the wrong line when I tried to add it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
🤦‍♂️

Removed it all and tried just a ram and board boot since I've got onboard video and still nothing.

Gonna try to hook up the old ps and see if it's just somehow this one, but I'm thinking I'm gonna be searching for a new board. Crap.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

🤦‍♂️

Removed it all and tried just a ram and board boot since I've got onboard video and still nothing.

Gonna try to hook up the old ps and see if it's just somehow this one, but I'm thinking I'm gonna be searching for a new board. Crap.

I had a similar issue and ultimately isolated it to the PSU cables: I had reused old cables. The header/connector of the cables all fit perfectly, but upon close inspection the pins were mismatched: the old 6-pin PCI cable had pins as 1,2,3,5 while the new had 1,2,4,5. Something like that — don’t literally quote me on the placement.

I also had a single click on boot then nothing. I believe the “nothing” was intentionally caused by my new PSU fail-safing when it didn’t recognize the pins for all the connectors present.

Posting this to share my own story in the hopes it helps you, but it’s not necessarily a panacea; good luck.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I drive a BBW posted:

Any reason I shouldn't get a PCIe 5.0 board now for future proofing?

If you need PCIe Gen 5 you already know that you need it. Gen 5 SSDs are rare and super expensive, and there are no GPUs currently that use PCIe Gen 5 anyway (and even when they do, it'll be like the Gen 3 to Gen 4 changeover where it'll be multiple generations before a card can fully saturate Gen 4 x16 requiring Gen 5).

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Branch Nvidian posted:

If you need PCIe Gen 5 you already know that you need it. Gen 5 SSDs are rare and super expensive, and there are no GPUs currently that use PCIe Gen 5 anyway (and even when they do, it'll be like the Gen 3 to Gen 4 changeover where it'll be multiple generations before a card can fully saturate Gen 4 x16 requiring Gen 5).

Yeah makes sense. I plan to keep this one for a while and the only things I’ll upgrade will be the video card (won’t be for another 1-2 years) and NVMe drive as prices go down. Both of those will be PCIe 5 at some point, I just didn’t know when.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I drive a BBW posted:

Yeah makes sense. I plan to keep this one for a while and the only things I’ll upgrade will be the video card (won’t be for another 1-2 years) and NVMe drive as prices go down. Both of those will be PCIe 5 at some point, I just didn’t know when.

The nice thing about PCIe backwards compatibility means that you can drop in PCIe 5 things into a PCIe 4 board and everything just works.

With GPUs, if I recall right you can drop a 4090 down to PCIe 2.0 and lose less than 10% of total performance. I'd bet that no GPU within the next decade will be lose more than 5% performance in a PCIe 4.0 slot:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

DNK posted:

I had a similar issue and ultimately isolated it to the PSU cables: I had reused old cables. The header/connector of the cables all fit perfectly, but upon close inspection the pins were mismatched: the old 6-pin PCI cable had pins as 1,2,3,5 while the new had 1,2,4,5. Something like that — don’t literally quote me on the placement.

I also had a single click on boot then nothing. I believe the “nothing” was intentionally caused by my new PSU fail-safing when it didn’t recognize the pins for all the connectors present.

Posting this to share my own story in the hopes it helps you, but it’s not necessarily a panacea; good luck.

:glomp:

I can't reuse the old cables since they were permanently attached in the old supply. I'm gonna recheck everything later and even swap out the power cable for the new one to see if that's somehow related.

Hoping for a Christmas miracle 🤞

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Funny thing is, I was also going to suggest the modular-cables before you mentioned that. I guess we've all hosed that up once.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

The nice thing about PCIe backwards compatibility means that you can drop in PCIe 5 things into a PCIe 4 board and everything just works.

With GPUs, if I recall right you can drop a 4090 down to PCIe 2.0 and lose less than 10% of total performance. I'd bet that no GPU within the next decade will be lose more than 5% performance in a PCIe 4.0 slot:

Averages can lie in scenarios like this. There are games that work just fine with reduced PCIe bandwidth and games that see a noticeable hit, and when averaged together you get numbers that don't look as bad. Of course, using PCIe 3 still isn't a big deal with the biggest outliers still being less than 10% slower, but if you have to use a 4090 with PCIe 3 x8 for some god forsaken reason, then expect some occasional serious performance problems. It also would have been really helpful to have seen 1% or 0.1% lows here, but this testing was done before W1zzard realized that people actually wanted to see that information.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Trying to help a nephew in law. He has $500. Mom wasn't mad about the price.Parents are willing to help. He's 17 and plays HOI... Would it be better to bump up to a 7000 series CPU. Does it make sense to save money on an even lesser GPU? Any other tweaks?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fnZG28

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

LRADIKAL posted:

Trying to help a nephew in law. He has $500. Mom wasn't mad about the price.Parents are willing to help. He's 17 and plays HOI... Would it be better to bump up to a 7000 series CPU. Does it make sense to save money on an even lesser GPU? Any other tweaks?

