Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Also if you want longass videos to play in the background I suggest Jordan Fringe. He at least seems to enjoy the stuff he talks about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

CelticPredator posted:

Also she’s a decedent of fuckin Albert fish lmao

i thought you were loving with me a little bit. that is LITERALLY the worst deflection i have ever seen in my entire life.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It is a weird thing to make fun of someone for.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

tbh it's so obscure and weird and inconsequential it's the perfect thing to make fun of someone for

fun hater
May 24, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

hell, im making fun of her for it right now.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Solitair posted:

Still going through my video essay backlog. The only person on Youtube who likes country music recently put out a retrospective on bro country. I'm counting on the self-appointed experts of this thread to tell me if he's also a dumbfuck idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvRVUB1BBEA

Nah, Spectrum Pulse is cool, though I haven't kept up with him much since he transitioned to more short-form reviews.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOnO_Hjueak

good video about Age of Empires 2, its enduring popularity, and how he thinks its the best RTS since it isn't infected with sweaty overly competitive types.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s just funny that she’s related to the grossest serial killer of all time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i am about 75% sure the dumb "sexy nazi" poo poo comes from literature which links leather culture with certain aspects of post-WWII culture both in and out of Germany, but this is the kind of poo poo you shouldn't be talking about outside of like, a seriously researched paper or book

i mean this would obviously not be the first time that bad takes have resulted from people taking academic discourse out of context
not to get too much into a youtubers inner world but he likely just had an aesthetic and historical fascination with the concept of gay people inside the nazi party/nazi germany, and instead of reading literature about this and coming to an informed conclusion he just sorta projected it outwards into the world

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Endorph posted:

not to get too much into a youtubers inner world but he likely just had an aesthetic and historical fascination with the concept of gay people inside the nazi party/nazi germany, and instead of reading literature about this and coming to an informed conclusion he just sorta projected it outwards into the world

Very much ties in with his cowriter declaring that he didn't bother fact checking things and based them on "observation"

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I'm not gonna make fun of somebody for being related to a serial killer, but I am gonna be baffled how you don't incorporate that into your Youtube career at all, like become a black metal critic or food reviewer.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I'm not gonna make fun of somebody for being related to a serial killer, but I am gonna be baffled how you don't incorporate that into your Youtube career at all, like become a black metal critic or food reviewer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dR29Vzk07Q

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

BrianWilly posted:

Here's the thing though, the perfect Youtuber with the perfect opinions and perfect politics who never ever said anything bad doesn't exist. The absolute smartest people you've ever heard of is still always going to have said or done some cringey poo poo at some point.

This statement is blasphemy for as long as the perfect and infallible angel, Rich Evans, is still generous enough to appear in videos for our enjoyment.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I haven't the faintest clue what making fun of Maggie Mae Fish for being related to a serial killer from a century ago is supposed to do other than annoy her.

Or maybe I'm the brain damaged one for not engaging idk

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I have compelling evidence that links Maggie Mae Fish to at least 4 of the 5 Zodiac killings

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

I have compelling evidence that links Maggie Mae Fish to at least 4 of the 5 Zodiac killings

She did the fifth one as well, she was just dressed as a cat like she was in the TS Elliott video.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

fun hater posted:

i thought you were loving with me a little bit. that is LITERALLY the worst deflection i have ever seen in my entire life.

Oh man, I forgot about that nonsense tweet. Thanks for the laugh.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Solitair posted:

The only person on Youtube who likes country music .

I noticed he says something similar near the start. Is this a tongue in cheek in joke for his audience?

Vvvmaybe, couldn't say. It just raised a flag for me. I don't follow country, but had still seen 2 videos by Pat Finnerty on country songs recently, during which, he mentions he likes country.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 26, 2023

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

B33rChiller posted:

I noticed he says something similar near the start. Is this a tongue in cheek in joke for his audience?

I'm also joking, but I'm not seeing much evidence that it's not true. As far as I can tell, he is legitimately the music Youtuber who covers country music the most.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i remember a pretty good podcast by the son of David Allan Coe, a guy who managed to get ostracized by country music for being too racist

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

B33rChiller posted:

Oh, I wouldn't know about that. Not interest in any of the source material or Fans of it. I just happened to listen to some interviews with Jennette. She seems far more interesting as a person than any of the media she acted in as a kid.

