Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Sorry to necro the thread, but I've been revisiting Nioh 2 Remastered. Any build tips for a boring medium-armour samurai build that's light on ninjutsu and magic? I decided to go all-in on that whole 'yokai samurai' vibe, focusing on single and double katanas (although any medium weapon is fine). Currently using the Kingo's set, and I'm sure the Kohoku Master's set is also good, but anything else I've overlooked? How about Guardian Spirits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
FightinCowboy has a playlist of tutorials and build examples, I've never followed one completely but I've used a few for reference and they should be enough to get you started:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvXX9fHd3RE&list=PL7RtZMiaOk8gPGFXijjuMy-Moss3daZ-v

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Sorry to necro the thread, but I've been revisiting Nioh 2 Remastered. Any build tips for a boring medium-armour samurai build that's light on ninjutsu and magic? I decided to go all-in on that whole 'yokai samurai' vibe, focusing on single and double katanas (although any medium weapon is fine). Currently using the Kingo's set, and I'm sure the Kohoku Master's set is also good, but anything else I've overlooked? How about Guardian Spirits?

It's been too long for me to remember everything but I remember doing most of ng+ with a combination of the Kohoku set with 2 pieces of the Master Swordsman set with a Magatama to stack the -% Ki consumption effects while targeting 300 Toughness and B Agility and Kuruma Tengu as a top off (iirc I needed Seto Taisho to reach the benchmark) . Life recovery on the Magatama and Chest piece of course with the usual Extraction, Barrier, and Spirit talismans. Ended up feeling very durable, forgiving, and sustainable.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Fightin cowboy is good resources. Ignoring magic and ninjutsu is bad idea, one of them should be used. The buffs they provide are great. After you soft cap your main stat (60??) start throw points into magic imo. I did a light armor katana build with magic for buffs that worked great. Magic can really up your survivability.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

For guardian spirits if you like blocking more than dodging I would suggest a brute spirit (they all have anima bonus when you block):
-Makami (starter wolf, you can get it from a side mission if you didn't pick it at start) gives less melee ki cost, final blow damage, and all yokai ability damage
-Atlas Bear if you find yourself getting guard broken often - gives damage bonus when low on ki and faster winded recovery (the state you get put in when you try block with not enough ki)
-Shin Roku if you're using lightning weapon talismans (recommend those if you're having trouble, shocked enemies get their attacks slowed)
-Isanagami if you're using water weapon talismans

If you find yourself dodging more than blocking then I'd suggest a feral spirit (they all have anima bonus cumulative damage - you get more anima the more hits you land in melee without getting hit)
-Masaru gives you a generic damage boost on amrita absorption and gives you purity on your strong attacks, good if you aren't using any elemental weapon scrolls
-Yaonami-hime if you're using water weapon scrolls - anima bonus on saturated enemies
-Hiyokucho gives a small generic ki bonus and ki recovery bonus when your amrita gauge is full

This is assuming you're not concerned about their unique summon spells, given that you said you weren't doing too much magic

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm also replaying Nioh 2 again, after playing with a few weapons in act one it feels like I'm settling in on claws, odachi, and ninjutsu as my core builds (so heart, strength, stamina, dexterity as my core stats).

Is there a heavy armor ninjutsu set that plays into me having a bunch of strength and stamina as well as dexterity,, or am I mostly just looking to build set bonuses for straight fighting and look to get ninjutsu bonuses from tempering armor?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm also replaying Nioh 2 again, after playing with a few weapons in act one it feels like I'm settling in on claws, odachi, and ninjutsu as my core builds (so heart, strength, stamina, dexterity as my core stats).

Is there a heavy armor ninjutsu set that plays into me having a bunch of strength and stamina as well as dexterity,, or am I mostly just looking to build set bonuses for straight fighting and look to get ninjutsu bonuses from tempering armor?

For an actual set bonus for heavy armor + ninja, the 'malefactor's set' (I think that's the name, its the spider armor from matsunaga hisahide) gives you bonuses to bombs and throwing damage. If you aren't using bombs, your best bet is just tempering your favourite gloves and accessories for kunai/throwing damage. I don't think there are any other set bonuses on heavy armor that directly effect ninja tools, until you start doing ng+ cycles and get grace bonuses.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Captainicus posted:

For an actual set bonus for heavy armor + ninja, the 'malefactor's set' (I think that's the name, its the spider armor from matsunaga hisahide) gives you bonuses to bombs and throwing damage. If you aren't using bombs, your best bet is just tempering your favourite gloves and accessories for kunai/throwing damage. I don't think there are any other set bonuses on heavy armor that directly effect ninja tools, until you start doing ng+ cycles and get grace bonuses.

