Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Endorph posted:

hbomberguy recced a lot of morons so

Yeah who were the morons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhgI-4NeSgY

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Yeah who were the morons

Like personally I've been mixed on Maggie Mae Fish's videos. Haven't watched enough that I'd call her a moron, but in half the videos I've watched, I feel like she's making logic leaps that she's hasn't properly backed up with supporting evidence or analysis. That video on T.S. Elliot in the recommended youtuber list was amusing though. If only to learn about Elliot's "I want to be shot with arrows over and over until I die" fetish. [This is based on my recollections from watching it 2 years ago.]

If there's someone in the list that's James Somerton-levels of bad media analysis, outright lies, and/or theft I'd love to hear about it.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 26, 2023

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

that handmaiden video is one of the ones he specifically recommended as a counterpoint to somerton

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maggie may fish is an idiot. I watched her Zack Snyder one and I’ll never watch another one again. She has no media literacy and her idiocy spread to way too many people

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Her saying that dawn of the dead was suggesting actually that gays and Arabs caused the zombie virus because the crazy loon tv preacher said it, and no one else gave another reason is the dumbest poo poo and makes me so mad she said that out loud and people actually take that as truth

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Motto posted:

that handmaiden video is one of the ones he specifically recommended as a counterpoint to somerton

Was there an issue with that one beyond that people were concerned about the thumbnail?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Her saying that dawn of the dead was suggesting actually that gays and Arabs caused the zombie virus because the crazy loon tv preacher said it, and no one else gave another reason is the dumbest poo poo and makes me so mad she said that out loud and people actually take that as truth

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
dawn of the gays

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also she’s a decedent of fuckin Albert fish lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Was there an issue with that one beyond that people were concerned about the thumbnail?
i watched it

it was bad

it completely misunderstands handmaidens ending for starters

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CelticPredator posted:

Also she’s a decedent of fuckin Albert fish lmao

There's a nepo baby joke somewhere here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you start from the premise that lesbian fiction is 'male gaze'y (male gaze being a term made up on youtube to yell about why tomb raider needed a reboot where lara croft dies via having her throat impaled by a rusty metal pipe) then you are going to be inherently suspicious of any display of lesbian sexuality. this is a terrible place to start from and mostly leads to 19 year olds getting psychosis when they date a girl with e-cups.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mycot posted:

There's a nepo baby joke somewhere here

It probably didn’t make it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also ive mentioned the hazel swordcraft story thing seventeen times but everytime i think about it it makes me madder. a company made a concentrated effort to include gay and gender stuff in all their games starting in freaking 98, died, and their eternal reward is a youtuber saying they did it on accident because she cant be assed to redo the first five minutes of the game with the male player character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lgbt media matters, unless a youtuber decides you dont count

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

somerton, thievery and nazi fetish aside (which are not insubstantial things to put aside, to be clear), is not meaningfully distinct from the big LGBT youtubers hbomberguy rushed to applaud as 'the real alternatives.' the fundamental world view is shared across all of them. you can tell because somerton copied them word for word and nobody thought it seemed out of character for him specifically. the fundamental incuriosity, the rush to moral judgement, and the lack of primary sources are largely identical.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I mean if he was plagiarizing his bad takes it stands that they came from somewhere :v:

And, I've repeated this a lot but so many people wouldn't have bought into these "obviously bad" takes if there wasn't an audience who was already inclined to believe what he was claiming. Somerton genuinely has a real talent for identifying this.

CelticPredator posted:

It probably didn’t make it
Ah there it is. All I had was "nepo baby eater."

mycot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 26, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I tried watching the recommended Shanspeare video about people souring on true crime and it starts with an absolutely excruciating five minute long skit of thinking your therapist is a secret murderer that’s only got one joke and it’s already spent after 10 seconds

The lady Emily video about Harley Quinn and poison ivy was good though

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Endorph posted:

if you start from the premise that lesbian fiction is 'male gaze'y (male gaze being a term made up on youtube to yell about why tomb raider needed a reboot where lara croft dies via having her throat impaled by a rusty metal pipe) then you are going to be inherently suspicious of any display of lesbian sexuality. this is a terrible place to start from and mostly leads to 19 year olds getting psychosis when they date a girl with e-cups.

Male gaze isn't a term made up on youtube. It's just something people misuse constantly like the Bechdel Test.

I was watching watching that video and the other one with the Heartstopper character on it and they both seem fine? They were praising The Handmaiden, but said maybe it wasn't completely free of objectifying the female characters? I haven't watched The Handmaiden, but knowing there's an interesting additional adaption of Fingersmith is cool so I'll have to watch it. She doesn't sound suspicious of lesbian sexuality to me.

