Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Can I got some thoughts on Hero's Hour from those who've also played the Heroes of Might and Magic series, which this game appears to be directly paying homage to? I'm on the fence about the autobattler combat but just curious how well it does with the other elements of HoMM gameplay, if any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Kin posted:

What's the reason for these Persona games being overwhelmingly positive?

I've tried to read a few reviews of them to get a feel for what they're about and the best I can take away is that they're a super Anime JRPG with visual novel stuff in them.

Do they have decent stories, gameplay etc? If I liked playing stuff like Final Fantasy would I like them?

I'm not a huge fan of JRPGs, but I do like Persona 3-5. 4 and 5 especially as the characters and mood are a bit lighter and embrace some cool stuff about being young and in school. The personalities of the group, imo, really make the games shine.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Kin posted:

I've tried to read a few reviews of them to get a feel for what they're about and the best I can take away is that they're a super Anime JRPG with visual novel stuff in them.

Do they have decent stories, gameplay etc? If I liked playing stuff like Final Fantasy would I like them?

They do in fact have great stories, music, gameplay, style etc. best in class. It’s half dungeon crawler and half social life management. It’s very very good. 4 hook me and 5 is an all timer imo. They’re not unbearably anime the way like, a danganronpa is.

I highly recommend you try it if you like the genre.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kin posted:

How high is your tolerance for anime?

If it's high enough, Persona 3-5 might be for you. They're turn-based jrpgs hybridized with a dating simulation.

The gameplay loop is: read visual novel segments, do a dungeon (fight, grind, read more, maybe fight a boss), leave the dungeon, choose who to hang out with in your limited time slots, more visual novels, back to the dungeon, repeat. It works surprisingly well.

The stories of all three are also fairly good, again assuming you're ready for anime and highschools and anime highschoolers.

Persona 3 is about a transfer student finding out that their new school is haunted by monsters who appear an hour after midnight, and they team up with their local monster-fighting school club to get to the bottom of why this is happening. To fight monsters, unfortunately for my mom when she first saw me playing this game, your characters must summon their own powers by shooting themselves in the head with fake guns. I was not allowed to play this, because she was really worried about my mental health. (Now that I'm 30+ I appreciate her decision, but teenage me was FURIOUS)

Persona 4 is about a transfer student (yes yes) who moved to a rural area, and... oh god there are murders happening monthly. And after a lot - and I mean a LOT - of visual novel sequences, this game is wordy as gently caress - the only way your protagonist can stop the murders is by using their magical TV to go to the murderer's subconscious (dungeon) and stopping them by facing their superpowered evil side. The thing is - there is some evil mastermind controlling it all behind the scenes, and it's up to YOU to find out who it is. And also survive high school.

Persona 5 is about a highschooler who doubles as a thief and I haven't played it. I hear it's good.

Now, given that these are stories about teenagers written by adult dude developers and they touch on some sensitive topics (homophobia, bullying, suicide, gender issues, etc) there's going to be a lot of hit and miss in here, and I'm not even touching the ten year old dating thing. (Japan has a problem!) I'm not going to defend any of this, just - be aware that there's stuff to talk about in these games.

On top of all of this, they're big budget beautiful jrpgs with 100+ hours of fun turn-based combat, so if you're here just for that, there's a lot of it!

So these things are huge and popular and I'm not bitter that they stole the spotlight from Atlus' better franchise, Shin Megami Tensei, nosiree....

PS Persona 1 and 2 are very different, older, and the best way to play them these days is by playing their remakes on the PSP. I like them better, but I'm weird.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Persona 5 is also about a transfer student

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh and as a bonus, the Persona franchise also stands out from other jrpgs by having rap and pop music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jFaoLrLzd4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h73LvR8V2LA

This doesn't matter as much these days as Final Fantasy has embraced pop music (see X-2) and it's not all sweeping orchestral soundtracks, but this really made Persona stand out back in the day as HIP and POPULAR

e:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Persona 5 is also about a transfer student

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah there’s touching on some heavy or sensitive issues in a very “of its time and also from Japan” kind of way but if you can roll with that they’re incredibly engrossing games

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kin posted:

Persona 5 has a really engaging storyline with good voice acting, good soundtrack and a lot of flair in its UI and battle presentation. I really dislike that variety of turn based JRPG combat and persona's flavor of it is pure rocket tag for 95% of the fights, but I do think the persona system adds a lot (recruit enemies to use their abilities -> combine them into higher forms and inherit some of their abilities) because by the end of the game you've built up to personas that feel very powerful and also reflect your own personal journey through the game in how you chose to combine them. you also definitely get your money's worth out of it, I hit the credits with 105 hours on my save and that was on the original PS4 version that doesn't have the new content included the Royal version on steam.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