If I were you I'd actually think about using the box cooler to fit a 6600 XT in the budget. 6600 XT generally offers better value than the 6600.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LRADIKAL posted:

So, usual question of whether a Micro Center is available or not. If so there are some bundles that can help that price come down a little. That said, $700-ish is the basement floor for a half-decent gaming system right now. Bumping to a 7000-series CPU will only jump the price up by a considerable amount. Sure they'll be better parts, but not when paired with an RX 6600 non-XT.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
In my mind I'm trying to make most of the system solid, and lightly upgradable (used 5800x3D down the road? More RAM, add'l nvme slot) while relegating the GPU to being sufficient and upgradable. Seems it would push the price too far to enter DDR 5 world.

Edit: no microcenter

6600XT and stock cooler does seem smart.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 25, 2023

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

For GPU I'd go with whichever between the 6600 XT, 6650 XT, 7600 and 4060 is the cheapest day-of since sales and available stocks are such a moving target

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

:glomp:

I can't reuse the old cables since they were permanently attached in the old supply. I'm gonna recheck everything later and even swap out the power cable for the new one to see if that's somehow related.

Hoping for a Christmas miracle 🤞

Careful about mistaking PCI-E with CPU. The cables look the same but might have different pin configurations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Update: I installed the M2 SSD my wife bought me.

I did not realize that you needed a tiny screw to keep it in place on top of the riser. It's now stuck in place by duck tape.

I know that this is okay because my two SSDs are mounted into a suspended nest of power cables for years.

(I've ordered a replacement screws and the 2.5" SSDs will be gone)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Question:

If I bought the guts (CPU, mobo, SSD) to a PC during Black Friday would I ask here for recommendations for the rest of the build or the individual parts threads?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Ask away

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I happen to have an old B450 board (msi b450m pro-vdh) that I acquired a while ago and no CPU to go with it, yet. I've got a bit of money and am looking to make a modest improvement to my now very old computer (running on an i3 3220).

What are my options for getting the bios on this updated to support more recent CPUs? Amd's loaner program is only for 500 series boards. Buying an older ryzen CPU to do the update is more expensive than just getting a more recent motherboard.

Is the board effectively useless or do I still have options with it?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

What are my options for getting the bios on this updated to support more recent CPUs? Amd's loaner program is only for 500 series boards. Buying an older ryzen CPU to do the update is more expensive than just getting a more recent motherboard.

Is the board effectively useless or do I still have options with it?

Take it to a computer shop in your area and they should do it for a small fee

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Thanks! So the parts I started with were a Ryzen 7 7800X3D, ASUS Prime X670-P, and 2 WD Black SN770 2TB SSDs. Current PC was built in 2017 and is basically just for gaming at this point (Cyberpunk, BG3 and FF14 probably being the most demanding?) and Boxing Day is the only other time PC parts are affordable here in Canada. I have admittedly fallen out of the loop on parts so I am open to any and all suggestions. My budget for the remaining parts is probably in the $2000 range.

What I still need (side note: I am not terribly fussy over a little bit of noise from parts as Im usually wearing a headset/headphones just in case that factors in to recommendations)

Case: is Corsair still king? If Im worried about space (and my ability to manage it properly, my current tower has cables loving everywhere) should I just go full tower instead of mid?
Cooling: just in case better options are available for the case or CPU?
Memory: no idea if 32GB or 64GB is the recommended these days
PSU: no clue here anymore either :(
GPU: the only somewhat up to date piece in my current tower, a RX 6800 XT. I have no problems carrying this over if it will still let me take advantage of the rest of the new parts
Monitor: Im willing to go cheap here, it just needs to be better than my 7 year old BenQ :v:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Not going to dive into the whole can of worms on mobile, but I hope those are nvme ssds.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

Not going to dive into the whole can of worms on mobile, but I hope those are nvme ssds.

He said SN770s, they are

Furnaceface posted:

Monitor: Im willing to go cheap here, it just needs to be better than my 7 year old BenQ :v:

You really need to decide this first as the resolution and frame rate you’re shooting for dictates the rest of the build. Also you don’t have to spend loads but it doesn’t make any sense to me to not want something semi-decent when you’ve got literally the best gaming CPU going. There’s a dedicated monitor thread but you should easily be able to afford a decent 1440p high refresh rate screen, which your 6800xt will be more than enough to push 100+ fps in most games (not cyberpunk, admittedly, but very few cards can).

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 26, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Thanks! So the parts I started with were a Ryzen 7 7800X3D, ASUS Prime X670-P, and 2 WD Black SN770 2TB SSDs. Current PC was built in 2017 and is basically just for gaming at this point (Cyberpunk, BG3 and FF14 probably being the most demanding?) and Boxing Day is the only other time PC parts are affordable here in Canada. I have admittedly fallen out of the loop on parts so I am open to any and all suggestions. My budget for the remaining parts is probably in the $2000 range.

