Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

hazel's good people. i have no idea what exactly she got wrong in one video the people here are complaining about, but hazel's a very laid back, happy vibes type content creator. doubt she was trying to do an hbomb level takedown of whatever/whoever.

also the best video she made was the one on eiken club. that was a helluva interesting deep dive...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The 7th Guest posted:

hazel might have gotten swordcraft story's deal wrong but i don't really hold it against her much bc her videos are just about stuff she played/watched growing up and how they make her feel nostalgic. they're pretty banal vibey videos and i like that

That particular video is also the only one that has a Nicky segment in it and since they've passed she probably doesn't want to take it down and fix it. Which in any other case she probably would have, because ya she just got that segment very wrong based on what Endorph said and that big rear end comment on the actual video.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 26, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Solitair posted:

I'm also joking, but I'm not seeing much evidence that it's not true. As far as I can tell, he is legitimately the music Youtuber who covers country music the most.

Todd in the Shadows talks about country a fair bit, it was a good chunk of his best list last year. Then a lot of his worst list this year.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
patsy cline and hank williams sr ftw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the previously mentioned David Allan Coe also recorded a really funny cover of Steve Goodman's "You Never Even Called Me By My Name" which is one of my favorite songs ever

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Disrupt.TV is probably known-ish here for the massive drama bomb involving them earlier this year, but it seems that they're back with a new team including Jeffiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gTifBCq3iE

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the previously mentioned David Allan Coe also recorded a really funny cover of Steve Goodman's "You Never Even Called Me By My Name" which is one of my favorite songs ever

Mis reading this made me wish John Goodman did more musical stuff.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

B33rChiller posted:

Mis reading this made me wish John Goodman did more musical stuff.

watch True Stories!

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I miss Quinton Reviews' Fallen Titans era and his videos that aren't hours-long retrospectives of weird Nickelodeon/Disney shows.

Why did he get obsessed with doing these in the first place? Was it around the same time he got accused of being a bit of a creep (I think, I could be remembering things wrong)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Why did he get obsessed with doing these in the first place? Was it around the same time he got accused of being a bit of a creep (I think, I could be remembering things wrong)
A Drake and Josh (I think) video was a joke Patreon goal that actually got fulfilled and then it turned out to be apparently way more popular than his previous content.

I don't think Quintin is a creep, just a dumb 20 year old who was incompetently managing a dumb 19 year old because he got way over his head. Obviously he should pay out everyone involved but if anything it's kinda weird that not wanting a personal friendship with his editor and rebuffing her advances is considered being mean.

e. It was iCarly, which at the time was kind of a meme to reference ironically.

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 27, 2023

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Autisanal Cheese posted:

I miss Quinton Reviews' Fallen Titans era and his videos that aren't hours-long retrospectives of weird Nickelodeon/Disney shows.

i actually turned on Quinton before any of this stuff, it was the Tobiscus fallen titans video where half the runtime of the 40 minute video is Quinton talking in a wretched sad monotone about how he wasn't sure if he was still going to make this video because of the Bad Things Tobiscus did without ever actually like, talking about whatever Bad Things Tobiscus apparently did

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Solitair posted:

Still going through my video essay backlog. The only person on Youtube who likes country music recently put out a retrospective on bro country. I'm counting on the self-appointed experts of this thread to tell me if he's also a dumbfuck idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvRVUB1BBEA

This is really great, longform music criticism like this that isn’t just lists is so uncommon. Justice for Kacey Musgrave!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Completely tangential but I just remembered something when someone mentioned listening to music on YouTube. You know those hours- long video of a compilation of songs by channels with goofy names like "the best golden age of music" and "songs of love and peace" where they have a video of 50 Frank sinatra songs or soft rock of the 70s to 90s, etc? When I'm at my parents place they have an old mac in the kitchen where they would throw these on a playlist and just let them run in the background.

So something I've found was that some of these videos would end with one or two songs that were obviously not what the title was. Like that Frank sinatra video? It ends with a Filipino song from the 00s. A hank williams video ends with Vietnamese cha cha music.