Her videos also constantly cite primary sources. Like this interview where the Handmaiden's director talks about how he considered the male gaze while creating the series:
https://thefilmstage.com/park-chan-wook-talks-the-handmaiden-male-gaze-queer-influence-and-remaking-a-spike-lee-film/

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Male gaze isn't a term made up on youtube. It's just something people misuse constantly like the Bechdel Test.
to be clear i know it isnt actually made up by youtube

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
lol fair enough

Arivia posted:

I tried watching the recommended Shanspeare video about people souring on true crime and it starts with an absolutely excruciating five minute long skit of thinking your therapist is a secret murderer that’s only got one joke and it’s already spent after 10 seconds

The lady Emily video about Harley Quinn and poison ivy was good though

I remember posting that one here when it came out to recc it, but I would totally be for twin playlists that separate out excruciating theater kid skits from people who can restrain themselves to, at most, twee costumes and lighting.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 26, 2023

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

I never understood what the draw was to Maggie Mae fish and assumed the channel rode entirely on a good outfit game. Everytime I watched it, it just felt boring

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Here's the thing though, the perfect Youtuber with the perfect opinions and perfect politics who never ever said anything bad doesn't exist. The absolute smartest people you've ever heard of is still always going to have said or done some cringey poo poo at some point.

I think Hbomb putting out that rec list is really awesome and has certainly presented me with a handy to-watch list to spend my time on, but it's a mistake to be searching for the next great big queer opinion-haver with the purest of thoughts that you should always take without any grains of salt. Putting internet personalities on those kinds of pedestals is how we end up getting the next Lindsey Ellis, or whoever.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Alexander Avila was on hbomb's reclist and he's great. Really enjoyed "TikTok gave me autism". Lots of great citation and synthesis and research from a young perspective on a very ... Complicated social trend.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

Here's the thing though, the perfect Youtuber with the perfect opinions and perfect politics who never ever said anything bad doesn't exist. The absolute smartest people you've ever heard of is still always going to have said or done some cringey poo poo at some point.

It’s cathoderaydude

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I watched the Jacob geller top 10 games of the year and picked up tchia. It's such a cozy and chill game with beautiful colours and music and also you are in new Caledonia. I also got to kiss a girl, finally. You play a tiny child who is pretty much a terminator who can swim for minutes without going up for air and run for miles over two major islands without breaking a sweat if you have her eat a banana once in a while. When there are enemy camps instead of being a lowly virgin in far cry 3 where you stalk around and pick one guy after another cosplaying as a ninja, you just storm your way in like a chad and grab some oil lamps then ignite the gently caress out of everyone, including yourself, while she smiles happily as a fruit tree grows out of the burning embers of the enemy treasure pile and she devours the fruit as big as her head in one mouthful. When you climb to a viewpoint instead of letting an eagle fly around you or use your Nintendo switch (a Wii u in the previous game) to, yawn, scan stuff as if you are a hacker man she shrieks at the top of her lungs to reveal places like, this is where you get to eat local street food You can also play a ukelele that summons a bird which you can possess and fly at mach 8 speed across the map and when you press r2 you can make it poop. 10/10 recommend

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

malegaze is what you call shoegaze with a dude vocalist

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Crain posted:

This is something that gives Somerton away as well. He didn't seem to understand or engage with any of the media he talked about because of the particular mode in which he was approaching them with. I don't think the man is incapable of understanding art, movies, history, or anything else, but he never tried. He only read, watched, or listened to media with the mindset of "what can I quote, reference, or edit into a video?". He put out so much stuff that he didn't have the time, nor cared to put in the time, to give anything multiple passes. He clearly only gave any particular thing one go and during that go was just highlighting poo poo to pull for a video, and if you're doing that exclusively there is no way you can actually come away with any real knowledge or understand of something.

[...snip...]

That's the kinda poo poo Somerton was doing. Scanning through some piece of media and every so often going "That looks important, let's use that", figuring out where in the timeline to drop it, and then moving on without ever conceptualizing what he just saw or heard. His brain was only ever in plagiarize mode.

trilobite terror posted:

judging by his apology video that’s pretty likely what it was

he wanted to make all sorts of other content and have his own media company and do a bunch of different poo poo behind/in front of the camera and be a celebrated internet gay with a nebula partnership and streamy awards and an expensive office full of serious artist toys and the video essays about media are the first thing that really hit, so he had to build his channel around them.

I’m sure seeing some video essayist nebula people get to make expensive feature-length creative projects getting what I can only assume are tens of thousands of views gave him a model for what to do as well.

