Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I could easily defeat a cheetah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Cheetahs don't play fair.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cheetahs cross the street when they see me

'Easily' is probably an exaggeration, but I think there are literally no recorded cases of a cheetah killing a human in the wild.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Cheetahs are also pretty skittish and more likely to run like hell from humans.

Or possibly try to race you on your bike if they're feeling playful.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm being chased by a tiger on a bicycle. Please help.

Not a chance, I don't want them chasing me next

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Cheetahs aren't even real big cats, the posers

(they meow and its the cutest loving thing)

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
In zoos Cheetahs have dogs as buddies to help with anxiety. https://youtu.be/Ndlf5_L5gsE?si=rOel4LEoB8x6S_fJ

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

mycatscrimes posted:

Cheetahs aren't even real big cats, the posers

(they meow and its the cutest loving thing)

They seem real big to me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

They're big small cats

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The delineation between big cats and regular cats is pretty simple, big cats roar, regular cats meow. Cheetahs are thus the biggest regular cats.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Kwyndig posted:

The delineation between big cats and regular cats is pretty simple, big cats roar, regular cats meow. Cheetahs are thus the biggest regular cats.

Does that make bobcats the smallest Big Cat?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Big cat the size of a small cat

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SpacePig posted:

Does that make bobcats the smallest Big Cat?

Common misconception, bobcats don't roar. They make chittering sounds like when your housecat sees a bird outside. The smallest big cat is a kind of leopard.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Jesus H, that's cute

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The big cats that the vet tech told me about, in order from least likely to kill you to most likely to dismember you and growl over the bits and not let anyone take them, All of this based on the assumption that you are not a stranger to the cats, possibly even were involved in their daily care, or hand raised them: cheetah, lion (to be fair, there is quite a jump from cheetah to lion), tiger, leopard, jaguar.

She classified these as the most common big cats to be found in standard zoos, something like a snow leopard or bobcat or serval would not be. Well, I think a serval is more of a small cat in terms of zoological description.

Of those cats listed above, a cheetah is most likely to turn and run if you chase at it, even if it can definitely outrun you over short distances, overall, they're much more skittish than the bigger ones. Obviously your mileage may vary dependent on the state of hunger of the cat, how well it knows you, and still the fact that it is a wild animal.

I do recall a story she told me at a wildlife preserve she worked at briefly in Africa, where a young teen girl was kidnapped from her family's farm, by a group of men who wanted her to pick one of them to marry her. A small pride of lions appeared, which made the men take off for their lives, and I'm not sure if it was just the lionesses or the lion as well that made this kind of circle around the girl who was crying on the ground, but it was enough of a disturbance with the lions at the game wardens were able to rescue her. She was unharmed by the lions who pretty much left as soon as the wardens got close enough to be identified.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m a little surprised that leopards outrank tigers.

I mean, when is the last time you saw a leopard chasing a person on a motorbike?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sometimes animals do that, they see a human in distress and try to protect them. Most commonly with dolphins but there are stories of other animals coming to the rescue, usually pack animals.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I would just offer some cheese to any cheetah, I like to live dangerously cheesy.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Cowslips Warren posted:

I do recall a story she told me at a wildlife preserve she worked at briefly in Africa, where a young teen girl was kidnapped from her family's farm, by a group of men who wanted her to pick one of them to marry her. A small pride of lions appeared, which made the men take off for their lives, and I'm not sure if it was just the lionesses or the lion as well that made this kind of circle around the girl who was crying on the ground, but it was enough of a disturbance with the lions at the game wardens were able to rescue her. She was unharmed by the lions who pretty much left as soon as the wardens got close enough to be identified.
Despite sounding like a Fwd Fwd Fwd Re: Power of God's Love!!! grandma email, this appears to have actually happened.

Ethiopian girl reportedly guarded by lions

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Kwyndig posted:

Sometimes animals do that, they see a human in distress and try to protect them. Most commonly with dolphins but there are stories of other animals coming to the rescue, usually pack animals.

When my nephew first learned to run, my brother would chase him around the house in circles while my nephew laughed and screamed, their dogs would get extremely upset about it, and join in the chase, trying to "herd" my brother away from the kid, barking like mad.

It was extremely cute.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I’m a little surprised that leopards outrank tigers.

I mean, when is the last time you saw a leopard chasing a person on a motorbike?

because the leopards don't leave witnesses

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Kwyndig posted:

Mountain lions are bigger than cheetahs right? I know they meow too. I saw a YouTube video about it and everything.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kwyndig posted:

There's cases of predators basically adopting prey animals and I always wonder if eventually they just get tired of them and eat them.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Robobot posted:

Mountain lions are bigger than cheetahs right? I know they meow too. I saw a YouTube video about it and everything.

They're the size of mountains, it says so in the name.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Squidster posted:

Despite sounding like a Fwd Fwd Fwd Re: Power of God's Love!!! grandma email, this appears to have actually happened.

Ethiopian girl reportedly guarded by lions

That was it directly. I believe the tech's explanation was that Lions are group animals, rather than the mostly solitary tigers and jags and leopards.