If you can handle final fantasy melodrama you can handle Persona. I would say it’s only overtly more “anime” in its art style. The overall tone and writing actually tends to be more grounded.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Phlegmish posted:

UnderRail: I'm ready to get my rear end kicked by absolutely everyone and everything as I scavenge for spare parts in this post-apocalyptic whatever

The default difficulty setting is actually quite hard. Easy mode still doesn’t pull punches and forces you to engage with all the mechanics, but still has enough “give” to where you aren’t spending +20 minutes reloading battles. Depending on your RPG experience and patience, I’d consider taking a look at this.

My Time at Sandrock is fun (I hated Portia) but the cuteness factor still doesn’t match Stardew Valley. All the dateables look like potatoes. Keep in mind that your storage chests are “cloud based”, which means you can pull items from there to complete commissions and projects without actually having to have them in your inventory.

Extremely curious about your take on Mass Effect 3 in 2023. My biggest gripe was that the squad mates were way boring compared to ME2 and the story arc in ME3 kind of fell flat for me even before the game ended.

mystes
May 31, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

The DLC entirely takes place after the main game and provides a lot of higher-level content. It also gives you an OP armor set right from the start that lets you speed through the base game, which you probably don't want to use if you're enjoying the base game. It's very very good DLC but don't worry about it unless you're sure you're going to play through the base game and keep going, or if you want an easy-mode armor set that makes you virtually invincible through base-game content.

e: Actually I guess it adds the Clutch Claw stuff to base game content which is a contentious mechanic that lets you 'break' parts of a monster to temporarily deal extra damage when hitting them there. Some people don't like it because it increases your damage so much that they feel it becomes necessary to engage with the mechanic. I like it personally but I still wouldn't bother with the DLC unless you're planning on playing the DLC content after the base game!

kazil posted:

Get the expansion later. It goes on sale often.
I also picked up Monster Hunter: World in the sale and was curious about the DLC so thanks

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Re: persona 5 chat. I haven’t played but my close friend played all of it. He has a higher anime tolerance than myself, but the story never felt cringe when I watched him (which was far too often). A little goofy, sure, since anime is dorky when it tries being deathly serious, but fine. His favorite parts were the social links and things you could supposedly do with your companions.

Curiously, despite not playing I am 100% Morganapilled.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Cool, thanks for the info, they sound like they're worth a bash (plus I've got a £10 Steam voucher to use on something).

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Kin posted:

Persona games usually have overwhelmingly positive reviews is mostly because they are very good in multiple areas like story, gameplay, music, etc.

Unlike many other JRPGs, there is a calendar system, so you have a finite number of things you can do in a playthrough. You normally cannot grind up your levels and/or do everything you can in a playthrough unless you know what you are doing or are on the lower difficulties. The game is a blend of a visual novel life simulator and turn-based combat, and the game succeeds with how doing well in one system helps in the other system and vice versa. (More on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H63Bqex1Urs&t=89s)

The story in Persona 3-5 is mostly about high schoolers facing some supernatural phenomenon related to society or human dynamics, and they are usually poignant or unique for the times (at least for Persona 3 and 4). For me, I got into Persona because of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUqivXMlpcQ

If you like playing stuff like Final Fantasy, I guess my question to you would be if you like if your turn-based combat FF game to have a section where you delve in each side character's backstory or relationship in a modern high school setting and that section would help you out in the turn-based combat.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Anyways personas aside, I have some questions!

I get paid on the 3rd and then it's time to go hog wild on my steam wishlist and I'm being indecisive.

A few notes before I get started:

1) I have covid right now, I'm exhausted and sick and I have been basically bed-bound since xmas. This sucks and I hate it and I have talked to my doctor and I'm doing all the right things - drink fluids, rest, quarantine, etc. So this is effectively me window shopping to get my mind off of how I can't stay awake long enough to read a book or play a video game properly. (I'm getting in some time with my laptop and easy to play jrpgs, but that's it...)

2) I love theory crafting my cart, trying to figure out what I'll play soon vs what I should wait on, and juggling prices and discounts.

3) While I try to play things soon after I get them, adhd is a beast and I'm going to be flighty as hell. So who knows what I'll get and then actually play.

So I'm looking for opinions like "you should get game X because it rocked my world by doing Y". Gives me stuff to think about!

What games should I buy in 2024?

