Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

He's alluded to Dan but not really dealt with him in full scope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Spaced God posted:

As someone who has watched every Quinton Nickelodeon video so far I'm okay with them because they're phenomenal background noise

Why not just put music on? At least with random playlists you may discover an artist whose music you enjoy. A lot more fulfilling and useful than someone droning on about childrens' shows for the length of the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Spaced God posted:

As someone who has watched every Quinton Nickelodeon video so far I'm okay with them because they're phenomenal background noise
Please just get actual audiobooks. Even if you can't pay enough attention to follow a narrative, there are plenty of good non-fiction books to just passively absorb knowledge.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
I’ll nip this in the bud, he does dive into the Dan stuff.

Kinda.

He’s summarizing Jennete’s book, which goes into the stuff on the iCarly Set with Dan, which refers to him as “The Creator”, which Quinton also calls him because again, he’s just summarizing with visuals

Terrible Opinions posted:

Please just get actual audiobooks. Even if you can't pay enough attention to follow a narrative, there are plenty of good non-fiction books to just passively absorb knowledge.

Considering the second half of this video, this is good advice.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

*taking notes* must always be learning... Cannot consume any brain rot content.... Got it

ETA so I'm not just a dick: I was the target age demo for Sam and cat and iCarly and watched both so maybe I'm just a loving zoomer who needs to turn his brain off for a few hours idk

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 26, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Endorph posted:

(...) year olds getting psychosis when they date a girl with e-cups.

yes yes (takes notes), go on

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Instead of watching a ten hour video of some huge dork reading plot summaries for a children's TV show you can just buy Jennette McCurdy's book and hear something actually interesting

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

cartoons123 posted:

I’ll nip this in the bud, he does dive into the Dan stuff.

Kinda.

He’s summarizing Jennete’s book, which goes into the stuff on the iCarly Set with Dan, which refers to him as “The Creator”, which Quinton also calls him because again, he’s just summarizing with visuals

Considering the second half of this video, this is good advice.

Lmfao oh. Just buy her book instead your welcome friendly posters

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Spaced God posted:

You are dumber than the children those TV shows were made for

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So I dunno what's up with YouTube but I tend to use YouTube for two reasons - watch video-essays, long and short form. And listen to music. Whenever I pop into the shower while listening to something, once that video finishes it 100% without fail auto-plays to something by Dan Olson. Like I love the guy, sure, but I've probably by now accumulated 10 hours on his NFT and metaverse videos. It's alright, autoplay me some hbomberguy for once

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Clerical Terrors posted:

What the gently caress is Sam and Cat and does it deserve 9 hours of video talking about it?

A significant contribution to I'm glad my mom died

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Spaced God posted:

You personally would learn more putting on cocomelon in the background.

B33rChiller posted:

A significant contribution to I'm glad my mom died

None of that is in the 21 hour video about it, Quinton is just doing plot synposis for a show for bare verbal children. He's correctly deduced that he can do less than no work and his fans are stupid enough to eat it up.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Spaced God posted:

*taking notes* must always be learning... Cannot consume any brain rot content.... Got it

ETA so I'm not just a dick: I was the target age demo for Sam and cat and iCarly and watched both so maybe I'm just a loving zoomer who needs to turn his brain off for a few hours idk
Like you can just listen to Jennette Mccurdy's book which is shorter than Quinton's videos. It isn't high art, it's just something beyond summarizing a children's show. You could listen to funnier youtubers. You could listen to hours of podcasts.

My objection isn't that it's trash, a podcast where dudes talk about robojox being cool is trash but still could be worth your time, it's that Quinton is so boring.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You personally would learn more putting on cocomelon in the background.

None of that is in the 21 hour video about it, Quinton is just doing plot synposis for a show for bare verbal children. He's correctly deduced that he can do less than no work and his fans are stupid enough to eat it up.

Oh, I wouldn't know about that. Not interest in any of the source material or Fans of it. I just happened to listen to some interviews with Jennette. She seems far more interesting as a person than any of the media she acted in as a kid.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I AM GRANDO posted:

Do those text-to-speech channels that just summarize movies or do like AI-generated explanations of what black holes are and why Earth can't colonize other star systems actually generate revenue? James should have done a few dozen of those.

If I remember right at some point YouTube demonetized text-to-speech videos as a response to the glut of those summary videos and channels. So the biggest one hired some American guy to narrate them which makes it extra funny with the stilted obviously English as a second language writing.

It's a subject I'd love someone to do a deep dive/investigation of.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

B33rChiller posted:

Oh, I wouldn't know about that. Not interest in any of the source material or Fans of it. I just happened to listen to some interviews with Jennette. She seems far more interesting as a person than any of the media she acted in as a kid.