I just looked it up and it seems interesting. Looks like it also has bonuses for paralysis. Is that status effect actually supported well as a player or is it like dark souls in that everything you'd want to nail with it being immune or you're just better off hitting it harder.

I've beaten Nioh 1 and 2 standard difficulty multiple times and I've never really done a ninjutsu build. :v:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

I just looked it up and it seems interesting. Looks like it also has bonuses for paralysis. Is that status effect actually supported well as a player or is it like dark souls in that everything you'd want to nail with it being immune or you're just better off hitting it harder.

I've beaten Nioh 1 and 2 standard difficulty multiple times and I've never really done a ninjutsu build. :v:

I don't remember too many things being fully immune to paralysis, but I've never liked it as a build because the status is cleared by the next hit, so if it procs in the middle of a combo it basically doesn't do anything. Ideally you'll proc it then use the gap to wind up a big hit. Think I ran a pair of paralysis tonfa for a few maps and it felt pretty :shrug: so I moved on to something else, maybe if you find a paralysis odachi or something you could time the hits better.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Pretty much all status effects in Nioh can be applied to a wide range of enemies with each only having a few unique exceptions. That said, what Takes no Damage mentioned is also my experience: paralysis is probably the most clumsy to use because it lasts for exactly 1 hit, so if you put it on a fast hitting weapon you are likely to paralyze and unparalyze the enemy with the same combo. It's very "ok" with big hit applications like Nure-Onna's AoE paralysis against mobs to apply and wind up for a juicy Iai-esque strike, but against bigger enemies and bosses where you need multiple applications for that 1 free hit it's probably the most disappointing of the bunch.

Mind if you are coming from a Souls perspective: builds in Nioh don't really exist untill the DLC/NG+, before that at best you have a tendency/leaning. The powercurve in Nioh is extremely dependent on gear and gear does not really become persistent (and viable for extensive tweaking) until the Divine (green) rarity, which only unlocks after beating the final boss in the vanilla game.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I still have yet to play Nioh 2. Nioh 1, Stranger of Paradise and Wulong are some of my favorite games in the action rpg space.

Nioh 1 has basically become like Dark Souls 1 to me, it's a comfort game where I know all the levels and weapons. Can basically speedrun a fresh start whenever I don't know what to play and I know I will always enjoy it.

I already have 2 but just haven't gotten around to it with so much poo poo in my backlog.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Calidus posted:

Fightin cowboy is good resources. Ignoring magic and ninjutsu is bad idea, one of them should be used. The buffs they provide are great. After you soft cap your main stat (60??) start throw points into magic imo. I did a light armor katana build with magic for buffs that worked great. Magic can really up your survivability.

Yeah, what I meant was that I wasn't really focusing on spells and ninjutsu. I'm using them (with the mystic arts that improve buff length), but not building towards them.

Currently working on DLC 1 after completing the main game on Way of the Samurai (the intro difficulty), and my build's treating me well so far. Upgrading Constitution, Heart, Strength, and Stamina at full speed, all other stats at half speed. Damage and survivability are both perfectly solid. Bit nervous that I'm short on good medium armour to upgrade to Divine at the moment thanks to a lack of smithing texts for stuff with set bonuses, but not a big deal yet.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ulio posted:

I already have 2 but just haven't gotten around to it with so much poo poo in my backlog.

You're in for a treat then. The story in 2 isn't as good since it had to work around you being a silent featureless protagonist, but every other aspect of the game is a solid improvement from 1. If they remastered the first game and added in all the new mechanics from 2 it'd be an instant buy.

Darth Walrus posted:

Bit nervous that I'm short on good medium armour to upgrade to Divine at the moment thanks to a lack of smithing texts for stuff with set bonuses, but not a big deal yet.