- Witch on the Holy Night; visual novel about mages, written by Fate/Stay Night dude. Expensive at 36$
- Fate/Samurai Remnant; i'm a fate fan ok, seems to be an action rpg. Expensive at 45$
- Crymachina; robots in space fight to be sad. Expensive at 54$
- King Arthur's Knights Tale; play as sir mordred in an xcom rpg where you kill king arthur; 23$
- Harvestella; stardew valley but with a really wild plot that I hear goes places; 30$
- Baldur's Gate 3; vampire dating simulator, expensive at 54$
- La Pucelle / Makai Kingdom; PS2 strategy rpgs I loved as a teen, each is 13$
- Trails from Zero/Azure; jrpgs about cops, I have beaten and enjoyed FC/SC but not 3rd yet; 66$ to get both
- Misericorde; gay nuns mystery visual novel (unfinished?), 6$
- Case of the Golden Idol; case of me not liking the graphics vs wanting a mystery game; 23$
- Pentiment; mystery monk medieval time, 14$
- Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty; expansion pack, I feel I can't play the base game without it b/c I'm a completionist; 26$
- Fantasy General 2; panzer corp but fantasy? I like wargames sometimes... 20$
- Logiking; logical puzzle deduction but cards? hmm 5$
- Logic Town; strix you have everett kaiser at home, 8$
- Warlock 2; strix you have warlock 2 at home, 7$
- Guild Wars; strix why do you want to play 1 mmo let alone 3, 8$ for no subscription ain't bad tho
- Total War 3 Kingdoms; strix you have ro3k at home and you never get into total war games; 21$
- Signalis; cyberpunk visual novel?; 14$
- Darkest Dungeon 2; I hear it's better than the first in that it's not tied to losing 1 character and losing 10+ hours of progress; 23$
- Banished Vault; euro boardgame logic puzzle says hi; 23$

etc etc

I'm not spending 300$ so I want to be really really picky here and it's hard... but also providing good fun thinking about how to prioritize and such, and that's way more fun than thinking about how much my teeth itch right now.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Case of the Golden Idol; case of me not liking the graphics vs wanting a mystery game; 23$

The ugly graphics are part of the charm. Game is amazing. If you like Obra Dinn you will like Golden Idol

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hold off on this until you feel better. Fantastic game but it’s a slow burn and you’re going to need every mental resource put towards following the story and engaging in combat, which isn’t all that easy even on Easy. It’s a fantastic game but it takes some commitment to sit through. You’ll have to sometimes meander through quieter points between subplot climaxes. So it might be harder with ADHD.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Signalis is fuckin rad, it is a bleary, Lynchian take on space robots in hell with a ps1 aesthetic. More like resident evil than a visual novel. Pentiment is also fantastic, definitely get that. Phantom liberty is excellent but I'd get either that or bg3.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Pentiment was directed by a huge dork who is really into 15th/16th century Europe and specifically what becomes Germany later. It's incredibly good and gets even better if you know a few things about the area and history.

e: be careful not to bring up Martin Luther during lunch. Might lead to some heated arguments.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

kazil posted:

The ugly graphics are part of the charm. Game is amazing. If you like Obra Dinn you will like Golden Idol

I've beat Obra Dinn twice and fuckin' love it and I really should just get Golden Idol already.

buglord posted:

Hold off on this until you feel better. Fantastic game but it’s a slow burn and you’re going to need every mental resource put towards following the story and engaging in combat, which isn’t all that easy even on Easy. It’s a fantastic game but it takes some commitment to sit through. You’ll have to sometimes meander through quieter points between subplot climaxes. So it might be harder with ADHD.

I suspect it's going to be one I'll have to turn into a 'job' where I assign an hour to it daily regardless of how I feel - that's how I got through Avernum and how I'm getting through Avernum 2 (illness aside) - but yeah I know it's a marathon, not a sprint.

I didn't like BG1 when I tried it a few times, do I need to know about BG1/2 to enjoy 3?

sebmojo posted:

Signalis is fuckin rad, it is a bleary, Lynchian take on space robots in hell with a ps1 aesthetic. More like resident evil than a visual novel. Pentiment is also fantastic, definitely get that. Phantom liberty is excellent but I'd get either that or bg3.

How difficult is Signalis? I suck at Resident Evils.

And yeah, Cyberpunk is another marathon, it doesn't go nicely next to BG3.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Pentiment was directed by a huge dork who is really into 15th/16th century Europe and specifically what becomes Germany later. It's incredibly good and gets even better if you know a few things about the area and history.

e: be careful not to bring up Martin Luther during lunch. Might lead to some heated arguments.