Yeah, without trying to guess why he started doing this it's pretty clear that the eventual business model he landed on with his Youtube videos looks a hell of a lot like those grifters who are attempting to generate 'passive income' by picking a popular topic and pumping out endless 'content' as quickly and efficiently as possible, usually by plagiarizing dozens of sources

Tom Nicholas did a video about internet grifts and the section about becoming a fake internet expert is pretty much exactly what Somerton was doing. It's content creation purely as a business hustle, not because you have any passion for the topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bq3SdfzcA4&t=2157s
(37:55 if the timestamp doesn't work)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

DoctorWhat posted:

Alexander Avila was on hbomb's reclist and he's great. Really enjoyed "TikTok gave me autism". Lots of great citation and synthesis and research from a young perspective on a very ... Complicated social trend.
Yeah I actually liked a lot of these. I'm looking forward to more from them 'cuz they've hit a pretty good stride.

...but then I watched the earlier ones talking about Teen Wolf or whatever and it was also kinda bad :xd:

But hey you cut your losses.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 26, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BrianWilly posted:

I think Hbomb putting out that rec list is really awesome and has certainly presented me with a handy to-watch list to spend my time on, but it's a mistake to be searching for the next great big queer opinion-haver with the purest of thoughts that you should always take without any grains of salt. Putting internet personalities on those kinds of pedestals is how we end up getting the next Lindsey Ellis, or whoever.

Yeah but somerton sucked and stole, internet history stole and is a chud, and Maggie may fish is an idiot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

i think theres a difference between 'ugh how dare these people not be perfect literally at all times' and judging people on the things theyve said, the context in which they said them, and the underlying motivations of why they said them as expressed by themselves

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah, without trying to guess why he started doing this it's pretty clear that the eventual business model he landed on with his Youtube videos looks a hell of a lot like those grifters who are attempting to generate 'passive income' by picking a popular topic and pumping out endless 'content' as quickly and efficiently as possible, usually by plagiarizing dozens of sources

Tom Nicholas did a video about internet grifts and the section about becoming a fake internet expert is pretty much exactly what Somerton was doing. It's content creation purely as a business hustle, not because you have any passion for the topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bq3SdfzcA4&t=2157s
(37:55 if the timestamp doesn't work)

I think there's enough to condemn and criticize without having to psychoanalyze or invent reasons to pathologize what can likely be attributed to simple laziness-- intellectual laziness and literal laziness.

He talks about it in his apology a bit, but he wanted to do podcasts where ppl discuss a movie off the cuff and say witty things. Like a gay version of Caravan of Garbage/Weekly Planet or Flophouse or a million other similar pods. Like he and some friends/collaborators would watch a famous gay movie and just rap about it on a stream afterward. He didn't want to do any research, or at most do minimal research.

The thing with those podcasts is that the ship has kinda sailed on grinding up to success with them unless you're either extremely funny and you have an absolutely 10/10 podcast that spreads virulently through word of mouth, or you start with an existing audience doing some other form of content and slowly turn the drip feed up on your podcasting side-gig/you have existing fame that you parlay into pod.

I think that's why James was so keen on gaining cred online and pestering other creators. He doesn't have friends of his own to pod with and was hoping to like get in good with Abby Thorn, etc. Lol I said I wouldn't try to analyze and here I am down a "it was all for the pod!" rabbit hole

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like i dont want 'the next big queer opinion haver with the purest of thoughts' i just dont want them to be a moron

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do those text-to-speech channels that just summarize movies or do like AI-generated explanations of what black holes are and why Earth can't colonize other star systems actually generate revenue? James should have done a few dozen of those.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Endorph posted:

if you start from the premise that lesbian fiction is 'male gaze'y then you are going to be inherently suspicious of any display of lesbian sexuality. this is a terrible place to start from and mostly leads to 19 year olds getting psychosis when they date a girl with e-cups.

yes

Endorph posted:

(male gaze being a term made up on youtube to yell about why tomb raider needed a reboot where lara croft dies via having her throat impaled by a rusty metal pipe)

no

Endorph posted:

to be clear i know it isnt actually made up by youtube

yes

Nuns with Guns posted:

Like personally I've been mixed on Maggie Mae Fish's videos.

yes

i followed mmf for a while and i guess some of her videos land better than others, but by the uhhh hero's journey video i was left asking myself "does this actually merit an essay. like is there anything worth saying here" and realized that was the same impression i'd ended up with her last, like, three videos. might be the first time i unfollowed someone just for being too boring. cats video was good i guess

Endorph posted:

like i dont want 'the next big queer opinion haver with the purest of thoughts' i just dont want them to be a moron

no

i just sort of assume we're all a bunch of loving morons, i'm just expecting people to not be morons in a way that specifically obstructs their contribution, and even then i can be pretty forgiving depending on context

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i am very smart, actually

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i am very smart, actually
same

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I have no time for self denigration, have some loving confidence in yourself and your abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I have no time for self denigration, have some loving confidence in yourself and your abilities.