What I still need (side note: I am not terribly fussy over a little bit of noise from parts as Im usually wearing a headset/headphones just in case that factors in to recommendations)

Case: is Corsair still king? If Im worried about space (and my ability to manage it properly, my current tower has cables loving everywhere) should I just go full tower instead of mid?
GPU: the only somewhat up to date piece in my current tower, a RX 6800 XT. I have no problems carrying this over if it will still let me take advantage of the rest of the new parts

Went ahead and put together a pcpartpicker list for you, but I'll explain my reasonings:
Case: Corsair still makes good cases, as does Fractal Design. The two most recommended cases in the thread right now are the Corsair 4000D Airflow and the Fractal Design Pop Air. This white Fractal Pop is cheaper by a good amount than the other colors and the 4000D, but if white doesn't work for you get one of the other options.
Cooling: Thread favorite is the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE. It performs as well as tower coolers 3x its price, though you will need to manually adjust the fan speeds so it doesn't sound like a jet engine. It'll easily handle your 7800X3D.
Memory: 32GB is plenty, if you need 64GB you already know you need 64GB. DDR5-6000 CL30 is the sweet spot right now.
PSU: 750W should do you.
GPU: 6800XT is a great card, no reason to upgrade this right now.
Monitor: Ask the monitor thread, but I just dropped in a really high end IPS 1440p monitor so you can see how far $2000 CAD can get you on top of what you already have.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.90 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X670-P WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($139.97 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 319 CORE Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($137.50 @ Vuugo)
Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG279QM 27.0" 2560 x 1440 240 Hz Monitor ($999.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1412.35
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-26 11:56 EST-0500

FWIW: for the same price you could also get the Alienware AW3423DWF QD-OLED monitor which is considered one of, if not the, best gaming monitors on the market presently. Also if you need Windows get your key from Lodge North or BrownThunder in SA Mart for like $20USD.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 26, 2023

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

There’s loads of good case manufacturers these days - fractal design make some very popular and good looking cases at the moment. Corsair still have good options too, the 4000D is a popular recommendation here.

Furnaceface posted:

The thermalright peerless assassin is excellent value and enough cooling for the 7800x3D.

Furnaceface posted:

32GB is (more than) enough for gaming focused builds.

Furnaceface posted:

Something from a reputable brand with a PCIe 5 connector - you don’t need it with your current GPU but you probably will with your next one. Also a decent bit of overhead that again you don’t need now but might want for a future GPU upgrade.

Furnaceface posted:

That’s still a very capable and recent card and I don’t think it makes any sense to upgrade right now. I think the sensible play is to hold onto it for another year or two, save your money for now, then buy something in the similar price range to what that was when it was new, and you’ll see much more of a benefit then. The rest of your build will still be relevant in a few years time.

Furnaceface posted:

See above, check the monitor thread.

I made a quick and dirty list, maybe a Canada adjacent goon can refine it with better deals or whatever:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.90 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($124.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: MSI MAG A850GL PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Monitor ($333.74 @ Best Buy Canada)
Total: $758.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-26 11:58 EST-0500

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Hey folks, could use a bit of advice. I’m wanting to do an upgrade in 2 parts but I’m not sure which is going to be the best order to do it in - either the cpu, mobo and memory will be upgraded first, then the gpu - or vice versa depending on which order is going to be the biggest improvement for me while I wait to get the second part of the upgrade done since I can’t afford to do it all at once.

GPU wise I’m aiming for a 4070 probably, up from a 2060.

For the CPU I’m set on the 7800x3D seen as this thread won’t stop singing its praises, so that’s going to mean a mobo replacement which is where I’m needing the second bit of help as I’m totally out of the loop with what’s good on that front. So long as it can support at least the 2 M.2s I’ve got and ideally will play nicely with the USBs on the top of the case I’m happy - built in wireless lan would be nice but not essential. Able to support some good memory would be nice too, 32GB is overkill I know but if I can afford it for a bit of future proofing I’ll take it.

What country are you in?
UK

Do you live near Microcenter?
No

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting?
Gaming (this is where I’m noticing the need for an upgrade really), audio recording/editing, browsing

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
For either side of the upgrade I’m aiming for between £5-600 each, one now one later

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Seriously answer this. It drastically changes the recommendations you will get.
I’ve got a 165Hz 2k ultrawide monitor so 1440p is the eventual aim but I’m not married to it as a priority for the upgrade.

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?
It’s literally just Adobe audition but that’s baby poo poo as far as editing stuff goes really so don’t worry about any of this tbh.

Current full build as below:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($177.60 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($87.44 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($132.93 @ MemoryC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Predator 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 SATA Solid State Drive ($116.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($164.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus STRIX GAMING OC GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB Video Card ($549.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($202.96 @ Amazon)
Total: $1549.92

Sanitary Naptime fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

You guys are absolutely fantastic, thanks for the help and recommendations. I honestly didnt realize just how out of date this monitor is. I might start there and work my way up instead of the reverse.