I remember I had several friendly interactions with the orange tiger female we had at the zoo, she was always in her exhibit and I was not one of her keepers, but she saw me every day for a while and we would end up playing Chase along the very thick dual fences around her enclosure. It was to the point where she would see me, I would run to one spot and have my back turned and she would end up making all the zoo guests who was watching starts screaming and panic because she would literally leap across her enclosure and race at me. Now. Of course there being dual reinforced fences, I was in no danger at all, let alone the fact there was a barrier about 3 ft from the fences to keep the public from getting close. But more times than not she would end up leaping up with her front paws and claws extended and would grip is high as she could on the first of the fence work, so everyone could see how big her paws were, how thick her claws were, and just how tall a tiger actually is when she stands on her back feet. To which I would turn around and make the tiger greeting noise which was this kind of low huffing under my breath, and she would drop down and we would just pace back and forth until one of us started to run. The other would pick up the pace as well and we will repeat cycle for a while.

It got to the point that I could even call her name and she would come loping over the way house cat will. I remember talking to the tech about that, and she said obviously would be different if you were in her enclosure, that's her territory as opposed to you guys being in your own territories and just interacting, but of all the cats we have, she is the most friendly. That said, one actual scream of fear from you, or/and blood and all that friendliness would disappear with instinct. And in the years since, with my various interactions with foster cats, as in normal house cats or the rare exotic Bengal or ocicat, That's very much clear with even them, what starts at as a fun little chase the toy or mock wrestle can definitely end up with you getting bitten and need an antibiotics.

That's still amuses me, over my life with animals. I've probably been bitten and scratched by a few dozen different species, but the only one that actually got infected and I needed antibiotics was my fluffy little white Disney princess kitten who bit me on the hand.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Elviscat posted:

When my nephew first learned to run, my brother would chase him around the house in circles while my nephew laughed and screamed, their dogs would get extremely upset about it, and join in the chase, trying to "herd" my brother away from the kid, barking like mad.

It was extremely cute.

The golden retriever/husky/German Shepard mutt we had until earlier this year (made it to 16, pretty good for a 75 lb dog) would get all riled up anytime people were laughing or horsing around. He'd get right up in your face with his dog breath and bark loudly while play growling. Never bit or attacked, just didn't seem to understand how to play. Could usually distract him with a toy that he would immediately shake to death.

He also would yell a lot, similar to a real husky but thankfully not nearly as loud or as much.

Admiral Joeslop has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Dec 26, 2023

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's a good dog, sorry for your loss.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
just to resolve the big cat vs small cat thing, there are only seven big cats- the Lion, Tiger, Jaguar, Leopard, Snow Leopard , Clouded Leopard and Sunda Clouded Leopard. everything else is in a different genus and is a "small" cat.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I want to pet them all

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
oh absolutely like I know 100% a clouded leopard should not have contact with humans and would peel me alive but they're so loving cute

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

YggiDee posted:

just to resolve the big cat vs small cat thing, there are only seven big cats- the Lion, Tiger, Jaguar, Leopard, Snow Leopard , Clouded Leopard and Sunda Clouded Leopard. everything else is in a different genus and is a "small" cat.

I remember reading a riddle that goes something like this (I may have some/all of it wrong):

An American hunter in the Colorado Rockies is trapped by a cougar, a puma, a mountain lion and a panther. He has only one bullet left. How does he escape and survive?

Answer: He shoots the animal; in American lingo cougar, puma, and mountain lion refer to the same animal, and panther is a generic term for any of the 'big' cats with a solid coat.

So, are those animals "small" cats? Or is there a "medium" category appropriate for them? And is that riddle worded accurately?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
A small cat the size of a large cat

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

House cats are small and humble so you dont confuse them with mountain lions.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
the puma/cougar/mountain lion is taxonomically a small cat, it's just loving huge. "Panther" means an all-black melanistic variant of the leopard or jaguar. the riddle technically works in that 'panther' has been used as one of the three dozen slang terms for a cougar but also anyone who calls a cougar a panther is wrong.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Not a big cat, taxonomically, but I read that the black-footed cat is the most successful predator among cats at least, I'd not in general.

It also looks exactly like what you imagine when reading the phrase "black-footed cat"

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Pallas Cats are the best looking.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

YggiDee posted:

the puma/cougar/mountain lion is taxonomically a small cat, it's just loving huge. "Panther" means an all-black melanistic variant of the leopard or jaguar. the riddle technically works in that 'panther' has been used as one of the three dozen slang terms for a cougar but also anyone who calls a cougar a panther is wrong.

That’s a black panther, specifically, OP.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Serperoth posted:

Not a big cat, taxonomically, but I read that the black-footed cat is the most successful predator among cats at least, I'd not in general.

It also looks exactly like what you imagine when reading the phrase "black-footed cat"

Biiiiiiigggg stretch (to get ready for killin')

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It looks like a regular cat but it must have much better stats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've never heard Panther refer to anything other than an all-black jaguar or leopard before today so I guess I've learned something