If we suddenly paid attention we would listen in confusion yet none of the comments ("so beautiful, when I was a child I would dance in the bathtub to this, woke is the enemy to creativity") would make reference to this at all. It's happened in more than a few videos that we started noticing them. Does anyone know what is up with those?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Endorph posted:

swordcraft story is a gba rpg. you can play as a guy or a girl. if you pick the female MC theres a lot of unique dialog relating to lesbian themes and sexuality with the female NPCs, especially if you also pick a female summon as your starting one. hazel said 'this was all because they wrote with the guy in mind.' however, five minutes of play would reveal that most of this dialog is unique to the female MC, and while the male NPC also has romantic dialog with some female NPCs, its very different.

the developers, flight plan, made games with gay content of pretty much every variety going back to the saturn days, and the swordcraft story sequels also have more gay content (including stuff with two dudes). the core summon night series that swordcraft story is a spinoff of also deals with gender identity some.

while making a mistake about a single GBA rpg in a video covering a dozen of them is relatively minor on its face, the mindset that leads to that mistake and decides to go for that framing is fundamentally flawed, and its a mistake that could be solved with giving the developers just the tiniest bit of benefit of the doubt, enough to actually look into it for five minutes. so i stopped watching hazels videos

Oh yeah I know that much, I love swordcraft story and its sequel and the lesbian dialogue blew me away the first time I played, restarted to see if it was there for dudes, and then fell in love with that game. I need to play the rest of the summon night games still, though. I meant more the deal with hazel's video because I didn't watch it: real lovely of her to do that though. Though this does remind me I need to go check on how the fan translation of the like, third? Swordcraft Story game is going, maybe it finally finished.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Alaois posted:

i actually turned on Quinton before any of this stuff, it was the Tobiscus fallen titans video where half the runtime of the 40 minute video is Quinton talking in a wretched sad monotone about how he wasn't sure if he was still going to make this video because of the Bad Things Tobiscus did without ever actually like, talking about whatever Bad Things Tobiscus apparently did

He lost me during his whole giant Garfield saga where he specifically avoided mentioning how Garfield Eats owner Nathen Mazri is a racist, anti-vaxx crazy person, presumably not to jeopardize receiving said giant Garfield.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Autisanal Cheese posted:

The recap videos are far and away the most successful ones on his channel, but it does look like they've been getting lower returns after the first Victorius one. The next most popular video on his channel after a string of those recaps is the mega-long Fred video that was exactly the same painful format, and then a 7 year old video on the fall of Leafy. So I guess the answer is it does get people watching. And talking... even if here it's more of a series of pained screams.

I missed when he did content like that collab with Worthikids about the old Rankin Bass claymation movies. Granted, a lot of that was how fun it was hearing Worthikids gush about how much he loves the technique in those and all the details he tried to properly model in his CG animations that mimic that style so well.

Worthikids: put out another Captain Yajima episode you coward!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-TJm7HkzkQ

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 27, 2023

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Completely tangential but I just remembered something when someone mentioned listening to music on YouTube. You know those hours- long video of a compilation of songs by channels with goofy names like "the best golden age of music" and "songs of love and peace" where they have a video of 50 Frank sinatra songs or soft rock of the 70s to 90s, etc? When I'm at my parents place they have an old mac in the kitchen where they would throw these on a playlist and just let them run in the background.

So something I've found was that some of these videos would end with one or two songs that were obviously not what the title was. Like that Frank sinatra video? It ends with a Filipino song from the 00s. A hank williams video ends with Vietnamese cha cha music.

If we suddenly paid attention we would listen in confusion yet none of the comments ("so beautiful, when I was a child I would dance in the bathtub to this, woke is the enemy to creativity") would make reference to this at all. It's happened in more than a few videos that we started noticing them. Does anyone know what is up with those?