No worries there, smithing is another system you can safely ignore until NG+, and even then it's most useful for sacrificing trash gear to move bonuses around on stuff you're actually using.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

You're in for a treat then. The story in 2 isn't as good since it had to work around you being a silent featureless protagonist, but every other aspect of the game is a solid improvement from 1. If they remastered the first game and added in all the new mechanics from 2 it'd be an instant buy.

Ya I am sure of that. Team Ninja haven't had a miss for me yet. Nioh1, Stranger of Paradise, Ninja Gaiden collection and Wulong were all bangers.

Just have to find time for it, I am loving drowning in my backlog. These days I made a new rule for myself, if I buy a new game, I play it then. This reduced the amount of poo poo I buy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nioh and Wu Long stories all blur together to me. A bunch of “hey remember that guy from Japanese/Chinese history? He’s here now” while you chase around an evil wizard or something. Nioh 2 had a kinda neat little twist near the end tho.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Augus posted:

Nioh and Wu Long stories all blur together to me. A bunch of “hey remember that guy from Japanese/Chinese history? He’s here now” while you chase around an evil wizard or something. Nioh 2 had a kinda neat little twist near the end tho.

To be fair, "sengoku japan but with monsters" and "three kingdoms China but with monsters" checks a lot of the same boxes of historical drama with lots of big names and personalities and backstabbing.

I'm on the second chapter of my Nioh 2 replay and man, I generally do pretty good fighting the monsters and bosses, but the loving tengus dunk on me every time. It's too the point where any of the yokai'd out tengu enemies kill me more than the level boss. Something about that multi-kick ability that my brain cannot process and time the burst counter to.

Just a bird man styling on me forever.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

Just a bird man styling on me forever.

Heh, they were a big problem for me in the first game but by the time I played through 2 I had them pretty much down. I think I even clipped out a video of me fighting one years back when someone else was struggling against them.

Found it:
https://x.com/TND669/status/1364787765775380481?s=20

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is it just me, or is the Nightmare Bringer significantly less challenging than The First Samurai's extra-spicy remix of regular Otakemaru? Just the fact that he's got telegraphed attacks and you can get behind him seems pretty huge.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I just started Nioh 2 and I wanna say: fists own.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
yeah they do, they're my main of choice in 2. incredible responsiveness and agility with some killer openers and the izuna drop to really rub their nose in it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Darth Walrus posted:

Is it just me, or is the Nightmare Bringer significantly less challenging than The First Samurai's extra-spicy remix of regular Otakemaru? Just the fact that he's got telegraphed attacks and you can get behind him seems pretty huge.

It was easier than the Death Bird that guards the door leading to it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OhFunny posted:

I just started Nioh 2 and I wanna say: fists own.

Finally getting to kick demons is great.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I made a pair of corrupt exorcism fists and it just makes me so happy

:allears:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Fists and splitstaff was my weapon loadout and I had so much fun with them both.

For fists, make sure you don’t sleep on Reckless Charge, it’s an armored guard move that advances and lets you keep up hilarious amounts of pressure on even bosses as they attack. Fists also get a parry skill that works on a lot of boss attacks, so between that and yokai skills (I liked feral) you can just bully things.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Fists and Tonfa are just a pair of endless assault machines.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
"Sorry Master, but this time I'll have to go all out." and then you throw your weapon away and start punching the hellbeasts born from the nightmares of orphaned children.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Speaking of fists, how much importance do people put in the +attack passives. It seems like they trigger inconsistently and even when I'm actively playing for them, the highest I've ever been able to get it is like 3 plus the stomp buff - and they don't seem to make much more of a difference than say chomping down on attack pills.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Speaking of fists, how much importance do people put in the +attack passives. It seems like they trigger inconsistently and even when I'm actively playing for them, the highest I've ever been able to get it is like 3 plus the stomp buff - and they don't seem to make much more of a difference than say chomping down on attack pills.