I was raised methodist and I'm ready to throw hands with catholics whenever, wherever :v:

That sounds rad as hell though!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah my only complaint about P4 and 5 is that the director is pretty clearly a homophobe and you have a few recurrent gay panic jokes that rear their heads 2-3 times per game (which is pretty ignorable since the games are 100+ hours) but they still suck nonetheless. Persona's OST have always been great but 5 in particular mixes a lot of jazz into its OST and it's amazing

This is the main battle theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec4YbVP9R-A

This is one of the main 'chilling at night' tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFFOXwniVKw

Each boss has a battle theme and this is an all timer (no spoilers):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvuHvXsZPrk

Just top notch stuff. Here's the very first background song you'll hear in Persona 4, for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ue1JPFXEU

Azran fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 26, 2023

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Antigravitas posted:

Speaking of rope kid, he repeated his Game Developers Session talk on his Twitch channel a little while back and uploaded the vod on Youtube, probably more for people who have already played Pentiment though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhZcNA16m8A

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
special mention to the opening of persona Q2, which mixed the musical styles of all 3/4/5 into a single coherent track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GSuWkZ3kms

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

buglord posted:

The default difficulty setting is actually quite hard. Easy mode still doesn’t pull punches and forces you to engage with all the mechanics, but still has enough “give” to where you aren’t spending +20 minutes reloading battles. Depending on your RPG experience and patience, I’d consider taking a look at this.

My Time at Sandrock is fun (I hated Portia) but the cuteness factor still doesn’t match Stardew Valley. All the dateables look like potatoes. Keep in mind that your storage chests are “cloud based”, which means you can pull items from there to complete commissions and projects without actually having to have them in your inventory.

Okay, that's good to know, thanks.

quote:

Extremely curious about your take on Mass Effect 3 in 2023. My biggest gripe was that the squad mates were way boring compared to ME2 and the story arc in ME3 kind of fell flat for me even before the game ended.

I replayed Mass Effect 2 in early 2021, and unfortunately I already forgot most of the plot. I think I was dating the alien chick with the WWI gas mask. Anyway, I'll definitely let you guys know what I thought of ME3 when I'm done.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 26, 2023

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Another way to put it would be that I finish Persona 5 (base, non-Royal edition) on PS4 after 90 or so hours and I'd be down to buy it on Steam again if it weren't for Atlus' lack of regional pricing policies*
It's also legit impressive how they managed to make a great game despite it going through dev hell for the better part of a decade. Ever wondered why a bunch of party members barely appear in the game's intro? Yeah...

*though this applies to all major Japanese publishers, for gently caress's sake $5 off a $60 dollar title is barely anything you jerks :argh:

Azran fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 26, 2023

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

StrixNebulosa posted:

I didn't like BG1 when I tried it a few times, do I need to know about BG1/2 to enjoy 3?

Not really. There's some stuff that would probably be enhanced by knowing the earlier games including a couple returning characters, but it's set like a century later so much of the stuff that happened in the previous titles is now firmly just history and lore. I do not actually know but suspect the Dark Urge's whole deal ties back into the original games' overarching plot but I also expect it'd be well enough explained without needing to go back to them.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Be warned that when people say the persona games are half RPG half dating sim they're not kidding. If you don't engage with the dating sim elements you're left with a fairly standard style-over-substance JRPG dungeon crawler. The dating sim stuff is reportedly good but outside of that the stories are pretty thin and the gameplay isn't enough to carry the games on their own imo.

Beyond that I think a lot of their popularity comes from the fact that the villains are pretty much entirely morally bankrupt sex pests and abusers which is a hot topic these days and it feels righteous to beat them up.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 26, 2023

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

StrixNebulosa posted:

How difficult is Signalis? I suck at Resident Evils.

It's not too bad. I played on normal and killed almost everything I came across. When I ran low on ammo for one weapon, I would just switch to another and use that instead. Only died 7 times throughout my 12 hour playthrough.

If you play on easy or normal, there are enough health items and ammo to keep you going, unless you're actively wasting it. Protip: When you aim at an enemy, a box will appear on them. It will slowly get smaller the longer you aim, increasing the amount of damage done with that shot.

One thing it captures from classic RE is the limited inventory - 6 slots. However, there was a recent update that made it so that certain utility items, like a flashlight, don't take up one of your slots if you take it (previously it took up an inventory slot full stop). There are also options to increase the number of inventory slots so you can add more.

None of the settings affects the story or which endings you can get. So play on whatever feels best for you. If you just want to enjoy the story, Easy is just fine.