My guess is it's a scheme to get royalties from music. YT has to pay royalties to the music holders when copyrighted music is played on YT, if a video has 50 Frank Sinatra songs, then they have to pay for those 50 songs. So your Vietnamese cha cha song gets a bunch of royalty money because it's at the end of a popular hour long Sinatra video.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Sometimes I wonder how much more popular in the future video game characters and music will be over theiir traditional media analogues simply because video games makers don't submit poo poo to ContentID algorithms and thus the creators who make up the next generations media intake are way more safe and comfortable using them for things on twitch, YouTube, etc

How much of an effect there

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Dime Store Adventures does stories about interesting gravestones he finds in new england. He just stitched together a few videos talking about some of my favorite cases of folklore about people willing their entire estate into a gravestone to spite their relatives
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucGJzqEAXM0

His enthusiasm and the level of research he goes into is incredible and the story is so silly i love it

e: oh wow that's a very Tuber thumbnail but it's still a neat video

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
was just coming in to recommend dime store adventures, definitely one of my favorite youtube discoveries over the past year. a lot of his stuff is just reading old newspapers at you but he has a fun delivery and presentation and you have to do real research to find a lot of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0RmB62MFU8

this one is I think my favorite of his, it feels like Neil cic's vid The 50 State Nightmares but real, it's incredibly funny. I think the Rhode Island one is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtbgt_afQUI

I will never stop cracking up at his delivery of "How're you doing, Boliver sock wad"

fake edit: also this 2 hour video on a 6 day long roller skating race in the 1880s might be his magnum opus, if you liked the dollop's episodes on weird late 19th century fads.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bird. posted:

Sometimes I wonder how much more popular in the future video game characters and music will be over theiir traditional media analogues simply because video games makers don't submit poo poo to ContentID algorithms and thus the creators who make up the next generations media intake are way more safe and comfortable using them for things on twitch, YouTube, etc

How much of an effect there
It depends on what the algorithm feeds on. Certainly there’s a lot of fan-made and mill-made FNAF videos bc it’s very pleasing to the algorithm, but is someone gonna get big making a Celeste or Dodgeball Academia fan animated series? Probably not

as for music, many content creators use video game music in the background already. All of ProZD’s (and most of Gabi Belle’s) videos use Animal Crossing music

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I'm gonna be honest, the obsession a couple of posters in this thread have with taking shots at Maggie Mae Fish is both baffling and kind of a bad look. Like, I'm sorry her take on Daddy Snyder upset you so much, but the way she apparently now lives rent free in a couple of posters heads is kinda weird. I don't think she knows or cares about this thread.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I just thought "nepo baby eater" was a funny idea.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

KingKalamari posted:

Like, I'm sorry her take on Daddy Snyder upset you so much,

Who is this even addressed at lol

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Guy A. Person posted:

Who is this even addressed at lol

CelticPredator

But I think there's a difference between having an intensely negative parasocial relationship and "I think this person's videos are boring and their analysis either isn't insightful or outright wrong". And I think everyone's post including Celtic's was like that?

mycot fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 27, 2023

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

mycot posted:

I just thought "nepo baby eater" was a funny idea.

Oh yeah, I'm not calling out everybody making jokes about her, that's just how this thread rolls. It's just that every time she comes up at least one poster ends up getting Weird™ about it.

KingKalamari fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 27, 2023

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I just think Quinton is bad at summarizing when he goes long form and does episode by episode summaries. The Fred video is probably the best example, the parts about how Fred was an early youtube hit, how it affecting someone who wasn't even 14 years old yet, and how thing have changed since then were good, but when he talked about the show it was plodding through the episodes in a way that really did not need to be as long as it was.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

KingKalamari posted:

Oh yeah, I'm not calling out everybody making jokes about her, that's just how this thread rolls. It's just that every time she comes up at least one poster ends up getting Weird™ about it.