Oh no the book and the stories around it all are very interesting and worth looking at.

Quinton instead just read wikipedia summaries for like 200 hours of yt videos and the dumbest children stand around clapping like seals over it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mr Interweb posted:

really? why would he avoid mentioning him? i don't watch his videos but his twitter presence makes it seem like he's a decent guy
The part people watch/listen to his overly long video's for: Nostalgia feeding recaps of insignificant children's show.
What they do not watch/listen for: Actual stories of mistreatment and possibly more of child actors.

Quinton has clearly been putting off mentioning the talk around Dan Scheinder in much detail for as long as possible. I can't even really blame him for it, and I doubt he is the best person to handle it as well.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

He's never going to talk about it in detail

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

He'll put out a ten hour video about him

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Endorph posted:

Re: Online Creators V: 19 year olds getting psychosis when they date a girl with e-cups

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zedd posted:

The part people watch/listen to his overly long video's for: Nostalgia feeding recaps of insignificant children's show.
What they do not watch/listen for: Actual stories of mistreatment and possibly more of child actors.

drat sounds like they want something stupid and if he made a video that was about anything he might not have to stretch it out to be 200 hours

The man deserves no sympathy he built this all like this on purpose and the people into it are dolts.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 26, 2023

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Quinten is a bottom-feeder. His entire YouTube fiefdom is built on regurgitating the byproducts of institutionalized child abuse for the amusement and nostalgia of a craven audience.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Instead of wishing that Quinton made shorter videos just watch pop arena instead.

I really hope their videos get more views, they’ve been sitting at 25k subs / ~10k views for a year or so now and they deserve so much more, the more longform stuff like the videos on nick studios or the history of looney tunes on television are as well written as anything put out by defunctland et al.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
Poparena does way better Nickelodeon Nostalgia videos and none of them are longer than an hour.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nuebot posted:

What? Like, seriously, what's going on there? I don't watch youtube videos on games I like because usually people are stupid and have lovely thoughts or are just flat out bad at a game I know how to play and it drives me bugshit.
swordcraft story is a gba rpg. you can play as a guy or a girl. if you pick the female MC theres a lot of unique dialog relating to lesbian themes and sexuality with the female NPCs, especially if you also pick a female summon as your starting one. hazel said 'this was all because they wrote with the guy in mind.' however, five minutes of play would reveal that most of this dialog is unique to the female MC, and while the male NPC also has romantic dialog with some female NPCs, its very different.

the developers, flight plan, made games with gay content of pretty much every variety going back to the saturn days, and the swordcraft story sequels also have more gay content (including stuff with two dudes). the core summon night series that swordcraft story is a spinoff of also deals with gender identity some.

while making a mistake about a single GBA rpg in a video covering a dozen of them is relatively minor on its face, the mindset that leads to that mistake and decides to go for that framing is fundamentally flawed, and its a mistake that could be solved with giving the developers just the tiniest bit of benefit of the doubt, enough to actually look into it for five minutes. so i stopped watching hazels videos

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be clear i dont think swordcraft story for gameboy advance is the front of the lesbian revolution its mostly just the mc going 'uh yeah girls, woo???' but its cute and a lot of people played it when they were like, 12, and got something out of it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DeafNote posted:

I forget where we were on Quinton controversies

But his latest 9hour video about Sam & Cat just came out and I have no interest to find out if he even bothered to mention Dan this time (since it would be his last chance).

I'm so excited to not watch this. Not even trying to shitpost. I literally don't understand why anyone would watch something like this. I barely even know what Sam & Cat is but you could probably just spend those nine hours watching old episodes of the show and get more out of your time than some dude's video summary.

Like for my part if I needed to watch nine hours of video I'd just binge an anime series from my ever-growing list of ones I keep meaning to watch.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 26, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I used to watch Quinton. But now he's gone the way of brie cheese left at the back of the fridge too long, as a creator.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mycot posted:

I mean if he was plagiarizing his bad takes it stands that they came from somewhere :v:

there are a lot of takes that are "bad" but less disagreeable if they are in the context of a broader argument, if that makes sense.

a take doesn't have to be an entire worldview, it can just be talking about one facet of something, or viewing something through a certain viewpoint. if you just parrot poo poo like this without the context, you suddenly get a broad blanket statement that was never intended to be applied broadly

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I used to watch Quinton. But now he's gone the way of brie cheese left at the back of the fridge too long, as a creator.