Raising stacks is very easy, it's just explained terribly: You use a skill, then during a small set of frames immediately after you do an attack or another, different skill. You can loop a set of skills to build stacks, as long as the starter and the followup are different it doesn't matter. I'm not sure on the damage scaling between them and power pills (except that power pills scale from your ninjutsu), but they should stack together as they are separate attack buffs. And as anything in Nioh 2, the importance of damage buffs is kinda relative to what other options for damage you have or to what degree you mind the fight lasting longer.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 8, 2024

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I don't think i've ever built that fists attack buff too high but my armor skills include Versatility and Death Dancer and I feel cool as gently caress getting those to max. 😤

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

sitting at 10 stacks is not that hard to pull off and does substantially increase your damage, assuming you have other substantive damage buffs going on in addition. fists are a weapon that operates best when snowballing your advantage and this can be a big part of that.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Alright fine i guess even though its been nearly 1000 hours i'll figure out how to use the fists "PROPERLY"

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I mean, this is a game with a thousand abusable systems. if they're working fine with you ignoring the stacking buff, don't worry about it.

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017

Autsj posted:

Raising stacks is very easy, it's just explained terribly: You use a skill, then during a small set of frames immediately after you do an attack or another, different skill. You can loop a set of skills to build stacks, as long as the starter and the followup are different it doesn't matter.

I tried to figure it out after watching YouTube vids and practicing loads in the training area, but I could never do it consistently. In fact, I could never quite play as 'fluidly' with the fists as I'd have liked, not up to the level I felt I achieved with the tonfa.

A shame as fists are cool as heck

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Autsj posted:

Raising stacks is very easy, it's just explained terribly: You use a skill, then during a small set of frames immediately after you do an attack or another, different skill. You can loop a set of skills to build stacks, as long as the starter and the followup are different it doesn't matter. I'm not sure on the damage scaling between them and power pills (except that power pills scale from your ninjutsu), but they should stack together as they are separate attack buffs. And as anything in Nioh 2, the importance of damage buffs is kinda relative to what other options for damage you have or to what degree you mind the fight lasting longer.

Okay, but like, why does it seem like the stacks just don't trigger off of Fracture Foe, battering ram, iron grip and the other combo ending moves? I started looking up videos and it looks like a lot of people just build up by defensive dropping into sunrise a few times. It feels like I should absolutely be hitting combinations of special chains that trigger the stacks building and it just doesn't.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I never consistently got the fist stack thing working, so I really think it does boil down to how you play and certainly isn’t a dealbreaker if it doesn’t fit your style.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Okay, but like, why does it seem like the stacks just don't trigger off of Fracture Foe, battering ram, iron grip and the other combo ending moves? I started looking up videos and it looks like a lot of people just build up by defensive dropping into sunrise a few times. It feels like I should absolutely be hitting combinations of special chains that trigger the stacks building and it just doesn't.

Are you Ki pulsing in between? You need to input connecting skills well before the Ki pulse window closes (forgoing it, though you can pre-shift). It's possible that some combo enders are exempt from the system, I don't think so but it's been a bit too long and I don't have the game installed to check.

Trip Hazard posted:

I tried to figure it out after watching YouTube vids and practicing loads in the training area, but I could never do it consistently. In fact, I could never quite play as 'fluidly' with the fists as I'd have liked, not up to the level I felt I achieved with the tonfa.

A shame as fists are cool as heck

I agree with what Doomfunk posted above: you don't need to be good with the unbroken system to be fluid and cool with fists. You can always just drop some Confused+Beyond Infinity and there is your damage already. Nioh is a high skill-ceiling action game, damage only really matters to the degree that you need it. It's a 'handicap-system' that you want enough of to feel comfortable, but you don't need to win a fight "this opening" or "during this combo"; you can always defend, re-engage, and do another sequence. Unbroken directly competes with Ki pulsing and focusing on it can make you play quite a bit more sloppy/ugly than you otherwise might would, it's totally fine to treat it as an aside.

For videos I really like PooferLlama's series, he does some good examples and detailed talk on each weapon here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2DWkCiS1qM9MNPtRTvteZ6RXPe1CJJM9, though "spoilers": he doesn't give a gently caress about stacks. His custom lessons series also has some really fun bits and ideas in them.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
OK, there's one problem with fists. I attack so rapidly that I knock enemies out of their downed state before I register they're in it and hit Y to do the execute move.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OhFunny posted:

OK, there's one problem with fists. I attack so rapidly that I knock enemies out of their downed state before I register they're in it and hit Y to do the execute move.

Also the only downside of the 'all twirling, all the time' spear mystic art.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
Is it a downside, or is the game steering you towards 0-ki combos? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

you can whack a staggered/downed opponent a few times and still izuna them though