The puzzles are also pretty good, nothing outstays its welcome, since each puzzle is only used once, so you won't be carrying a crank around to lower a half dozen stairs to traverse.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Anyways personas aside, I have some questions!

I get paid on the 3rd and then it's time to go hog wild on my steam wishlist and I'm being indecisive.

You simply must play Pentiment.

Case of the Golden Idol is a very good time.

Signalis is not a VN it's a survival horror game in the Silent Hill vein but set in space.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I have a low tolerance for anime bullshit, just never been my thing, but I gave P5R a try through gamepass and loving loved it and finished the entire game which is not really something I do often for any game, much less a 100+ hour JRPG. It's extremely good. I don't have much desire to play any of the older ones but if/when P6 happens I'll probably be checking that out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
FYI, Signalis got a patch a while ago that optionally makes it easier/bit less frustrating.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
what ive learned this page is that "anime" just sorta means whatever

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Wrath has the only good Lawful Evil character ever written and he's a goddamn Gnome.

Regil should be a one note joke character but he's amazingly well written while never downplaying how being LE makes him a bastard.

Wrath and Kingmaker are some of my favorite games of the 21st century they are so good. They are rough to get into though and I never would have if my wife hadn't kept at me to stay on Kingmaker through the early annoyances.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Highly recommend this, it's the first volume but it felt so good to play, amazing characters and setting

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

What games should I buy in 2024?

- Witch on the Holy Night; visual novel about mages, written by Fate/Stay Night dude. Expensive at 36$
- Fate/Samurai Remnant; i'm a fate fan ok, seems to be an action rpg. Expensive at 45$
- Crymachina; robots in space fight to be sad. Expensive at 54$
- King Arthur's Knights Tale; play as sir mordred in an xcom rpg where you kill king arthur; 23$
- Harvestella; stardew valley but with a really wild plot that I hear goes places; 30$
- La Pucelle / Makai Kingdom; PS2 strategy rpgs I loved as a teen, each is 13$
- Trails from Zero/Azure; jrpgs about cops, I have beaten and enjoyed FC/SC but not 3rd yet; 66$ to get both
- Pentiment; mystery monk medieval time, 14$
- Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty; expansion pack, I feel I can't play the base game without it b/c I'm a completionist; 26$
- Fantasy General 2; panzer corp but fantasy? I like wargames sometimes... 20$
- Logiking; logical puzzle deduction but cards? hmm 5$
- Logic Town; strix you have everett kaiser at home, 8$
- Warlock 2; strix you have warlock 2 at home, 7$
- Guild Wars; strix why do you want to play 1 mmo let alone 3, 8$ for no subscription ain't bad tho
- Total War 3 Kingdoms; strix you have ro3k at home and you never get into total war games; 21$
- Signalis; cyberpunk visual novel?; 14$
- Darkest Dungeon 2; I hear it's better than the first in that it's not tied to losing 1 character and losing 10+ hours of progress; 23$
- Banished Vault; euro boardgame logic puzzle says hi; 23$

Banished Vault is math.gif the game and it has a lot of style... probably going to make my GOTY list this year.
Phantom Liberty is definitely worth it and I think it's going to be my #2 release this year, it really ties the whole thing together in really interesting ways

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Banished Vault is math.gif the game and it has a lot of style... probably going to make my GOTY list this year.
Phantom Liberty is definitely worth it and I think it's going to be my #2 release this year, it really ties the whole thing together in really interesting ways

What kind of math.gif, is it logic deductions or determining which ratio is better?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

Highly recommend this, it's the first volume but it felt so good to play, amazing characters and setting

Is the ending satisfying or too much of a cliffhanger?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

Regil should be a one note joke character but he's amazingly well written while never downplaying how being LE makes him a bastard.

Wrath and Kingmaker are some of my favorite games of the 21st century they are so good. They are rough to get into though and I never would have if my wife hadn't kept at me to stay on Kingmaker through the early annoyances.

I never finished kingmaker but I couldn’t put wrath down, it’s a big improvement. I need to play rogue trader when I have the time too, if it’s up to that narrative quality at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

What kind of math.gif, is it logic deductions or determining which ratio is better?

The latter, it is very "Cold Equations" in that you have a solar system with resources of varying difficulty to access and process to make the things you need to survive to the next system, and you have to spend resources to get resources in a limited number of turns. Your guide gives you all the formulae to plan things out but you also have to take into account attrition from random events, and/or the extra costs to mitigate those random events.

It's very mentally taxing but I thought in a good way