I guess you gotta get paid but it's a bummer seeing him go from great 30 minute videos about the decline of the History Channel or Pawn Stars to this.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

That's the thing that drives me crazy, this didn't used to be his schtick and he made a normal variety of videos but now he's just the Super Long Video Guy forever all the time. I know Youtube and the internet in general encourage gimmicks, but if he already had a following I feel like he doesn't need to do it literally every time?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there are a lot of takes that are "bad" but less disagreeable if they are in the context of a broader argument, if that makes sense.

a take doesn't have to be an entire worldview, it can just be talking about one facet of something, or viewing something through a certain viewpoint. if you just parrot poo poo like this without the context, you suddenly get a broad blanket statement that was never intended to be applied broadly
The funny thing is that the "all the interesting gays died of aids" quote that got him in so much trouble is a clear example of this. In context the original quote is obviously just a hosed up joke at Andrew Lloyd Webber's expense and not a serious analysis of gay politics ("Because of aids, we got Cats.")

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 26, 2023

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Quinton did the best long form gag about Raid Shadow Legends sponsorships anyone ever did, it's really sad to see him pissing away a brain that can do genuinely funny and weird stuff on this.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

swordcraft story is a gba rpg. you can play as a guy or a girl. if you pick the female MC theres a lot of unique dialog relating to lesbian themes and sexuality with the female NPCs, especially if you also pick a female summon as your starting one. hazel said 'this was all because they wrote with the guy in mind.' however, five minutes of play would reveal that most of this dialog is unique to the female MC, and while the male NPC also has romantic dialog with some female NPCs, its very different.

the developers, flight plan, made games with gay content of pretty much every variety going back to the saturn days, and the swordcraft story sequels also have more gay content (including stuff with two dudes). the core summon night series that swordcraft story is a spinoff of also deals with gender identity some.

while making a mistake about a single GBA rpg in a video covering a dozen of them is relatively minor on its face, the mindset that leads to that mistake and decides to go for that framing is fundamentally flawed, and its a mistake that could be solved with giving the developers just the tiniest bit of benefit of the doubt, enough to actually look into it for five minutes. so i stopped watching hazels videos
I'm 90% sure this is the result of her taking one really bad retrogamer article from 2016 as authoritative for some reason.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Still going through my video essay backlog. The only person on Youtube who likes country music recently put out a retrospective on bro country. I'm counting on the self-appointed experts of this thread to tell me if he's also a dumbfuck idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvRVUB1BBEA

Metis of the Chat Thread posted:

I recommended the Handmaiden to my hairdresser and the next time I went to get a haircut she said "you did NOT warn me how explicit that was going to be!" and it was funny.

Anyway that's my story about the Handmaiden.

For my birthday, I asked my mom and brother to watch The Handmaiden at his house, and I also didn't know that it would be super explicit. I think his roommate was the only person who walked out.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Endorph posted:

decrying the handmaiden as 'for the male gaze' when every korean lesbian loves it ftw. love when white ladies say whats good for asian ladies

yeah what the gently caress, i loved that movie and i'm bi, and every other woman i know that also likes women went wild for it when it came out

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There needs to be a new term for the Lexicon, where a video creator insists on their content being Mauler in length, and there's nothing to justify it.

How anyone can ramble for 8 hours, on Jenny Nicholson not liking Joker, and not turn into a corncob is beyond me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mycot posted:

The funny thing is that the "all the interesting gays died of aids" quote that got him in so much trouble is a clear example of this. In context the original quote is obviously just a hosed up joke at Andrew Lloyd Webber's expense and not a serious analysis of gay politics ("Because of aids, we got Cats.")

i am about 75% sure the dumb "sexy nazi" poo poo comes from literature which links leather culture with certain aspects of post-WWII culture both in and out of Germany, but this is the kind of poo poo you shouldn't be talking about outside of like, a seriously researched paper or book

i mean this would obviously not be the first time that bad takes have resulted from people taking academic discourse out of context

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

There needs to be a new term for the Lexicon, where a video creator insists on their content being Mauler in length, and there's nothing to justify it.

WhitenoiseTube

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
poparena is good and cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

If I remember right at some point YouTube demonetized text-to-speech videos as a response to the glut of those summary videos and channels. So the biggest one hired some American guy to narrate them which makes it extra funny with the stilted obviously English as a second language writing.

It's a subject I'd love someone to do a deep dive/investigation of.

I’ve seen a number of space science videos that are obviously AI-generated or just done very poorly with catalogue visuals of like cg planets with the same guy reading the scripts. He sounds kind of Canadian, with a voice I’d say has been trained for radio/broadcast.