I think in this case that might be you

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MMF is another creator that doesn't bother me too much except for the skits. the skits never work

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quinton's recent videos just remind me of linkara spending 3 hours summarizing the plot of a season of power rangers but at least linkara spends some time talking about behind the scenes stuff

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that's the thing! quinton puts out a 10 hour video and then the actual talking about the episodes is like one half hour of that 10 hour video (because it's just extremely dry recapping of episodes that for all i know comes right from wikipedia) and the remaining 9 and a half hours is random bullshit

it's like if noah caldwell gervais did an 8 hour video on super mario wonder and then spent 3 hours talking about mario happy meal toys

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

I think that's kind of the big difference: There's nothing inherently wrong with content that basically just summarizes a piece of media, but there's sort of the implicit expectation that a video like that is going to be bringing some other insight to the table. The fact that Quinton has done videos with an actual thesis or hook beyond "Man reads episode summaries for 9 hours is probably what makes the discussion of how bad his iCarly saga is such a fixture of this thread - If all his videos were like that then he'd just be another creator we wouldn't bother talking about, the fact that he's shown the ability to make worthwhile videos and instead chooses to focus on this nonsense makes his channel a tragedy. There's also the hubbub from a few months ago about him going through a series of frustrated, underpaid editors while making this bullshit that makes it a bit less harmless than the usual longform, low effort nostalgia-bait.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I am not wasting my time with Quinton videos. I could just watch anything else or try to watch new to me like Boardwalk Empire or the dozen other prestige crime dramas.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KingKalamari posted:

Yes, I think this is the case. By way of comparative example, look at how posts in this thread explain why Quinton’s latest videos suck poo poo without just calling him dumb and stupid over and over and then being mean when someone disagrees. It has the effect of raising the temperature such that the person is less likely to be brought up again, which is not great imo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

KingKalamari posted:

I'm gonna be honest, the obsession a couple of posters in this thread have with taking shots at Maggie Mae Fish is both baffling and kind of a bad look. Like, I'm sorry her take on Daddy Snyder upset you so much, but the way she apparently now lives rent free in a couple of posters heads is kinda weird. I don't think she knows or cares about this thread.

I will never stop and you can’t make me

Her and quinton suck tremendously. However I’d say MMF did more dangerous nonsense because I did see her stupid take repeated at me in another place

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Anime Abandon: Nutcracker Fantasy: Losing The History Of Anime And Christmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYUZNRMa9Mw

About giving credit when it's due and the consequences of not doing so.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I will never stop and you can’t make me

Her and quinton suck tremendously. However I’d say MMF did more dangerous nonsense because I did see her stupid take repeated at me in another place

You and I have very different standards for "danger"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it’s dangerous to insinuate someone is islamophobic because they have the media literacy of a dunce.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
re: Maggie Mae Fish, I had to think about why I was mixed on her more because honestly I compartmentalized that away since I don't really think about her much at all. I'm split on a lot of her media analysis videos. I do think that there's people on SA who will reflexively defend Zack Snyder the same way I can be set off by someone trash talking the 4th edition of D&D. (Because both are good.) I remember watching through the videos she did on his movies and sometimes going "Yeah, I could see how you'd read it that way, might not be what I'd say but eh," or wincing and thinking some parts were a reach. It's been like 3 years since those came out though, and I'm not interested in rewatching them atm to remember specifics.

I do remember finding her video on Auteur Theory and Method Acting to be a mess. Talking about how Kubrick was (allegedly? possibly? maybe not? depends who you ask and when?) abusive to his actors and we shouldn't deify him or his methods, and instead throw more roses to unproblematic fav David Lynch was awkward. And the section about how we excuse abusive behavior in male actors because they're "Method" felt like a sloppier execution of a similar Broey Deschanel video that had come out around the same time. Not in a plagiarism way, just a "this was a better constructed persuasive essay" way.

On the other hand, besides the Cats one I remembered liking the one where she analyzed a "rich white ladies 'rescue' a failing motel" Netflix series. I appreciated how it shifted into a discussion about what it means to come in and yuppie-fy a vacation spot, or worse, turn whole towns in scenic areas into short-term rental zones that drive out permanent residents and destroy communities. And I liked another video she did on "Off the Grid Life" grifters who dump a ton of money or build a log cabin on their parent's back 40 acres and pretend they're Davy Crockett for the youtube money. I'm very easily amused by people analyzing stupid grifts though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
should have made the video about how swordcraft story failed at its ultimate test: letting you kick incredible amounts of rear end with just your bare hands. shameful. no-crafting runs in ruins