The book isn't really about the shows just her life, which happens to include the shows. I think that makes sense lol, but it's very good

I AM GRANDO posted:

It's extremely funny actually especially because it doesn't actually affect her in any way

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Star Man posted:

I haven't the faintest clue what making fun of Maggie Mae Fish for being related to a serial killer from a century ago is supposed to do other than annoy her.

its called "trolling" and its sanctioned by god

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i remember a pretty good podcast by the son of David Allan Coe, a guy who managed to get ostracized by country music for being too racist

Coe is awfully close to Roe and that’s a fish word. Hmmm. :tinfoil:

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

i would. not tune into the albert fish descendant's cooking channel

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

fun hater posted:

i would. not tune into the albert fish descendant's cooking channel

You'd be a little bit curious though surely. Like, maybe check out a highlight reel?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

fun hater posted:

its called "trolling" and its sanctioned by god

Then I reject God and am a blasphemer. Hail Satan.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Youtuber maggie fish, who is reading this thread right now, is extremely upset that people are going 'woah she's related to The Wooly Scarf Slasher lmao'. hosed up

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

haha whats she gonna do, slit my throat?? - girl who later died of a slit throat

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

tinaun posted:

Instead of wishing that Quinton made shorter videos just watch pop arena instead.

I really hope their videos get more views, they’ve been sitting at 25k subs / ~10k views for a year or so now and they deserve so much more, the more longform stuff like the videos on nick studios or the history of looney tunes on television are as well written as anything put out by defunctland et al.

I've tried two videos so far and I agree, this is nice. It's pretty much exactly what Quinton should have been making instead.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s weird to think about how my grandpa was the Chicago Tylenol killer AND the ricin letter writer. He had so many stories.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

DaysBefore posted:

Youtuber maggie fish, who is reading this thread right now, is extremely upset that people are going 'woah she's related to The Wooly Scarf Slasher lmao'. hosed up

You made me go look up what his serial killer superhero name was, and that's not on there, but I feel it's unfair one man gets to be both the "Werewolf of Wysteria" and the "Brooklyn Vampire." Bethesda won't let us play both at the same time for a reason!!!

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

poparena is good and cool

Poparena sucks because I keep misreading their name as Popearena and then I get mad that there's not a channel dedicated to Papal boxing matches and this is clearly their fault.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i think fish was too nasty to have a silly name lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

fun hater posted:

weird way to put it out there that you don't talk to non-whites.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hazel might have gotten swordcraft story's deal wrong but i don't really hold it against her much bc her videos are just about stuff she played/watched growing up and how they make her feel nostalgic. they're pretty banal vibey videos and i like that

and also the videos are generally pretty personal

someone like somerton puts none of himself into his work to the point that it doesn't qualify as art. but he's a marketing/business guy, so, that tracks

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This is the marketing mindset that youtube surely needs more of!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hazel's stuff is best when it is autobiographical and memoir-y like her video about that head explosion anime

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also the thing about quinton's videos is that he actually DOESN'T spend 21 hours recapping sam and cat. of the 21 hours, maybe 1-2 of those hours is spent recapping the show and the rest is all "intermission" content. so it's uncharitable to say he doesn't put effort in, in fact having his dad talk about beverly hillbillies for 24 hours for an april fools prank is too much effort. most of these videos are him doing tedious conspiracy theory crafting, playing a video game adaptation, having a table read of an unfilmed spinoff script, doing a shipping board for some reason, reviewing web material

it's ridiculous to the point where he has mid-intermission intermissions and i'm not joking

e: i haven't seen the new one and if my roommates watch it i will just play video games and zone out lol

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

e: i haven't seen the new one and if my roommates watch it i will just play video games and zone out lol

that's a hostile living environment :sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

hazel might have gotten swordcraft story's deal wrong but i don't really hold it against her much bc her videos are just about stuff she played/watched growing up and how they make her feel nostalgic. they're pretty banal vibey videos and i like that

and also the videos are generally pretty personal
if she played swordcraft story as a kid and has an attachment to it then that take is even sadder